Conquer Club

First Nations Americas.

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: First Nations Americas. Update Pg. 11

Postby Tisha on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:24 pm

natty_dread wrote:To prevent mistakes like this, I usually try to overwrite the previous xml whenever I update it.

I usually do, this was the first time I didn't on ripway. I wanted to correct my typo.
Major Tisha

Postby MrBenn on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:49 pm

The best way is to ensure that the links in the first post AND the latest links posted in the thread are the most up-to date ones...

Anyway, the updated file is now live ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby nikola_milicki on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:11 pm

why does bob say we get 4 armies when we starts with 15 lands?? I can see this in my quad..
Colonel nikola_milicki

Postby Tisha on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:31 pm

nikola_milicki wrote:why does bob say we get 4 armies when we starts with 15 lands?? I can see this in my quad..

on the right side of the map it says you get one army for every 4 territories you own. It's suppose to be like that.
Major Tisha

Postby ender516 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:59 pm

Just played my first turn on this spectacular new map. I love the opportunity to take advantage of my swivelling monitor. However, the nitpicker in me is forced to point out that SubArctic is spelled incorrectly on the map (both sizes) and Arctic and SubArctic are spelled incorrectly in the XML and thus in the game log.

Kudos to you, Tisha, and a tip of the hat to natty_dread, for changing the reinforcements to deal with the thorny first-round issue. It's an idea that is seldom discussed but works very well, avoiding the anguish of neutrals and starting positions.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Tisha on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:37 am

ender516 wrote:Just played my first turn on this spectacular new map. I love the opportunity to take advantage of my swivelling monitor. However, the nitpicker in me is forced to point out that SubArctic is spelled incorrectly on the map (both sizes) and Arctic and SubArctic are spelled incorrectly in the XML and thus in the game log.

Kudos to you, Tisha, and a tip of the hat to natty_dread, for changing the reinforcements to deal with the thorny first-round issue. It's an idea that is seldom discussed but works very well, avoiding the anguish of neutrals and starting positions.

Embarassinggg. did that the first time around also. fixing now, and will repost.
Major Tisha

Re: First Nations Americas.

Postby MrBenn on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:11 pm

update sent to the turtle...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby kmhebert on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:30 pm

This is such a beautiful, well-done map. It really pays homage to the first peoples of the Americas.
Sergeant kmhebert

Postby Riskismy on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:24 pm

kmhebert wrote:This is such a beautiful, well-done map. It really pays homage to the first peoples of the Americas.

Seconded. Very nice color scheme too.
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby DJENRE on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:25 am

Hi,

Really nice map. I love design like two others (NA & SA).

But I'd like to point out a problem. THis map is too big, too high. Not because I don't like big maps, but because you always need to go up and down beetween top of map and action tab. Also when you use clickable, every time you auto deploy, the map go down to the action tab and u have to use mouse scroll to come back and see the entire map. It's quiet noisy when you play. Is there anything you could do for that?. (changing map size doesn't work).
The only solution I found is too use ctrl + mouse scroll to change size of my windows and show the entire map but now I can't read names properly.

Except that, I like the 1army/4 territ. and the passes from north to south.
Good work by the way.
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em
YOU LIKE MONOPOLY? PLAY IT on CC => CONQUEROPOLY
YOU'RE A MEDAL HUNTER? HUNT ALL THE MEDALS YOU NEED HERE!
BIG TRIBE TOURNAMENT VI NATIONS 2018
Corporal 1st Class DJENRE

Location: āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ

Postby DJENRE on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:30 am

Something else, you should receive a pm about MapMaker Killer, let me know if you're interested.
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=137470

Maybe a double tournament with 4 squads fighting on this map could be nice. ;)
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em
YOU LIKE MONOPOLY? PLAY IT on CC => CONQUEROPOLY
YOU'RE A MEDAL HUNTER? HUNT ALL THE MEDALS YOU NEED HERE!
BIG TRIBE TOURNAMENT VI NATIONS 2018
Corporal 1st Class DJENRE

Location: āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ

Postby ender516 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:28 am

DJENRE wrote:Hi,

But I'd like to point out a problem. THis map is too big, too high. Not because I don't like big maps, but because you always need to go up and down beetween top of map and action tab. Also when you use clickable, every time you auto deploy, the map go down to the action tab and u have to use mouse scroll to come back and see the entire map. It's quiet noisy when you play. Is there anything you could do for that?. (changing map size doesn't work).
The only solution I found is too use ctrl + mouse scroll to change size of my windows and show the entire map but now I can't read names properly.

Good work by the way.

If you use BOB, you can use the HUD (Head-Up Display) feature to put the Action tab at the bottom edge of the screen regardless of where you have scrolled.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:33 pm

Map looks very nice. I'm awaiting a game to fill up currently.

I have only one concern, sorry if this isn't the right place, I'm not familiar with the map-making process. Plus its pretty minor, has nothing to do with gameplay. Is this supposed to be when Columbus first discovered the New World? If so, the horse is out of place. Horses were extinct in the Americas for thousands of years, and were only introduced by European settlers when they first settled the Americas in the late 1400s. The natives would not have been riding horses for another few years. In fact the extinction of the native American horses happens to coincide approximately with the arrival of the peoples from Asia (now the native Americans).

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby danfrank on Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:29 pm

this map is cool. i like the way you blended the too together.. almost as if when you constructed each one you knew 1 day it would be as one .. My issue is simple and that is there is not enough going on to warrant the map to be this size.. although the size has increased in my opinion the play area has decreased significantly in comparison to the increase. scrolling up and down to look at a handful of territories is bland :sick:
Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby PapaGeek on Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:26 pm

ender516 wrote:
DJENRE wrote:Hi,

Good work by the way.

If you use BOB, you can use the HUD (Head-Up Display) feature to put the Action tab at the bottom edge of the screen regardless of where you have scrolled.

I totally agree, I use BOB and Greasemonkey. The combo makes the games much easier to play.
Major PapaGeek

Postby VicFontaine on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:46 pm

Question, in game Game 8687581, I'm currently holding N. Meso America, but am not showing that I'm going to get the +2 bonus. I've stared at the map. Am I missing something?

Ain't gonna matter much as the game is being taken by a freaking cook LOL. Nonetheless, this may be a bug...?
"It is a good day to die."
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby natty dread on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:57 pm

VicFontaine wrote:Question, in game Game 8687581, I'm currently holding N. Meso America, but am not showing that I'm going to get the +2 bonus. I've stared at the map. Am I missing something?

Sure you are. 22 regions = 5 troops + N.Meso, 2 = 7 troops, like it says.

On this map you get 1 troop for every 4 territories instead of every 3.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby VicFontaine on Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:02 pm

Huzzah! Thank you. I forgot about that completely.
"It is a good day to die."
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby Leehar on Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:24 pm

I've got some questions about the bonus structures, how they were decided, and if they're truly balanced?
For example, there are a lot more connection points, for the most part they aren't bad in that they connect to some of the same territories that are already open to attack, but I would think if there's more points from where a bonus can be attacked it it'd be a worthwhile case to increase the value of that bonus? Some of my concerns are with Eastern Forest, N. Amazon (btw, why do some names have North/South abbreviated, and others not? It wouldn't take too much more space to have them all extended?), Central Andes and N. Meso America.

Also, I don't think the Indies is a worthwhile amount either. The previous one which was exclusively in FNNA had 3 terr, where it could be broken from 2 places for a bonus of 2, the new one is now 5 terr. where it can be broken from 4 places which doesn't make it useful at +3 for me. Similar could be said for N. Amazon? I understand why it was reduced in amount because of 2 less terr, but I feel the extra breakable point makes it even.

Tbh, the only backing I have for this, is that if you look at it on a more holistic level, If you hold both those bonuses, it's 10 regions that are breakable from 6 places, as compared to places like Plains (9 broken from 6) and Subarctic (8 broken from 5) which have larger bonus values, it doesn't really compare?

Just something to think about from my side...
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby welshbean on Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:18 am

looks gret looking forward to having a few games on it
Corporal 1st Class welshbean

Postby Gillipig on Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:21 am

Thumbs up I've wanted to connect these maps ever since I saw both of them and now it's reality! Great work :D !!!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby MrBenn on Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:49 pm

Quenching

---The Beta period has concluded for the First Nations of the Americas Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready to be released into live play.

Congratulations Tisha, your shiny new medal is well-earned =D>

Conquer Club, enjoy!

--MrBenn
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Riskismy on Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:57 pm

Congratulations Tisha!! Already enjoyed several games on your map, and I'm sure I'll have plenty more!
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby natty dread on Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:21 pm

Congrats Tisha, another medal well earned :)
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas