Conquer Club

SIEGE! - PSD available - [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

SIEGE! - PSD available - [Quenched]

Postby mibi on Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:49 pm

an epic siege battle map... its a fortress, dug into a mountain side. similar to Helms Deep.

small

I thought this would be good single player but great on triples or doubles. Lots of room for strategy and alliances.

the names of each area would just be 1,2,3 on the map but the XML will read "Player attacks the Throne from the Southern Great Hall" or "Player attacks the Midlands 3 from the Plains 4"

first versoin
Last edited by mibi on Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:19 pm, edited 71 times in total.
Captain mibi

Postby oaktown on Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:53 pm

potential for fun gameplay... spruce up the graphics and you really have something.
Captain oaktown

Postby mibi on Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:57 pm

yeah i just made it in about an hour to get the idea off my mind.
Captain mibi

Postby DiM on Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:08 pm

i like the idea.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby MasterEddie38 on Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:24 pm

I think it has a lot of potential to be a fun map. I really like the idea.
Cadet MasterEddie38

Postby boberz on Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:53 pm

brilliant idea but i think it has been attempted before quite recently cant remember what haooene to it
Corporal 1st Class boberz

Postby mibi on Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:54 pm

ok I added some textures, and took out the useless dense forest and gave the forest one more territory for a total of 50

Last edited by mibi on Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain mibi

Postby Samus on Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:00 pm

So the person who just happens to start the game with the Great Hall gets a +3 bonus out of luck, which they will most certainly use to ensure they keep that Great Hall for the rest of the game. They win.

Remove the Great Hall bonus, give it more territories, or merge it with the inner wall territories, and I will comment further. As is, this map is not playable.
Major Samus

Postby Gozar on Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:02 pm

In my opinion you should try some darker colours. Dark ages, dark colours, castles....you get the idea.
These bright colours are too legoland. :)
Like the idea so far!
Gozar
Lieutenant Gozar

Postby Evil Pope on Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:05 pm

Hmm.. I think the textures could use alot more work.. I'm thinking that the texture for the wall is all wrong.. I think a look that would better resemble looking down upon the wall from above would be a bit more suitable.
Also, I think that, while its good to have alot of focus on the lands around the castle/fortress/whatever it is, you could add a some more territories within the castle/fortess/whatever. Not alot, just a few. Because it seems to me that that would be the most important part of this map.

Thats all i've got right now.
Sergeant Evil Pope

Postby DiM on Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:14 pm

i was planning in doing a fortress map after i finish with the ones i started but since you came up with the same idea i might as well give you some info on what i was planning.

here is the image i planned to use. don't mind the perspective i wanted a top-down view.
so the key and center point of the map would be the fortress

in front and on the flanks battalions of troops trebuchetes and so on. in the back of the castle a mountain with a cave that connect to the castle via a tunnel. the sieging army can be split in various territories like (royal pikemen; knights; crossbowmen, etc) and the fortress is also split according to the defensive armies it has ( archers swordsmen, etc) also the fortress has several other territories (look at the image)

i also wanted to add some other things but couldn't because the current xml sistem is not permissive enough, like ranged attack for trebuchetes, moat as an impassable border that can be destroyed becoming a normal border, etc.

“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Guiscard on Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:40 pm

What do you mean b ranged attack for trebuchetes?
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby DiM on Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:44 pm

Guiscard wrote:What do you mean b ranged attack for trebuchetes?

it's a very nifty thing i wanted to implement and will do it in a future map but not exactlt as i want it.

lets say you have territory A <-> B <-> C and they connect like the arrows show (so no connection between A and C)

what i want is territory A to atack territory C (one way) this is possible. but not conquer it. allways stop when C is at 1. (this is not possible) the best use is for strategic defence points. :wink:
Major DiM

Postby mibi on Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:51 pm

ok the colors are darkened and the bonues are changed because the Great Hall is now three territories. I can split the ward in two i suppose.

i dont think ranged attacks are going to make it into this one.

Last edited by mibi on Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain mibi

Postby Guiscard on Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:55 pm

Maybe this could be the map to try out shields for army circles...

Just a thought.

Other than that, looks promising. Got more potential than most maps popping up at the moment. Graphics are plain and simple, ready to be developed into a nice map.

Keep up the good work :D

As for advise, I'd lighten the colours up a bit more... Also get rid of the four way corner in the wall...
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.

Postby Jack0827 on Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:56 pm

great idea keep it up
Private Jack0827

Postby Gozar on Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:05 pm

Shields for army circles would be neat!
I like the new colours. 8)
5 bonus for the hall seems high...maybe lower to 4 as there is no real incentive for a person to capture the tunnel.
If you split the ward you could do a left ward/right ward with the middle territories "shared" a la the space stations on the space map.

Keep it up!
Gozar
Lieutenant Gozar

Postby Gozar on Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:11 pm

Maybe put some impassable barricades in.
The forest has 6 bordering territories and only a bonus of 3 etc...

Just throwing it out there.
Gozar
Lieutenant Gozar

Postby mibi on Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:19 pm

i split the wards in half, lightened the colors, 55 territories.

Last edited by mibi on Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain mibi

Postby Guiscard on Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:35 pm

55 is a bad number... perhaps try and bump it up to 60??? That makes it more divisible by the different numbers of players without leaving neutral territories.

Postby Samus on Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:37 pm

Okay, here's what I see that could make this some unique gameplay.

The walls should be merged into 2 outer walls and 1 inner wall. The walls themselves are worth nothing on their own, but as with a real castle, they are essential for holding your defenses.

For the outer walls, I say eliminate the bridges as independent territories, but connect each section of wall directly to all of the neighboring territories. This really gives it the feel of "fending off attacks from outside the castle." And as with a real castle, you will be somewhat afraid to venture outside the walls because it will drastically increase your exposure.

For the Great Hall and inner wall, I think if you're going to make it +5 it needs to be 4 territories, 3 of which connect to the inner wall and 1 still connecting to the tunnels. Once again, holding the inner wall is key to holding the Great Hall.

You'd need to merge the Ward back into one again, and I'd consider adding another layer to the castle as well (making for 1 inner wall, 2 middle walls, and 2 outer walls + the gate). Obviously this would require making the actual castle portion of the map bigger, but I think that should be the focus anyway.
Major Samus

Postby mibi on Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:16 pm

"Okay, here's what I see that could make this some unique gameplay.

For the outer walls, I say eliminate the bridges as independent territories, but connect each section of wall directly to all of the neighboring territories. This really gives it the feel of "fending off attacks from outside the castle." And as with a real castle, you will be somewhat afraid to venture outside the walls because it will drastically increase your exposure.

For the Great Hall and inner wall, I think if you're going to make it +5 it needs to be 4 territories, 3 of which connect to the inner wall and 1 still connecting to the tunnels. Once again, holding the inner wall is key to holding the Great Hall."

i took out the bridges, i think that will work better, more strategy in how the walls are defended. I just hope that people would defend them so they dont become a long porous border. I've also made the gate one territory which works because it leads directly inside the wall in one move. I dont think the bonus will make much of a difference since it borders 7 territories, but i could drop it down to 1 or 0.

also the great the great hall is a bit different, 4 territories now

Image[/i]
Last edited by mibi on Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain mibi

Postby mibi on Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:38 pm

ok, i added one mroe wall territories and made the two walls next the gate cannot be taken from outside the wall, kind of like a tower. the other walls can be breached, 54 total territories.

Last edited by mibi on Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain mibi

Postby DiM on Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:28 am

could you please stop posting the image only in the first post? it's really hard to come here read what's going on, switch to the map, compare, come again here, the switch to the map and so on. post on the first post if you want but also put it in other posts. :wink:
Major DiM

Postby mibi on Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:58 am

DiM wrote:could you please stop posting the image only in the first post? it's really hard to come here read what's going on, switch to the map, compare, come again here, the switch to the map and so on. post on the first post if you want but also put it in other posts. :wink:

fixed!
Captain mibi

Next

Return to The Atlas