Conquer Club

Philippines Map revealed!! [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Marvaddin on Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:45 pm

So, guys, help me. What the regions you see the coast problem the most? Malaysia and Sulu?

And lets discuss the legend: I was trying to do something more alike the legend of the Europe map, as I knew the legend of Brazil map is not so beautiful... What the problem with it? The font? Really the "u" and the "n" are almost the same. And I could use it in non-bold form... Would it be better?

Hmm, since you all liked the playability, I can start the xml, I think :)
Major Marvaddin

Postby Banana Stomper on Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:52 pm

I think one of the problems is the elipses behind the names of the continents. It seems very simple, lacks creativity. And the white writing on top is very flat, boring. i think if you want to do something like the europe map, don't rely on the color as a backround. Its more of an accent in the europe map. Its location seems like it was just tossed where it fit... Try to put it with either the name of the map or the flag of the phillipines. As it stands it doesn't have any sort of feel of a legend but just of a list. It gives the impression of, "Here's my map. Oh, by the way, these are the bonuses."
Corporal 1st Class Banana Stomper

Postby reverend_kyle on Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:59 pm

Banana Stomper wrote:I think one of the problems is the elipses behind the names of the continents. It seems very simple, lacks creativity. And the white writing on top is very flat, boring. i think if you want to do something like the europe map, don't rely on the color as a backround. Its more of an accent in the europe map. Its location seems like it was just tossed where it fit... Try to put it with either the name of the map or the flag of the phillipines. As it stands it doesn't have any sort of feel of a legend but just of a list. It gives the impression of, "Here's my map. Oh, by the way, these are the bonuses."
yeah that is basically the essence of it. I'd suggest some ideas but i dont consider myself even good at making legends for maps.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby rocksolid on Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:16 pm

Yeah Marv, I agree with the bonuses.

The arc between Boac and Romblon is a little weird, because all the other attack paths are straight lines - maybe find a way to straighten it out.

I think if there's a quick way to change the dominant colour from those blue islands to something else like yellow, that might be a good idea because the water is blue and it sort of looks like they're underwater like Louisiana in the Apocalypse map.

A related problem is that all the little islands - especially Cuyo - get smothered by the black circles. Maybe consider one or both of making the circles pale rather than dark or putting them offshore the tiny islands so they don't hide them.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby Banana Stomper on Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:33 pm

For the legend, you may want to try and make the flag into the backround. Make the flag vertical and then put the countries listed in there. You can either then make the names in the color of the region or you could put some sort of accent thing like in the europe map. Just a thought.
Corporal 1st Class Banana Stomper

Postby reverend_kyle on Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:09 pm

Banana Stomper wrote:For the legend, you may want to try and make the flag into the backround. Make the flag vertical and then put the countries listed in there. You can either then make the names in the color of the region or you could put some sort of accent thing like in the europe map. Just a thought.
I agree, the flag idea is a really good idea. Then to replace the seal you could put something like this picture.

Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Marvaddin on Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:16 pm

I have the coat of arms already. I was intending put it as a background (like these little monsters), but Im having some aliasing problems. Can someone point one good tool to correct this?
Major Marvaddin

Postby Jota on Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:49 pm

Marvaddin wrote:What the regions you see the coast problem the most? Malaysia and Sulu?

Yeah, it seems most severe in those two, although it's present in all of them.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby Ronaldinho on Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:28 pm

great map marv cant wait to see it up and running :mrgreen:
Sergeant Ronaldinho

Postby haha on Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:13 pm

looks good
Brigadier haha

Postby Marvaddin on Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:21 am

New update:
New legend. I liked it very much.
Names replaced in the center of the map, to make clearer the route between Romblon and Quezon.
Improved a bit the coast of Malaysia and Sulu.
Numbers placed... I know, they are not totally centralized. I will refine the xml later... But I want to know: are the numbers visible?
Another question: is this size good enough to bigger version or smaller? Maybe a medium one? :lol:
Major Marvaddin

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:50 am

---Good to hear you will be working on the xml to refine the numbers, since they are out of wack. In response to if they are clear...blue seems hard to see. Especially Basilan, but it seem to be all across the map, unless it's my eyes that are going.

---And there is something about the legend I don't quite like, hm maybe it will come to me. Have you experimented with any other ways to do the legend?

---I'm liking the looks of everything else in the map for the most part.

--Andy
Last edited by AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby rocksolid on Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:56 am

Blue numbers are indeed very hard to see.

I don't like the new legend but there's something about it that seems to suit this map, so I defer to your judgment.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby Marvaddin on Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:13 am

Any suggestions to the legend, or anything else? Im going to consider the artistic part finished (as the playability part), and proceed to the final little corrections.
Major Marvaddin

Postby Dark Shadow on Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:26 pm

I think the Legend looks great but that could just be me...
Private 1st Class Dark Shadow

Postby reverend_kyle on Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:13 pm

Marvaddin wrote:Any suggestions to the legend, or anything else? Im going to consider the artistic part finished (as the playability part), and proceed to the final little corrections.
have we shrugged off the suggestion of using the flag or something related to the phillipines as a background. It seems to me as lacking, and unfitting to the map how it is.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:28 pm

---There is a flag already on there. And in regards to that, have you considered making it stand out more? So it doesn't just blend in with the sea?

---And if there are really no suggestions for what else you can do in the legend, I think it would work as is, but still not a big fan of it. Perhaps we can look at what the Philippines is....Link 1 Link 2

--Andy
Last edited by AndyDufresne on Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby reverend_kyle on Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:10 pm

NOthing comes to mind but i REALLY hate the legend.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Jota on Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:51 pm

Mrm. It looks like you actually did the opposite of my suggestion for the legend. So I guess that means I like the previous legend better.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby fluffybunnykins on Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:53 pm

I think the legend is....................... a little bit ugly, a bit some other time & place, or something...
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Postby qeee1 on Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:53 pm

The legend is not at all suited to the map. It looks like some powerpoint presentation type thing. I think a scroll legend might be suited to this map. Sure it's overdone, but on this map I think it'd work wuite well.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby Augusta on Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:16 pm

I agree on the legend business... its not subtle enough for this map

its a really cool map (love the ports/naval bases and the graphics), but the legend just seem to crowd the whole map somehow - and the font used doesn't go to well with the font in the map itself (one more modern and one more classical by appearance)

and does it have to say Bonuses on top?
everybody surely understands thats the very purpose of the legend - lose the title and get some more "air" (ocean that is :-) ). it will just do the map good.
In Somnis Veritas -
In Dreams There Is Truth

Member of The Imperial Dragoons
Sergeant Augusta

Postby Marvaddin on Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:22 am

So:

1) Should I remove the word "Bonuses"?
2) Should I use the first one? Maybe a different font? Any suggestions for the font, in this case?

I really dont intend have a scroll for the legend, and although I admit those links are interesting, Andy, I really cant see how to use anything in the legend... I was doing what banana suggested, as I was intending to do a legend more alike to the Europe map one... I also dont see the conflict between the fonts, but if you think so, maybe I can use the same font in the map...

I was giving a sight in some legends of other maps, and I saw many only writing the names with the proper colour, or doing this and putting the legend in a rectangle or something alike. Would it be better?

Please, I dont have English as my first language, so I dont understand some suggestions. Please use the easier words in the suggestions, ok?
Major Marvaddin

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:45 am

Marvaddin wrote:So:

1) Should I remove the word "Bonuses"?
2) Should I use the first one? Maybe a different font? Any suggestions for the font, in this case?

I really dont intend have a scroll for the legend, and although I admit those links are interesting, Andy, I really cant see how to use anything in the legend... I was doing what banana suggested, as I was intending to do a legend more alike to the Europe map one... I also dont see the conflict between the fonts, but if you think so, maybe I can use the same font in the map...

I was giving a sight in some legends of other maps, and I saw many only writing the names with the proper colour, or doing this and putting the legend in a rectangle or something alike. Would it be better?

Please, I dont have English as my first language, so I dont understand some suggestions. Please use the easier words in the suggestions, ok?

Well the problem is your legend doesnt go with the map. It goes with if you were making it a business presentation on how to sell cigarettes to kids. It should be something more philipino.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Marvaddin on Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:51 am

But my real goal was sell cigarettes to kids! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, I will think about this, although its a thing seldom seen here... More suggestions?
Major Marvaddin

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas