Conquer Club

Battle For Australia [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Skittles! on Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:51 am

This is looking fantastic!
The frame is good. It somehow suits.

The only problem is the bonus's
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:38 am

Skittles! wrote:This is looking fantastic!
The frame is good. It somehow suits.

The only problem is the bonus's

Thanks Skittles....check these bonuses now, I have adjusted them after conquering fluffybunikins spreadsheet she used on the underground.

I still want Samus or someone more knowledgeable to check bonuses.

Glad you like the map. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: WWII - BATTLE FOR AUSTRALIA - 8Apr V14 Re-work & Bon

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:41 am

cairnswk wrote:8Apr V14 Update

Last edited by cairnswk on Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby Gozar on Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:24 am

Looking swell!

You should move the Thursday Island title closer to the island, methinks. Yar Har!

:D

Cheers!
Lieutenant Gozar

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:44 am

Gozar wrote:Looking swell!

You should move the Thursday Island title closer to the island, methinks. Yar Har!

:D

Cheers!

Thanks Gozar....Done in the map above.
Private cairnswk

9Apr v15 Adjustments

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:08 pm

This is an adjusted version:
* title moved to the top to give better design flow and appeal - it was clashing with the region icons below it
* planes downsized
* wave background fixed to there is no straight border overlap
* Palau renamed to Ternati
* Truk renamed to From Truk - in reality there is no island there but this has to be a jumping off point for the Imperial Navy.

Private cairnswk

Postby spiesr on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:12 pm

Do you have the new large version?
Captain spiesr

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:15 pm

spiesr wrote:Do you have the new large version?

spiesr....thanks for your ???....Not yet...I not going to go to large version until I get some reply from Keyogi about these recent updates. I don't want to more all that effort in until things are finalised with the small map.

Do you need the large version??? :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Samus on Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:40 pm

Okay, I've been looking at this map and I haven't posted until now because I didn't know what I thought, and I still don't. :) But I can throw some thoughts out there, I'm sure we can work it out.

Here's what the formula* says about the bonus value of these regions, in their current state:

East Indies 2.92
New Guinea 6.00
N. New Guinea 4.58
W. Australia 4.50
E. Australia 3.83
Papua 5.25
The Bismarks 4.17
Solomons 2.83
Allied Navy 2.33
Imperial Japan 7.92

My initial impression is that Imperial Japan just doesn't feel like a real region. I'm not sure I could possibly see a player trying to take this under any circumstances. I would move one of the Japanese ships near the Allied Navy over to right above Mullingimbi, and change another to be an Allied ship.

W. Australia is a problem because it cannot be worth 4.5, so we need to do something to make it worth more or less. Since it has 9 territories, a bonus of 4 is rather weak, so I'd say more. I think connecting Mullingimbi to the newly placed Japanese ship would do it.

E. Australia suffers from a similar problem, 3.83 is a rather low score for 8 territories. I would move the Cairns connection to the Lexington, and connect Bamaga to the Yorktown and Mullingimbi.

Solomons' score of 2.83 is even lower for 8 territories, the whole region only connects to 2 territories! Not sure what to do about this yet, but I think it needs another connection.

The whole island in the middle bothers me, all the regions are either all border territories or all but 1. I'm not sure yet if anything can be done about N. New Guinea. Papua could have the Thursday connection moved from Pt. Morseby to Fly R. New Guinea needs the southern border of Central Highlands moved south slightly so that Mimika is no longer a border territory.

East Indies is okay I think, with a bonus of +3.

The Bismarks is also okay I think, with a bonus of +4.

So that's what I've got so far.

*The bonus formula is calculated ( ( (Number of territories * 1.5) + (Number of border territories * 4) + (Number of neighboring territories * 0.5) + (Number of neighboring regions * 1) ) / 6 ) - 1

EDIT: Added the all important "-1" at the end of the formula, without which all your numbers will be off. :wink:
Last edited by Samus on Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Samus

Postby cairnswk on Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:23 am

Samus wrote:The whole island in the middle bothers me, all the regions are either all border territories or all but 1. I'm not sure yet if anything can be done about N. New Guinea.

Would a row of mountains (they are there naturally) help between Aitape and Wewak?
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:27 am

Samus wrote:Okay, I've been looking at this map and I haven't posted until now because I didn't know what I thought, and I still don't. :) But I can throw some thoughts out there, I'm sure we can work it out.

I LUV PROACTIVE POSITIVITY....ONYA! :D

I would move one of the Japanese ships near the Allied Navy over to right above Mullingimbi, and change another to be an Allied ship.

Compromise...the two Coral Sea Japanese vessels are important to the overall story. So I have moved one back up by the Solomons where it wasn't attacked, and reduced the risk to the other, which was eventally sunk.

If we need to lose another Japanese Territory, I would rather lose Tanimbar, and make that part of the East Indies if neccesary.

I have added the RAN Cruiser Hobart to the Allied region as a support vessel, to counter the one you were going to replace. Because this gave an extra territory overall, Thursday Is has been removed, and the link from Horn Is to Fly R is in place as requested. Also the link to Bamaga from Mullinbimbi. This gives W Aust that extra attack route.

E. Australia suffers from a similar problem, 3.83 is a rather low score for 8 territories. I would move the Cairns connection to the Lexington, and connect Bamaga to the Yorktown and Mullingimbi.

Done somewhat along those lines - Cairns to Lexington is in place; I made it Mareeba to Yorktown though.

Solomons' score of 2.83 is even lower for 8 territories, the whole region only connects to 2 territories! Not sure what to do about this yet, but I think it needs another connection.

The Yorktown can attack to Guadalcanal, as this follows through from the bombers that were used out of Mareeba to attack the Solomons.

Milne Bay can now attack Tulagi which gives the Solomons that extra attack route. If still another attack route is required to the Solomons, it could be placed from Lae to Bouganville.

The whole island in the middle bothers me, all the regions are either all border territories or all but 1. I'm not sure yet if anything can be done about N. New Guinea.

What about mountains, from Aitape to Wewak...would that solve this issue?

EDIT: Samus I have put the Mamberamo River in there to assist alleviating that situation...does that suffice? Or would mountains still be preferred?

Papua could have the Thursday connection moved from Pt. Morseby to Fly R. New Guinea needs the southern border of Central Highlands moved south slightly so that Mimika is no longer a border territory.

Done

Samus, I look forward to the next installment... :lol: :)
Many thanks again for your expertise and patience.
Yes we will work this one out. There is so much that was involved in this battle, there are loads of options.
Last edited by cairnswk on Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby Bad Speler on Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:16 am

Im sure this has been discussed but there seems to be way to many attack lines. Aside from that, I like the overall graphics

My suggestions for bonuses

Papua: 5
N. New Guinea: 6
New Guinea: 5
East Indies: 3
W. Austrailia: 6/7
Allied Navy: 2
The Bismarks: 5
Imperial Japan: 9/10
Solomons: 4
E. Austrailia 5

One thing I noticed while doing the bonuses were that the colours in New Guinea are to close to each other, I got confused.
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Postby cairnswk on Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:25 pm

Bad Speler wrote:Im sure this has been discussed but there seems to be way to many attack lines.

Thanks for your contribution Bad Speler.....yes this has been discussed before, and they are have been reduced and added to as the map progresses.... I am sure there will be other additions/deletions, in many cases however, these are unavoidable because of the nature of this map being islands and vessels; not simply 6 or 7 seven continents.

Aside from that, I like the overall graphics

Kewl.. :)

My suggestions for bonuses

Papua: 5 N. New Guinea: 6 New Guinea: 5 East Indies: 3 W. Austrailia: 6/7 Allied Navy: 2 The Bismarks: 5 Imperial Japan: 9/10 Solomons: 4
E. Austrailia 5

Noted as above, but i have just added the Mamberamo River to N New Guinea and that will change those bonuses there.

One thing I noticed while doing the bonuses were that the colours in New Guinea are to close to each other, I got confused.

I'll see if there are any other objections to these colours, and if so one of them, so far though everyone doesn't shar your challenge.
Last edited by cairnswk on Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Bonus Table and Map

Postby cairnswk on Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:53 pm

Map

Bonus Table

Discussions???
Private cairnswk

Postby Coleman on Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:56 pm

Samus wrote:Okay, I've been looking at this map and I haven't posted until now because I didn't know what I thought, and I still don't. :) But I can throw some thoughts out there, I'm sure we can work it out.

Here's what the formula* says about the bonus value of these regions, in their current state:

East Indies 2.92
New Guinea 6.00
N. New Guinea 4.58
W. Australia 4.50
E. Australia 3.83
Papua 5.25
The Bismarks 4.17
Solomons 2.83
Allied Navy 2.33
Imperial Japan 7.92

My initial impression is that Imperial Japan just doesn't feel like a real region. I'm not sure I could possibly see a player trying to take this under any circumstances. I would move one of the Japanese ships near the Allied Navy over to right above Mullingimbi, and change another to be an Allied ship.

W. Australia is a problem because it cannot be worth 4.5, so we need to do something to make it worth more or less. Since it has 9 territories, a bonus of 4 is rather weak, so I'd say more. I think connecting Mullingimbi to the newly placed Japanese ship would do it.

The whole island in the middle bothers me, all the regions are either all border territories or all but 1. I'm not sure yet if anything can be done about N. New Guinea. Papua could have the Thursday connection moved from Pt. Morseby to Fly R. New Guinea needs the southern border of Central Highlands moved south slightly so that Mimika is no longer a border territory.

East Indies is okay I think, with a bonus of +3.

The Bismarks is also okay I think, with a bonus of +4.

So that's what I've got so far.

*The bonus formula is calculated ( ( (Number of territories * 1.5) + (Number of border territories * 4) + (Number of neighboring territories * 0.5) + (Number of neighboring regions * 1) ) / 6 ) - 1

I think you should listen to Samus on this.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby cairnswk on Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:00 pm

Coleman wrote:I think you should listen to Samus on this.

Coleman, thanks for your feedback....if you read the posts above this, you will see that I have attended to all but one of Samus' requests that being the Japanese vessel in the Pacific and that is still up for further discussion...so I am happy that I have listened to Samus thus far! :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Samus on Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:02 pm

I edited in the -1 at the end of the formula, as it should be (and as Coleman was nice enough to do too :) ). Also, the way your table calculates them is the way WidowMakers calculates them (aside from the -1), but I actually calculate 0.5 for each neighboring territory (or attack route) and 1 for each neighboring region (you and WidowMakers both have it the other way around). I think it better deals with regions that are either tucked away in a nice safe defensible corner or in the middle in attack range of everyone. Also, your table automatically rounded up instead of just regular rounding to the closest integer.

Anyhow, these are the new numbers I came up with:

East Indies: 2.92
New Guinea: 5.17
N. New Guinea: 3.92
W. Australia: 5.25
E. Australia: 5.00
Papua: 4.58
The Bismarks: 4.17
The Solomons: 3.75
Allied Navy: 2.17
Imperial Navy: 6.75

I think I'm pretty happy with these (rounded normally, not just rounded up). The only one that isn't fairly close to an integer is Papua, but given the location and neighbors, I think +5 is justified.

I can't think of anything else for now, so I'll have to think on it a while. :)
Major Samus

Postby hulmey on Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:36 pm

Hosnestly thtis map should, never appear on CC.

The worst map for me on this site is Maravaddins BRAZIL!!!

This is in the same picture!!

I cant make maps but i wouldnt dream of putting a map up like this lol
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby cairnswk on Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:41 pm

hulmey wrote:Hosnestly thtis map should, never appear on CC.

The worst map for me on this site is Maravaddins BRAZIL!!!

This is in the same picture!!

I cant make maps but i wouldnt dream of putting a map up like this lol

Thanks for the feedback Hulmey...and your objection is noted! :)

Can you explain why you have an objection to it?
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:50 am

Any feedback - anyone??
Private cairnswk

Postby Samus on Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:08 am

The bonuses still need to be adjusted. :)

Also, I just realized that you'll probably need to change "From Truk" back to just "Truk," otherwise the attack log will be confusing. It will read "JoeSchmoe attacked From Truk...." implying that's where he originated his assault from rather than what he attacked.
Major Samus

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:18 am

Samus wrote:The bonuses still need to be adjusted. :)

Also, I just realized that you'll probably need to change "From Truk" back to just "Truk," otherwise the attack log will be confusing. It will read "JoeSchmoe attacked From Truk...." implying that's where he originated his assault from rather than what he attacked.

Ahhhhh! Samus, just as I got the army shadows perfected on small Coral Coast...here you are! :lol:

Yes I realise the bonuses need adjusting yet, I had put this on the back burner for this week, as I wanted to really make headyway with the other CCC.

Also I want to ask, before we go adjusting bonuses, are you happy with the current situation of territories?
Do you think it needs adjusting up or down to create a more balanced number of bonuses e.g.

2 x 3
2 x 4
2 x 5
2 x 6
etc

similar to what we created on Coral Coast.

There are some options available to adjust up or down territoires to create this more balanced bonus play.

What do you think?

Do we need to have 1 x 8 and 1 x7 and 2 x6 and 2 x 5 and 2 x 4 and 2 x 3
to even things out.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:54 pm

Polling Ends Soon!
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:14 pm

Samus, this is the kind of blalanced version I was talking about.

Below is my bonus workings...what do you think?

Private cairnswk

Postby ParadiceCity9 on Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:33 pm

cairnswk wrote:Samus, this is the kind of blalanced version I was talking about.

Below is my bonus workings...what do you think?

I just realized that on the map it says imperial japan and in the chart is says imperial navy so...ya...
Corporal 1st Class ParadiceCity9

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas