Conquer Club

KING of the MOUNTAINS MAP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:36 pm

Here is the latest of the Abstract version of the KING OF THE MOUNTAINS.

The Mountains have been adjusted to the largest one has the most sides and the shapes of the bonus number match the shape of the mountain. I decided that it did not make sense to have the tops attack each other. How would that work. So I added 3 helipads in the White/Gray areas. These are used to attack any other helipad or Mountain top (KING). The header was redone and the shadows and lights were adjusted to the proper angles.

Here is the territory breakdown

Color ___Number_Borders_Bonus
Red_____13_____6______8
Green___9______5______7
Blue_____8______3______5
Purple___5______3______3
Yellow___3______2______2
White(S)_4______2______1
White(T)_3______2______1
White(C)_4______2______1

Well there you go. Any other suggestions. The poll currently shows that most people don't even want this map looking like this. Let me know.
Last edited by WidowMakers on Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Major WidowMakers

Postby Guiscard on Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:02 pm

New background is wicked!
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby Lone.prophet on Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:39 pm

Make the shapes a bit more hill form (parabol)
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby Lanceyboyuk on Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:18 pm

the new background is alot more attractive to play IMO
Sergeant 1st Class Lanceyboyuk

Postby Lupo on Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:49 pm

In my opinion, the conic hill shape should be the highest hill, not the lowest.

Why:

- the circle is the upper limit of a regular poligon
"Nature is a temple in which living pillars
Sometimes emit confused words;
Man crosses it through forests of symbols
That observe him with familiar glances."
Sergeant 1st Class Lupo

Postby Guiscard on Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:53 pm

Lupo wrote:In my opinion, the conic hill shape should be the highest hill, not the lowest.

Why:

- the circle is the upper limit of a regular poligon

But it gives less oppertunities for territories on different faces.
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby Kid_A on Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:52 am

i love this map! cant wait to play on it
Major Kid_A

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:29 pm

THIS IS GREAT! The poll is about 50/50. What do I do AndyDufresne? Should I make both maps and then have people vote when both are done?

I don't want to spend time on something that will eventually be junked.

Tell me what to do.
Major WidowMakers

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:20 pm

It's up to you, to decide what you would like. If you want to spend the effort on creating two versions, by all means go ahead.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby cowshrptrn on Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:55 pm

Just keep it the way it is, either way u'll piss of the same amount of of people, this way you have less work to do!
btw, i still think the triangle hill looks a bit funny, i think the angle facing us is too close to 90 which would imply a square. If you can make it around 60 i think it might look more triangular, then again i've never done any 3D artwork so i'm just shooting in the dark.

i like the way you've changed the blue hill. you might want to bump the white continents bonuses up to 2, they seem too large for a single
Private cowshrptrn

Postby Dickie B. on Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:52 am

I really like the way it looks right now. The geometric shapes and defined borders make it very easy to tell which territories are linked. The only thing I would do differently is to move the bridge between G3 and R4 up to connect G4 and R6 and also connect it to B4. That would give Blue Mountain one extra border and make the border count go in a descending order starting with Red that has 6 and ending with Yellow that has 2. It also makes it harder to hold for the 5 bonus armies. I really enjoy that the helipads will play a huge role in the game, potentially creating an additional three borders to any given hilltop. They will be very strategic points. You will also have to be careful of how many armies you fortify to the top of the hill if you conquer it from a helipad because once they are up there they are stranded with down being the only way out, assuming that you cannot fortify down to the helipad from the peaks. I would like to know how the fortification would work from peak to helipad. I didn't notice any details on it but I think it would take more strategy if it wasn't possible, but it would also make the helipads more valuable if it was possible and create more incentive to hold the pads and the Square, Triangle, Circle groups than the 1 bonus army. Overall I think it is an excellent map.
Corporal Dickie B.

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:29 am

Well here is the newest map. I adjusted the boarders to allow blue to have one more. The Kings are now worth 6 if you own them all.

I am working on the XML and it should be done by the end of tomorrow for all to see and test using the map tester.
http://www.multiblah.com/cc_tester/
If you want
Last edited by WidowMakers on Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major WidowMakers

Postby Marvaddin on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:33 am

The smal version is very small...
Maybe you could exchange C2 and C4, because I fell the helipad should be at the highest point, don you agree?
The bonuses are usually to high. We can discuss later...
I dont see any reason to connect R4 and G3. But some connection could be higher, I think, like R8 to B6, instead of R6 to B3.
The connection between Y1 and S4 is confusing. It seem to coneect Y1 and S2.
Major Marvaddin

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:47 pm

Here is the XML for the maps

http://jmhooton.iweb.bsu.edu/joel/KOTM/KOTH.xml

The bonuses were calculated just like the method used for the underground map in the forum.

Marvaddin wrote:The bonuses are usually to high. We can discuss later...

High Bonus:
They may seem high but the number of territories required to hold the red or the green is quite large and there are many boarders.

Marvaddin wrote:Maybe you could exchange C2 and C4, because I fell the helipad should be at the highest point, don you agree?

Helipad on C4:
I wanted to make all of the white groups on have 2 territories needed to hold the entire group. I needed to make C4 the helipad. It is lower yes, but it still is the largest.

Marvaddin wrote:I dont see any reason to connect R4 and G3. But some connection could be higher, I think, like R8 to B6, instead of R6 to B3.

This was a suggestion from another player. I added the connection to give red 6 boundary territories, green 5 and blue 4.
Last edited by WidowMakers on Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major WidowMakers

Postby ericisshort on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:54 pm

First off, this is definitely my favorite map in development right now. Its really well done, extremely creative, and beautifully drawn... especially this final version.

But like everyone else I have a few gripes. I'll try to give them to you with reasons.

First of all, I think that all of the bonuses are way too too high... Everything should be lowered by at least one army. The shape groups DEFINITELY should be worth only one army each because the strategic advantage of the heliports are reason enough to capture them. As they are now, if you can hold the shape groups and the small mountain, you will only have four places to defend and ALL the advantage for taking the other mountains.

Gripe #2... not trying to sound over critical on the design here, but why did you decide to seperate the bottom of the four main mountains? I really liked that. You could still have the bases the same bridges between upper levels but I really like the way they looked locked together.
Captain ericisshort

Postby hulmey on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm

your wrong ^^^^^^^

the bonuses are good....This is a different king of map. I have played something similar and bonuses are spot on.

A great, new fresh map.
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby ericisshort on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:39 pm

why am I wrong? Yes it is a different kind of map... and thats what I like about it, but HUGE bonuses can ruin gameplay.
Captain ericisshort

Postby sfhbballnut on Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:15 am

the bonuses are good, they are proportionatly right as far as I can tell
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby cowshrptrn on Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:19 am

They seem god, except for purple. I would normally say the continents are too big, but the smaller 2-continents make up for it
Private cowshrptrn

Postby Dickie B. on Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:20 am

Just a few suggestions,

Try adjusting the bonuses to
Red-9, 13 territories, 6 borders
Green-6, 9 territories, 5 borders
Blue-5, 8 territories, 4 borders
Purple-3, 5 territories, 3 borders
Yellow-2, 3 territories, 2 borders
Square, Circle, Triangle-1

-I know there are some bigger than normal gaps in bonuses but there are bigger than normal gaps in the amount of territories per group.

-Even though the white groups are bigger than yellow mountain, they are more strategic with the helipads. I think the white groups should be a bonus of 1 army.

-I like the bonus for having all the peaks, but maybe make the bonus 1 army on each peak. It would add a little twist to it, but thats just an idea.

-I like how the borders are set up. It is easy to distinguish which territories link to each other.

Is there fortification from peak to helipad?
Corporal Dickie B.

Postby berwatchey on Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:50 am

i voited for what you currently have. it's different and origional. why make it any other way? =)
Private 1st Class berwatchey

Postby ericisshort on Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:36 am

Dickie B. wrote:Just a few suggestions,

Try adjusting the bonuses to
Red-9, 13 territories, 6 borders
Green-6, 9 territories, 5 borders
Blue-5, 8 territories, 4 borders
Purple-3, 5 territories, 3 borders
Yellow-2, 3 territories, 2 borders
Square, Circle, Triangle-1

-I know there are some bigger than normal gaps in bonuses but there are bigger than normal gaps in the amount of territories per group.

-Even though the white groups are bigger than yellow mountain, they are more strategic with the helipads. I think the white groups should be a bonus of 1 army.

-I like the bonus for having all the peaks, but maybe make the bonus 1 army on each peak. It would add a little twist to it, but thats just an idea.

-I like how the borders are set up. It is easy to distinguish which territories link to each other.

Is there fortification from peak to helipad?
I totally agree with you on everything here except the bonus per peak. Maybe bring back the original peak bonus of 1 for 2 peaks, 2 for 3... etc.
Captain ericisshort

Postby socralynnek on Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:29 am

If a player new to this map plays it, there will surely be one question which could be made clearer in the legend:

Can hilltops attack each other and can they attack back helipads?

If I see it correctly, the answer is no, but it could be a little clearer, but I don't know how...
Corporal 1st Class socralynnek

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:40 pm

Just to let everyone know. My master photoshop file of the large map is corrupt. I will need to do it all over if we all decide to change anything else. I don't have a problem with doing it, just letting everyone know.

Basically since the vote is currently split 50/50 for abstract and natural, I am going to keep abstract now. After the poll runs out I will run one asking about bonus values. After the input there, I will update the XML and see what Andy has to say about moving forward.

-Issues:
I Currently the issue of bonuses and the issue of readability of the key. Is there anything else?
Major WidowMakers

Postby wcaclimbing on Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:03 pm

could you make the connecting lines between the mountains look better? right now they look choppy and badly done. I think you should make them more round with smoother colors

Cause the entire map looks smooth and clean, but the connecting lines look...rough (cant think of a better word to describe it)?
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas