California [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

California [Quenched]

Postby The Bison King on Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:39 pm

ImageImageImage Image Image
[/quote]

California. Being the most populous state, and third largest in land area, I figured that it is important enough to earn it's own map. Also before anyone says "there are to many America maps already" I'll point out that the only map of an American state on this site is Texas wars.

All cities start with 2 neutral.

It's a standard play map with 2 insets for the San Fransisco bay, and Los Angeles. There are also city territories that can be collected for additional bonus points. 52 territories.
Last edited by The Bison King on Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 71 times in total.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant 1st Class The Bison King

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Re: California

Postby Industrial Helix on Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:30 pm

Ooo... pretty.

The cities seem unnecessary though and will likely overcomplicate the map. Though, perhaps there is a better way to integrate them, such as making them optional pieces to a regional bonus?
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:55 pm

I like the cities, they bring a little something extra to the gameplay.

I also particularly like the insets, that's a really clever way of doing insets - putting them right next to the areas they are insetting for (is that a proper word?) is a good solution, makes it easier to visualize.

My only worry is the narrowness of the map, seems a bit too chokey... perhaps adding a few ports could help? Or maybe the cities that are on the coast could connect to each other?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby The Bison King on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:13 pm

Yeah I figured that there are just too many large cities in California to not make them a part of the gameplay.

My only worry is the narrowness of the map, seems a bit too chokey... perhaps adding a few ports could help? Or maybe the cities that are on the coast could connect to each other?

I think a little choke can be a good thing and there aren't any significant points that are less than 3 wide. That being said I can definitely see a potential for adding ports or air ports. We'll see if it becomes a necessity later on.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Postby porkenbeans on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:29 pm

A possible solution to the "skinniness" is, you could change the view, so that you are not directly over the top, but rather at the bottom looking up at an angle. This would foreshorten the image so that it is squashed down in height. Google Earth is great for grabbing these kinds of distorted, er, different perspective images. ;)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3)
General Contribution (1)

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:36 am

Something like this, King.
Click image to enlarge.
This works out pretty good in that "Southern California" is the most populated, and therefore you will have more area to work with there. ;)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3)
General Contribution (1)

Postby The Bison King on Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:32 am

uh yeah, well... thanks for the advice... but I'm not doing that.

General Contribution (3)

Postby The Bison King on Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:38 am

No disrespect but just because the perspective is scewwed to make southern California look bigger, doesn't actually make it bigger. Also Southern Cali's population isn't greater. The majority of south Cali is an empty desert. LA is the 2nd most populous city in the US true, but just because there is one big city there doesn't mean that the whole of Southern Cali is more populated.

The Geography stands. California is shaped as it is.

General Contribution (3)

Postby grifftron on Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:46 am

The Bison King wrote:No disrespect but just because the perspective is scewwed to make southern California look bigger, doesn't actually make it bigger. Also Southern Cali's population isn't greater. The majority of south Cali is an empty desert. LA is the 2nd most populous city in the US true, but just because there is one big city there doesn't mean that the whole of Southern Cali is more populated.

plus you took a long time to paint that sheesh! geez...

-griff
‹army of nobunaga› me and so many other people including people in your own clan look at you as a joke
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 120
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (14)
Clan Achievement (16) Training Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (3)

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:29 am

The Bison King wrote:No disrespect but just because the perspective is scewwed to make southern California look bigger, doesn't actually make it bigger. Also Southern Cali's population isn't greater. The majority of south Cali is an empty desert. LA is the 2nd most populous city in the US true, but just because there is one big city there doesn't mean that the whole of Southern Cali is more populated.

I am from California. LA and San Diego are just about all one ginormous city. You can drive 4 hours to cross it. :lol:

About the perspective, I was just offering something up for your consideration.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

General Contribution (1)

Postby The Bison King on Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:53 am

I am from California. LA and San Diego are just about all one ginormous city. You can drive 4 hours to cross it. :lol:

Never been to San Diego, I heard it rules. I was in LA last summer. East Hollywood specifically. What part of the state do you live in? I have family in San Jose, so I've been there my fair share of times. I'm sort of a Cali-phile I'd and I'd like to move there one day (despite the Cliche) It's a large part of why I wanted to do this as a map.

General Contribution (3)

Postby tokle on Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:10 am

I like this. The draft looks good.

But it seems to me that many of the terits are too small to fit in the name and army numbers.
ImageImage
Major tokle

Medals: 147
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (29) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (44) Tournament Contribution (32)
General Contribution (2)

Postby The Bison King on Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:16 am

But it seems to me that many of the terits are too small to fit in the name and army numbers.

In a few area's yes (especially the cities) I'll do a draft with names very soon. I suspect I'll have to do a lot of abbreviations. H.W. for Hollywood, that sort of thing...

General Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:25 am

Well I don't really see many problematic areas, maybe a couple in that brown inset and that one yellow city...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:15 pm

The Bison King wrote:

Never been to San Diego, I heard it rules. I was in LA last summer. East Hollywood specifically. What part of the state do you live in? I have family in San Jose, so I've been there my fair share of times. I'm sort of a Cali-phile I'd and I'd like to move there one day (despite the Cliche) It's a large part of why I wanted to do this as a map.
I grew up all over California. There are no areas that I am unfamiliar with.

California is so big, and so diverse in the way of climate zones. There is not a single climate zone that is not represented. With the exception of "humid-tropical". The humidity is desert dry, from top to bottom. But everything is so close. I once surfed Zuma in the morning, and skied Wrightwood (snow), that afternoon. ;)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

General Contribution (1)

Next

Return to The Atlas