Conquer Club

KING of the MOUNTAINS MAP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby LoeNY on Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:27 pm

MR. Nate wrote:The "H" is big enough that not many people will think that it is next to just one line. It seems clear that all three lines address the "H"

The last line doesn't address the "H", just the first two.
Last edited by LoeNY on Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class LoeNY

Postby LoeNY on Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:34 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
Not when there are 5 territories that have the word "king" in the name.

All of these things have been done for weeks. The King of the hills went away Jan 15th. And the "H" with text has never caused any confusion until now. Players are to read a map. The text is plain, in sight and very legible.

The text is always plain, insightful and very legible to the creator. Isn't that why we have this forum to clarify things?

If everyone thought the "H" is clear, that's fine. I just thought it could be confusing.
Sergeant 1st Class LoeNY

Postby Molacole on Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:54 pm

ericleung wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:
Not when there are 5 territories that have the word "king" in the name.

All of these things have been done for weeks. The King of the hills went away Jan 15th. And the "H" with text has never caused any confusion until now. Players are to read a map. The text is plain, in sight and very legible.

The text is always plain, insightful and very legible to the creator. Isn't that why we have this forum to clarify things?

If everyone thought the "H" is clear, that's fine. I just thought it could be confusing.

what exactly is confusing you? You're going to have to point out exactly what you think is confusing you because we can't read your mind. Just point out what part you're confused about so we can move on. I just want you to type out what the problem is and then read what you typed.
Lieutenant Molacole

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:13 pm

It's looking good, and for the most part the coordinates are fine. But I'd like you to take a stab at fixing a few, and making them all 'centralized' in the same place.

I.E. compare on the small map: Y2 and B4 and G8. If you notice, one is high, one is middle, and one is low. See if you can centralize them all to one of positions.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby LoeNY on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:19 pm

Molacole wrote:what exactly is confusing you? You're going to have to point out exactly what you think is confusing you because we can't read your mind. Just point out what part you're confused about so we can move on. I just want you to type out what the problem is and then read what you typed.

I just thought it could be confusing that the "H" Symbol is next to the word Kings when it is referring to the Helipads. How about moving the "H"symbol next to the word Helipads on the first line?
Last edited by LoeNY on Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class LoeNY

Postby MonRepos on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:54 pm

Maybe you could just do something like this to stop the complaints about the H on the map key...

Just a thought, I just can't wait to play...
Corporal 1st Class MonRepos

Postby Unit_2 on Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:01 am

why is this map not uop yet?.. everyone loves it.. can you answer andy?
Corporal 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:03 am

Maybe you should actually read the thread, rather than randomly walking into topics and looking for a Quench. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Unit_2 on Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:13 am

well i have been looking tho it and you don't sya why its not on the site yet, its worked out in XLM
Corporal 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby KEYOGI on Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:29 am

Unit_2 wrote:well i have been looking tho it and you don't sya why its not on the site yet, its worked out in XLM

AndyDufresne wrote:It's looking good, and for the most part the coordinates are fine. But I'd like you to take a stab at fixing a few, and making them all 'centralized' in the same place.

I.E. compare on the small map: Y2 and B4 and G8. If you notice, one is high, one is middle, and one is low. See if you can centralize them all to one of positions.

On another matter... the Helipad thing is fine, I don't understand why it's even an issue.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Enigma on Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:07 am

KEYOGI wrote:On another matter... the Helipad thing is fine, I don't understand why it's even an issue.

ya...its perfectly understandable... all three lines are related to the symbol... the last line is simply clarifying that the kings cannot attack the symbol back. whats so complicated bout this?
Do you need an excuse to have a war? I mean, who for? Can't you just say "You got lots of cash and land, but I've got a big sword, so divy up right now, chop chop."
Terry Pratchet
Lieutenant Enigma

Postby LoeNY on Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:42 am

KEYOGI wrote:On another matter... the Helipad thing is fine, I don't understand why it's even an issue.

If everybody thinks it's not an issue, I guess I'm just being too picky. Everything else looks fine!
Sergeant 1st Class LoeNY

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:11 pm

Here are the updates you wanted Andy

I adjusted them as best as I could. there are just some of the armies on the small map that don't have a perfect spot.

http://jmhooton.iweb.bsu.edu/joel/KOTM/KOTM17.xml
Major WidowMakers

Postby Enigma on Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:11 pm

large map: b1, s4, t3, p3, g7, p1, s3 (too far to the right)
small map looks perfect to me :D
Do you need an excuse to have a war? I mean, who for? Can't you just say "You got lots of cash and land, but I've got a big sword, so divy up right now, chop chop."
Terry Pratchet
Lieutenant Enigma

Postby cowshrptrn on Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:19 pm

We can site here and argue over single pixels for days, but the placement is fine as is
Private cowshrptrn

Postby Jack0827 on Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:28 pm

cowshrptrn wrote:We can site here and argue over single pixels for days, but the placement is fine as is

I agree
Private Jack0827

Postby Coleman on Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:37 pm

I didn't say anything. :lol:

PS. I hate paint.
Last edited by Coleman on Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Lt. Valerian on Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:39 pm

Yes, this is silly nitpicking. The map is great! Let's play on it already!!!
Major Lt. Valerian

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:51 pm

Just to show you. The suggested moves several posts above just make the armies look to far to the left. Most of the armies are good but there are some that just don't fit perfectly. Here is the pic and new XML for the adjustments.

The small map is the same

http://jmhooton.iweb.bsu.edu/joel/KOTM/KOTM18.xml

I do agree with several of the other posters. This could go on forever and at this point this nitpicking does not help the map anymore (in my opinion). I am happy to make helpful changes but I have other maps to work on and trying to get every one army circle pixel perfect will not always work. The Small map had issues (thanks for pointing them out Andy) and those have been resolved.

I guess I am just saying there comes a point when I cannot adjust the armies to make it perfect for everyone because I cant move 1/2 a pixel
Major WidowMakers

Postby Molacole on Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:44 pm

widowmakers PM me if you want to get some games going when this map goes live!!! I do trips and it would be nice if I could you on my team for at least a few games.
Lieutenant Molacole

Postby KEYOGI on Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:10 pm

When working with your coordinates, are you turning the effects of your army circles off? If effects are turned off and all your circles are the same size then it makes no sense why they all can't be based off the same point!?! :?
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Enigma on Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:22 am

WidowMakers wrote:Just to show you. The suggested moves several posts above just make the armies look to far to the left. Most of the armies are good but there are some that just don't fit perfectly. Here is the pic and new XML for the adjustments.

I do agree with several of the other posters. This could go on forever and at this point this nitpicking does not help the map anymore (in my opinion). I am happy to make helpful changes but I have other maps to work on and trying to get every one army circle pixel perfect will not always work. The Small map had issues (thanks for pointing them out Andy) and those have been resolved.

I guess I am just saying there comes a point when I cannot adjust the armies to make it perfect for everyone because I cant move 1/2 a pixel

i actually think that helped- the issue is that your army circles have a shadow on the right, so in order to have the effect of the numbers being centered its ok if they are slightly too far left. better to far left than right.
sorry for the nitpicking, someone says this kind of thing at the end of every map and i just noticed those-- i want to see it quenched and live almost as much as you do. :|
Terry Pratchet
Lieutenant Enigma

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:28 am

Enigma wrote:i actually think that helped- the issue is that your army circles have a shadow on the right, so in order to have the effect of the numbers being centered its ok if they are slightly too far left. better to far left than right.
sorry for the nitpicking, someone says this kind of thing at the end of every map and i just noticed those-- i want to see it quenched and live almost as much as you do. :|

OK. You think it is better now. Andy could you delete the last poll and let me make a new one. I want to ask if people feel this map is done or does it need more army number location adjustments. Or I guess I can just ask here and if no one says anything we have an answer.

So how about it everyone. How does the map look now?

http://jmhooton.iweb.bsu.edu/joel/KOTM/KOTM18.xml
Major WidowMakers

Postby boberz on Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:35 am

ya good, to be honest i think the map looks great but i probably wouldnt play on it as it had limited appeal but i have still made suggestions when i could because i know loads of people do want to play
Corporal 1st Class boberz

Postby Gilligan on Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:59 am

Apparently the XML is only done for the large map?
Captain Gilligan

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas