Conquer Club

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:52 pm

DiM wrote:i see not many people are venturing in the tech 1 so i'm thinking maybe it would be worth lowering those neutrals to just 1 on both levels of tech 1.
in a fog game there's the risk of showing the opponent what type of base you have as well as clearing the neutrals for him if he has the same base as you. that's why people are too scared of the neutral 2s and 3s. maybe if the neutrals are lowered to 1 the possibility of getting a quick bonus will outweigh the risks and people will actually go for tech 1.

Sounds good. Updated:

AllYourXMLAreBelongToSully5.xml
(47.78 KiB) Downloaded 573 times

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby lostatlimbo on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:40 pm

DiM wrote:i see not many people are venturing in the tech 1 so i'm thinking maybe it would be worth lowering those neutrals to just 1 on both levels of tech 1.
in a fog game there's the risk of showing the opponent what type of base you have as well as clearing the neutrals for him if he has the same base as you. that's why people are too scared of the neutral 2s and 3s. maybe if the neutrals are lowered to 1 the possibility of getting a quick bonus will outweigh the risks and people will actually go for tech 1.

I don't know. I use them sometimes, especially if my opponent has left a lot of "civilian" terits open (1 troop only). I also find it useful because you start with a good chunk of troops on your home base. If I cannot easily access a nuke or dna lab and the dice are good, I'll go for the pair on the first turn.

Yes, it does give away your location, but it can also be good bait to see your opponent's. (Like leaving 1 troop up top, see if they bite).

I think neutral 2 on each would be best. 1 and 1 seems a little too easy to me.

$.02
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:06 pm

lostatlimbo wrote:

I don't know. I use them sometimes, especially if my opponent has left a lot of "civilian" terits open (1 troop only). I also find it useful because you start with a good chunk of troops on your home base. If I cannot easily access a nuke or dna lab and the dice are good, I'll go for the pair on the first turn.

Yes, it does give away your location, but it can also be good bait to see your opponent's. (Like leaving 1 troop up top, see if they bite).

I think neutral 2 on each would be best. 1 and 1 seems a little too easy to me.

$.02

Well, we can see how it plays out :)

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:19 am

So, I can send this one to the turtle?

Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:30 am

yep.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:35 am

OK, sent. :)

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:51 am

thenobodies80 wrote:So, I can send this one to the turtle?

I'm so clever :P

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby ferrisk on Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:50 am

I had a quick question on game play for this map, not sure if thsi is the right place for it.

The map indicated that if you hold an alien base and all nuke silos, those are victory conditions, however, in a game we are in the process of, I had those (streched myself a bit thint o do it), and subsequently lost my base and was eliminated.

just looking for some clarification. I like the map, lots of things to consider during gameplay. Thanks for your hard work.
Private 1st Class ferrisk

Postby DiM on Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:23 am

ferrisk wrote:I had a quick question on game play for this map, not sure if thsi is the right place for it.

The map indicated that if you hold an alien base and all nuke silos, those are victory conditions, however, in a game we are in the process of, I had those (streched myself a bit thint o do it), and subsequently lost my base and was eliminated.

just looking for some clarification. I like the map, lots of things to consider during gameplay. Thanks for your hard work.

the objectives need to be held for 1 round to win. this is the same on all maps that have an objective.
in your case, hold alien base, get all the nukes and when you start your next turn, if you still have them you win.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:26 am

Question: Use "capture and hold" or "take and hold" instead of just "hold" could help to clarify?

Postby DiM on Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:40 am

thenobodies80 wrote:Question: Use "capture and hold" or "take and hold" instead of just "hold" could help to clarify?

the fact that you have to hold also implies capturing/taking so what you suggest won't help to clarify.

perhaps saying "hold for 1 turn" would do the trick but since this applies to all objectives i guess it's supposed to be explained somewhere on the site along with how other various mechanics work (like nuclear spoils).
Major DiM

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:43 am

Yeah it's explained on instructions --> http://www.conquerclub.com/public.php?m ... tructions6 (that no one reads)
I ask just because I fear the mess we had with the pelo map for a very similar reason. O:)

Anyway use "hold for 1 turn" sounds also good even if I agree with you about the fact hold implies you have to take them

Postby ferrisk on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:48 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, and yes, I'm one of those that hadn't read those instructions, (or realize they exist).
Private 1st Class ferrisk

Postby s3xt0y on Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:51 pm

tech level one should have at least 1 territ with two...you can almost take the whole thing in turn 1....really makes the map a lot easier

Another thing, I played a team game the other day where my team was on aliens so three of us, and the other team had two humans and 1 alien. This really makes the game one sided...there is no way to attack tech lvl 1 so the human team got two techs bonus's each and supplied their alien team mate to prevent us from taking and holding our tech bonus's. I think in team games, it should either be the whole team is on one side or each team must have guys on each side. I dont know if this can be coded but it should be.
Sergeant 1st Class s3xt0y

Postby DiM on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:47 pm

s3xt0y wrote:tech level one should have at least 1 territ with two...you can almost take the whole thing in turn 1....really makes the map a lot easier

what do you say sully?
maybe up tech 1 lvl 2 to to neutrals and leave tech 1 lvl 1 to 1 neutral?

s3xt0y wrote:Another thing, I played a team game the other day where my team was on aliens so three of us, and the other team had two humans and 1 alien. This really makes the game one sided...there is no way to attack tech lvl 1 so the human team got two techs bonus's each and supplied their alien team mate to prevent us from taking and holding our tech bonus's. I think in team games, it should either be the whole team is on one side or each team must have guys on each side. I dont know if this can be coded but it should be.

i don't think it's possible to code such a thing for team games.
Major DiM

Postby s3xt0y on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:01 am

So its not possible to put teams on opposing sides :( boo

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:04 am

DiM wrote:
s3xt0y wrote:tech level one should have at least 1 territ with two...you can almost take the whole thing in turn 1....really makes the map a lot easier

what do you say sully?
maybe up tech 1 lvl 2 to to neutrals and leave tech 1 lvl 1 to 1 neutral?

I can do that. I'll lump it in with another update once we get more feedback on the other neutrals.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Jippd on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:00 am

Tech level 1 being all 1s is no bueno. First turn 1 v 1 if they start opposite sides can be deploying 8 by round two..i just did it haha.
Major Jippd

Postby s3xt0y on Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:16 am

The last set of neutrals worked better because people could use different strategies... With this set you almost have to stack you base then attack once you big enough.

Postby Jippd on Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:49 pm

I don't have time to read through 30 pages of logs, but I will voice my opinion even if this has been said before. I've always wondered why players don't start on opposite bases. 1 v 1 not a big deal, but playing a dubs game 10233168 and here we are three on the humans one on the aliens. The team with the aliens, especially with the tech level being all ones will have a huge bonus we can't hit...because it would require going through 17 neutrals to be able to hit alien tech level one...kinda makes the game dubs a lot about the lucky drop.

I think it would be better if each team got an equal amount...ie singles 1 human 1 alien....dubs each team has 1 human 1 alien....trips each team has 1 human 1 alien then the third can be random generated...quads each team has 2 humans 2 aliens
Major Jippd

Postby DiM on Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:03 pm

i don't think it is possible to code this in the current xml.
sully might know better.
Major DiM

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:30 pm

DiM is right. The current XML doesn't allow for assigned starting positions. I could theoretically up the starting position max to 2, but then the same issue would occur in 1v1s.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby s3xt0y on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:01 pm

Could you make it so 1v1's started with 4 bases, 2v2's 2 bases, 3v3's 1 base and 4v4's 1 base. It wouldn't alleviate the problem, but it would make your chances a little better.

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:11 pm

I could, though I feel like it might hinder 1v1s. We can always give it a try, I suppose.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas