Conquer Club

Quad Cities Map [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Quad Cities Map

Postby ironsij0287 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:23 pm

First off thank you RedBaron for the suggestion. Secondly I'm sorry if I came off apathetic last week. This process has been a long one and the thought of a major graphic revamp at the time seemed too daunting for me to even think about.

But, I walked away for a few days, didn't think about it and today sat down and really went to town fixing the legend.

And this is the result. BEHOLD!

That is all for now. I'll hang up and listen. 8-[
Sergeant 1st Class ironsij0287

Postby ironsij0287 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:41 pm

Already made a couple changes. Moved my username to the top right corner and rearranged Arsenal Island on the legend.

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:20 pm

Can you rearrange the legend so that the bonuses go in some sort of order. For instance the west side of the Mississippi, and then the east side going from left to right? It would make finding the bonus value easier to find.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:44 pm

OH MY GOD! That legend is amazing! My only prick is to have the two words in "Mississippi River" right next to each other.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:45 pm

isaiah40 wrote:Can you rearrange the legend so that the bonuses go in some sort of order. For instance the west side of the Mississippi, and then the east side going from left to right? It would make finding the bonus value easier to find.

And it seems to me he ordered things in the legend perfectly.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby ironsij0287 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:54 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:OH MY GOD! That legend is amazing! My only prick is to have the two words in "Mississippi River" right next to each other.

Sure that's an easy enough of a fix. If I can't get both words to fit together I may have them on either side of Campbell's Island instead. At least then they'll still be closer than they are right now.

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:01 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:And it seems to me he ordered things in the legend perfectly.

If you look he has Moline (which is on ht east side of the Mississippi) before Bettendorf and Pleasant Valley. All I am asking is for the legend to follow a pattern. Whether it is from top to bottom, right to left, left to right, or bottom to top. I looked at it and the map and had trouble finding the bonus values. The first three are perfect IMO. What is wrong with having them in some sort of order?
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:26 pm

isaiah40 wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:And it seems to me he ordered things in the legend perfectly.

If you look he has Moline (which is on ht east side of the Mississippi) before Bettendorf and Pleasant Valley. All I am asking is for the legend to follow a pattern. Whether it is from top to bottom, right to left, left to right, or bottom to top. I looked at it and the map and had trouble finding the bonus values. The first three are perfect IMO. What is wrong with having them in some sort of order?

They are... They're placed similarly to how they are on the map.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby ironsij0287 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:40 am

There's a general color scheme with the regions. I made sure the colors stayed grouped together on the legend. Also like Sullivan says I did try to keep some sort of order to them. You can't put them in two rows and expect them to be in perfect order to how they're geographically located on the map.

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:50 pm

Well here's the thing. The order you have them is good for the most part. The thing is when you are reading across the second row (which for the most part is in the same order as the map), Moline should be between Rock Island and Coal Valley. Just like they are on the map itself. The rest of them are good. This means that Andalusia would be at the end of the first row, which IMHO is fine.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby MrBenn on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:43 am

Just taken a peek, and I have to say that the map looks very very good.

My only quibble would be the ordering of the bonuses on the legend at the bottom, and I can see that this is the focus of the most recent discussion. I imagine that once that is sorted the finishing line will be in sight ;-)

I'll pop back later (when I'm not on a lunch break) and give you my suggestion :P
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:45 am

Is anyone having a hard time figuring out how much each bonus is worth? I mean, like matching the shapes?

I think that is the hardest part about these types of legends and I've seen them work on maps and fail on others. I think its working on this one because I'm not having any problem matching things up. But I kind of want a second opinion.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby grifftron on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:56 am

Industrial Helix wrote:Is anyone having a hard time figuring out how much each bonus is worth? I mean, like matching the shapes?

I think that is the hardest part about these types of legends and I've seen them work on maps and fail on others. I think its working on this one because I'm not having any problem matching things up. But I kind of want a second opinion.

I was just looking at this before i read this, they all matched up fine... henry looks larger in the key to me for some reason but its prob just my eyes, and eastern has some kinda of edge on the right in the key, while on the map the right edge is just straight...? rest looked fine, this map is gonna be awesome for team games.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby natty dread on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:56 am

I think it works.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:18 am

I think it works pretty well. The division line between the legend/non-legend are looks like it could need some work to make it look better, but I think this is the right track.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby MrBenn on Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:57 pm

MrBenn wrote:I'll pop back later (when I'm not on a lunch break) and give you my suggestion :P

I'd suggest laying the bonus regions out like this:

You'll also need to put together a large version too ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:07 pm

Okay, this map is moving in a good direction. So what we would like to see is a large map with the following suggestions:

AndyDufresne wrote:I think it works pretty well. The division line between the legend/non-legend are looks like it could need some work to make it look better, but I think this is the right track.
--Andy

And what MrBenn fast posted me with. Then we can get this stickied and moved on!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby ironsij0287 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:54 pm

isaiah40 wrote:Okay, this map is moving in a good direction. So what we would like to see is a large map with the following suggestions:

AndyDufresne wrote:I think it works pretty well. The division line between the legend/non-legend are looks like it could need some work to make it look better, but I think this is the right track.
--Andy

And what MrBenn fast posted me with. Then we can get this stickied and moved on!

Sounds good. I like the new legend arrangement MrBenn suggested. That leaves the rows with an even 7 on each.

Real quick, what's my pixel limit for the large map?

Postby MrBenn on Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:55 pm

ironsij0287 wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:Okay, this map is moving in a good direction. So what we would like to see is a large map with the following suggestions:

--Andy

Sounds good. I like the new legend arrangement MrBenn suggested. That leaves the rows with an even 7 on each.

Real quick, what's my pixel limit for the large map?

840px wide, 800px tall.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby TaCktiX on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:09 pm

I've had an ArcGIS class all week, and I have to say I envy you just how damn easy that can be if you know what you're doing. Kudos on making it graphically attractive while being graphically clean.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:34 pm

Ahoy there! How goes the large map?
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby ironsij0287 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:Ahoy there! How goes the large map?

Sorry. Been really busy the last couple weeks and this got pushed to the far back burner unfortunately. I'm looking to work on it this week.

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:17 pm

ironsij0287 wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:Ahoy there! How goes the large map?

Sorry. Been really busy the last couple weeks and this got pushed to the far back burner unfortunately. I'm looking to work on it this week.

No worries. I look forward to your update! :)
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby ironsij0287 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:19 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Postby natty dread on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:28 pm

Looks good. The photos are somewhat blurry on the large though... And there's a weird little splat on the right side of henry country in the legend of the large map.

One question... do MLI and DVN connect to each other? If so it might be worth mentioning in the legend.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas