Conquer Club

Eight Thoughts [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby KEYOGI on Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:35 pm

Coleman wrote:The like/dislike seems pretty even right now. Except I'm noticing a lot of map foundry vets who have seen/made/worked with a lot of maps all don't like this thing very much while a lot of the newer people (with a couple of exceptions) like the idea a lot more. Not really sure what to make of that or what that means.

Don't rush into it. The thread's been going for two days. Give some of the regular foundry members more time to have their say before going nuts on the graphics.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:27 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Hm, I'm sorry to say, this map hasn't captured my interest or attention yet.

Agreed. I feel no appeal. But the idea isnt that bad... if we can get another theme...

How about a pizza map??? Yum-yum :wink:
Major Marvaddin

Postby hecter on Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:39 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Check out Chinese Checkers Map then...that is exactly what you are looking for...and its idea is much better, in my honest opinion.

--Andy

The chinese checkers map doesn't have the same apeal for me.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby Jack0827 on Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:35 pm

I don't no why I like it just seems nise and simple(I almost always try to aviod this type of simple map) but I just like the whole idea behind it. I think that it is great for some strang reason.
Private Jack0827

Postby DiM on Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:03 pm

KEYOGI wrote:
Coleman wrote:The like/dislike seems pretty even right now. Except I'm noticing a lot of map foundry vets who have seen/made/worked with a lot of maps all don't like this thing very much while a lot of the newer people (with a couple of exceptions) like the idea a lot more. Not really sure what to make of that or what that means.

Don't rush into it. The thread's been going for two days. Give some of the regular foundry members more time to have their say before going nuts on the graphics.

i agree with keyogi. just wait a few more days and keep working on the map.

my torn parchment map got so many modifications, in the end i found out i made 4 maps :lol: and i kept only 2.
the point is as time runs by more and more people give new suggestions and maps transform. this map has a really nice theme and as i saw on my map thread theme is very important. the gameplay is nice but the graphics are kinda ugly (but this can be sorted).

so keep a stiff upper lip and press on.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:14 pm

Here is the first pic

41 territories. Not ideal but the layout causes this. Playability is interesting in that 2 people cannot hold neighboring "continents".

What does everyone think?
Major WidowMakers

Postby Jack0827 on Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:18 pm

nice job on graphics I didn't have high hopes for them but they look preaty good. you could go for a slightly less dark feel but it could just be me
Private Jack0827

Postby Coleman on Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:22 pm

WidowMakers wrote:Here is the first pic

What does everyone think?

I never imagined you would do such a great job :shock:

Uh, one problem...

Numbers should be:

6 1 3
7 2 4
8 3 5
1 4 6
2 5 7
3 6 8
4 7 1
Last edited by Coleman on Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby MonRepos on Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:23 pm

Looks great now, i would only change the numbers to the symbols that were discussed before (Heart for Love, Skull for Death etc.) Besides that, it looks great graphically...
Corporal 1st Class MonRepos

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:26 pm

wonderfull. i like the fact that it's dark.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:26 pm

MonRepos wrote:Looks great now, i would only change the numbers to the symbols that were discussed before (Heart for Love, Skull for Death etc.) Besides that, it looks great graphically...

I planned on it. I only did the numbers to get it out today. I just wanted to see how everyone liked it. If everyone wants me to continue, I will update the +3 Bonus numbers wit the symbols discussed earlier.

Jack0827 wrote:nice job on graphics I didn't have high hopes for them but they look preaty good. you could go for a slightly less dark feel but it could just be me

I know it is a bit dark. But I feel it fits the theme a little. Well see.
Major WidowMakers

Postby Jack0827 on Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:33 pm

ya you are most likely right I don't mind the dark much at all, and great job this one should come out great
Private Jack0827

Postby Coleman on Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:38 pm

Sorry, didn't want this to get lost.

Numbers should be:

6 1 3
7 2 4
8 3 5
1 4 6
2 5 7
3 6 8
4 7 1
Sergeant Coleman

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:42 pm

Coleman wrote:Sorry, didn't want this to get lost.

Numbers should be:

6 1 3
7 2 4
8 3 5
1 4 6
2 5 7
3 6 8
4 7 1

I will fix these when I update the symbols
Major WidowMakers

Postby JCRuffino on Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:49 pm

Good job, I like it
Corporal JCRuffino

Postby Guiscard on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:19 pm

Wow this just got much more interesting! Good work. I'll have a look at playability when I get the chance...
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby boberz on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:42 pm

i like it dark but some of the texture are to prominant and detract form the appeal of the map
Corporal 1st Class boberz

Postby Samus on Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:02 pm

Numbers should be:

6 1 3
7 2 4
8 3 5
1 4 6
2 5 7
3 6 8
4 7 1

Since 6 1 3 is the same as 3 6 1 (the other number combinations are the same way), this list is the same as what's there now.
Major Samus

Postby Coleman on Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:49 pm

Samus wrote:

Numbers should be:

6 1 3
7 2 4
8 3 5
1 4 6
2 5 7
3 6 8
4 7 1

Since 6 1 3 is the same as 3 6 1 (the other number combinations are the same way), this list is the same as what's there now.

You are right, but I actually based the idea of the map off of something (that isn't copyrighted, and even if it was it has been so changed it doesn't reflect much of the original) and the order he had the numbers in really threw me off. I guess it doesn't need to be changed but I would really prefer it if he had 6 1 3 instead of 3 6 1 or any other combination.

Edit: Looking back, I probably should have brought it up via PM.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:58 pm

Coleman wrote:You are right, but I actually based the idea of the map off of something (that isn't copyrighted, and even if it was it has been so changed it doesn't reflect much of the original) and the order he had the numbers in really threw me off. I guess it doesn't need to be changed but I would really prefer it if he had 6 1 3 instead of 3 6 1 or any other combination.

Edit: Looking back, I probably should have brought it up via PM.

All of this will be fixed tomorrow with the new symbols.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

But besides the LOOK. What does everyone think about the gameplay?
Major WidowMakers

Postby oaktown on Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:19 pm

really, really nice work widowmakers.
Captain oaktown

Postby DiM on Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:00 am

WidowMakers wrote: What does everyone think about the gameplay?

i always considered thoughts as something really really chaotic, they may seem ordered but in fact everything is chaotic we might have a clear thought in our mind but in the background there are millions of other thoughts going on running around in our heads. well this map seems too organized too geometrical in my opinion. the gameplay as it is now could prove interesting but to me it just does not fit with the theme:wink:
but this would mean changing everything so don't mind me :roll:
you asked for it. :)
Major DiM

Postby boberz on Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:09 am

but the graphics make it seem confusing this shows that all the thoughts are linked i like it how it is and that people go around in circles
Corporal 1st Class boberz

Postby DiM on Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:13 am

yeah this could be a point but the thoughts are too geometrical :wink:
Major DiM

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:24 pm

Here are the Large and small maps. I don't have the XML done (or started) I jsut pasted and moved the numers around to show what it would look like.

The numbers around the map have been changed to symbols. Does anyone have any suggestions. I am going to stop working on this map until we can agree on the gameplay.

P.S. Note to all other Cartographers.
For those who care I want to explain how I made this map. Maybe some of the things I learned will help others make their maps better too.

I used Photoshop. In Photoshop, all I used to make this entire map was the pen tool, marque tool, eraser, text tool and paint brush with black paint. THAT IS IT. All color and shading and texture was done with layer styles and blending modes. If you could disable all of the effects for this map you would have around 500 layers of black lines and blobs.

I just wanted to let everyone know because this map shoudl how you can make very compelx and detailed pictures without the need to actually draw layer different pics. The blending modes and layer styles are GREAT!!!
Major WidowMakers

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas