Conquer Club

California [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: California 2.3

Postby The Bison King on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:28 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Ok a lot of big changes on this version, I might miss a few in the summary.

-A lot more border clean up and name re-arrangement.
-I tilted the whole map just for Jeff-Jeff
-I shrunk the stars a little bit
-I added the Bear
-I added mountains between Bakersfield and L.A (although the graphic is only temporary, I'll need to draw some new mountains to fit in that spot)
-I changed Palm Springs to Salton Sea
-In accordance to something said a long time ago I moved he pass in the Sierra Nevada mountains to Eldorado

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby jefjef on Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:22 am

Nice map Bison! =D>

Really like the title graphics. Glad you tilted the map. Looks good. :)
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:47 pm

You should tilt it back :lol:

(JK it looks good)
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby RedBaron0 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:29 pm

Alright I can concede the point of about the necessity of the stars, but could you make look more like the walk of fame then? To me, these stars are just ordinary and rather drab in comparison to the rest of the map.

The loopy script font, while nice when larger, just isn't that appealing at the size you've got here. Most especially on the small map. As it seems you're looking for a kind of Hollywood feel for the map, why not find a font in that vein? Like the Hollywood sign.

I would dare say the Hollywood sign might not be a bad addition to the map somewhere, but I know the sign doesn't really represent all of Cali.... your call. ;)
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby The Bison King on Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:53 pm

Click image to enlarge.

As it seems you're looking for a kind of Hollywood feel for the map, why not find a font in that vein? Like the Hollywood sign.

I didn't do the whole thing because I didn't like where it was going. The idea is sound but the letter just look to bulky and well... hideous. Maybe they could be used in the mini map or legend.

Alright I can concede the point of about the necessity of the stars, but could you make look more like the walk of fame then? To me, these stars are just ordinary and rather drab in comparison to the rest of the map.

A stars a star, I don't know how you propose to make it look more star like. Maybe a little gold trim?

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:03 pm

I think if you found a less bold version of that font, it would work well, TBK.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby The Bison King on Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:29 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:I think if you found a less bold version of that font, it would work well, TBK.

No I really don't like it. It's just too much for the territory names.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby RedBaron0 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:15 am

Agreed, it's too bold and bulky. How about this one I found called Baja California?

The gold rim would be a nice touch to the stars.
ImageImage

Postby The Bison King on Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:32 am

RedBaron0 wrote:Agreed, it's too bold and bulky. How about this one I found called Baja California?

The gold rim would be a nice touch to the stars.

I think your link image screwed up. Could you send me another link? where did you find it?

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Vlasov on Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:16 am

Four suggestions:

1) San Fernando Valley (S.F.V.) actually lies mostly WEST and north of Beverly Hills and Hollywood. I would suggest switching the name S.F.V. with Beverly Hills/Hollywood, enlarging the S.F.V. boundary toward the west, and consolidating BH and Hollywood under one name (since they are both very small geographically).

2) Maybe those brown mountains south of Bakersfield should wrap a little bit more around the western and eastern boundaries, without cutting off any passes.

3) Also, you might consider adding a brown mountain barrier between San Diego and Salton Sea.

4) Modesto shouldn't be a Star region. It's even smaller than Bakersfield, and now that you added those southern mountains, the San Joaquin Valley is already easier to seize.

(From an inhabitant of Bakersfield who grew up in San Diego and also lived in the S.F.V.)
Cadet Vlasov

Postby RedBaron0 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:41 am

ImageImage

Postby The Bison King on Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:34 pm

Looks good, I'll try it on tomorrow.

2) Maybe those brown mountains south of Bakersfield should wrap a little bit more around the western and eastern boundaries, without cutting off any passes.

Yes, it shall be done.

3) Also, you might consider adding a brown mountain barrier between San Diego and Salton Sea.

Nah, It doesn't seem like it would serve a purpose.

4) Modesto shouldn't be a Star region. It's even smaller than Bakersfield, and now that you added those southern mountains, the San Joaquin Valley is already easier to seize.

Ok, it is already an important enough territory since it's such a choke point.

1) San Fernando Valley (S.F.V.) actually lies mostly WEST and north of Beverly Hills and Hollywood. I would suggest switching the name S.F.V. with Beverly Hills/Hollywood, enlarging the S.F.V. boundary toward the west, and consolidating BH and Hollywood under one name (since they are both very small geographically).

I think I undestand but wouldn't that reduce the # of territories in LA? I'm not sure I want to do that.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby The Bison King on Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:18 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Ok I tried out that font on here, and well it looks a lot better when it's larger. When shrunk down to fit it only looks so-so.

I played around with a number of different styles on different territories:

Baja black---Mt. Shasta, Lassen, trinity ect...

Baja White--- Gold Country Plumas

Baja white with drop shadow--- Contra Costa, Lake Tahoe

Baja White with black outer glow--- Stockton, Yosemite

I also brought back the Hollywood font because admittedly it looks a lot better in white, but it still might be too chunky in certain regions

Different examples:

White with drop shadow--- Bakersfield, Mojave

With with black outer glow--- Hollywood, Central, Malibu, Needles ect...

I also tried a different font on "No Name" all the rest are Monotype Corsiva

Feedback strongly desired.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby natty dread on Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:56 pm

Contra Costa is the best one definitely. It fits the style of the map. You could make the shadow a bit sharper, and with a bit less distance, so it looks like it's only slightly elevated. Also reduce the line spacing a bit.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:03 pm

I think I like Stockton best. Easier to see than Contra Costa. Like the font, btw.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:11 pm

Oh and,

use if you want
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Re: California 2.4

Postby The Bison King on Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:28 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Aside from the font, I made a few changes:

-Modesto is no longer a city territory
-I added better looking mountains below Bakersfield.
-L.A.'s font is the Hollywood font
I rearranged L.A's territories and changes the names (Beverly Hills = Burbank, and San Fernando Vally = Pasadena) I think this makes a lot more sense.
-also I switched San Francisco and LA's values. LA is now only +5 and Bay Area is +6

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:28 am

Just change the rest of the fonts then I think you're good to go.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby jefjef on Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:57 am

Looks like the insert army circles are going to be really congested. Might want to dedicate more of the insert maps to the actual region that the insert maps are for.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby The Bison King on Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:44 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:Just change the rest of the fonts then I think you're good to go.

Which font's are you refering to?

jefjef wrote:Looks like the insert army circles are going to be really congested. Might want to dedicate more of the insert maps to the actual region that the insert maps are for.

I don't do army circles. but I do need to approach the subject of XML. I've considered doing it myself but really I guess I'd just prefer farming it out again.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Vlasov on Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:32 am

This map is looking better and better! I like the font and name changes. I have a few more corrections and suggestions:

1) Yosemite and Kings Canyon actually lie WEST of the Sierra range. In fact, Kings Canyon & Sequoia national parks are adjacent, and only a little south of Yosemite -- and Yosemite is by far the best-known of those three parks. Also, Fresno lies much farther south; only 100 miles NNW of Bakersfield. How about the following name changes:

Yosemite ---> Mammoth (famous ski resort)
Fresno ---> Yosemite (with no star)
Sequoia ---> Fresno (with the Fresno star)
Kings Canyon ---> Bishop

2) If you need to make more room for the army circles in L.A., you could expand the exterior boundaries of Los Angeles slightly toward the west (into Santa Barbara), east (into Mojave Desert), and southeast (into San Diego) and re-draw L.A. accordingly. Those neighboring territories have plenty of room to spare.

3) Would you consider changing "No Name" to China Lake? (after the Naval weapons test site in that area).

Keep up the good work!
Cadet Vlasov

Postby The Bison King on Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:52 am

This map is looking better and better! I like the font and name changes.

Thanks I'm glad people like the font, and I too think this is really coming along.
To address some of your suggestions... well I don't think you are exactly right about some of them. I don't want to come across as rude but I have some google maps evidence to support how I have things.

1) Yosemite and Kings Canyon actually lie WEST of the Sierra range.

No they really aren't WEST of the mountains. Yosemite is IN the sierra Nevada mountains. As you can see in this map The dark Green strip is where the mountains begin. Yosemite is about 50 miles EAST of that in the white area which represents the tallest part of the range.

Click image to enlarge.

And here's the map with Kings Canyon. You can see it has a similar placement inside of the mountain range.

Click image to enlarge.

Fresno lies much farther south; only 100 miles NNW of Bakersfield.

Again I'm sorry but you're wrong. As you can see in this map if you draw a straight line East from Monterey you'll end up in Fresno. If you do the same on my map you'll see that it is in the same spot.

Click image to enlarge.

2) If you need to make more room for the army circles in L.A., you could expand the exterior boundaries of Los Angeles slightly toward the west (into Santa Barbara), east (into Mojave Desert), and southeast (into San Diego) and re-draw L.A. accordingly. Those neighboring territories have plenty of room to spare.

We'll see I think I'll be able to fit everything in there with only minor fenegaling. If worst comes to worst I'll have to do that.

3) Would you consider changing "No Name" to China Lake? (after the Naval weapons test site in that area).

I think someone else suggeested that, I'm rather fond of "No Name" though.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks, and I down mean to come across as down on your suggestions but I calls it like I sees it.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Vlasov on Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:40 am

Okay, on viewing your maps, I stand corrected about Sequoia and Kings Canyon; however your map shows that Yosemite is mostly west of the Sierra range.

As a denizen of the southern SJ Valley, I have visited those parks by driving uphill from the south or west along the SJ highways and access roads. Also I have traveled north along the east side of those mountains more than once, through Lone Pine (gateway to Mt. Whitney), Bishop, Mammoth, Bridgeport, Mono Lake, Carson City NV, and on up to the Lake Tahoe area. My mental map obviously doesn't match up like it should.

Well then, what about re-naming certain territories as "Mammoth" or "Mono Lake" up north of the Sierra Nevada region, south of Lake Tahoe?
Cadet Vlasov

Postby Vlasov on Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:17 pm

The Catalinas -- what about those little offshore islands?
Cadet Vlasov

Postby Kevin707 on Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:54 pm

The map is looking great! :D
Corporal Kevin707

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas