Conquer Club

Baseball: King of Diamonds (v15 p.27)

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Baseball: King of Diamonds (v8 p.8)

Postby carlpgoodrich on Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:03 am

MarshalNey wrote:That said, I think the +4 auto deploy might be a bit much. A large initial stack and a smaller autodeploy might make the game less crazy and benefit "lurking stackers" a lot less. Maybe, 10-12 initial troops (10 at present, yes?) and a +2 autodeploy?

I think this would also do the trick. My point wasn't just that it was hard to defend bonus regions, it was that everyone gets +4 auto every turn, so a bonus region of +3 is not worth as much as it is in most maps. I would be in favor of reducing the autodeploy on pitchers and leaving the rest of the bonuses the same.
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby Evil DIMwit on Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:51 am

Still, with having to go through both batters and balls, only +2 autodeploy is a little anemic. I'll take the balls down a troop as well.
Click image to enlarge.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:35 pm

What do the home run balls assault/bombard? Couldn't find anything in the legend...
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby army of nobunaga on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:39 pm

this is going to be a really sharp innovative map man.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby Evil DIMwit on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:12 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:What do the home run balls assault/bombard? Couldn't find anything in the legend...

They don't assault anything. They just give a bonus. Do I need to make that clearer?
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Re: Baseball: King of Diamonds (v9 p.9)

Postby army of nobunaga on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:13 pm

um no.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:38 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:What do the home run balls assault/bombard? Couldn't find anything in the legend...

They don't assault anything. They just give a bonus. Do I need to make that clearer?

Hmm that's a shame... I don't think you need anything in the legend.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby carlpgoodrich on Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:37 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:
Evil DIMwit wrote:

Hmm that's a shame... I don't think you need anything in the legend.

A Shame? I like it a lot. You want a bonus of +4 you say? How many troops are you willing to sacrifice to protect it? It adds a unique twist. Now that I am thinking about it... what if the two home run balls were worth different amounts (maybe one is a grand slam with more starting neutrals but worth +5 or 6)? That would give a player the option of playing it a little safer with the normal home run but it would attract less attention, or you could go for the kill (the grand slam) but that would make you more of a target. It would add an extra wrinkle to the strategy. Or would it just be an unnecessary complication?
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby Evil DIMwit on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:15 am

carlpgoodrich wrote:Now that I am thinking about it... what if the two home run balls were worth different amounts (maybe one is a grand slam with more starting neutrals but worth +5 or 6)? That would give a player the option of playing it a little safer with the normal home run but it would attract less attention, or you could go for the kill (the grand slam) but that would make you more of a target. It would add an extra wrinkle to the strategy. Or would it just be an unnecessary complication?

The physical space is certainly there. Frankly I could take it or leave it. The grand slam doesn't make much sense theme-wise because occupying the bases is the goal of the game.... I suppose the more sensical thing theme-wise would be "Home run! +2 per base" and I'd rather have Home Run be a thing someone can pursue without connection to the bases.
But sense can hang in the name of gameplay, so as I said I can take or leave the Grand Slam idea. I'm tending towards leave, actually, since +4 seems plenty bonus for a single territory already.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:20 pm

Update: Now with territory labels, and realistic-looking numbers.
Click image to enlarge.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:27 am

Good... but I think you should put the letters on all of the territories (so CL1, CL2, CL3, etc.)
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Army of GOD on Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:29 pm

Also, you kinda messed up the labels.

Like, you put FL instead of LF, CL instead of LC, CR instead of RC and FR instead of RF.

And the territs on the dirt should be RD and LD and the grass territs should be LI and RI.

Or, that was what I suggested earlier. I'm not sure if someone else said something differently...sorry if that's true.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:17 am

Far left, Center left, right center, far right, right infield, left infield, right diamond left diamond, is what I had in mind.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:18 am

Ohhh, ok. Gotchya
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:42 pm

Any further comments, guys?
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby carlpgoodrich on Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:31 pm

Are you set on the title? I know it was brought up earlier, but I think "King of the Diamond" is more appropriate than "King of Diamonds" because a baseball field is often called the diamond, but I have never heard it used this way in the plural.

Also, another off the wall (no pun intended) idea from your truly: I am looking forward to seeing how the catcher position ends up being used in games. I am wondering if it might be a good idea to let the catcher attack the mound. There isn't a ton of reason behind this other than that catchers often throw to the pitcher and it would create another avenue for attacking the mound and therefore the pitchers. Just a thought.

Overall though, I think its just about stamp time :)
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:59 pm

carlpgoodrich wrote:Are you set on the title? I know it was brought up earlier, but I think "King of the Diamond" is more appropriate than "King of Diamonds" because a baseball field is often called the diamond, but I have never heard it used this way in the plural.

Perhaps so but then the pun is lost. And I do like me some pun.

Also, another off the wall (no pun intended) idea from your truly: I am looking forward to seeing how the catcher position ends up being used in games. I am wondering if it might be a good idea to let the catcher attack the mound. There isn't a ton of reason behind this other than that catchers often throw to the pitcher and it would create another avenue for attacking the mound and therefore the pitchers. Just a thought.

Not bad in principle but there are enough territories that border the Mound that I think it's not worth the extra text.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby iancanton on Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:35 pm

make it harder for someone to be eliminated early in quads, by letting each pitcher start with 10 instead of 12 and the mound have 15 neutrals rather than 12.

reduce the neutrals on the bases from 5 to 4, on the defenders from 3 to 2 and for each baseball from 2 to 1. there is evidence from castle lands that 4 neutrals is about right for a +2 bonus; this map is much more open, so 5 neutrals would deter players from taking the bases in most games. a similar argument applies for the defenders' neutrals being reduced. there's no need to have 2 neutrals on the baseballs, since their sheer number means it's impossible to block someone by stacking.

consider an increase in neutrals from 1 to 2 for the batter, to stop it from being hit for easy spoils every time at the start. actually, once it's been conquered, players are likely to follow each other out, so a single neutral for each baseball encourages players to use different parts of the field rather than simply to follow the previous player. if this is done, then the total neutrals to kill before reaching the field at the start remains at 3.

are the home runs +4 for each? writing the +4 twice removes any doubt.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:10 pm

I think these changes are all good/fine except for lowering the Pitchers' starting value. I don't think it needs to be that low, even for Quads games, and I want pitchers to start with plenty troops so players can set up their 'colonies' or however it works.

ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby iancanton on Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:41 pm

on examination, i think u're right that the pitchers need to start with plenty, otherwise opponents will easily pick off anyone who dares to run on to the field. the pmd's 15 neutrals already give a good measure of protection against very early elimination. time to be stickied!

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Re: Baseball: King of Diamonds (v9.4 p.10)

Postby RjBeals on Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:47 pm

i don't care for the bright green borders. Maybe a thicker black would look better?
Private RjBeals

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:21 pm

RjBeals wrote:i don't care for the bright green borders. Maybe a thicker black would look better?

(Graphics comment - just wait a little longer buddy)

I think the gameplay's all hammered out IMO.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:35 pm

Graphic comments are fine and welcome but I probably won't start working on those until some time next month.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby danfrank on Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:49 pm

I like the idea of a baseball map and i really do not want to bash. But these graphics are really not up to par. Texture could be added to the grass and dirt. Along with other things :geek:

Funny i just read your explanation to graphics ... Your probably still weeding the game play :P
Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby iancanton on Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:52 pm

not any more!

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas