Conquer Club

Knights

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: KNIGHTS [6/11] Version 7 Page 1 & 7. Numbers?

Postby natty dread on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:02 pm

thehippo8 wrote:Well Natty, I did ask you to make some suggesstions regarding what you meant about alternates to Koontz' dot suggestion. Seems you are a little intent on being antagonistic. Can I suggest we get back to the issue now? If you have no alternate suggestions then Koontz dot idea seems the best on the table.

I've been making suggestions. I suggested a collection bonus which would work great for this type of map, much better than an undervalued, hard to defend bonus that will practically be useless.

As to whether this map works is fun and gets supporters well ... hay ... that's what Beta is for.

No, that is NOT what beta is for. You are supposed to have a finished map for beta, one that you believe 99% will work. Beta is not a tool to be used to test a map concept. It is only there to iron out any unforeseen flaws your map gameplay/graphics might have.

You might disagree with this, but that's how the foundry works currently. I've long advocated some kind of mechanism to play-test maps before beta, but lackattack doesn't want to implement such, because he doesn't listen to the people who produce content on his site.

But either way, beta-testing is not meant to be some kind of "get out of arguments" card for the gameplay stage. You can't respond to every criticism with "well if it doesn't work I'll change it in beta". That's just not productive, nor is it how the foundry process works.

koontz1973 wrote:If that was the case, games would of stayed the same over the last couple of thousand years. There are many different styles of games with many more copies of those games, but every one of those games is different. Do you get that?

No, it wouldn't. You can still create games that are different and unique, but if they do not work as a game, if they are not fun to play, they will soon be forgotten and no one will play them. That's why all the classic games created throughout the history are games that are fun to play, games that function well as a game. If you can't provide a fun playing experience, it doesn't matter how unique your idea is, no one will play it.

So yeah, the best classic games are fun to play and balanced. We also have games that are pretty much pointless after you figure them out. Take tic-tac-toe, the classic version with 3x3 grid. As a very small kid the game may have some challenge for the first few times, but once you figure it out, every game ends up in a tie. That's why no one plays that game seriously after that, or they enhance the rules (adding a larger grid and requiring more crosses/zeros in a row, or adding more dimensions).

koontz1973 wrote:I see no reason why a larger bonus would benefit the map. The pay off may be small but it is the only pay off available so players will not ignore them. They may take there time, going for them, holding them, using them, but I see no reason why that cannot be a style of game play. Not every map has to have the ability to be finished of in round 3.

I don't see why you equate "larger bonus" with "short games". That's not the reality of CC gameplay. There are many maps that are bonus heavy that can have games last for ages. Take king's court, or lunar war.

And the point is, no one is going to go for those bonuses as they are now. The blue one can be forgotten right out - it's 12 territories with 12 borders. No one will ever hold it unless they have already won the game. Then there are the 3 with 4/4 each. When you consider you have to go through several more territories just to take them all, as the territories are not directly connected thanks to your "knight rule", but the opponent only has to break one territory to break the bonus... they're not worth it.

In any 2-player game, or 2-team team game, as the gameplay stands now... no one would go for the bonuses. Everyone would focus on taking down the enemy, because trying to hold a bonus is just a waste of troops with the current gameplay. They're undefendable. That's just the reality of how 2-player/2-team games are played. Even on regular maps, even relatively small neutrals are ignored in those game types, and no one goes for large bonus areas, because it's much more efficient to focus on killing your opponent.

koontz1973 wrote:All you will get with the +2 for 3 squares is a land grab style of play (same as in Antarctica). Players moving forward as quickly as they can to get as much as they can in the hope that in round 2 they have a larger troop count to play with. That is not the style of GP for this map. This is another reason why the reinforcements will be set at a level of 3 or 5.

No, that's not true. Antarctica is a totally different type of map and there's no comparison between that map and this that you could make. On this map, there's no features that force you to move out, unlike on antarctica. There's no losing condition or decaying territories that force you to constantly push forward. Look at feudal war, which has a collection type bonus... and yet the main strategy for many game types is to sit tight and build stacks.

As for this map... With a collection bonus, like "+2 for every 3 blue squares, +2 for every 3 red squares, +3 for every 3 green squares", you could scatter those coloured squares over the middle area. Then each player would have to strategize how they spend their resources, which squares they go for and how they plan on defending them. You could do many, many strategically interesting things with the placement of those coloured squares alone.

koontz1973 wrote:With the +2 for 3 squares, you get the huge problem of where to put the squares. As all the squares in the centre two rows can be attacked by the front row of knights, you could only put a set number on either side.

But no player starts with a whole row of knights. The starting positions are mixed in the 2 bottom/top rows, are they not?

koontz1973 wrote:it would be very easy to grab one in round one if you make a land grab. Any game that would allow that to happen would be over in round 2 as no one would be able to come back from that.

Nope - if it's that easy to take the bonus (as you think) then it'd be equally easy for the opponent to break it. Easier, even, as to break it the opponent only needs to take one territory, where as to hold it you need to hold 3.

Also, that raises another point: just because you can take a bonus at round 1, doesn't mean you should or that it's a smart move - usually, you shouldn't take bonuses you're unprepared to defend, as it only wastes troops. Unless you're playing a fog game where you can sneak up on bonuses.

I think you're making a good effort to develop good gameplay here, but you have some misconceptions on the game dynamics... the difference on what you think works "on paper" and how it actually plays out in practice can be really jarring, I've seen it happen multiple times - it gets better over time when you get more experience with mapmaking, though.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby natty dread on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:30 pm

natty_dread wrote:But no player starts with a whole row of knights. The starting positions are mixed in the 2 bottom/top rows, are they not?

I see now that you plan to code the "home rows" as starting positions for 2-player games.

Even so, all you need to do is mix up the different colours. The first rows after the starting positions can each have 2 blues + 2 reds, for example, so that you can't directly take a bonus on the first rows on either side. Add in the green squares, and there's just so many possibilities for strategy you can build with them.

Postby thehippo8 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:36 pm

First class response Natty!! You have the best of intentions, and I applaud the efforts you have gone to assist Koontz with this map! As I have said earlier, I am a little biaised and would love to see a chess map happen and believe that this has the kernal of the best of what I have seen on this concept to date. You are right to be considering this as carefully as you have been.

natty_dread wrote:I've long advocated some kind of mechanism to play-test maps before beta, but lackattack doesn't want to implement such, because he doesn't listen to the people who produce content on his site.

I am impressed by this idea. I wonder if any budding programmers out there could delop such a tool? Certainly an idea worth pursuing and would quickly divorce the struggles that map makers would go to in developing good gameplay from the Beta process!
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby natty dread on Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:24 pm

It would be possible to develop such a tool. It'd be simpler, however, for lack to simply grant mapmakers and a select group of other foundry-goers access to the test site and let them upload maps and xml on it for play-testing, on the discretion of the foundry mods, of course.

Since, of course, lackattack already has the code for the game engine, I don't see much point in forcing someone to code it all again from scratch.

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:50 am

Red, 2 dots on each row 3 and 6 or 4 and 5.
Yellow the same
blue he same
Pink the same
All have the bonus as a +2 for any 3.
You can still get the majority of the smaller bonuses in round 1, just by moving the knights from the back rows forward. By placing the deployable troops onto one knight in round 1 and 2, you can move forward and take your third for the bonus in round 2. It would not be unforeseeable to move a knight and take any number of bonus squares and in an unlimited get a few troops on all. It would then come down to the luck of the dice if that can be broken. Round 3 gets you a big bonus, game over. That is what I mean by the land grab players and my desire to stop that. As you say, the blue one is big and can not be taken, so if the four bonus zones where to be made equal, and placed into the centre 2 rows, it becomes easier to be taken.

No, that is NOT what beta is for. You are supposed to have a finished map for beta, one that you believe 99% will work.

I had a finished map that I 99.99999999999999999999999999999999% believed would work.
You might disagree with this, but that's how the foundry works currently. I've long advocated some kind of mechanism to play-test maps before beta

You can still create games that are different and unique,

like this
but if they do not work as a game,

Our opinions differ on if this would work
if they are not fun to play, they will soon be forgotten and no one will play them.

Even crossword has its fans ;) Not many, but it does get played.
I don't see why you equate "larger bonus" with "short games".

It is not that larger bonuses would make for shorter games (and they will as soon as one is taken and held, it is harder to come back from it) I do not want the players to have the idea that bonuses are good and that is what they should be going for. I want the bonuses to be there as a background influence, not a foreground mindset. This is one of the reasons why CM is played, it brings a different style of play to CC. It may not be to everyone's liking, but it is different. Right now the bonuses are there and balanced. The blue is large and can be made the same as the other 3. So all 4 bonuses would have 4 territs in the middle 2 rows for a +2. They need to set as a square so you could not get all for from one or two knights.
In any 2-player game, or 2-team team game, as the gameplay stands now... no one would go for the bonuses. Everyone would focus on taking down the enemy, because trying to hold a bonus is just a waste of troops with the current gameplay.

And finally, we get to the style of GP that I was after. The bonuses are there for the middle to end game. I would expect these games to easily get into the 30+ rounds.
Even on regular maps, even relatively small neutrals are ignored in those game types,

And this map, you need to go through the neutrals. You have no choice.
No, that's not true. Antarctica is a totally different type of map and there's no comparison between that map and this that you could make.

You are right in the sense that these maps are completely different, but for a 1v1 game on Antarctica, the only real option to play is to go for a land grab and get all that you can. With what you are proposing about the bonuses, you will get the same style of play. Grab all you can and hope it sticks.
Nope - if it's that easy to take the bonus (as you think) then it'd be equally easy for the opponent to break it.

Same as above.
Also, that raises another point: just because you can take a bonus at round 1, doesn't mean you should or that it's a smart move - usually, you shouldn't take bonuses you're unprepared to defend, as it only wastes troops. Unless you're playing a fog game where you can sneak up on bonuses.

But you will always get players doing that. And a bonus of what ever number you give it, if you can get it if it is for only one round, is a viable option as it will give you some extra troops. You see this on lots of maps. A player may take a bonus and defend it with only 2 troops at the borders hoping an opponent will either not notice or not break it.
I think you're making a good effort to develop good gameplay here, but you have some misconceptions on the game dynamics... the difference on what you think works "on paper" and how it actually plays out in practice can be really jarring, I've seen it happen multiple times - it gets better over time when you get more experience with mapmaking, though.

Bit condescending here natty. ;) A good map maker will not always give good maps. But I have played nearly 5000 games on this site and many of the board games that are based around this style of games. I have played chess for many many years. I know what should make for an interesting GP. No one is infallible and I could be completely wrong, but that does not mean that I need to pander to peoples opinions.
I see now that you plan to code the "home rows" as starting positions for 2-player games.

Nice of you to get round to reading the GP notes in the first post finally. :lol:
I will move the dots to the centre 2 rows and also rows 3 and 6. We will go from there. But I will keep the values low unless the other numbers change.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby natty dread on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:55 am

Sigh... now you're just being stubborn.

koontz1973 wrote:It is not that larger bonuses would make for shorter games (and they will as soon as one is taken and held, it is harder to come back from it) I do not want the players to have the idea that bonuses are good and that is what they should be going for. I want the bonuses to be there as a background influence, not a foreground mindset. This is one of the reasons why CM is played, it brings a different style of play to CC. It may not be to everyone's liking, but it is different. Right now the bonuses are there and balanced. The blue is large and can be made the same as the other 3. So all 4 bonuses would have 4 territs in the middle 2 rows for a +2. They need to set as a square so you could not get all for from one or two knights.

No, the bonuses are not balanced. They're so outlandishly undervalued that there's no point in going for them.

koontz1973 wrote:And finally, we get to the style of GP that I was after. The bonuses are there for the middle to end game. I would expect these games to easily get into the 30+ rounds.

I know what you're going for here, and I can dig that. But I'm telling you, that will not happen with the current gameplay.

What will happen is this: both players sitting tight, stacking and waiting, since there's no incentive to move out... if you try to take a bonus, your opponent will break it immediately, so it'll likely just result in a stalemate.

Or in other game types, it'll just be a big scramble, with whoever getting the best dice coming out on top.

There needs to be some kind of way for the players to gain a strategic advantage in the beginning, not just in the mid-endgame, otherwise it'll just come down to either stacking or letting the dice decide.

koontz1973 wrote:You are right in the sense that these maps are completely different, but for a 1v1 game on Antarctica, the only real option to play is to go for a land grab and get all that you can. With what you are proposing about the bonuses, you will get the same style of play. Grab all you can and hope it sticks.

No you won't, and I explained why in my last post, which you conveniently chose to ignore.

koontz1973 wrote:But you will always get players doing that. And a bonus of what ever number you give it, if you can get it if it is for only one round, is a viable option as it will give you some extra troops. You see this on lots of maps. A player may take a bonus and defend it with only 2 troops at the borders hoping an opponent will either not notice or not break it.

Sure, but that's bad strategy. Like in escalating game where noobs take bonuses and spend their troops trying to defend them... if the other player(s) don't take advantage of it, then it's their fault for letting it happen.

It's not like it's very hard to notice when your opponent takes a bonus.

koontz1973 wrote:Bit condescending here natty. ;) A good map maker will not always give good maps. But I have played nearly 5000 games on this site and many of the board games that are based around this style of games. I have played chess for many many years. I know what should make for an interesting GP. No one is infallible and I could be completely wrong, but that does not mean that I need to pander to peoples opinions.

No matter how many games you've played, that doesn't necessarily translate to knowing how to create a gameplay. Like you said, you know what should, in your mind, make an interesting GP. And that's a good place to start. You don't need to "pander", but you do need to address all criticism and feedback for your map in a reasonable manner.

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:54 am

Natty, did not ignore your post, must of just missed it. how do you suppose to place the dots then?
Give me some grid numbers.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby natty dread on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:03 am

Sure, give me a sec to come up with something...

Postby natty dread on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:58 am

Ok, I was going to draw some kind of graph, but I'm feeling lazy, so I'll just do this ASCII style.

Code: Select all
. A B C D E F G H
1 . . . . . . . .
2 . . . . . . . .
3 B . R . . R . B
4 . . . G G . . .
5 . . . G G . . .
6 R . B . . B . R
7 . . . . . . . .
8 . . . . . . . .

Ok, with this model, you could get:

+2 for holding 3 B:s, 3 R:s or 3 G:s (so that if you hold 3 of each colour you get +6)
+4 for holding 4 B:s, 4 R:s or 4 G:s (so that... etc)

RGB of course correspond to Red Green & Blue, although you can replace them with whatever colours you like. But this I think is a model that would work for both 2-player games and multiplayer ones, as the gameplay is currently.

Let me elaborate: with this model, you can't get any bonus by just taking colours on the closest 2 rows. You have to take 3 tiles of the same colour to get a +2, so effectually, you have to either take 1 colour in the nearest rows and 2 in the farthest, or vice versa. This gives the opponent in a 2-player game the opportunity to break it since one of the tiles has to be on "his side".

By giving an extra +2 for holding all 4 of the same colours, it gives each colour bonus some growth potential... thus, when you hold all 4 and lose 1 of them, you still get the smaller bonus, so it's much more worthwhile to hold, since it can't be immediately broken with just 1 territory.

We can also expand this model by adding a 4th colour, let's designate it Y for yellow:

Code: Select all
. A B C D E F G H
1 . . . . . . . .
2 . . . . . . . .
3 B . R . . R . B
4 . Y . G G . Y .
5 . Y . G G . Y .
6 R . B . . B . R
7 . . . . . . . .
8 . . . . . . . .

Now this would be better for multiplayer games, as there would be more options when you don't start with entire rows, and it would still keep it ok for 2-player games, as you can't get a bonus by only taking tiles on the closest rows. But I'm not sure if it's strictly necessary, and if it would be overkill to have 4 of these bonuses. The RGB model would probably be sufficient on it's own.

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:08 pm

Even though I am still not convinced that the bonuses are needed, I took nattys advice (thanks) and went with his first option. Perfect for the 1v1 crowd, whith a map like this is more likly to be played this way, and gives the larger games something to fight over. Because of the bonus regions, I have increased the deployable troops to 5. This is the same as the no bonus map and will allow players without a bonus to fight back when needed.
Version 8.
Huge clean up of image.
Moved text around so it is all level.
Changed fonts.
Added the bonus regions.
Made background darker.
Dots lighter.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: KNIGHTS [11/11] Version 8 Page 1 & 7.

Postby natty dread on Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:26 pm

I like it!

Glad we could reach a consensus of some kind.

However, one more nitpick... I liked the version with the coloured rectangles more than the coloured dots. With the dots in the corners of the tiles, it's a bit harder to visualize their locations... the rectangles that go around the tiles are more "centered" and symmetrical. Yes, symmetry is bad for gameplay, but it's good for graphics.

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:40 pm

I like natty's proposed set-ups. Definitely a good way to go. One thing I'm not sure that is a good way to go is the colo(u)red dots, I'm just not feeling them. I think you should try colo(u)ring the entire tile. *shrugs* I think it would just look better IMO.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:08 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:I like natty's proposed set-ups. Definitely a good way to go. One thing I'm not sure that is a good way to go is the colo(u)red dots, I'm just not feeling them. I think you should try colo(u)ring the entire tile. *shrugs* I think it would just look better IMO.

-Sully

What he said.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:54 am

There are a couple of issues with the coloured tiles, and yes, I have tried them.

They bring the bonuses again into the forfront of the game which is not the idea. You got the bloody bonuses, allow me to keep a thread of my original concept. ;)
They look bloody ugly having 12 coloured tiles different from the rest of the map. I know a map of a chess board is stretching the idea of beauty, but placing 12 tiles on it that are different from the rest seems over kill. I will have a go today at a few options.

EDIT. Here are the only options that are available. Not nice, will make nice later.
Dots
Lines
Squares
Cut out squares
Big squares
I like the lines under the numbers. Small enough to be forgotten about but easy enough for players to see bonus squares. A good comprimise I believe.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby thehippo8 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:01 am

koontz1973 wrote:There are a couple of issues with the coloured tiles, and yes, I have tried them.

They bring the bonuses again into the forfront of the game which is not the idea. You got the bloody bonuses, allow me to keep a thread of my original concept. ;)
They look bloody ugly having 12 coloured tiles different from the rest of the map. I know a map of a chess board is stretching the idea of beauty, but placing 12 tiles on it that are different from the rest seems over kill. I will have a go today at a few options.

EDIT. Here are the only options that are available. Not nice, will make nice later.
Dots
Lines
Squares
Cut out squares
Big squares
I like the lines under the numbers. Small enough to be forgotten about but easy enough for players to see bonus squares. A good comprimise I believe.

Brilliant ... I have to agree on this one ... I have mucked about with this issue too but I think the line idea is inspired .. well done Koontz .. clever but subtle!

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:47 am

I think the colored lines under the numbers will do just fine would be vote.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:53 pm

I think what you should do is have the full tile colored, but still have the wood-grain texture and the bevel. That is, make it look like the other tiles, except make it a different color.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:27 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:I think what you should do is have the full tile colored, but still have the wood-grain texture and the bevel. That is, make it look like the other tiles, except make it a different color.

-Sully

You can do this by adding a coloured square on top of the tile on a new layer and setting the new layer on "Colour" mode.

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:50 pm

thehippo8 wrote:Brilliant ... I have to agree on this one ... I have mucked about with this issue too but I think the line idea is inspired .. well done Koontz .. clever but subtle!

isaiah40 wrote:I think the colored lines under the numbers will do just fine would be vote.

And that is the one I am goig with for reasons stated.
Victor Sullivan wrote:I think what you should do is have the full tile colored, but still have the wood-grain texture and the bevel. That is, make it look like the other tiles, except make it a different color.

This does detract from the map way to much. Even with nattys suggestion of putting the layer mode to colour, you get 12 squares that are this different colour to the rest. Obvious to see what they are, but not very nice looking. The lines work best and with them directly under the numbers, it cannot confuse players.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby thehippo8 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:21 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
thehippo8 wrote:Brilliant ... I have to agree on this one ... I have mucked about with this issue too but I think the line idea is inspired .. well done Koontz .. clever but subtle!

isaiah40 wrote:I think the colored lines under the numbers will do just fine would be vote.

And that is the one I am goig with for reasons stated.

This does detract from the map way to much. Even with nattys suggestion of putting the layer mode to colour, you get 12 squares that are this different colour to the rest. Obvious to see what they are, but not very nice looking. The lines work best and with them directly under the numbers, it cannot confuse players.

Looks good Koontz. Some will get it immediately, others may take up to one minute to learn it! Hehe.

Re: KNIGHTS [12/11] Page 1 & 10.

Postby danfrank on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:27 pm

i like the idea too , the only thing i may suggest would be different colors like white gray and black... they wouldnt clash with army numbers , there neutral and they are more chess like... other than that when is this going beta =D>
Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:27 am

danfrank wrote:i like the idea too , the only thing i may suggest would be different colors like white gray and black... they wouldnt clash with army numbers , there neutral and they are more chess like... other than that when is this going beta =D>

Different colours are needed. Ran a CB test and on one of the 3, 2 of the colours look black.
Long way till beta as we have lots of debating to do.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:20 pm

And while we are at it tonight.

New colours for the bonuses so the CB tests work.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: KNIGHTS [14/11] Page 1 & 10.

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:50 am

I cannot wait for this map!
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Re: KNIGHTS [14/11] Page 1 & 10.

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:37 am

DoomYoshi wrote:I cannot wait for this map!

Thanks Doom.

Need to sort out numbers. Are mine correct.
    Starting troops - 3 per territ.
    Neutrals - 1
    Reinforcements (troops placed) - 5 per round only.
    Bonus numbers +2 & +4
Lieutenant koontz1973

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas