Conquer Club

Philadelphia [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Philadelphia - updated 3/7 pg 13

Postby Riskismy on Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:41 pm

RjBeals wrote:my opinion is the bricks look shitty. and I didn't just say it looks bad. I gave a visual example of something better to reference. I'm not about to offer step by step methods to do create this map better.

I wasn't referring to you in particular, though probably the way you express your opinion was what prompted my comment.

I'm saying that while having maps that look super great is all fine and well, I don't believe all maps has to be compared to these maps.
This background is more than acceptable in my eyes, and I simply offer that view as a counterpart to those who think that every single map has to have a graphical expression just as great as if they had made them themselves. They do not. Even with my short time here, it's obvious that a few people with great skills in various drawing tools constantly drive up the lower threshold of what is acceptable merely because "All sound advice must be followed". It stands to reason that a professional designer will have 'sound advice' (i.e. it will look better), but this so-called advice often puts unreasonable demands on the amateur, which robs the community at large of a fun map.
'nuff said - wouldn't want to make this yet another 'personal platform'. ;)
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby RjBeals on Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:34 pm

I'm not a professional designer. But i have more graphical talent than gameplay. So thats where I focus. And there's tons of maps that I comment on that I personally think could be improved. But I know how the foundry works, and if you're persistent and patient, your map will be quenched.

The beauty about this site is that it opens the map making process to everyone. No skills required to start. But hopefully, if someone has enough interest in mapping to create one, he also wants to get better. Sure our graphics feedback is merely our own opinions, but the map makers can take them and do what they want. Personally, I think the bricks look bad, and should be worked on. Sure you can tell they are bricks, and you can tell that that map is suppose to be painted on a wall - but it could be improved.

And there is a lot of BS to sort though in this foundry. Take if for what it is and don't get too personal with it. It will just get you frustrated and pissed.
Private RjBeals

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:34 pm

I think i agree with RJ on this. The problem is that the line work isn't corresponding with the texture of the bricks. Theoretically, if it were really painted on brick, it would divit in and out with each individual brick. How to simulate this effect without going in and redrawing every line with careful precision... I'm not sure. RJ seems to have an idea.

My idea, seriously, would be to grab some $1 acrylics from walmart and hit up a brick wall and snap a photo.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby natty dread on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:34 am

Industrial Helix wrote:I think i agree with RJ on this. The problem is that the line work isn't corresponding with the texture of the bricks. Theoretically, if it were really painted on brick, it would divit in and out with each individual brick. How to simulate this effect without going in and redrawing every line with careful precision... I'm not sure. RJ seems to have an idea.

My idea, seriously, would be to grab some $1 acrylics from walmart and hit up a brick wall and snap a photo.

How about you go to the brick layer, use select by colour to select the gaps. Save the selection just to be sure. Then go to the line layer and cut & paste the selection to a new layer, but move it 1-2 px southeast. Take the previous selection again, invert it and clear selection. Do the same on the colour layer.

Then just fill up the holes on both layers, and do some manual retouch, and done.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Industrial Helix on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:17 pm

That might work Natty.

Though, looking at the comparison between RJs and the Phillie map, I see that all of RJs colors have a hue influenced by the red of the brick. See how what woudl normally be white is slightly red due to the color beneath it?
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby RjBeals on Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:41 pm

I did a lot of work on the brick.

I used a pattern from cgtextures - i think this one. Then I really worked on the colors. As natty said, I know that I selected the grout part and used that as an overlay on top of the text. I also used a grunge brush to give a more dirty feel on the corners. I also used a grungy font from dafont. But I forget which one. I don't the ps file on this computer.

Here is a link to the large map file, so you can see closer how it looked.

http://i.imgur.com/lVYii.jpg
Private RjBeals

Postby ironsij0287 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:53 pm

Couldn't you just do a Google image search for large images of a brick wall? That would give you something big enough to be a backdrop and have all the inconsistencies in it you need.
Sergeant 1st Class ironsij0287

Postby natty dread on Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:05 pm

ironsij0287 wrote:Couldn't you just do a Google image search for large images of a brick wall? That would give you something big enough to be a backdrop and have all the inconsistencies in it you need.

No see the image would have to be non-copyrighted.

Postby ironsij0287 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:26 pm

natty_dread wrote:
ironsij0287 wrote:Couldn't you just do a Google image search for large images of a brick wall? That would give you something big enough to be a backdrop and have all the inconsistencies in it you need.

No see the image would have to be non-copyrighted.

Yeah, those pesky copyrights. Well, you could get lucky and get permission to use it. But you might as well go photograph a brick wall yourself than hassle with it.
Sergeant 1st Class ironsij0287

Postby RjBeals on Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:30 pm

um.... i linked to a perfectly good brick wall pattern.
Private RjBeals

Re: Philadelphia - updated 3/7 pg 13 [VACATION]

Postby porkenbeans on Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:15 pm

natty_dread wrote:
Industrial Helix wrote:I think i agree with RJ on this. The problem is that the line work isn't corresponding with the texture of the bricks. Theoretically, if it were really painted on brick, it would divit in and out with each individual brick. How to simulate this effect without going in and redrawing every line with careful precision... I'm not sure. RJ seems to have an idea.

How about you go to the brick layer, use select by colour to select the gaps. Save the selection just to be sure. Then go to the line layer and cut & paste the selection to a new layer, but move it 1-2 px southeast. Take the previous selection again, invert it and clear selection. Do the same on the colour layer.

Then just fill up the holes on both layers, and do some manual retouch, and done.
yes, so basicly what you want to end up with is making a png file of the finished image, then import in from the png. to your psd (work) file- two layers. Then on one of those newly imported layers you erase the grout, and on the other you erase the brick. Then go ahead and make your position shift on the grout layer. Then on both layers go in and add some beveling and/or drop shadows.

This should give the relief that you are looking for.

Just make sure that before you go and make that png file, that you have your colors and such, the way that you want. It needs to look like spray paint on brick. Right now it dose not. play around with those transfer modes on some of your filters.

And finally, go in to the grout layer, and clone stamp the side of all the grout lines created from the layer position shift. Or just hide it all with a new border layer. (outside frame).
Last edited by isaiah40 on Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved and put on Vacation per mapmakers request
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby porkenbeans on Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:19 pm

RjBeals wrote:um.... i linked to a perfectly good brick wall pattern.
Yes, cgtextures is my favorite texture site. All textures are free domain, and it is free.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby natty dread on Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:34 pm

porkenbeans wrote:
Yes, cgtextures is my favorite texture site. All textures are free domain, and it is free.

Pssht, real artists make their own textures ;) ;) :P

Postby porkenbeans on Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:15 pm

natty_dread wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:

Pssht, real artists make their own textures ;) ;) :P
Vi-ray-toss, but "real artists" get paid for their work. :P

But seriously, real artists use texture sites on a regular basis. ;)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby natty dread on Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:36 pm

porkenbeans wrote: "real artists" get paid for their work.

Then why are they always starving?

I don't... there's no texture that can't be created DIY with a little creativity.

Postby porkenbeans on Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:05 pm

natty_dread wrote:
porkenbeans wrote: "real artists" get paid for their work.

Then why are they always starving?

I don't... there's no texture that can't be created DIY with a little creativity.

Do you make your own fonts ?

Do you make your own brushes ? Brushes ARE pre-made textures that someone else made. Same with fonts.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby natty dread on Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:13 pm

porkenbeans wrote:Do you make your own fonts ?

Do you make your own brushes ? Brushes ARE pre-made textures that someone else made. Same with fonts.

Yes, I make my own brushes. I have plenty of self-made brushes. Fonts... well, not very often, but only because there aren't very good free font-creating softwares. I have been experimenting with hand writing though. For example, on the Korea map which I'm currently working on (in gameplay) I made the title by hand. And parts of the legend. (I also used a self-made brush for the handwriting...)

But hey, pork, we're no longer on topic here... if you want to discuss this in more detail, throw me a pm or start a thread in foundry discussions. Let's keep RB:s thread about RB:s map ;)

Postby lostatlimbo on Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:48 pm

I like the idea (both gameplay and graphics). I agree that the brick texture needs a little work, but I think you should keep at it - the 'graffiti' look is interesting and a good fit.

I also agree that the font is a little tough to read and that the bridges could be a lot more noticeable.

Additionally, I think the Center City inset map needs to have a little more of the surrounding regions visible. You can just barely make out where the borders in S. Philly and N. Philly are in relation to the inset. Those tiny lines will be invisible on a small map.

Lastly, doesn't this map desperately need a Liberty Bell somwhere? :)
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby Z-Rambo on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:42 pm

I agree the Liberty Bell should be more present. I would love to see the Territory Dots replaced with little Liberty Bells once gameplay is instituted.
Private 1st Class Z-Rambo

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:32 pm

*peeks in* RedBaron?!? How goes this??? :P
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby RedBaron0 on Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:15 pm

I uber busy, for the next 4 weeks at least, probably best to vacation me till I can get back to it, figure an update in the area of Easter.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:19 pm

Per RedBaron0 request this map has been [Moved].
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby natty dread on Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:55 am

Aww :(

Postby RedBaron0 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:39 pm

Expect some movement soon, gotta catch my bearings and read back a page or two and figure out the direction I wanna go here. ;)
ImageImage

Re: Philadelphia - updated 5/10 pg 15

Postby RedBaron0 on Tue May 10, 2011 2:20 am

Click image to enlarge.

Okay, I'm back and working, this isn't totally complete, but I wanna get this out there and people looking at it again though. I've hit a real wall with the bridges, the main ones and the smaller ones too. The toll sign I'm kinda hating, and may have to think of something new. I know I got a lot of work to do yet, but think I'm moving in a positive direction!
ImageImage

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas