Conquer Club

First Nations Americas.

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: First Nations combined. Update pg. 3

Postby Industrial Helix on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:45 pm

Can we get NiƱa and Victoria right under the ships?

And the second n in NiƱa ought to have a tilde.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Peter Gibbons on Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:01 pm

Beautiful combination. Will be a wonderful addition. Great idea to combine two beautiful existing maps to use under the new size allowances (I wonder... would the USA Interstate pack be next?).

Anyway only one gameplay suggestion/question right now...

Would a +1 bonus for holding both ships be in order? Or possibly a +1 auto-deploy on either? If neither suggestion ends up being in favor, should there be a place on the map that says the ships are "not part of any bonus" like the Sea of Japan territory on the Japan map?
Major Peter Gibbons

Postby Tisha on Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:28 pm

I moved the names a little closer, tilted the ships.

what are we doing with Neutrals? ship ship and Nimiipuu?

MrBenn wrote:
Part of me wonders whether Carib. and Ignerri on the Southern map should be absorbed into the Circum-Caribbean bonus on the Northern map, but I think that would be difficult to represent (even if it were a more natural grouping).

I would like to add those to the other bonus MrBenn, but now sure how that would work..
Major Tisha

Postby Industrial Helix on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:48 pm

I don't see why the ships ought to be neutrals. Let them deploy like every other territory. Nimiipuu should remain a neutral, as it is on FNoNA.

Where there any other starting neutrals on the other maps?
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby theBastard on Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:43 pm

I agree to add ships as neutral. and also Nimiipuu and Salish.
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Postby Tisha on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:26 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:I don't see why the ships ought to be neutrals. Let them deploy like every other territory. Nimiipuu should remain a neutral, as it is on FNoNA.

Where there any other starting neutrals on the other maps?

Starting neutrals:
North America: Nimiipuu

South America: Aonikenk

I can't remember any more. but if we make the ships plus one, we can make one of them a Neutral? :D
Major Tisha

Postby MarshalNey on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:07 pm

How many regions are on this map? I counted N.America at 72 (which agrees with the old map thread) but I counted S.America at 53 (map thread said 52) and then the 2 Ships.

So, the total appears to be 127. Is this right?

It's an unfortunate range for the drop, but at least if there were 2 neutral regions then 2-, 3- and 7-player games would have a nice starting number of regions at the drop. Dropping below 125 regions for the drop would put 5-player games at the worst place, and dropping below 124 would put 4-player games at the worst place.

As for 6-player and 8-player games, they will be at the worst starting regions no matter what, so no point in worrying about them.

Anyway my suggestion is to make sure there are at least 2 starting neutrals on the map, and if feasible no more than that.

Oh, one other small thing... could you put the map in the first post in bigimg tags?

Thanks,

Marshal Ney
Captain MarshalNey

Postby Tisha on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:50 pm

MarshalNey wrote:How many regions are on this map? I counted N.America at 72 (which agrees with the old map thread) but I counted S.America at 53 (map thread said 52) and then the 2 Ships.

So, the total appears to be 127. Is this right?

It's an unfortunate range for the drop, but at least if there were 2 neutral regions then 2-, 3- and 7-player games would have a nice starting number of regions at the drop. Dropping below 125 regions for the drop would put 5-player games at the worst place, and dropping below 124 would put 4-player games at the worst place.

As for 6-player and 8-player games, they will be at the worst starting regions no matter what, so no point in worrying about them.

Anyway my suggestion is to make sure there are at least 2 starting neutrals on the map, and if feasible no more than that.

Oh, one other small thing... could you put the map in the first post in bigimg tags?

Thanks,

Marshal Ney

127, yes

2 neutrals? one on Nimiipuu, and one on the ship? then give plus one for holding both ships?

Click image to enlarge.
Major Tisha

Re: First Nations combined. Update pg. 4

Postby MarshalNey on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:07 am

Tisha wrote:2 neutrals? one on Nimiipuu, and one on the ship? then give plus one for holding both ships?

That could work, yes... as long you're fine with Aonikenk being open for deployment. Considering the vast number of regions, I personally don't think it will be a problem, whereas the Ships will be a problem (either part of a bonus, part of no bonus and extra instruction on the legend, or a bonus in their own right) unless addressed in some way.

Making them their own bonus is my personal preference; my second choice would be to make them part of no bonus. The last option makes little thematic sense as the Ships were the nemesis of the native inhabitants in many ways.

Marshal Ney
Captain MarshalNey

Postby jefjef on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:33 am

Cool. Glad to see this combined!

For balance it might be a good idea for Victoria ship to move north connection up to Quinault and add a connect to Central America. Especially if you make it a bonus.

Thanks for the great maps Tisha! =D>
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby Tisha on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:29 am

MarshalNey wrote:
Tisha wrote:2 neutrals? one on Nimiipuu, and one on the ship? then give plus one for holding both ships?

That could work, yes... as long you're fine with Aonikenk being open for deployment. Considering the vast number of regions, I personally don't think it will be a problem, whereas the Ships will be a problem (either part of a bonus, part of no bonus and extra instruction on the legend, or a bonus in their own right) unless addressed in some way.

Making them their own bonus is my personal preference; my second choice would be to make them part of no bonus. The last option makes little thematic sense as the Ships were the nemesis of the native inhabitants in many ways.

Marshal Ney

plus one auto deploy for each ship?

well, I don't want that. because I only have room for two neutrals, and one needs to be Nimiipuu.
Major Tisha

Postby MarshalNey on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:02 pm

Tisha wrote:plus one auto deploy for each ship?

well, I don't want that. because I only have room for two neutrals, and one needs to be Nimiipuu.

Ummm, no I wasn't suggesting autodeploy. I agree that's a terrible idea. When I said 'make them their own bonus' I simply meant make them a bonus. Sorry for the confusion.

Yes, +1 for holding both sounds fine.
Captain MarshalNey

Postby iancanton on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:17 pm

this map looks as good as a picture.

MarshalNey wrote:As for 6-player and 8-player games, they will be at the worst starting regions no matter what, so no point in worrying about them.

at 127 regions, u can't do much about 6-player. however, the natural format for a map of such a size is 8-player, especially quads, where each player starts with exactly 15 regions, which allows someone to knock down an opponent's deployment easily before he or she has a chance to move. if this is fixed, then i can see the map becoming a favourite for clan games.

if we add 1 more ship to each ocean (to give a 4-ship bonus) and remove the neutrals (the +1 plateau bonus is reasonably likely to drop to a player only with 4 or fewer players, when the bonus adds +1 to a deployment of 10 to 14 troops - not a game-changer), then we have 129 regions, giving 16 regions to each of 8 players. adding 2 ships but keeping the nimipuu neutral is also possible while retaining 16 regions for 8 players.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby natty dread on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:54 pm

I wonder, why is the initial deployment problem never addressed by changing the troop reinforcements, especially on large maps like this?

When the map is this big, it would make sense to "scale up" the reinforcement specs as well.

For example, here we could specify that you'd get 1 troop for every 4 territories, with a minimum of 4. This way, 8 player games would be good with 15 starting territories.

7 playes would get 18 = 4 troops, can't drop below 4.
6 players would get 21 = need to take 2 to drop to 19.
5 players would get 25 = need to take 2 to drop to 23.
4 players would get 31 = need to take 4 to drop to 27.
3 players would get 42 = need to take 3 to drop to 39.

How does this sound?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Tisha on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:15 pm

natty_dread wrote:I wonder, why is the initial deployment problem never addressed by changing the troop reinforcements, especially on large maps like this?

When the map is this big, it would make sense to "scale up" the reinforcement specs as well.

For example, here we could specify that you'd get 1 troop for every 4 territories, with a minimum of 4. This way, 8 player games would be good with 15 starting territories.

How does this sound?

sounds good, I just don't know xml sorta things..
Major Tisha

Postby natty dread on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:22 pm

XML supports it, with the <reinforcements> tags.

viewtopic.php?f=466&t=23382#p1070531

Postby MarshalNey on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:58 am

natty_dread wrote:I wonder, why is the initial deployment problem never addressed by changing the troop reinforcements, especially on large maps like this?

How does this sound?

Brilliant natty! Why didn't I think of that? #-o

You will have to add the changes to the map legend somewhere, but you have the space I think.

I will also point out that you'd only be able to have 1 neutral, as the numbers natty presented require 126 deployable regions.

In that case, some decision would have to be made about where the neutral would go, and what the Ships would do. You could make them part of no bonus, and note that on the legend. They still provide the benefit of quick travel from the Northern continent to the Southern.

Marshal Ney
Captain MarshalNey

Postby natty dread on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:23 am

No, my calculations were based on 127 but now that I check it they also work the same for 126.

125 would work with everything except 6 player games (starting with 20).

In other words, you'd either need to have no neutrals, only 1 neutral, or sacrifice 6 player games if you want 2 neutrals.

I would suggest only starting Nimiipuu as neutral, or none at all.

Postby Tisha on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:38 am

I'd prefer zero neutrals.. the neutrals where brought up in the previous map productions.
or I guess I could do one neutral on Nimiipuu, and the ships worth zero bonus.

How would I word the "1 troop for every 4 territories, with a minimum of 4"? just like that?
Major Tisha

Postby Ace Rimmer on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:47 am

I like the 1 per 4, and I think the wording is fine. No neutrals, slim chance of dropping the +1 for plateau or dropping both ships, but not that big of a deal if it happens imho.
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:10 am

jakewilliams wrote:I like the 1 per 4, and I think the wording is fine. No neutrals, slim chance of dropping the +1 for plateau or dropping both ships, but not that big of a deal if it happens imho.

I'd be in favor of this as well.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Tisha on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:43 am

Click image to enlarge.
Major Tisha

Re: First Nations combined. Update pg. 5

Postby MrBenn on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:08 pm

I like the territory reinforcement change, I was going to suggest capping the territory bonus, but changing the ratios works better.

I think we should be able to come up with a nicer - more fitting - description of this change, something similar perhaps to the letter idea that IH used on the 13 Colonies map?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MarshalNey on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:32 pm

I have no further gameplay concerns. I'll sticky this tomorrow if none come to the fore, and it'll be in the next Surveyors Bulletin.

Marshal Ney
Captain MarshalNey

Postby MrBenn on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:00 pm

Regarding a possible bonus grouping for the Circum-Caribbean and the additional islands off the coast of South America (West Indies) you could group them by adding a note under the Nina as if it were part of the letter from Columbus to King Ferdinand of Spain...

"There I found very many islands... As soon as I arrived in the Indies..."

You could then amend the name of the circum-caribbean bonus on the legend of the North American portion of the map to "Indies", and give it a bonus of 3 or 4?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas