Conquer Club

The Texan Wars [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby spiesr on Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:58 am

I still think that you need to justify this maps exsistance somehow. We don't need (and should not have) a map for every state. If we let you, won't we have to let everyone? Change something so this isn't just a simple Texas map...
Captain spiesr

Postby Aerial Attack on Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:41 am

Go ahead and put the legend in Mexico - so we can see what your ideas are for bonuses.

Without any other information, a +3 for holding 3 terrs (that 1 person could be dropped on) is fairly generous. I guess if you started them neutral.

In the map making tips and tools thread there are excel spreadsheets with sample bonus calculators.
My Conquer Club Scripts | Bests: 2133, #205
Sergeant Aerial Attack

TEXAS

Postby rgbubba on Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:57 pm

spiesr wrote:I still think that you need to justify this maps exsistance somehow. We don't need (and should not have) a map for every state. If we let you, won't we have to let everyone? Change something so this isn't just a simple Texas map...

Texas is the most recognized piece of land known around the
world. When you say cowboys everyone thinks of Texas. Plus this land mass has more resources than any other states like oil, corn, orchards, cattle and more. And how can you match the state in having an assortment of land texture, from the west desert to the south beaches to the north mountains to the east Trees and lakes. AND REMEMBER THE ALAMO. You have what the whole nation has in one state. I believe Texas can stand as it’s own country if it came to it. Yes people my start other state maps but it will not match up with a well known places as TEXAS.

I will try to change some things I'm look on the theme of the old west. If you look at my lastest maps you can see that I have been working hard to make it one of the best ones you can play.
Private rgbubba

Thanks for the advice.

Postby rgbubba on Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:59 pm

Aerial Attack wrote:Go ahead and put the legend in Mexico - so we can see what your ideas are for bonuses.

Without any other information, a +3 for holding 3 terrs (that 1 person could be dropped on) is fairly generous. I guess if you started them neutral.

In the map making tips and tools thread there are excel spreadsheets with sample bonus calculators.

It's just a thought on a bonus Idea.
Private rgbubba

Postby rgbubba on Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:00 pm

Aerial Attack wrote:Go ahead and put the legend in Mexico - so we can see what your ideas are for bonuses.

Shure thing Give me some time to work on it.
Private rgbubba

Re: TEXAS

Postby spiesr on Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:01 pm

rgbubba wrote:Texas is the most recognized piece of land known around the
world. When you say cowboys everyone thinks of Texas. Plus this land mass has more resources than any other states like oil, corn, orchards, cattle and more. And how can you match the state in having an assortment of land texture, from the west desert to the south beaches to the north mountains to the east Trees and lakes. AND REMEMBER THE ALAMO. You have what the whole nation has in one state. I believe Texas can stand as it’s own country if it came to it. Yes people my start other state maps but it will not match up with a well known places as TEXAS.

I will try to change some things I'm look on the theme of the old west. If you look at my lastest maps you can see that I have been working hard to make it one of the best ones you can play.
And your map relfects all of that how? (Other than simply being of Texas.)
Captain spiesr

Postby Elijah S on Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:13 pm

spiesr wrote:I still think that you need to justify this maps exsistance somehow. We don't need (and should not have) a map for every state. If we let you, won't we have to let everyone? Change something so this isn't just a simple Texas map...

I completely disagree.
Maps should be judged by their merit in graphics and gameplay.

This map, to me, proves intriguing on both!

My one suggestion would be allowing Oklahoma to attack. It seems only fitting, seeing as how they kick the Longhorn's butts whenever they play!
Just a suggestion! ;)
Sergeant 1st Class Elijah S

Re: TEXAS

Postby rgbubba on Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:21 pm

And your map relfects all of that how? (Other than simply being of Texas.)

I'm working on it! I'm making ajustments alittle at a time. Like the wagon Wheel theme. I know that you my not like it, but others would like to see it as one of the game boards.

Thanks for bring up the questions. It will help me look for better ways in making the game play great. If you have any ideas please share.
Private rgbubba

Postby rgbubba on Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:23 pm

Elijah S wrote:

I completely disagree.
Maps should be judged by their merit in graphics and gameplay.

This map, to me, proves intriguing on both!

My one suggestion would be allowing Oklahoma to attack. It seems only fitting, seeing as how they kick the Longhorn's butts whenever they play!
Just a suggestion! ;)

Thank you!!!It should be about playing and having fun with building a map. That's whats great about the map making ideas. I'll keep it in mind about the Oklahoma idea.
Private rgbubba

Postby Unit_2 on Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:47 pm

it looks good :wink: the only thing i see is its a little "flat" as in it looks like a map of the area, not a map on to play on, try to make the stuff "pop-out" a little more.
Corporal Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby rgbubba on Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:58 pm

Unit_2 wrote:it looks good :wink: the only thing i see is its a little "flat" as in it looks like a map of the area, not a map on to play on, try to make the stuff "pop-out" a little more.

Thanks I'll see what I can do. Please remind me if I forget.
Private rgbubba

Postby rgbubba on Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:59 pm

See what you guys think now with Bounses!! I also change some of the playing field. I might even take out Pleasanton and make San Antonio Bigger. I dont' know yet.

Private rgbubba

Postby Aerial Attack on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:11 am

LonrStar = LoneStar

You definitely need to put something with the actual color of the bonus area in the legend (isn't exactly easy to read the continent names under the terr names and army circles). Put a picture of a wheel in there too (and the LoneStar).

As for the bonuses

West Texas - 4 terrs, 3 defense points (including wheel in El Paso) = 2 bonus
The Panhandle - 8 terrs, 3 defense points = 4 bonus
East Texas - 5 terrs, 2 defense points = 2 bonus
South Texas - 6 terrs, 4 defense points = 4 bonus
Central Texas - 9 terrs, 8 defense points (including wheel on DFW) = 6 or 7 bonus
The Gulf - 7 terrs, 4 defense points (Houston has wheel but is already a defense point) = 4 or 5 bonus
Hill Country - 10 terrs, 5 defense points = 6 bonus
LoneStar - I assume this is Austin (which would be additional to the Hill Country bonus)? = 1
Wagon Wheels - 3 terrs, 3 defense points = 2 bonus
My Conquer Club Scripts | Bests: 2133, #205
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby rgbubba on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:42 am

Aerial Attack wrote:LonrStar = LoneStar

You definitely need to put something with the actual color of the bonus area in the legend (isn't exactly easy to read the continent names under the terr names and army circles). Put a picture of a wheel in there too (and the LoneStar).

As for the bonuses

West Texas - 4 terrs, 3 defense points (including wheel in El Paso) = 2 bonus
The Panhandle - 8 terrs, 3 defense points = 4 bonus
East Texas - 5 terrs, 2 defense points = 2 bonus
South Texas - 6 terrs, 4 defense points = 4 bonus
Central Texas - 9 terrs, 8 defense points (including wheel on DFW) = 6 or 7 bonus
The Gulf - 7 terrs, 4 defense points (Houston has wheel but is already a defense point) = 4 or 5 bonus
Hill Country - 10 terrs, 5 defense points = 6 bonus
LoneStar - I assume this is Austin (which would be additional to the Hill Country bonus)? = 1
Wagon Wheels - 3 terrs, 3 defense points = 2 bonus

Thanks that give me more of an idea on how things work. I can make the names of the areas darker. Would that work?
Private rgbubba

Postby rgbubba on Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:17 am

New Changes on Bounses!!

Private rgbubba

Postby spiesr on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:02 am

Take the white barely visible names off the map and color code the legend.
Captain spiesr

Postby rgbubba on Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:31 pm

spiesr wrote:Take the white barely visible names off the map and color code the legend.

I will not be able to until Sunday.
Private rgbubba

Postby Unit_2 on Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:57 pm

its still flat, try to make the inpassable stuff a little more realistic.
Corporal Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby rgbubba on Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:31 am

Unit_2 wrote:its still flat, try to make the inpassable stuff a little more realistic.

I'll try but I'm new at graphic and design.
Private rgbubba

NEW MAP

Postby rgbubba on Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:34 am

I added Bounse!!!

Private rgbubba

Postby DiM on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:30 am

i like the addition of the indian tents. it fills that empty space nicely and adds a new continent.

regarding the gameplay i think the map is ok (if austin starts as neutral)

regarding the graphics i think it's really nice with a few exceptions.

1. impassables. the mountains are kinda strange and dont really stand out. make them a bit more mountainy :P the forest line is good. and the barbed wire is also good in it's form but not so good in color and texture. make it a bit more metalic using a nice texture or gradient and make it stand out better.

2. army circles. those white circles are nasty and i don't like them at all. you should either keep the round shape and make it more transparent because right now it's too eye catching or better yet try using something specific to the map. like use sheriff badges as army circles or use cowboy hats or something like that. they will blend better and add flavor.

3. dual color names. those like galveston. make them entirely black not black and white.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Mr_Niels on Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:40 pm

personally, i like the map, it looks great! im just not a fan of the barb wire.. i think its kinda ugly
Major Mr_Niels

Postby wcaclimbing on Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:32 pm

Fantastic map!

only thing is, while its not "ugly", the barbed wire is a bit difficult to see, and doesn't really look like barbed wire (IMHO).

Perhaps contrasting them a bit more from the background and making them look more metallic or something would help. Right now its just a bit difficult to see on the map, and i think that could be improved some.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby rgbubba on Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:21 pm

Mr_Niels wrote:personally, i like the map, it looks great! im just not a fan of the barb wire.. i think its kinda ugly

I agree. I'll start as soon as I can.
Private rgbubba

Postby oaktown on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:07 am

Join us as we spread the Foundry's good news to the world!

Post a description of your map at
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32474

:D
Captain oaktown

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas