Conquer Club

Kingdom of Denmark [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Denmark map draft

Postby Flapcake on Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:40 pm

isaiah40 wrote:This is looking better. Question. Are you putting everything in separate layers so that you can edit one part of the map instead of the whole map? You're gonna kill me, but the outlines of the map and the bonus regions could be reduced down to 2px. you can keep the territory borders the same. The Queen looks fine where you have her.

Anyways looking forward to your next update.

Edit: If not, I can help you with getting it sorted out so it will be easier for you.

i do use many layers, but i have borders and territorys in same layer ( i know crap) working on 34 layers now, its not that im lazy, but i think its looks nice with 3px borders, thers no doubth where the territorys are, but i wouldent mind if you would take a look at it, in sure i always can learn some thing :P
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby natty dread on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:45 pm

i have borders and territorys in same layer

Unfortunately, that means you're going to have to redo both... territory colours and borders need to be kept on their own layers, otherwise you'll just run into problems later on. It's better to fix it now, early on.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Flapcake on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:50 pm

natty_dread wrote:
i have borders and territorys in same layer

Unfortunately, that means you're going to have to redo both... territory colours and borders need to be kept on their own layers, otherwise you'll just run into problems later on. It's better to fix it now, early on.

i know, it wont be that difficult, i got another version where the borders are in its one layer

Edit: thats it, borders seperated from territorys :D

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:02 am

I forgot to mention flapcake to name each layer, this way you can easily find what you are looking for.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Flapcake on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:19 am

isaiah40 wrote:I forgot to mention flapcake to name each layer, this way you can easily find what you are looking for.

You maby forgot to mention it, but you did name all of your new layes so i just follow your work :P

Postby Flapcake on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:41 am

just to show which direction the map is on the way to, thank you isaiah40 to have pushed it that way, I really thought that it begins to look like something now.

1st Boundaries smoothed
2nd Areas of color adjusted
3rd Legend polished

Things to do:
1 Naming the rest of the areas
2 Troop patches
3 Hmm'll be able to find something more with time.

Click image to enlarge.

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:59 pm

First of all, Dette ser meget bedre! (Hope its close to This looks much better!)

A few things:
1. Swap the colors of Ost jylland and the non playable areas around. Make all the non playable area a darker gray with no inner glow.
2. I don't think the sailing ship fits with the theme, so I think you can remove it.
3. For the territory names a size 12 or 13 font will work the best for readability.
4. For the city banners, do what I showed you on the Coat of arms and the flag, that very slight drop shadow I think will do wonders for them.
5. While we are on drop shadows, I think the bridges need to utilize the drop shadow as well.
6. IMHO, I think the compass can do with the drop shadow. Maybe find a different compass to put in it's place.
7. I think remove that guy in the legend and do something like Bruceswar is doing on Baltic States, here:
You can even copy over the blending from the bonus region so it will be consistent and easy to tell what bonuses are what.

I think this is a long enough list of to-do items to last you the night! :lol: SO we'll be looking forward to your next update.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby natty dread on Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:11 pm

isaiah40 wrote:For the territory names a size 12 or 13 font will work the best for readability.

That depends on the font somewhat. Size 12 on one font is not necessarily the same as size 12 on another.

For territory labels, it's usually good when your lower case letters are around 7-8 pixels high.

Postby Flapcake on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:38 pm

isaiah40 wrote:First of all, Dette ser meget bedre! (Hope its close to This looks much better!)

A few things:
1. Swap the colors of Ost jylland and the non playable areas around. Make all the non playable area a darker gray with no inner glow.
2. I don't think the sailing ship fits with the theme, so I think you can remove it.
3. For the territory names a size 12 or 13 font will work the best for readability.
4. For the city banners, do what I showed you on the Coat of arms and the flag, that very slight drop shadow I think will do wonders for them.
5. While we are on drop shadows, I think the bridges need to utilize the drop shadow as well.
6. IMHO, I think the compass can do with the drop shadow. Maybe find a different compass to put in it's place.
7. I think remove that guy in the legend and do something like Bruceswar is doing on Baltic States, here:
You can even copy over the blending from the bonus region so it will be consistent and easy to tell what bonuses are what.

I think this is a long enough list of to-do items to last you the night! :lol: SO we'll be looking forward to your next update.

He He well yes the list is not that long, its easy to work with the layers now after it got sorted out.
The dude is Tordenskjold, the most famous war hero in danish history 8-) but ok well thers about 500 years between the queen and him ;)
I like the legend from baltic crusade, with a litte modification its could work.

Postby Flapcake on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:50 pm

natty_dread wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:For the territory names a size 12 or 13 font will work the best for readability.

That depends on the font somewhat. Size 12 on one font is not necessarily the same as size 12 on another.

For territory labels, it's usually good when your lower case letters are around 7-8 pixels high.

some of the territorys are not so big, im working for the bedst result rigth now ;)

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:12 am

isaiah40 wrote:7. I think remove that guy in the legend and do something like Bruceswar is doing on Baltic States, here:

I think you may be mixing up your maps, old man, TheBastard and thenobodies are doing Baltic Crusades, Bruceswar is doing Baltic States :lol: ;)

1 point Sully :P

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Bruceswar on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:15 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:7. I think remove that guy in the legend and do something like Bruceswar is doing on Baltic States, here:

I think you may be mixing up your maps, old man, TheBastard and thenobodies are doing Baltic Crusades, Bruceswar is doing Baltic States :lol: ;)

-Sully

This map is getting there. BTW thanks sully.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Flapcake on Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:17 pm

A quick update.
Territories are named.
there are shadows here and there.

Things that are missing.
troop fields.
bonus legend

it was all for today: P

Click image to enlarge.

Postby natty dread on Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:10 pm

Looks good, except for the sea... which looks kinda cheap, like it was done with some standard PS filter. Also, some territory names could be moved a bit to accommodate the army numbers better.

Postby Flapcake on Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:00 pm

natty_dread wrote:Looks good, except for the sea... which looks kinda cheap, like it was done with some standard PS filter. Also, some territory names could be moved a bit to accommodate the army numbers better.

ĀØ is actually, the background (sea) a great picture of the ocean, but given a few times a blur to make it more cartoony, I think it looks very good,

it is still a draft and the names will be adjusted when I make troop spots

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:48 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:

-Sully

I have no idea what you're talking about. Your eyes are playing tricks on you again Sully.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:54 pm

Okay, the banners need the shadow going in the same direction as the coat of arms and picture frame. Here's what you do, select the coat of arms layer and right click, then go down towards the bottom and click on "Copy Layer Style". Then select the banners - select all of them by pressing and holding the CTL key and clicking on each banner layer (as long as you have all the layers open). Then right click and click on "Paste Layer Style". Do this for all the banners, picture frame, and bridges.

Also, what happened to the title!???
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Flapcake on Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:57 pm

the title got twisted, its already corrected :P

il take a look at the shadows, it dont look good :(

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:34 pm

isaiah40 wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:

-Sully

I have no idea what you're talking about. Your eyes are playing tricks on you again Sully.

Curse your modly editing powers! :(

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby cairnswk on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:07 pm

Click image to enlarge.

I am really impressed with how you've come along with your map Flapcake. :)
1. I like bridges... a little different from what we've seem previously
2. it is looking quite clear and for me the sea texture looks good also.
3. try to give your bonus legend a Danish flavour / design...i like the Queen added for Royal Touch (but where are Mary and Frederick LOL)
4. You have two four-way borders around Nyborg and Ringsted...they will have to be resolved somehow as they are a no-no and only confuse people.
Encouragement! :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Flapcake on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:38 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Click image to enlarge.

I am really impressed with how you've come along with your map Flapcake. :)
1. I like bridges... a little different from what we've seem previously
2. it is looking quite clear and for me the sea texture looks good also.
3. try to give your bonus legend a Danish flavour / design...i like the Queen added for Royal Touch (but where are Mary and Frederick LOL)
4. You have two four-way borders around Nyborg and Ringsted...they will have to be resolved somehow as they are a no-no and only confuse people.
Encouragement! :)

Thanks for your nice words, but I would now like to share the glory with isaiah40 who helped me getting there :P
The limits are moved around a bit to make room for troop spots, and I also thought that it was probably a little too much :D
Frederic and Mary have 4 children now so there will be no room for them he he :D

New update comming up very soon, i have added troop spots and territory names, i just think it gets a littel densely packed

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:40 pm

Don't worry about the army circles, as I really don't think you will need them on this. Besides, it won't be as cluttered.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Flapcake on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:48 pm

isaiah40 wrote:Don't worry about the army circles, as I really don't think you will need them on this. Besides, it won't be as cluttered.

ok, but i already done them, i show it on next update ;)

Postby natty dread on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:10 am

No army circles. They're so last season.

Postby Flapcake on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:31 am

He he ok, this is my first season :roll:

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas