Conquer Club

Age of Merchants - [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby fireedud on Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:13 pm

Dim, what's the point of the factory on the island with the pirate cove?
It serves no purpose, besides for being a territory.
me have no sig
Cook fireedud

Postby Timminz on Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:17 pm

That factory is to go along with the shells. All those little islands are one continent.
Captain Timminz

Postby DiM on Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:12 am

fireedud wrote:Dim, what's the point of the factory on the island with the pirate cove?
It serves no purpose, besides for being a territory.

timminz is right. each continent has a small colored outline to define it's boundaries. look at the top left continent it has a green outline. now look at the small islands in the middle. they all have a red outline meaning all those islands form 1 continent.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby fireedud on Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:05 am

OH, now I get it, so the shells can only go to that factory and if get transported to that market it's only plus 1.
me have no sig
Cook fireedud

Postby DiM on Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:16 am

fireedud wrote:OH, now I get it, so the shells can only go to that factory and if get transported to that market it's only plus 1.

yep :wink:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Mepps on Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:33 pm

My angle on Pirate's Cove comes from playing 2 player games. There if you get Pirate Cove and a just a couple of ports, you dominate.
Colonel Mepps

Postby DiM on Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:13 pm

Mepps wrote:My angle on Pirate's Cove comes from playing 2 player games. There if you get Pirate Cove and a just a couple of ports, you dominate.

yep indeed in 2 player games pirate cove can really be decisive but it all depends on what your opponent does. if he let's you keep it then he deserves to lose. in any 2 player games i play on AoM if a guy goes for pirate cove and has more than 6 ports i immediately try to break it. if he has 6 or less ports then i find other ways to get bigger bonuses than him. remember he has to protect 6 borders and gets a bonus of 6 while i can take 2 continents have the same number of borders (6) a bigger bonus (8) plus more terits and indirectly an even larger bonus.
Major DiM

Postby Sven Hassel on Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:01 am

there is a mistake in the legend, you doubled the word "for" in the line:

"+1 for each Resourse Pair and Factory on the same continent"

curently it reads:

"+1 for for each Resourse Pair and Factory on the same continent"
"Bullets kill, grenades kill, bayonets kill, the cold kills. Death has a thousand faces. The worst of them all: the Court Martial."
Lieutenant Sven Hassel

Postby gimil on Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:05 am

Sven Hassel wrote:there is a mistake in the legend, you doubled the word "for" in the line:

"+1 for each Resource Pair and Factory on the same continent"

currently it reads:

"+1 for for each Resource Pair and Factory on the same continent"

lol i find that rather comical. especially since i read the legends about 6 times before i 1st played on it
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:08 pm

Sven Hassel wrote:there is a mistake in the legend, you doubled the word "for" in the line:

"+1 for each Resourse Pair and Factory on the same continent"

curently it reads:

"+1 for for each Resourse Pair and Factory on the same continent"

thanks for pointing it out i have no idea how that went unnoticed for so long :)

anyway here are the corrected versions.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w250/DiM-topia/aom-largedark-sig-1.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w250/DiM-topia/aom-smalldark-sig-1.jpg
Major DiM

Postby Sven Hassel on Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:24 pm

no problem man

PS: in orice caz belea harta, misto si sistemul de bonusuri :wink:
"Bullets kill, grenades kill, bayonets kill, the cold kills. Death has a thousand faces. The worst of them all: the Court Martial."
Lieutenant Sven Hassel

Postby DiM on Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:34 pm

Sven Hassel wrote:no problem man

PS: in orice caz belea harta, misto si sistemul de bonusuri :wink:

thanks for pointing it out mate.

PS: marfa inca un romanas. mersi de apreciere omule.
Major DiM

Postby Sven Hassel on Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:07 pm

suntem destui pe aici doar ca majoritate nu prea intra si posteaza pe forum :wink:
Lieutenant Sven Hassel

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:24 pm

Typo fixed versions loaded.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

A plea to DIM for 1v1 AOM game changes ;P

Postby Nc_Hunt3r on Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:41 pm

Ive been playing 1v1 no cards AOM games nonstop for a few days.. And 2 things ive noticed decide the games when two people of equal knowledge of the map play each other. #1 the luck of the dice and #2 placement.. How placement really effects the game is whoever gets a bonus set on first deployment or whoever has the market + atleast 1 single resource pair item. That person is typically put on the offensive for the duration of the game (if the dice let him) and the other person has to take on a defensive strategy with a very slim chance of seeing a bonus pair or a win as all his armies are spent on breaking the other players bonus.

Most of the luck should come from the strategy and the roll of the dice IMHO. Can we please make it so that atleast 1 resource pair item on every continent is neutral and all markets ? You can still strategize based on placement and still get a advantage but atleast its not such a advantage that the other person doesnt have a chance in the world of winning.

Just some thoughts..
Corporal Nc_Hunt3r

Postby DiM on Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:45 pm

my fav soccer team is playing right now in champions league. i'll give a detailed answer in 45 minutes.
Major DiM

Postby Nc_Hunt3r on Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:48 pm

Thanks! I'll check it tonight I have to run for a few hours!

Id rather see a possibility of getting a factory then a market because you cant transport goods across continents to factorys..

On one of the games I had a port a market and a single resoure pair item and a market or two on other continents with ports also lol.. Needless to say I won that in a major way =)
Corporal Nc_Hunt3r

Re: A plea to DIM for 1v1 AOM game changes ;P

Postby wicked on Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:56 pm

Nc_Hunt3r wrote:Ive been playing 1v1 no cards AOM games nonstop for a few days.. And 2 things ive noticed decide the games when two people of equal knowledge of the map play each other. #1 the luck of the dice and #2 placement..

This is true of any 1v1 game. People can get bonuses on all maps depending on the drop. It's the nature of a 1v1 game.
Major wicked

Postby insomniacdude on Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:28 pm

wicked wrote:
Nc_Hunt3r wrote:Ive been playing 1v1 no cards AOM games nonstop for a few days.. And 2 things ive noticed decide the games when two people of equal knowledge of the map play each other. #1 the luck of the dice and #2 placement..

This is true of any 1v1 game. People can get bonuses on all maps depending on the drop. It's the nature of a 1v1 game.

AoM is a bit different I think, since a person only needs 3-5 countries for any bonus, and many of them overlap. I think starting all the markets neutral is a great idea, even outside of 1v1 games.
Cadet insomniacdude

Postby DiM on Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:07 pm

Nc_Hunt3r wrote:Ive been playing 1v1 no cards AOM games nonstop for a few days.. And 2 things ive noticed decide the games when two people of equal knowledge of the map play each other. #1 the luck of the dice and #2 placement.. How placement really effects the game is whoever gets a bonus set on first deployment or whoever has the market + atleast 1 single resource pair item. That person is typically put on the offensive for the duration of the game (if the dice let him) and the other person has to take on a defensive strategy with a very slim chance of seeing a bonus pair or a win as all his armies are spent on breaking the other players bonus.

Most of the luck should come from the strategy and the roll of the dice IMHO. Can we please make it so that atleast 1 resource pair item on every continent is neutral and all markets ? You can still strategize based on placement and still get a advantage but atleast its not such a advantage that the other person doesnt have a chance in the world of winning.

Just some thoughts..

first of all my fav team lost in a match they clearly dominated. but that's football :(

anyway back on topic.

lucky deployments and lucky dice are a sure winner on any map not just AoM and especially on 1v1 games.

i've seen people start with africa on doodle earth i've seen people start with australia or south america on classic and i've seen people start with +12 on AoM. i'm not even talking about world 2.1 because i've seen some pretty huge things on that one.

if you look at the map the only neutral terit in AoM is the pirate cove. why?
because the pirate cove can give a pretty big bonus and is very easy to defend. i did not consider and still don't the necessity of making other terits neutral.

i have several games where my opponent had a bonus from the start and i still won.

in fact here is a portion of game chat i found while browsing my 1v1 games on AoM:
DiM: well you went first :(
DiM: plus good deployment. looks like a copy of the other game :))
DiM: wow the pirate cove the coffee and tobacco plus coconut and pineapple. all easy to take for you :(
XXX: its scary how similar it is
XXX: hardly a fair rematch. although its not over yet, and if you win it would be an impressive victory
DiM: and let's see my chances for a bonus. hmmm none :(

my opponent had a great start but i knew what and when to attack and managed to win the game in just 7 rounds.

the thing about AoM is that there are so many bonuses you're bound to get your hands on one. plus if you know what to do you can bring down an opponents bonus by a lot by attacking just 1 terit.
imagine a guy with a resource pair and 3 foreign markets. that's a +6. well take his port and his bonus is gone or take one of his resources.
in AoM you just need to make precision attacks that break the chain.

also in 1v1 the most important thing is to be offensive but offensive sometimes means going through the back door.
for example a guy starts with a resource pair and a foreign market. he has a +2. it's a bonus but not that big. instead of breaking it try getting a bonus for yourself set up smart defences and you will succeed. try going for multiple targets and set up traps. use the terrain in your advantage. ports are very important for movement. he who controls them controls the map. but the docks make for some pretty nice back doors.

anyway i feel like i've already written too much.
i don't want to make resources neutral or markets or anything else. if i make resources neutral then there's really no incentive to try and get a resource from another player knowing you then have to take it's pair from the neutral. you just ignore him and go for something else. i want people to fight fiercely for every bit of land and i think that AoM gives probably the highest chance of a comeback from all the current maps because there are so many bonuses. in classic 1v1 if somebody starts with australia you've pretty much lost the game since it is so easy to defend but in AoM if a guy starts with a bonus he has much more terits to defend plus there are many other easy to obtain bonuses.
Major DiM

Postby Nc_Hunt3r on Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:31 pm

Thanks for the detailed response and i can see reasoning to both sides =)
Corporal Nc_Hunt3r

Postby yeti_c on Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:16 am

The problem with this is that - although I partially agree that markets could be neutral for 1v1... but they need to stay non-neutral for any more than 2...

This is impossible with the current system so therefore the majority prevails... and the markets stay open and not neutral.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Colato gives out strange bonuses

Postby Danram on Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:30 pm

I was looking in the forum, but i can´t find an answer to this.

In one game - http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=894104 - first red held colato, but green fort hope. Even though, in one occasion, red got the market bonus (plants). Now green got colato and all the way to puerto rico, but still won´t get bonuses for goods (clothes+puerto esperanza).

What must happen so that colato has bonuses?

Thanks for any answer.

bye.
Major Danram

Re: Colato gives out strange bonuses

Postby DiM on Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:58 pm

Danram wrote:I was looking in the forum, but i can´t find an answer to this.

In one game - http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=894104 - first red held colato, but green fort hope. Even though, in one occasion, red got the market bonus (plants). Now green got colato and all the way to puerto rico, but still won´t get bonuses for goods (clothes+puerto esperanza).

What must happen so that colato has bonuses?

Thanks for any answer.

bye.

in order to get the bonus for transporting the resources to a foreign market you need to own the resource pair, the market and 2 ports. 1 on the resource continent and 1 on the market continent.

in your case you have the hat and clothes resource and you have the colato market. now you need 2 ports to connect them. one on your resource continent you have puerto esperanza and you need one more port on the continent that has colato.
if you look at each land mass they have a thin colored border representing the continent they belong to. colato is in the red continent along with all the center islands. so you need to get puerto tranquillo or puerto modesto in order to get the colato bonus.
Major DiM

thanks

Postby Danram on Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:36 pm

thank you for your fast reply. Now it makes perfect sense.
Major Danram

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas