Conquer Club

Greater China [Quenched] (thanks Widowmakers)

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Lone.prophet on Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:24 pm

the new bridge looks nice though the ends need to be cleaned up
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby bedplay on Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:29 pm

I did them, so they are crap...

It's just ideas, wisse what gfx package you using?
I would say fireworks is best for stuff like this then photoshop...
"It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it."
- General Douglas MacArthur
Private 1st Class bedplay

Postby Wisse on Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:22 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:Hi Wisse. Didn't realise you were doing a new map as I was a bit busy in the past days. Anyway I am going to give you some feedback but I didn't have time to read the thread so ignore my comments where the issues have already been addressed before.

1. It's IMPASSABLE borders not impossible ;)
2. The fonts in the legend are great but I have problems reading the fonts on the map. You seem to have put a choice, but I actually prefer the ones I cannot read properly. Maybe if you style them a bit they are the best choice. (Xinjiang type)
3. I am still not convinced with the sea routes. Maybe you could try a curvy dotted line?
4. The bridges are a bit ugly. Look into better graphics that create a 3D effect.
5. Try to make the Great Wall of China look more like a wall than an ordinary impassable border.
6. I like the texture of the sea and the flag!

That's all about the visual aspect for now. Keep up the good work! ;)

5) did it already but isn't much for an update
1) i will change it
2) bissy with it
3) bissy with it
4) bissy with it
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Wisse on Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:24 pm

bedplay wrote:I did them, so they are crap...

It's just ideas, wisse what gfx package you using?
I would say fireworks is best for stuff like this then photoshop...

i have a mac so i don't know where you talking about,
i have tright the brigeds but it wouldn't work :S
i don't know how to do all those things
i can do much with photoshop, but i haven't got other programms
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Ruben Cassar on Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:37 pm

You've got the best so you should be able to do everything with Photoshop. There's no need to use another program.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Wisse on Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:39 pm

but i can't make my sea routes better (or can you tell how you did make those dottles?)
and my bridges are totaly 0,00 :S
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Qwert on Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:12 pm

please explain

NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Wisse on Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:16 pm

qwert wrote:please explain

yeah i know that :P i must add a small piece to the map, i will do that in my next update, srry i didn't understand your quistion first
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Guiscard on Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:32 pm

I really don; like the bridges. If you mean the dots I used in the Mongol map then they're just circles of a colour with outer glow and emboss.
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby Wisse on Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:32 pm

Guiscard wrote:I really don; like the bridges. If you mean the dots I used in the Mongol map then they're just circles of a colour with outer glow and emboss.

ok i try that ;)
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby bedplay on Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:39 am

overall wisse, the map is one of the nicest looking (Especially with the font!) plus the most interesting, In my opinion anyway. I'm looking forward to the next update!
"It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it."
- General Douglas MacArthur
Private 1st Class bedplay

Postby Wisse on Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:45 pm

bedplay wrote:overall wisse, the map is one of the nicest looking (Especially with the font!) plus the most interesting, In my opinion anyway. I'm looking forward to the next update!

i will try to update it, but it will be about a quite time i think, i've had an operation on my foot and i am quite bissy in real-life
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Wisse on Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:16 am

update:

i have,
changed the amry shades
changed the sea-routes
changed the bridges
added a river
added bridges to rivers as i think it would be the most fun to play
changed the great wall (texture & emboss)

i didn't change the left border that qwert mention because i couldn't do it without making the whole thing again, so i will do that at the last point when everythign is done, because i can than make a .jpg and add a little piece of map to it, so it will be done but not now ;)

should i add some mountains on the line north of w.xizang (+ that piece of e.xizang) + qinghai?
should i lighter the picture like bedplay did? (30 Jan 2007 19:46 in my topic)

P.S
i see now that i was forgotten to change impossible to impassible, i'll change that next update
Last edited by Wisse on Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Wisse on Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:19 am

and about the font,
i don't know what to do, most people says that it is a great font, but some people say they can't read it, mayby its better to see if i lighter the picture but mayby not,
mayby can andy say something for the font?
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Wisse on Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:49 am

and i thought of the possible bonuses:

lanzhou 3 (5 countries 4 borders)
beijing 2 (3 countries 3 borders)
shenyang 2 (3 countries 3 borders)
chengdu 3 (4 countries 4 borders)
guangzhou 4 (5 countries 5 borders)
jinan 1 (2 countries 2 borders)
nanjing 5 (6 countries 5 borders)

stars 1
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Wisse on Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:39 pm

bump
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby KEYOGI on Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:18 pm

I haven't really paid this thread much attention, not sure why.:oops:

Try a different font for a start and tone down that water texture. :wink:
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby RjBeals on Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:20 pm

Wisse - I like the map, but as far as visuals:

1) I really don't care for any of the fonts on the actual map. The legend font is very cool. The outlined font's just don't fit - and they are hard to read. Why did you choose them? They don't fit the China theme imo.

2) Your water is cool - haven't seen that style before. I'm not sure about the water dots / waterways. I guess they are okay, but something doesn't feel right with them.

3) I like the land drop-shadow over the water, so the land stands out more (my map has tons of drop shadows).

4) Your 2 blue territories may be too close in shade. When I look at the legend & then to the map, it's a little hard to tell apart. I haven't read back through all the thread pages, if it doesn't bother anyone, then I'm fine with it.

5) Your solid sharp black country borders are great. No wondering what country borders what.

6) The great wall looks a little out of place. I've never been a big fan of the bevel/emboss filter if it's overdone (like the wall). Anyone can draw a line and give a 10 point outer bevel to it. I would like a pattern or something better. Just me.

7) Overall your map looks flat. Not that others may prefer this, I kind of like textures. The non-china map areas (grey/brown map area) should be dressed up a bit more. I think I see some texture in it, but not enough to make a difference. I don't think you want to add so much that it distracts from your playable map, but maybe add a little more to it.

I like the map & will keep watching the progress. Great Work so far !!
Private RjBeals

Postby Wisse on Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:37 pm

KEYOGI wrote:I haven't really paid this thread much attention, not sure why.:oops:

Try a different font for a start and tone down that water texture. :wink:

ok in my next update i have tone down the water texture, i actual can't find a good font, so i will be searching for that
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Wisse on Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:45 pm

RjBeals wrote:Wisse - I like the map, but as far as visuals:

1) I really don't care for any of the fonts on the actual map. The legend font is very cool. The outlined font's just don't fit - and they are hard to read. Why did you choose them? They don't fit the China theme imo.

2) Your water is cool - haven't seen that style before. I'm not sure about the water dots / waterways. I guess they are okay, but something doesn't feel right with them.

3) I like the land drop-shadow over the water, so the land stands out more (my map has tons of drop shadows).

4) Your 2 blue territories may be too close in shade. When I look at the legend & then to the map, it's a little hard to tell apart. I haven't read back through all the thread pages, if it doesn't bother anyone, then I'm fine with it.

5) Your solid sharp black country borders are great. No wondering what country borders what.

6) The great wall looks a little out of place. I've never been a big fan of the bevel/emboss filter if it's overdone (like the wall). Anyone can draw a line and give a 10 point outer bevel to it. I would like a pattern or something better. Just me.

7) Overall your map looks flat. Not that others may prefer this, I kind of like textures. The non-china map areas (grey/brown map area) should be dressed up a bit more. I think I see some texture in it, but not enough to make a difference. I don't think you want to add so much that it distracts from your playable map, but maybe add a little more to it.

I like the map & will keep watching the progress. Great Work so far !!

1) because i thought it looked good and more people do, but some people can't read it so i have to change it, i don't know to what other yet, the most fonts doesn't fit

2)its just the water texture in photoshop (in anather map) look and find! XD, i have also that feeling it doesn't fit with the map (the dots)

3)yup i do too

4)there was no-one that compains about this ;) ,but i thought it was good too see?

5)yup i like those, p.s i didn't even draw them they are just strokes (blending options)

6)if you look there is actually a texture in it, but i'll try some other things, if someone has ideas

7)well i like the flat :), and yes the gray/brown area has a texture and i think it looks good because the point is china and not that area ;) but i can try to put a bit more in it
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby RjBeals on Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:10 pm

I'm okay with everything but the map font. Flat style is fine, Textures are fine. Great well is fine, water dots are fine - but the Font is my biggest dislike.

You are the designer so I'n my mind, you have the ultimate say - but my choice would be to change it. Have you tried

http://www.1001freefonts.com Tons of free fonts that could work.

Good Luck.
Private RjBeals

Postby Wisse on Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:30 pm

RjBeals wrote:I'm okay with everything but the map font. Flat style is fine, Textures are fine. Great well is fine, water dots are fine - but the Font is my biggest dislike.

You are the designer so I'n my mind, you have the ultimate say - but my choice would be to change it. Have you tried

http://www.1001freefonts.com Tons of free fonts that could work.

Good Luck.

i didn't have that one but i have this one http://www.dafont.com but i'll look at your site ;)
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Guiscard on Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:42 pm

Yeh the font needs fixing, and also i'm not so keen on a 'flat' looking map having an embossed great wall graphic. I'd prefer you to play around with more fitting graphics like you have done with the bridges (which look great by the way).
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.

Postby Wisse on Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:44 pm

Guiscard wrote:Yeh the font needs fixing, and also i'm not so keen on a 'flat' looking map having an embossed great wall graphic. I'd prefer you to play around with more fitting graphics like you have done with the bridges (which look great by the way).

ok so the 2 greatest points are, fixing the wall, and adding anather font,
ok i'll do that tommorow
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Guiscard on Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:50 pm

I'd go for a simple font (non-oriental looking) for the territory names and keep the pretty fancy stuff for the legend. I like the legend font a lot.

A further point is that the impassable borders legend is:

a) pelt wrong (Impassable not Impossible) and
b) Pretty large, considering its importance and what it contains. I;d scale the oval down somewhat.

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas