Conquer Club

Fractured China - [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Fractured China - NOW LIVE!!!

Postby jaytorade on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:52 pm

I think there really needs to be an arrow or other indication on the playing area of the map that Fujian and Taipai bombard each other. I didnt realize this just from the layout.

Thanks, Jaytorade
Captain jaytorade

Postby anamainiacks on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:32 pm

The 'i' on Jiangxi and Shanghai are rather hard to see on the small map.

Also, not much of a problem, but Bangladesh could be more centralised on the small map. It looks like it could shift up and left a bit more (:
Colonel anamainiacks

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:08 am

jaytorade wrote:I think there really needs to be an arrow or other indication on the playing area of the map that Fujian and Taipai bombard each other. I didnt realize this just from the layout.

Thanks, Jaytorade

You mean like here?

anamainiacks wrote:The 'i' on Jiangxi and Shanghai are rather hard to see on the small map.

Also, not much of a problem, but Bangladesh could be more centralised on the small map. It looks like it could shift up and left a bit more (:

So you can read them right? Can you please explain what you mean by "more centralised"?
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:23 am

isaiah40 wrote:
jaytorade wrote:I think there really needs to be an arrow or other indication on the playing area of the map that Fujian and Taipai bombard each other. I didnt realize this just from the layout.

Thanks, Jaytorade

You mean like here?

No, I think me meant have an actual arrow on the map (like I suggested I while back :P ) to make the bombardment more obvious.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:52 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:No, I think me meant have an actual arrow on the map (like I suggested I while back :P ) to make the bombardment more obvious.

-Sully
The problem with that is then people would think that they can attack between the two. But let me see what I can do, I would have to squeeze it in the legend without shrinking the text any.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby anamainiacks on Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:19 am

isaiah40 wrote:
anamainiacks wrote:The 'i' on Jiangxi and Shanghai are rather hard to see on the small map.

So you can read them right? Can you please explain what you mean by "more centralised"?

No I can't read them, if not I wouldn't be raising it up as a point to help this map improve right? I only know they're there because I know what these places are called in real life, and so squint to search for them.

By 'more centralised' I mean that there could be an equal amount of space before and after the territory name, between the name and the territory border. Like, the 'h' is really close to the bottom right border, while there's lots of room between the 'B' and the top border (:
Colonel anamainiacks

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:02 pm

isaiah40 wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:No, I think me meant have an actual arrow on the map (like I suggested I while back :P ) to make the bombardment more obvious.

-Sully
The problem with that is then people would think that they can attack between the two. But let me see what I can do, I would have to squeeze it in the legend without shrinking the text any.

I didn't even see this small element of gameplay, I don't think it has come into play in any of my games. Perhaps instead of arrows, a small little icon of some sort? Or even a Chinese character of something that translates into bombard could work.

=================

Overall, the few games I've played on this map so far have been pretty great. I might add this map to my regular rotation of 1vs1.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:33 am

isaiah40 wrote:

-Sully

Well, you could change the color of the arrow.

AndyDufresne wrote:Overall, the few games I've played on this map so far have been pretty great. I might add this map to my regular rotation of 1vs1.

--Andy

It would be better if I wasn't losing :( :P

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:58 am

I'll be making the small change to denote the bombardment on the playable area and the legend here shortly.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:04 pm

not read doesn't seem a good reason to me to change a written thing / add other icons.... :-k
I mean if now write things is not enough, what's the next?
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:07 pm

Well, the idea is to make the map as player-friendly as possible, yes?

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:18 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:Well, the idea is to make the map as player-friendly as possible, yes?

-Sully

Look Berlin 1961.
This map is user-friendly as it is now.
We have to write things, not write an encyclopedia just because people is too lazy to read on the map.

if things are written, then is up to people read them.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:21 pm

After looking at this, and looking at Poland and Berlin, I think I will leave the map as it is. Both Poland and Berlin have the bombardments written down only.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Gilligan on Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:56 pm

Same with Waterloo and such.
Captain Gilligan

Re: Fractured Europe??

Postby Halmir on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:34 pm

MrBenn wrote:
Industrial Helix wrote:Fractured Europe... you mean a topsy-turvey world where Europe is broken into several countries, each ruled by some various party ranging from nazi to monarchy to democracy to communist? It's called the History of Europe since the fall of Rome. I think Europe is already quite fractured and I dunno how easy of a sell this is going to be... what about picking on the USA's great rival Russia... oh-wait... The UK would make a good fractured addition though. My advice is to pick something that isn't already broken up.

On the whole I'd side with IH here...

England has always struggled with Europe - we're in it, but see ourselves as very separate from it. Personally, I would think that very few Brits have a great affinity with Europe and the EU, and as for the rest of Europe, I think it depends on politics much more than any great desire for Continental Unity. Indeed, some of the fiercest rivalrys are held amongst neighbouring states/nations.

The easy way of doing this (with a nod to history) is to look at Britain post Roman but pre Arthur - a whole bunch of warring Baronial states. It doens't take much imagination to see everyone reverting to that after some calamity! Plus you could add in raiding Vikings, Saxons etc.

PS loving the series, keep up the good work!!
Lieutenant Halmir

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:52 pm

Halmir wrote:
MrBenn wrote:
Industrial Helix wrote:Fractured Europe... you mean a topsy-turvey world where Europe is broken into several countries, each ruled by some various party ranging from nazi to monarchy to democracy to communist? It's called the History of Europe since the fall of Rome. I think Europe is already quite fractured and I dunno how easy of a sell this is going to be... what about picking on the USA's great rival Russia... oh-wait... The UK would make a good fractured addition though. My advice is to pick something that isn't already broken up.

On the whole I'd side with IH here...

England has always struggled with Europe - we're in it, but see ourselves as very separate from it. Personally, I would think that very few Brits have a great affinity with Europe and the EU, and as for the rest of Europe, I think it depends on politics much more than any great desire for Continental Unity. Indeed, some of the fiercest rivalrys are held amongst neighbouring states/nations.

The easy way of doing this (with a nod to history) is to look at Britain post Roman but pre Arthur - a whole bunch of warring Baronial states. It doens't take much imagination to see everyone reverting to that after some calamity! Plus you could add in raiding Vikings, Saxons etc.

PS loving the series, keep up the good work!!

First, whoa. That discussion was from, like, ages ago.

Second, I saw your editing reason, lil missy! [-X

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby chuck_thunder on Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:02 am

I love the look of this map. After playing a bit, i think the capital bonus are a bit unbalanced. Perhaps 1, 3, 6, 9 troops would be better.
Lieutenant chuck_thunder

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:49 am

chuck_thunder wrote:I love the look of this map. After playing a bit, i think the capital bonus are a bit unbalanced. Perhaps 1, 3, 6, 9 troops would be better.

I'm not sure they are imbalanced, but in the games I've played, they've been a target by everyone at some point, since they add some nice extra troops.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:38 am

chuck_thunder wrote:I love the look of this map. After playing a bit, i think the capital bonus are a bit unbalanced. Perhaps 1, 3, 6, 9 troops would be better.

I had something like that originally, and in my Fractured America map. It was brought up that those bonuses made the capitals not attractive enough and thereby they weren't used. Now with the bonuses as they are they are being used, but I don't find them unbalanced, or make the game unbalanced. You are spread out so you have to place those men wisely to stay in the game.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:34 am

The legend is hard to read. Maybe a slight font change would make it much easier to read? Otherwise nice map.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Gillipig on Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:26 am

I'd suggest you make the capitals 3 neutrals instead of 2. As it is now it's all about capitals and very little about the other bonuses.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby CJ Lues on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:21 am

Hey guys!

Its a nice map! me and my team are playing it at the moment, i love the graphics!

Just one thing... i placed a nice big stack on Hunan, but i can't attack anywhere with it...! :-s

Will someone plz look into it...

Regards,
CJ
Sergeant CJ Lues

Location: I love a good plan, and i just love it when a plan comes together!

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:20 am

CJ Lues wrote:Hey guys!

Its a nice map! me and my team are playing it at the moment, i love the graphics!

Just one thing... i placed a nice big stack on Hunan, but i can't attack anywhere with it...! :-s

Regards,
CJ

Game number?
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby CJ Lues on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:03 am

isaiah40 wrote:
CJ Lues wrote:Hey guys!

Regards,
CJ

Game number?

sorry its my mistake...! its al sorted out...! ;)
Sergeant CJ Lues

Location: I love a good plan, and i just love it when a plan comes together!

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:09 pm

Bruceswar wrote:The legend is hard to read. Maybe a slight font change would make it much easier to read? Otherwise nice map.

Well everyone was happy with the font. I did try a whole bunch of other oriental fonts, but this one is much clearer and easier to read. I'll have to wait and see if anyone else has the same problem with it.

Gillipig wrote:I'd suggest you make the capitals 3 neutrals instead of 2. As it is now it's all about capitals and very little about the other bonuses.

I'm not opposed to changing them, but let's wait and see if anyone has complaints about them.
Lieutenant isaiah40

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas