Conquer Club

SteamWorks

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: SteamWorks

Postby DiM on Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:04 am

wow, lack uploaded it disturbingly fast. :)
didn't expect this :D
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Re: SteamWorks [03 Aug 2011] V26 pg.1&26 - XML done?

Postby DiM on Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:06 am

ender516 wrote:What last minute changes did you make here?

i tweaked the colours a bit to make the maps look less washed out when lack uploads them.
and i also added a little water blob on the big map next to the title.

PS: and of course what zimmah said :twisted:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby zimmah on Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:15 am

DiM wrote:wining condition etc.

you either mean winning or whining :)
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby neanderpaul14 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:43 pm

The balloon on Surrey needs to be darkened to look like the other ones. At first glance it doesn't resemble them.
High score: 2724
/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby DiM on Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:03 pm

neanderpaul14 wrote:The balloon on Surrey needs to be darkened to look like the other ones. At first glance it doesn't resemble them.

this issue has been discussed in the past. it is like this because it's partially occluded by the steam that comes out from the pipe on the right side.
the general consensus when this was brought up was that it's fine like this.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:05 pm

does this play ok? any outstanding problems?
i haven't managed to take a single turn so far :)
Major DiM

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:01 pm

Patience, young Sasquatch. Your time will come...

-Master Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby neanderpaul14 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:28 pm

DiM wrote:does this play ok? any outstanding problems?
i haven't managed to take a single turn so far :)

My dice have been shitty. :P
High score: 2724
/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby Seamus76 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:12 pm

Really enjoying the map. good work.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby zimmah on Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:03 am

according to bob, the bonus system works fine. altho i haven't held a bonus at the start of my turn so far.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:12 am

In Herford could you move the steam down please. It makes it looks like the other 2 territories connect. (Buckingham / Cambridge)
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby DiM on Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:25 am

Bruceswar wrote:In Herford could you move the steam down please. It makes it looks like the other 2 territories connect. (Buckingham / Cambridge)

does anybody else have this issue?
i could have a bit of space to move it down but not too much because it would interfere with the army numbers.
Major DiM

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:33 am

DiM wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:In Herford could you move the steam down please. It makes it looks like the other 2 territories connect. (Buckingham / Cambridge)

does anybody else have this issue?
i could have a bit of space to move it down but not too much because it would interfere with the army numbers.

Only in my first game but I have not seen it as a concern.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby DiM on Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:51 am

ok, i have moved the steam a bit lower and to the right. the borders should be perfectly visible. also i tested the new images and 3 digit army numbers still fit in that terit.
here are the new files:
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/9400/steamworksl.png
Click image to enlarge.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1061/steamworkss.png
Click image to enlarge.
Major DiM

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:55 am

Thanks Dim. Very nice looking map I might add. I tried to hit from buckingham to camb.. I felt dumb afterwards. lol
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:49 pm

The updated files were sent to lackattack ;)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby DiM on Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:12 pm

thanks
Major DiM

Postby White Moose on Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:52 pm

What can I say, the map doesn't work well for 1v1s at least.
Highest Score: 3374
Major White Moose

Postby DiM on Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:11 pm

White Moose wrote:What can I say, the map doesn't work well for 1v1s at least.

you played just a single 1v1 game that you won in 10 rounds.
none of the players received a bonus from the start and there was no map related advantage for going first.
the fact that the game lasted 10 rounds on a map where each player started with just 8 terits also tells me that there's no 2nd round elimination crap like on other maps.

so what exactly was the problem? because just by looking at your game i can say the map is actually great for 1v1 since it provides an environment where random influence is greatly reduced and strategy is the key to winning a game that actually lasts longer than a couple of turns.
Major DiM

Postby IcePack on Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:19 pm

My only comment, is some of the text at the bottom is damn near impossible to read on an iphone. I got an invite to this map and had to put off even playing a turn until i could get on a borrowed computer to read about the game play...

Other then that, it appears to be a fun layout. I just hope I remember what the legend says :/

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby DiM on Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:23 pm

IcePack wrote:My only comment, is some of the text at the bottom is damn near impossible to read on an iphone. I got an invite to this map and had to put off even playing a turn until i could get on a borrowed computer to read about the game play...

Other then that, it appears to be a fun layout. I just hope I remember what the legend says :/

to be honest i have no idea how the map is displayed on an iphone or on any other phones. if the map is automatically resized to fit the iphone screen then it's normal not to be able to read cause it would be really really small. but you should be able to zoom in (i think)
Major DiM

Postby IcePack on Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:29 pm

You can zoom in, i guess my critique is more "compared with other maps, i have to zoom in much further" for it to be legible.
It's impossible to read the legend and see the map on the same screen. (note: this is not the only map like this...just the only one in beta, so I thought id comment).

Looks fun tho, I'll play it more (on the borrowed computer, til I know it better and can play on my phone)

IcePack

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby DiM on Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:36 pm

well the basic logic is pretty simple so i guess a couple of games is all you need to master it :)

if you play only on your iphone then you might want to go to the suggestion subforum and support a certain suggestion about maps for mobile devices.

read more here: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=152827
Major DiM

Postby ender516 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:41 pm

I was just examining the XML in detail (because of the way BOB displays continents with overrides, I was a little puzzled) and I see that holding One Steam and no engines at all does not incur the -1 bonus, as the legend implies that it should.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby DiM on Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:01 pm

ender516 wrote:I was just examining the XML in detail (because of the way BOB displays continents with overrides, I was a little puzzled) and I see that holding One Steam and no engines at all does not incur the -1 bonus, as the legend implies that it should.

"Having more steam than engines is fatal. For each excess steam you lose all engine bonuses and get -1 troop per turn"

that's what the legend says. the fact that you lose all engine bonuses means that you must first own such a bonus so you must also own at least one engine. the idea is that if you pump to much steam in your engine it blows and you get the negative bonus. now if you have just a steam and no engine there's nothing to blow is there? :P
Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas