Conquer Club

Trench warfare 1917 [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Trench warfare 1914-1917 V2 [02 10 11] pg.1

Postby Flapcake on Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:38 am

koontz1973 wrote:
jeraado wrote:- The airforce was mainly used in trench warfare for artillery spotting. Not sure if it is possible to code, but rather than attacking tanks, you could use the airforces to either allow artillery to bombard other artillery, or to prevent opposition artillery from bombarding (if someone held all airforce terts/aerial supremacy)

Great idea but I will take it one step further.

Step one - add cannon to both sides. Cannot fire on anything but can attack same sides plane.
Normal territ starting neutral (say 2 for now)
Step two - from the plane, give it the ability to bombard all of the enemy's front lines.
Killer neutral set at 1 or 2.

This gives the appearance of a more natural war setting of having the planes spotting for the gunners. The killer neutral allows for being shot down.

Having the canon on both sides might negate having the tanks but have a play around.

That sounds interesting, as it is now planes can be shot down only when attacked from bases right around them, maby a machingun-nest shooting at first line No man land and aircraft
Last edited by Flapcake on Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby jeraado on Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:38 am

Flapcake wrote:
jeraado wrote:I hope you'll forgive my many suggestions (this is my first time giving map feedback), but I think this could be a really interesting map and this prompted lots of thoughts.

May I suggest:
- As already suggested, add the imperial Austro-hungarian flag
- Removing the symmetry between the Allied and German trenches. Since both sides had different strategies in trench formation, it would be interesting to see on a map, and may provide some different strategic challenges. Since players will probably receive terts on both sides of the map it shouldn't give anyone an unfair advantage, and you could balance the bonuses without making them identical
- Artillery and mortars were pretty much the key to trench warfare. You could add these in to bombard perhaps no-mans-land and the front lines.
- You could also add machine guns to target specific terts
- As it stands, it looks like making a break over no-mans-land is really the only way to go between the lines. You could add a flanking movement which could bypass the bombardments to provide another option for travelling between the lines
- The airforce was mainly used in trench warfare for artillery spotting. Not sure if it is possible to code, but rather than attacking tanks, you could use the airforces to either allow artillery to bombard other artillery, or to prevent opposition artillery from bombarding (if someone held all airforce terts/aerial supremacy)
- Have you considered adding troop decay somewhere? To me a trench warfare map just screams out for that, either representing the disease and conditions on the front-lines or the destruction in no-man's-land

Also, and I apologise for this in advance, have you considered realigning the map so that the combatants are to the left and right, rather than top and bottom? This would better signify the geographic location of trench warfare along the franco-german lines.

I know a lot of my suggestions seem to focus on other features rather than the actual trenches, but I think that if you want to capture the feel of trench warfare in this map, it's really all about creating plenty of opportunities for destruction (bombardment), but ultimately the need for a brave but very costly break across no-mans-land to finish off the enemy. One last thought - when it comes to decorating the map remember that often the focus of these battles were around small landmarks, such as hills or buildings. They may have wound up heavily shelled, but it wouldn't be unreasonable for you to have some creative license in order to make it look as interesting a possible.

Hi Jeraado
I think my main idea was a specifik battle, like The Battle of the Marne 1914 (Englang+France vs. germany) maby I change the title :D
the map are in the remodeled stage and who knows where it ends, about the atack direction, I like the way it is now bedst, it gives a more atack forward and defence in a cornor feeling, rater than from side to side (ping pong) :lol:
The airforce was also used to drop bombs by hand on tanks and at atack over no man land, they had machinguns for air battle.
Lets se where this baby goes, Im always happy for info and suggstions for insperation.

I can understand if you take some liberties for gameplay purposes. However from a historical standpoint, WW1 bombers generally didn't carry a large enough payload to be effective against tanks. WW1 bombing was generally focussed on supply lines, while tanks were generally stopped by anti-tank infantry (rifles or grenades) and (far more commonly) simply reliability and terrain.
Cadet jeraado

Postby tokle on Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:09 pm

jeraado wrote:- Artillery and mortars were pretty much the key to trench warfare. You could add these in to bombard perhaps no-mans-land and the front lines.

I agree with this. Artillery was always the main factor in trench warfare. Tanks and planes were insignificant. Tanks only became useful at the end of the war, and when they did they pretty quickly made the trenches obsolete.

jeraado wrote:Also, and I apologise for this in advance, have you considered realigning the map so that the combatants are to the left and right, rather than top and bottom? This would better signify the geographic location of trench warfare along the franco-german lines.

The trenches would just as easily be aligned in an east-west axis as a north-south one. The front line in France as a whole was aligned more towards an east-west axis.
Click image to enlarge.
ImageImage
Major tokle

Postby Flapcake on Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:33 am

Thanks for good advise and ideas, many of them are being considered and some implanted. atm Im working on a different look where the figthing take place down in the trenches and not the land inside them

Postby firsal901 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:46 am

1. I thought of a WWI map, kinda like this. :mrgreen:
2. I can think of a few additions, your choice though

1st addition: HQ - every player starts at a HQ, like in feudal. Hold an HQ, or die
2nd - MG nest - bombards no mans land.

Any thoughts????.
Cook firsal901

Re: Trench warfare 1914-1917 V3 [05 10 11] pg.2

Postby Flapcake on Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:31 am

New update 05 10 11.
Trenches are now figthing areas, bonus structure sligtly changed, fox holes added. German side will be same design trenches but diffrend placed for visuel non boring look.

more to come, stay tuned :mrgreen:

Click image to enlarge.

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:42 am

tokle wrote:[
jeraado wrote:Also, and I apologise for this in advance, have you considered realigning the map so that the combatants are to the left and right, rather than top and bottom? This would better signify the geographic location of trench warfare along the franco-german lines.

The trenches would just as easily be aligned in an east-west axis as a north-south one. The front line in France as a whole was aligned more towards an east-west axis.

I like the idea of an east-west orientation.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Flapcake on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:07 am

AndyDufresne wrote:
I like the idea of an east-west orientation.

--Andy

It will only signify the geografiphic location if you see it on a giant map with greate overviev, this map is a small slice, it could be over 2-300 meters, therefor it dosten matter in wich direction you look, I dont like from side to side, it reminds me of pingpong, I like better the feeling of defence back/atack foward better 8-)

Re: Trench warfare 1914-1917 V4 [06 10 11] pg.3

Postby Flapcake on Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:28 pm

Done the German side + loads of ohter stuff :mrgreen:

Click image to enlarge.

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:39 pm

This is looking better Flapcake! Where are the artillery guns on the German side? This is stickied for now. Get them German artillery guns in there and we'll see about getting this moved on!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Flapcake on Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:09 am

isaiah40 wrote:This is looking better Flapcake! Where are the artillery guns on the German side? This is stickied for now. Get them German artillery guns in there and we'll see about getting this moved on!

They Are on its way but the train was delayd 8-)

Re: Trench warfare1917 V5 [08 10 11] pg.3

Postby Flapcake on Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:07 am

Changes:
The Germans guns have arrived 8-)
Dead soldiers in No man land

legend hare a small selection of a poem from ww1

Click image to enlarge.

Postby gimil on Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:24 am

Personally, I don't think you should get a bonus for no mans land. Historically trench warfare was a bitch and millions got shot down between the trenches.

As a matter of opinion I think killer neutrals should be the order or the day in no mans land. If you leave any troops there at the end of your turn, expect to loose them. Just like in reality.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Flapcake on Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:36 am

gimil wrote:Personally, I don't think you should get a bonus for no mans land. Historically trench warfare was a bitch and millions got shot down between the trenches.

As a matter of opinion I think killer neutrals should be the order or the day in no mans land. If you leave any troops there at the end of your turn, expect to loose them. Just like in reality.

Hi Gimil
Thanks for your comment.
I realy like your point of view, and its exactly what I try to find in the No man land, its a horrible undesired place, where you dont want to be, you need to get pass it as quickly as possible, so yes perhabs the bonus should change to neutral 1 after end turn no matter how many troop you have on it.

Postby gimil on Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:53 am

Flapcake wrote:
gimil wrote:Personally, I don't think you should get a bonus for no mans land. Historically trench warfare was a bitch and millions got shot down between the trenches.

Hi Gimil
Thanks for your comment.
I realy like your point of view, and its exactly what I try to find in the No man land, its a horrible undesired place, where you dont want to be, you need to get pass it as quickly as possible, so yes perhabs the bonus should change to neutral 1 after end turn no matter how many troop you have on it.

Yes, if you are going to no mans land you should have enough resources to get across!
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby firsal901 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:39 pm

Agreed
Cook firsal901

Re: Trench warfare1917 V6 [09 10 11] pg.3

Postby Flapcake on Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:44 am

No man´s land bonus structure changed to "All troops converts to 1 Neutral after end turn.
Sheelholes in No man´s land are safe, Sheelholes 1-3-4-6 can hit the nearest Foxhole"

Theme stuff added.

Click image to enlarge.

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:48 am

This is starting to shape up nicely so you can have this!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Flapcake on Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:46 pm

isaiah40 wrote:This is starting to shape up nicely so you can have this!

Thank you Isaiah :D

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:45 am

What on earth do you mean by "converts to 1 neutral" in the legend? Does the one-way attack bombard, is the mentioned territory a killer neutral, what?
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Flapcake on Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:37 am

TaCktiX wrote:What on earth do you mean by "converts to 1 neutral" in the legend? Does the one-way attack bombard, is the mentioned territory a killer neutral, what?

Thank you for your straightforward manner, you've understood it correctly, but maybe you have an alternative suggestion for what else it can be called?

Re: Trench warfare1917 V7 [14 10 11] pg.3

Postby Flapcake on Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:39 am

Added: shadow/dirt at front of trenches in No man land, bomb craters.
Click image to enlarge.

Postby tokle on Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:44 am

Flapcake wrote:
TaCktiX wrote:What on earth do you mean by "converts to 1 neutral" in the legend? Does the one-way attack bombard, is the mentioned territory a killer neutral, what?

Thank you for your straightforward manner, you've understood it correctly, but maybe you have an alternative suggestion for what else it can be called?

I think the standard wording has been "reverts (or resets) to 1 neutral". "Converts" sounds like something religious is going on.
Major tokle

Postby Flapcake on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:35 am

tokle wrote:
Flapcake wrote:

I think the standard wording has been "reverts (or resets) to 1 neutral". "Converts" sounds like something religious is going on.

I agree that "Converts" sounds some religious [-o<
Im open for all suggestions for replacing it 8-) "Reset" sounds good.

Re: Trench warfare1917 V7 [14 10 11] pg.4

Postby Flapcake on Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:35 am

Update: Changes, Legen text now says "resets & reverts"

Click image to enlarge.

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas