Conquer Club

Kingdom of Denmark [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Denmark map draft

Postby Flapcake on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:38 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Click image to enlarge.

I am really impressed with how you've come along with your map Flapcake. :)
1. I like bridges... a little different from what we've seem previously
2. it is looking quite clear and for me the sea texture looks good also.
3. try to give your bonus legend a Danish flavour / design...i like the Queen added for Royal Touch (but where are Mary and Frederick LOL)
4. You have two four-way borders around Nyborg and Ringsted...they will have to be resolved somehow as they are a no-no and only confuse people.
Encouragement! :)

Thanks for your nice words, but I would now like to share the glory with isaiah40 who helped me getting there :P
The limits are moved around a bit to make room for troop spots, and I also thought that it was probably a little too much :D
Frederic and Mary have 4 children now so there will be no room for them he he :D

New update comming up very soon, i have added troop spots and territory names, i just think it gets a littel densely packed
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:40 pm

Don't worry about the army circles, as I really don't think you will need them on this. Besides, it won't be as cluttered.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Flapcake on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:48 pm

isaiah40 wrote:Don't worry about the army circles, as I really don't think you will need them on this. Besides, it won't be as cluttered.

ok, but i already done them, i show it on next update ;)

Postby natty dread on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:10 am

No army circles. They're so last season.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Flapcake on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:31 am

He he ok, this is my first season :roll:

Postby Flapcake on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:34 am

Now I have a new update.
New:
Legend has bonus bord now.
All territories are named.
Fairways/atack route
Shadows are adapted/corrected.
Colors are adjusted.

I excluded the troop circles as I can see that it will get the map to flicker and confuses people.
I have adjusted the colors so they do not get troop numbers to float along with the Territory colors.

that's it for now 8-)

Click image to enlarge.

Postby ironsij0287 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:21 pm

This is really coming along well. However your current draft is 840x840. Can you scale it to 840x800 which is the max dimensions for large maps?
Sergeant 1st Class ironsij0287

Postby Flapcake on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:44 pm

ironsij0287 wrote:This is really coming along well. However your current draft is 840x840. Can you scale it to 840x800 which is the max dimensions for large maps?

no problem, the map actually looks better in 840x800 as it gives the landscape closer to the right proportions. it also smooths it all better.

this map is 840x800

Click image to enlarge.

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:29 pm

Looks good. What we need for you to do now is keep the first post updated with each update you do. Also change the title to reflect the new update like this Denmark v5 [25 Aug 2011] pg4. This will helps everyone out by telling them what version, the latest update date, and what page the new version is on.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby gimil on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:23 am

Hi Flapcake,

Ii am finding that the graphics on your map are not quite coming together yet. Their is no consistent theme. However as a new map maker I am encouraged with your rate of development from your first draft to this current one. You are showing potential as a mapmaker, you just need to refine skills and artistic eye. And judging by you current development rate this shouldn't be a problem.

usually with map makers as new as yourself who are refining their skills I find it better to 'restart' a map than try to patch over the issues during your learning curve of map making. That would be my advice again here. However if you really don't want to restart the whole map, then I suggest this. Concentrate on making your map consistent around the graphics of the actual map area. This is by far your strongest aspect in this map. The background, legends, clip art etc don't really fit with this.

You get what I am saying?

Keep up the good work though!

gimil
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Flapcake on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:46 am

gimil wrote:Hi Flapcake,

Ii am finding that the graphics on your map are not quite coming together yet. Their is no consistent theme. However as a new map maker I am encouraged with your rate of development from your first draft to this current one. You are showing potential as a mapmaker, you just need to refine skills and artistic eye. And judging by you current development rate this shouldn't be a problem.

usually with map makers as new as yourself who are refining their skills I find it better to 'restart' a map than try to patch over the issues during your learning curve of map making. That would be my advice again here. However if you really don't want to restart the whole map, then I suggest this. Concentrate on making your map consistent around the graphics of the actual map area. This is by far your strongest aspect in this map. The background, legends, clip art etc don't really fit with this.

You get what I am saying?

Keep up the good work though!

gimil

Hi Gimil, thanks for your input.

I just do not quite understand why there should be a "consistent theme" ? there's plenty maps to play here on CC that do not have a theme, and yes there are indeed many who have one, but thats also what makes it is fun to find games here on CC, all people are different and the diversity of maps makes something for everyone here at CC, if all maps in terms of visuals and thematic content resembled each other here at CC, I do not think it would be the same success.

But I understand what you say, and there is a nother draft of more to come. Constructive criticism is always good, it has been noted :wink:

Flapcake

Re: Denmark v6 [26 Aug 2011] pg4.

Postby natty dread on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:55 am

Flapcake wrote:I just do not quite understand why there should be a XXX? there's plenty maps to play here on CC that do not have a XXX

I took the liberty of modifying that quote... since you can actually put any map-related word in place of XXX there, and my response will still be valid...

There are maps on CC that have been made in the past, when the foundry was young and the standards for mapmaking were more lax. You shouldn't measure your work against old CC maps. Today, a consistent theme is considered important in a map. The older maps fall upon the "grandfather clause", ie. they didn't know better way back then, but today we do... so you don't have any reason not to make your map the best you possibly can.

Postby gimil on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:57 am

Flapcake,

I use the term theme loosly. What I really meant was that your graphical consistency isn't quite there. Parts of your map do no fit together quite right.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Flapcake on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:17 am

natty_dread wrote:
Flapcake wrote:I just do not quite understand why there should be a XXX? there's plenty maps to play here on CC that do not have a XXX

I took the liberty of modifying that quote... since you can actually put any map-related word in place of XXX there, and my response will still be valid...

There are maps on CC that have been made in the past, when the foundry was young and the standards for mapmaking were more lax. You shouldn't measure your work against old CC maps. Today, a consistent theme is considered important in a map. The older maps fall upon the "grandfather clause", ie. they didn't know better way back then, but today we do... so you don't have any reason not to make your map the best you possibly can.

still thats what makes CC maps/games versatile, old, new, doesn't matter, the maps can still be fun to play. Besides some of lates beta maps got no theme, they just country maps like mine.
My intentions are obvious to do the best I can to make this map

Postby natty dread on Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:08 am

Hmm, maybe you're misunderstanding what is meant by a theme.

What it means in this context is that your map has a consistent motif for the graphics, that all the graphical elements of your map (land, legend, text, etc) look like they belong together.

A country map can have a theme, and many do. Look at the Africa map... even though it is subpar graphically, it has a consistent theme. Macedonia is also a good example, Austro-Hungarian empire is another...

Postby Flapcake on Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:38 am

natty_dread wrote:Hmm, maybe you're misunderstanding what is meant by a theme.

What it means in this context is that your map has a consistent motif for the graphics, that all the graphical elements of your map (land, legend, text, etc) look like they belong together.

A country map can have a theme, and many do. Look at the Africa map... even though it is subpar graphically, it has a consistent theme. Macedonia is also a good example, Austro-Hungarian empire is another...

yes you're right, I think that maybe it is some language barriers, theme in Danish means that something has a touch of something, eg. the theme could on my map of Denmark being Halloween and the map would then bear the imprint of ghosts and death.
I've also been looking at your London map (which looks really good) and in Danish, I would say that it has a continuous style / line, and if it can be described as a theme, I then understand what is meant by "continuous theme"

My english is poor, sry for that :oops:

Postby natty dread on Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:15 am

No worries, english isn't my 1st language either.

But you seem to be getting what is meant here... you don't have to get the graphics to be awesome right now, it's better to focus more on the gameplay on the early stages... however, for future reference, I think most problematic on your map, thematically, is that the legend and title don't quite seem to fit with the rest of the map. Also I still dislike the sea texture, but if others like it, maybe it's just me...

Keep up the good work though.

Re: Denmark v7 [27 Aug 2011] pg5.

Postby Gillipig on Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:37 pm

So far my only problem with this map is that if it gets done there will be two Nordic countries that has it's own map before Sweden :x ! Which makes no sense because we're the biggest country both in inhabitants and area. But apart from that I support the idea :) .
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby QoH on Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:44 pm

I'd suggest that you add in grey area of where Denmark connects to Germany. Right now it looks like ti's floating in the ocean.
Please don't invite me to any pickup games. I will decline the invite.
Major QoH

Postby Flapcake on Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:03 pm

Gillipig wrote:So far my only problem with this map is that if it gets done there will be two Nordic countries that has it's own map before Sweden :x ! Which makes no sense because we're the biggest country both in inhabitants and area. But apart from that I support the idea :) .

Now the fact is that Denmark has put everything into account for Norway and Sweden, Norway was under Danish rule for many centuries, and Sweden were next pushed right up to Finland, and our language is from the Vikings (it was also us, Vikings) who you has unsuccessfully tried to copy, half England and Germany was devastated by the Vikings, they discovered America 500 years before columbus, Faroe Islands, Greenland to the west Indian islands, etc. etc. I am proud to be a Dane. hehe im only kidding :lol:
but we love our Swedish and Norwegian brothers and we have a strong unity in the north :P
Last edited by Flapcake on Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Flapcake on Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:06 pm

QoH wrote:I'd suggest that you add in grey area of where Denmark connects to Germany. Right now it looks like ti's floating in the ocean.

yes I think you're right, I just tryed if it could work that way

Postby Gillipig on Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:35 pm

Flapcake wrote:and our language is from the Vikings (it was also us, Vikings) who you has unsuccessfully tried to copy, half England and Germany was devastated by the Vikings, they discovered America 500 years before columbus, Faroe Islands, Greenland to the west Indian islands, etc. etc.

I think you should read up on your viking knowledge quite a bit my friend. The term viking is not exclusive to Danes! There was Norwegian, Swedish and Danish vikings. The Norwegian vikings primarily focused on Iceland, Greenland, new Newfoundland and the British Isles. Swedish vikings focused on Finland, Baltic states, Russia, Ukraine and went down to the black and Caspian seas. The Danish vikings focused on Germany, France, British isles and Spain. I don't know what the schools teach you about the viking age in Denmark but if they say that vikings refers to only Danes then your school system is almost as crappy as ours!
This is a map highlighting where the vikings build their settlements and raided/traded. The dark red part of the map is the area where we say the vikings originated from and as you can see it covers far from only danish territory!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Flapcake on Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:07 pm

Gillipig wrote:
Flapcake wrote:and our language is from the Vikings (it was also us, Vikings) who you has unsuccessfully tried to copy, half England and Germany was devastated by the Vikings, they discovered America 500 years before columbus, Faroe Islands, Greenland to the west Indian islands, etc. etc.

I think you should read up on your viking knowledge quite a bit my friend. The term viking is not exclusive to Danes! There was Norwegian, Swedish and Danish vikings. The Norwegian vikings primarily focused on Iceland, Greenland, new Newfoundland and the British Isles. Swedish vikings focused on Finland, Baltic states, Russia, Ukraine and went down to the black and Caspian seas. The Danish vikings focused on Germany, France, British isles and Spain. I don't know what the schools teach you about the viking age in Denmark but if they say that vikings refers to only Danes then your school system is almost as crappy as ours!
This is a map highlighting where the vikings build their settlements and raided/traded. The dark red part of the map is the area where we say the vikings originated from and as you can see it covers far from only danish territory!

take it easy, it was a joke, but greate idea for a map you got there 8-)
Last edited by Flapcake on Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby The Bison King on Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:13 pm

This is starting to look really good, I'm going to go ahead and give this a sticky. Can you do me a favor and please post the most recent version into the original post.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Flapcake on Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:44 am

The Bison King wrote:This is starting to look really good, I'm going to go ahead and give this a sticky. Can you do me a favor and please post the most recent version into the original post.

New update: on PG 1. V9 - 28/08-2011

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas