Conquer Club

Cairns Coral Coast [Quenched] - Loaded!

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby johloh on Tue May 08, 2007 10:21 am

there is still too much jpeg compression on those maps...youre ruining what is a wonderful map graphically...

can you save it as a format that does not have compression? png, etc?
my new site - http://www.spritestitch.com/ - A video game craft weblog...
Major johloh

Postby mibi on Tue May 08, 2007 10:44 am

johloh wrote:there is still too much jpeg compression on those maps...youre ruining what is a wonderful map graphically...

I dont see any. 229k is sufficient. this shouldn't be an issue.
Captain mibi

Postby DiM on Tue May 08, 2007 11:37 am

johloh wrote:there is still too much jpeg compression on those maps...youre ruining what is a wonderful map graphically...

PNG??? :shock:

u crazy man?

imagine me puting my animated map made from pngs :idea:

~200 megs. now imagine the page loading :-^

and even if it is not animated a png can easily get to 5-10 megs still too much compared to a 90% compressed jpg that around 30 times smaller or more. :wink: or an 80% jpg that's like 70 times smaller. :lol:
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 08, 2007 1:31 pm

mibi wrote:

I dont see any. 229k is sufficient. this shouldn't be an issue.

Mibi, I must have the same eyes as you! :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue May 08, 2007 7:25 pm

Hm, regarding the compression issue, I think it may be something to do with how the army circle color blends with the other colors on the map, along with the shadow behind the names, at least in the large. **Scratches his head**

Anyways, the XML looks pretty good. Maybe take a closer look at Snapper Is. and possibly Innot Springs (though perhaps not on the springs).

Also, I'd suggest moving the text 'bridges' slightly down in the legend. I don't want anyone read the text as 'One way passes bridges'. I think a little more buffer space here might be good, as there seems to be ample room to scoot it down slightly.

Lastly, maybe consider adding some sort of vertical bar in the Bonus Legend between the continental names and values. And perhaps something between the 'Regions' text, and the continent names.

But it is coming along quite nicely!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Enigma on Tue May 08, 2007 7:57 pm

im not sure what this big compression issue is- i cant see anything wrong. but i guess thats just my comp.
AndyDufresne wrote:Lastly, maybe consider adding some sort of vertical bar in the Bonus Legend between the continental names and values. And perhaps something between the 'Regions' text, and the continent names.

i dont think vertical is necessary but something btwn regions and the continents might be nice.
Do you need an excuse to have a war? I mean, who for? Can't you just say "You got lots of cash and land, but I've got a big sword, so divy up right now, chop chop."
Terry Pratchet
Lieutenant Enigma

Postby DiM on Tue May 08, 2007 8:23 pm

Enigma wrote:i dont think vertical is necessary but something btwn regions and the continents might be nice.

some bananas :lol:
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Wed May 09, 2007 4:42 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Hm, regarding the compression issue, I think it may be something to do with how the army circle color blends with the other colors on the map, along with the shadow behind the names, at least in the large. **Scratches his head**

Mmmmm...i can't see the issue, maybe it is a monitor thingy....

Anyways, the XML looks pretty good. Maybe take a closer look at Snapper Is. and possibly Innot Springs (though perhaps not on the springs).

Andy please explain further what you are after here.

Also, I'd suggest moving the text 'bridges' slightly down in the legend. I don't want anyone read the text as 'One way passes bridges'. I think a little more buffer space here might be good, as there seems to be ample room to scoot it down slightly.
Kewl...can do.

Lastly, maybe consider adding some sort of vertical bar in the Bonus Legend between the continental names and values. And perhaps something between the 'Regions' text, and the continent names.

Mmmmm...i think a vertical bar would spoil the whole look, but willing to go for the underline, although nothing else in the title is underlined...it's very free.

But it is coming along quite nicely!
Thanks....more bananas anyone?
Private cairnswk

V39 adjustments

Postby cairnswk on Wed May 09, 2007 11:21 am

V39 Small

V39 Large

OK Andy, I have lowered the text "bridge" on both.
I've not put any lines into the legends, but I have moved the bonus numbers one space to the right to give it more of a break from the text. I tried several lines in several positions and didn't like them, the underline didtracted from the rest of the map, and i found my eye actually drawn to that line.

I still don't understand what the issue is with the Snapper Is and Innot Hot
Springs, the centering looks fine to me for the army numbers. Is there any other issue there that i can't see.

Thanks
Private cairnswk

Postby Enigma on Wed May 09, 2007 9:19 pm

ok on a different comp i am seeing sum compression issues round the names and under the army circles. specially on the small map.

and one thing i just noticed, might have happened when you sharpened the mountains- on the large map the image of the one way pass in the legend looks pretty rough on the inside next to the river

oh- and b4 sum1 else mentions it- u 4got to replace the banana tree. no big deal.

* not so patiently waits for this map * :P
Do you need an excuse to have a war? I mean, who for? Can't you just say "You got lots of cash and land, but I've got a big sword, so divy up right now, chop chop."
Terry Pratchet
Lieutenant Enigma

Postby Wisse on Thu May 10, 2007 12:48 am

the country is really called Millaa Millaa or is that a fault you made?
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby cairnswk on Thu May 10, 2007 2:52 am

Wisse wrote:the country is really called Millaa Millaa or is that a fault you made?

Wisse...Enigma asked that ? back on P22...

Millaa Millaa is the name of the town that territory is named after, it is an aboriginal/indigenous word meaning "wet wet" - yes it is very wet in this region as it rains for well near 3/4s of the year. It started as a logging town and then had its own dairy/cheese factory before all dairy factory operations were moved to Malanda for centralisation, where they remains today. However the region produces some of the richest dairy cream and milk in Australia, although Millaa Millaa cheese is no longer sold on the market. Hope this helps.
Mareeba is my home town. I think I would NOT make a mistake with these names...eh Wisse? :wink:
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu May 10, 2007 4:02 am

Enigma wrote:ok on a different comp i am seeing sum compression issues round the names and under the army circles. specially on the small map.

and one thing i just noticed, might have happened when you sharpened the mountains- on the large map the image of the one way pass in the legend looks pretty rough on the inside next to the river

oh- and b4 sum1 else mentions it- u 4got to replace the banana tree. no big deal.

* not so patiently waits for this map * :P

Enigma, Andy...I checked the names etc on those two areas and re-arranged the words, perhaps that will resolve this compression issue.
The Mountain pass has been tidied.
The Banana trees stay....Bananas...Andy...any connection! :lol:

Small V40

Large V40
Private cairnswk

Postby Guilty_Biscuit on Thu May 10, 2007 4:13 am

I like the layout of this map for gameplay - should be some good games on this.
Sergeant 1st Class Guilty_Biscuit

Location: N53:32 W02:39 Top Biscuits: Bourbon, HobNob, Tunnocks Wafer, Ginger Nut Evil_Biscuit: Malted Milk

Postby Enigma on Fri May 11, 2007 4:48 pm

Guilty_Biscuit wrote:I like the layout of this map for gameplay - should be some good games on this.

yes, my thoughts exactly. im abck on the comp where i cant see any any compression issues- co i cant tell u if theyve gotten ne better. to me it looks great and i cant wait to play :)
Terry Pratchet
Lieutenant Enigma

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 11, 2007 4:55 pm

Enigma wrote:
Guilty_Biscuit wrote:I like the layout of this map for gameplay - should be some good games on this.

yes, my thoughts exactly. im abck on the comp where i cant see any any compression issues- co i cant tell u if theyve gotten ne better. to me it looks great and i cant wait to play :)

Hi Enigma, (btw going for re-design in Egypt to make things a whole lot clearer, but will still have same flavour)....do those Snapper Is and Innot Hot Springs look any better? I notice three maps got put up yesterday as newbies, so i guess u may still be waiting a little while for gameplay on this one. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby reptile on Fri May 11, 2007 6:35 pm

i cant wait, i have followed the development of this map more than any other! i need to play it now!!!!!!!!!
Major reptile

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 12, 2007 5:59 pm

reptile wrote:i cant wait, i have followed the development of this map more than any other! i need to play it now!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Reptile....everyone is wating to play this!
Private cairnswk

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat May 12, 2007 8:27 pm

Alright, lets see the large and small maps with the coordinates centralized one more time. Also lets have text links to the normal gameboard small and large maps, along with a text link to the XML.

--Andy

Images and XML

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 12, 2007 9:11 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Alright, lets see the large and small maps with the coordinates centralized one more time. Also lets have text links to the normal gameboard small and large maps, along with a text link to the XML.
--Andy

As requested Andy....

Small

Large

Small Text link:
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... t_v40S.jpg

Large Text link:
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... t_v40L.jpg

XML Text Link:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/bowbrv/ca ... _coast.xml
Last edited by cairnswk on Sat May 12, 2007 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat May 12, 2007 9:13 pm

Er, I meant for the actual posted images to have the coordinates with them! Sorry :) Also, can you fix the small text link? :)

--Andy

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 12, 2007 9:27 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Er, I meant for the actual posted images to have the coordinates with them! Sorry :) Also, can you fix the small text link? :)

--Andy

Attended to on P38 Andy.
Private cairnswk

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat May 12, 2007 9:30 pm

Snapper may be a tid bit high still, and I think my eyes still see some shrinking issues on the small map, but I'll give it a good look over tomorrow.

--Andy

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 12, 2007 9:35 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Snapper may be a tid bit high still, and I think my eyes still see some shrinking issues on the small map, but I'll give it a good look over tomorrow.
--Andy

OK Andy...but please post a GOOD explanation of what needs attending to so that I can understand what u are talking about, thanks.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 12, 2007 10:04 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Snapper may be a tid bit high still, and I think my eyes still see some shrinking issues on the small map, but I'll give it a good look over tomorrow.
--Andy

Andy, sorry, I did not understand what was going on with Snapper Is, but that is now fixed. The fix is still in V40 on P38.

Also, with regard to the images of the coordinates, remember these are screen snap shots of the repasted images to test centring.
Please refer to the actual images to see if there are compression problems. These are compressed to 80 on the quality scale. If u want the high scaled quality, they will be much larger files for downloading.
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas