Conquer Club

Philippines Map revealed!! [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Jota on Fri May 12, 2006 12:09 am

I'm still finding that the border lines in the purple and red continnets (and to a lesser degree, blue) don't really contrast well with the background coloring for those continents. Also, is it just me, or is there a distinct lack of anti-aliasing going on there? Things look a bit... jaggy.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby Haydena on Fri May 12, 2006 2:06 am

I was going to mention that the graphics didn't look quite right... It does look a bit jaggy... And I still think the colours are a bit vibrant for that ocean...

How about different colours of text to fit with the continents they are all in? It just looks a bit bland with nothing really looking that great... And I agree with Jota...
Sergeant 1st Class Haydena

Postby Marvaddin on Fri May 12, 2006 9:56 am

Only for register, some of these minor problems you are talking about are caused by the jpg conversion.
Major Marvaddin

Postby thegrimsleeper on Fri May 12, 2006 11:34 am

Haydena is right about the ocean, maybe you should try decreasing the saturation a bit to help the islands stand out more. I'd also like to see you "physically" raise the islands a bit. It's easy in Photoshop with a light bevel/emboss, but I know you're not using that so...

Maybe you could add a 1px grey border to the islands, and then a 2px black border. This would give the illusion of them being slightly raised from the ocean and would help, I think, to reduce the flat appearance of the map in its current state. I agree that your borders should be much darker. Perhaps you could save your next copy as a .png so there's not as much degradation as with jpeg conversion?

Oh yes, and I think yellow is a fine color for the connections.
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby peacemonger18 on Mon May 15, 2006 4:41 pm

I don't know if it's just me, but I had difficulty finding the Port marker at Danao - it blends into the continent color too well.

Also, i don't know if there's anything that you can do about this, but the thick yellow lines connecting the countries make the map seem almost too busy.

Besides that, it seems pretty good for the stage that you're at!
Private 1st Class peacemonger18

Postby Banana Stomper on Mon May 15, 2006 4:59 pm

I still find it unpleasant to look at. Everything is very flat and very secluded. I don't know how anyone else feels about it, but i don't think i'd play it. Perhaps graphics or something to fill in the large open spaces in the middle, and the legend will take away this nearly sickening effect, but as it stands, i dont' like it very much.
Corporal 1st Class Banana Stomper

Postby kevinc on Tue May 16, 2006 11:19 am

Marvaddin wrote:Only for register, some of these minor problems you are talking about are caused by the jpg conversion.

If it's the jaggyness people are referring to it's because things are not anti-aliased. I'm not sure what software you're using but most packages support antialiasing text and lines.
Corporal kevinc

Postby rocksolid on Tue May 16, 2006 2:22 pm

Cuyo looks like it's drowning a bit. Maybe change their colour a bit more to differentiate from the water.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby Marvaddin on Tue May 16, 2006 5:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback, guys...

I will try post a new version on weekend... For now, I would appreciate some suggestions of free, intuitive and good graphics editor.
Major Marvaddin

Postby Banana Stomper on Tue May 16, 2006 6:01 pm

you can get a trial version of photoshop, it runs out eventually, but you could definitely pull off some quality maps

and its not impossible

Postby Marvaddin on Tue May 16, 2006 6:41 pm

I know, but Im not looking for a tool for this map, but for this and my future maps / other things... I hope you can give me a better tip, banana. Thanks.

(Hmm, by the way, in Portuguese, hope = expect. Would I be unpolite if I have used expect? Not my goal, of course.)
Major Marvaddin

Postby thegrimsleeper on Tue May 16, 2006 6:45 pm

:x
Last edited by thegrimsleeper on Wed May 17, 2006 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby Banana Stomper on Tue May 16, 2006 8:06 pm

Marvaddin wrote:I know, but Im not looking for a tool for this map, but for this and my future maps / other things... I hope you can give me a better tip, banana. Thanks.

(Hmm, by the way, in Portuguese, hope = expect. Would I be unpolite if I have used expect? Not my goal, of course.)

Good call in going with hope. Expect probably would have han an impolite air to it. Best of luck with whatever grim sent ya.

Postby kevinc on Wed May 17, 2006 3:55 pm

Marvaddin wrote:Thanks for the feedback, guys...

I will try post a new version on weekend... For now, I would appreciate some suggestions of free, intuitive and good graphics editor.

Inkscapeis an Open Source Vector tool. Vector tools take awhile to get used to, if you're used to bitmap tools (like paint) but they're perfect for this kind of thing.

Also, Paint.Net is a free tool that is like a very very basic version of Photoshop.

Both should help you out and are free. :)

Good luck!
Corporal kevinc

Postby Marvaddin on Mon May 22, 2006 1:02 am

New update. I cut some parts of the background, so the file is smaller and I can upload the png format.

As said:
- bit more darker.
- bigger Cagayan
- Malaysia present
- some names re-positioned

Also, routes and names have now better graphics. But I still didnt do the legend... How is it going for now?
Major Marvaddin

Postby SteveVai on Mon May 22, 2006 1:13 am

Marvaddin wrote:- Malaysia present

What for?
Corporal SteveVai

Postby Semanticprison on Mon May 22, 2006 1:16 am

I dont have the greatest color vision, and to me the orange and green blend together. I think it would help to switch a diff color with the orange.
Private Semanticprison

Postby Jota on Mon May 22, 2006 1:52 am

I don't think switching to PNG has helped the aliasing issues, unfortunately. If you look closely at the edges of your continents, you'll noticed that they're all straight lines and right angles, very jagged. It's especially visible in the tiny islands around Jolo: they look like little squares.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby Marvaddin on Mon May 22, 2006 9:10 am

Malaysia is there occupying an empty space, and since its really there in real life, I dont see any problem.

About the little islands, little squares is what I think they should really seem... Any problem with that? Maybe you can suggest how they should be then, Jota. The same for the borders, this IS the way I like them... if you can suggest something more "visible", I can change my mind.

More people having problems with colours?
Major Marvaddin

Postby Jota on Mon May 22, 2006 9:54 am

As an example, this map and this one both show the small islands as being rounded, rather than as little boxes. If no one else is bothered by the aliasing, then that's fine. It just makes the map harder for me to look at.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby kevinc on Mon May 22, 2006 4:37 pm

I wouldn' tcut out the background like that. It looks very strange.

Text is much more readable now it's anti-alised. I'd suggest maybe not using italic text, or else make it larger. That will make it even more legible.

Still looking forward to playing this map. :)
Corporal kevinc

Postby Pedronicus on Mon May 29, 2006 6:38 pm

is this ever going to be published?

we seem to have no new maps for ages - and then 3 turn up at once....

for once - i wont have to contemplate if a squiggly brown skid mark is a non crossable border. (Who wants to walk through all that shit?)

I've got my outboard motor powered up, and up for some island hoping.
Highest position 7th. Highest points 3311 All of my graffiti can be found here
Major Pedronicus

Postby Marvaddin on Tue May 30, 2006 12:07 am

Pedronicus wrote:is this ever going to be published?

Yes, I intend finish it soon... in some days, I mean; Im a little busy these days...
Major Marvaddin

Postby Banana Stomper on Wed May 31, 2006 3:04 pm

Make cuyo bigger so its not just 6 pixels. Give it some substance man!

Postby Marvaddin on Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:06 am

Another update... If no one complain, it can be the final :D

So, guys, let me know what you think about this.
Major Marvaddin

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas