Conquer Club

Age of Merchants - [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby boberz on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:44 pm

unfortuantly the essay in the top right hand corner puts me off also i like the style of the font but could it be slightly less elaborate to keep th appeal
Corporal 1st Class boberz

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:47 pm

boberz wrote:unfortuantly the essay in the top right hand corner puts me off also i like the style of the font but could it be slightly less elaborate to keep th appeal

yes that part also bothers me but i could not find another way to make the text shorter :(

i'm open for any suggestions :shock:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby boberz on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:50 pm

how about put a background around it, have small but elaborate bullet points and write the points in note form.

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:53 pm

boberz wrote:how about put a background around it, have small but elaborate bullet points and write the points in note form.

i told you i can't think of another way of expressing the same ideas but in fewer words :(

if you know hot to say the same thing in fewer words post the text here and i'll also add a background or a frame or something.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby boberz on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:59 pm

kk rather than saying "all harbours connect to each other" say harbours connect with each other rather than "owning a resource and market in same continent gives a bonus of two" say "a resource and a market in same continent gives bonus of 2" something along these lines (not a major change) throw in a plain background with fancy bullet points becomes more readable, just a suggestion though

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:13 pm

here you go:

Major DiM

Postby boberz on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:15 pm

beautiful why not put the same backgorund on the key at the bottom then that is more clear as well thanx for the quick responses and updates

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:22 pm

boberz wrote:beautiful why not put the same backgorund on the key at the bottom then that is more clear as well thanx for the quick responses and updates

here is the new one. and thanks for the feedback. i think the resource icons in the legend are very clear now.

Major DiM

Postby boberz on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:29 pm

bbbbrrrriiiillliiiiaaaannntttt i love u

maybe that is too far but i think its great

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:32 pm

i'll be upt for 1 or 2 more hours then i'll go to bed. post anything else you want modified.
Major DiM

Postby Bad Speler on Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:24 pm

in my opinion, the grey background doesnt fit in with the rest of the map.
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:33 pm

here is a new version. i think this one looks much cleaner and it should be very visible.

Major DiM

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:37 pm

and here's a version without grass and rocks and hillls and any other fancy graphics. the only symbols are those that are important (resources harbours, etc.)

Major DiM

Postby Bad Speler on Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:38 pm

wow, never would of thought about removing the colours but it looks good. Because of the removal of colours, i think you should remove any decorative mountain or grass (or whatever the graphic is) such as the one in Javas, from blank territories so no one gets confused. Also, space out the items in the legend evenly.

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:41 pm

Bad Speler wrote:wow, never would of thought about removing the colours but it looks good. Because of the removal of colours, i think you should remove any decorative mountain or grass (or whatever the graphic is) such as the one in Javas, from blank territories so no one gets confused. Also, space out the items in the legend evenly.

i was one minute ahead of you :lol:
check out the previous message :)
Major DiM

Postby joystickgenie on Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:45 pm

could be an interesting map. I'll play it at least once to see how the gameplay comes together with the unique bonus system.

Shinobi Nations
Comments are greatly appreciated.
Cadet joystickgenie

Postby Bad Speler on Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:46 pm

lol, your quick, you manged to fix it before i told you to :lol:. But the legend still needs to be evenly spaced

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:47 pm

Bad Speler wrote:lol, your quick, you manged to fix it before i told you to :lol:. But the legend still needs to be evenly spaced

i'll do it now.

edit// here. also moved some teritory names that bothered me.

Major DiM

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:57 pm

joystickgenie wrote:could be an interesting map. I'll play it at least once to see how the gameplay comes together with the unique bonus system.

if this ever gets quenched i hope you'll play it many times mainly because of the bonus system but also because of the feeling.
Major DiM

Postby Bad Speler on Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:15 pm

Make your signature at the bottom right a bit more readable. Also you still have to find a way to specify that the islands are a single continent. Perhaps also extend the land to the edge of the map., it looks a bit cut off, especially when the lines of latitude and longitude go between the edge of the map and the edge of the land. One more thing to do, move the Puerto Modesto name so its not on the sea route. Just wanted to bring up a point on playability, there would be many bonuses awarded, for example the first round the first person to go if he got a lucky deployment might get 10 bonus armies to do a lot of damage. Maybe halve the bonuses.

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:26 pm

Bad Speler wrote:Make your signature at the bottom right a bit more readable. Also you still have to find a way to specify that the islands are a single continent. Perhaps also extend the land to the edge of the map., it looks a bit cut off, especially when the lines of latitude and longitude go between the edge of the map and the edge of the land. One more thing to do, move the Puerto Modesto name so its not on the sea route. Just wanted to bring up a point on playability, there would be many bonuses awarded, for example the first round the first person to go if he got a lucky deployment might get 10 bonus armies to do a lot of damage. Maybe halve the bonuses.

the islands as a single continent problem seems rather difficult to solved. i've even thought to draw a circle around it but it does not look right.

the land problem is because i took out the edge effect from the background. i'll replace that.

about the bonuses i don't know what to say. if i half them then they might be too low. but if more people consider this i'll do it.
Major DiM

Postby hulmey on Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:36 pm

great idea here d i m but i feel the map is very blend...i like your other other wooden maps on the other thread
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:40 pm

here is the revised version.

Major DiM

Postby Enigma on Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:44 pm

its looking better but still the wrong font. with the large letters and all the different symbols the map is way to busy.

i still personally think this concept would work better on a more colourful map. but i really like the idea- itll make for a very strategically interesting game!
Do you need an excuse to have a war? I mean, who for? Can't you just say "You got lots of cash and land, but I've got a big sword, so divy up right now, chop chop."
Terry Pratchet
Lieutenant Enigma

Postby Bad Speler on Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:51 pm

in the south of the map, try getting the borders and latitude lines to not go beyond the land.

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas