Conquer Club

Kingdom of Denmark [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Denmark v16 [03 Sep 2011] pg7

Postby Flapcake on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:22 am

cairnswk wrote:
Flapcake wrote:...
For bridges, I also liked them, but there was actually no other than you who thought they were cool.
Maybe they could find their way back, let's see ;)

If you like something in your map, then don't be frightened to stick up for it, and justify for its inclusion.
You don't have to please everybody 100% of the time. The objective is for the elements of the map to tie together, and that is part of the graphics challenge.
Remember this is your map :)

Thanks. yep its impossible to make every one happy.
The bridges are like in 3D and it dont looke so good when they facing up wards or nerly upside down, so in my next update i have inserted only those places where they are seen from the side, and kept dotted lines for longer travel rutes, and natural bridges for vertical rutes.

im realy strugling for the royal touch, thes simply not enough space :( so it probably will be enough just by the Danish theme
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Re: Denmark v17 [04 Sep 2011] pg7

Postby Flapcake on Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:05 am

New:
passable illustrations, royal touch :-P , improved bridges

Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by Flapcake on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Seamus76 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:35 am

Looking very nice, you've come a long way. Couple of things for me, the legend names should all line up, they're a little out of whack. Should be an easy fix. Also, you only have one type of impassable at the moment, should it possibly read singular not plural, maybe? Keep up the good work.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby MarshalNey on Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:30 am

Cairns was right about keeping the royal flavor to the map, it's a 100 times better with it. Keep the queen in for good I say ;)

Your bonus structure looks alright. I'm not a huge fan of the +1 autodeploy for the cities- I think the victory condition is enough- but nothing looks seriously amiss.

If you can, please post the # of regions that each player will drop for each type of game in your first post (2 & 3 player games, 4 player games, 5 player games, 6 player games, 7 player games and 8 player games). Also, if there are any starting neutrals please put that in your first post as well.

Looking good,

Marshal Ney
Captain MarshalNey

Postby Flapcake on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:16 am

Seamus76 wrote:Looking very nice, you've come a long way. Couple of things for me, the legend names should all line up, they're a little out of whack. Should be an easy fix. Also, you only have one type of impassable at the moment, should it possibly read singular not plural, maybe? Keep up the good work.

Hi Seamus, thanks for your comment, yes the legend names was out of order, some times it goes a littel fast #-o , but its corrected now.

Atm there wille be no more impassables, it depend on how the gameplay come along.

Postby Flapcake on Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:01 am

MarshalNey wrote:Cairns was right about keeping the royal flavor to the map, it's a 100 times better with it. Keep the queen in for good I say ;)

Your bonus structure looks alright. I'm not a huge fan of the +1 autodeploy for the cities- I think the victory condition is enough- but nothing looks seriously amiss.

If you can, please post the # of regions that each player will drop for each type of game in your first post (2 & 3 player games, 4 player games, 5 player games, 6 player games, 7 player games and 8 player games). Also, if there are any starting neutrals please put that in your first post as well.

Looking good,

Marshal Ney

Hi Marshal.

It seems much more integrated in the picture where the Queen now rests and im realy happy about that.

Regarding autodeploy, then I try to encourage players to go after towns with shields, so that it does not become too easy to stay on a shield, I know it is copied from other games at CC but I thought that it is a cool feature to the game.

About gameplay QoH helping me with the XML element and the troop distribution, am looking forward to see what he comes up with \:D/

Flapcake

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:16 pm

Flapcake wrote:About gameplay QoH helping me with the XML element and the troop distribution, am looking forward to see what he comes up with \:D/

Flapcake

Don't worry about the XML right now. The gameplay will sure to be changed between now and then.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby TaCktiX on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:55 am

I do believe you mean "Shields" (Shilds) and "Attack Ways" (Atack Ways). And this is my personal opinion but I don't think you need any exclamation marks on this map. Periods work just fine, the exclamations sound like you are hyperactively excited.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Flapcake on Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:08 pm

TaCktiX wrote:I do believe you mean "Shields" (Shilds) and "Attack Ways" (Atack Ways). And this is my personal opinion but I don't think you need any exclamation marks on this map. Periods work just fine, the exclamations sound like you are hyperactively excited.

Hi Tacktix

ups a minor typo ](*,) , thanks for your attention, will be corrected as soon as possible.

Postby tokle on Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:50 pm

TaCktiX wrote:I do believe you mean "Shields" (Shilds) and "Attack Ways" (Atack Ways). And this is my personal opinion but I don't think you need any exclamation marks on this map. Periods work just fine, the exclamations sound like you are hyperactively excited.

Possibly no punctuation at all would look better? You don't need the capital S in shields either.

Looking good, though. You're moving impressively quickly along with this one.
Major tokle

Postby QoH on Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:55 pm

tokle wrote:

Possibly no punctuation at all would look better? You don't need the capital S in shields either.

Not even a month has passed!
Please don't invite me to any pickup games. I will decline the invite.
Major QoH

Postby Flapcake on Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:56 pm

QoH wrote:
tokle wrote:

Not even a month has passed!

Thanks for your comment.

I care a lot about making it as perfect as possible but within reasonable limits, I thought that I have had many good and positive advice / comments, which have inspired me to go for the job immediately, and improve the map.

Re: Denmark v18 [05 Sep 2011] pg8

Postby Flapcake on Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:59 pm

Text corrected, bridge pillars sea foam, (for more 3d effect) more visual frendly text at bonus names in legen.

Click image to enlarge.

Postby gimil on Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:11 pm

Hi,

I am wondering if for gameplay purposes that it would be better to exchange your current legends list with a mini-map like Portugal. Since there is so many continents and some have similar colours a mini-map may serve as an easier bonus indicator. Plus, in my opinion I also feel that they look nicer :D. What do you think?

Cheers,
gimil
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:17 pm

Has the map recevied any stamps at all...there are none on the first page.

Also, flapcake...my next move would be to try to tie together all the elements of the bonus and title somehow.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Flapcake on Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:20 pm

gimil wrote:Hi,

I am wondering if for gameplay purposes that it would be better to exchange your current legends list with a mini-map like [url="http://maps.conquerclub.com/Portugal.S.jpg"]Portugal[/url]. Since there is so many continents and some have similar colours a mini-map may serve as an easier bonus indicator. Plus, in my opinion I also feel that they look nicer :D. What do you think?

Cheers,
gimil

Hi Gimil

well i did try that for some versions ago,
but whit some clever advice (dont remember who 8-[ ) i skipped the idea, course some of bonus names are very long and it will be difficoult to squeeze them in :-k
show: ninth draft map since replaced. 28 08 11

Postby Flapcake on Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:23 pm

cairnswk wrote:Has the map recevied any stamps at all...there are none on the first page.

Also, flapcake...my next move would be to try to tie together all the elements of the bonus and title somehow.

yes your rigth, the title and the bonus legen does not match, my brain are melting on that issue.

(bed time for me, 00:30 yarn)

Postby gimil on Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:26 pm

yes, but you can list and colour code that names (again, like Portugal***), rather than place them on the mini map. As a point, remember that identifying the bonuses is a little more important than knowing the name of the continents it belongs to.

***Sorry for the shameless promotion of my own map :P

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Flapcake on Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:37 am

gimil wrote:yes, but you can list and colour code that names (again, like Portugal***), rather than place them on the mini map. As a point, remember that identifying the bonuses is a little more important than knowing the name of the continents it belongs to.

Thats rigth, i was also thinking of, its not everybody that reads so well, wordblindness ect. il come up with something ;)

Flapcake

Postby gimil on Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:40 am

Flapcake wrote:
gimil wrote:yes, but you can list and colour code that names (again, like Portugal***), rather than place them on the mini map. As a point, remember that identifying the bonuses is a little more important than knowing the name of the continents it belongs to.

Thats rigth, i was also thinking of, its not everybody that reads so well, wordblindness ect. il come up with something ;)

Flapcake

I look forward to seeing it.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: Denmark v19 [06 Sep 2011] pg9

Postby Flapcake on Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:23 am

New update: v19 [06 Sep 2011]
Legend (mini map)

This version im realy satisfied about 8)

Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by Flapcake on Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby gimil on Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:18 am

Beautiful mate. Well done.

I think if you stick the map into some kind of box it will help make it look tidy. Right now it looks good, but is floating on top of the map. A nice simply box will put it in its place and make it look tidy.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby natty dread on Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:39 am

I would actually rather suggest a Vancouver-style minimap...

http://maps.conquerclub.com/Vancouver2.L.jpg

The current one works, but it looks sort of messy, you know? All those black lines, and the text sprinkled over willy-nilly...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby gimil on Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:51 am

natty_dread wrote:I would actually rather suggest a Vancouver-style minimap...

http://maps.conquerclub.com/Vancouver2.L.jpg

The current one works, but it looks sort of messy, you know? All those black lines, and the text sprinkled over willy-nilly...

I disagree. The current minimap is messy but with some more refining I think it will work just swell.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Flapcake on Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:21 am

is it too much with the lions? or would a simple black frame be fine?

personally I thought that lions fit the theme and look super cool 8-)

that's all from me today, Flapcake
ps. working on gameplay and XML
Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by Flapcake on Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas