Conquer Club

Classic Cities :Pot Mosbi [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Classic Cities :Pot Mosbi [8.3.12] P11 Font Choices

Postby cairnswk on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:23 am

Bumping ot next page....
Re the font:
I've played around with woodstick, and other types of this nature, and while they are appropriate, they're too small on the map to show their details and thus are lost.
So from the below are some options...

Which do you think is suitable...or the original on V10

Anymore opinions on this?

Quoraum Blk BT - original

Quillscript

Quillscript - outline enhanced at 1 px.

Market

Cezanne

Romulus
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: Classic Cities :Pot Mosbi [8.3.12] P11/12 - Font Choices

Postby isaiah40 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:51 pm

Looking at them all again, I think your original font is the best one, although Romulus is also good IMHO. Maybe increase the size a bit, so it's more legible. B.S.G. needs the outer glow increased a bit like you have the Golf Ples.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:53 am

I go back and forth between Romulus, bold Quillscript, and the original...but Romulus is nice because it is pretty easy to read (especially in the legend)...and on the game board, it looks the most like an 'official' region heading font from my mind.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby cairnswk on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:33 am

AndyDufresne wrote:I go back and forth between Romulus, bold Quillscript, and the original...but Romulus is nice because it is pretty easy to read (especially in the legend)...and on the game board, it looks the most like an 'official' region heading font from my mind.
--Andy

Ah, Andy, it wasn't meant to trick you, but the legend on Romulus is actually still the original Quorum Blk BT. I'm glad though you recognised the clear legibility of that font which is why i chose it in the first place. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:46 am

Announcement: So that no-one gets themselves confused as to what font i have used across my maps, i have listed them all here for you. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:21 pm

Guys, i don't want this font thing to drag on much longer...so i've summarised your input...

...............1st Choice......2nd Choise
Andy..........Romulus........Quorum Blk BT
RBO...........Romulus........Market
Sully...........Quillscript......Romulus
Natty..........Quillscript Bold
Isaiah40......Quillscript Bold
Andy (2)......Quillscript Bold
Isaiah40(2).. Quorum Blk T.....Romulus
Andy(3).......Romulus

So from that it looks like Quillscript Bold followed by Romulus

So, while moving things about and increasing sizes of Boroko etc...i have made the map font Quillscript Bold and and region bonus font and impassables Romulus.

Does this work for everyone?
I'd like to leave the 3 top left plates as they are as they are really clean and Romulus etc doesn't work up there.

I have to say that i really still the original font Quorum Blk BT simply because it is so clean and legible. :)

image deleted...problems with size
Last edited by cairnswk on Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Private cairnswk

Re: Classic Cities :Pot Mosbi [18.3.12] V11-P13 - Font?

Postby natty dread on Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:32 pm

If you make the bonus names slightly larger, maybe increase the font size by 1px... then it's good I think.

Also, the blue impassable text is unreadable.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby cairnswk on Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:00 pm

natty dread wrote:If you make the bonus names slightly larger, maybe increase the font size by 1px... then it's good I think.

Also, the blue impassable text is unreadable.

Fixed in image above...please refresh
Private cairnswk

Postby natty dread on Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:05 pm

yeah it works now
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:49 am

The only issue with the above image and text, is that o's and a's on the map, when it comes to region names, are pretty close indistinguishable on the small map.

--Andy

Postby cairnswk on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:04 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:The only issue with the above image and text, is that o's and a's on the map, when it comes to region names, are pretty close indistinguishable on the small map.
--Andy

Did you not look at this on previous pages when you voted for Quillscript Bold :?:
So, do you want to revert to something different for the region names on the map?
Private cairnswk

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:23 am

cairnswk wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:The only issue with the above image and text, is that o's and a's on the map, when it comes to region names, are pretty close indistinguishable on the small map.
--Andy

Did you not look at this on previous pages when you voted for Quillscript Bold :?:
So, do you want to revert to something different for the region names on the map?

Upon closer inspection of how each letter was displayed with the bold, the above is how I felt in response. Overall, I think the text works great with aesthetic, and that was what my first sort of vote was for I suppose!

--Andy

Postby cairnswk on Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:11 pm

1. the fonts seem sorted
2. the trees are sorted
3. the river is re-worked
4. the borders are re-drawn

still to do...
1. mountains
2. some tribe images

see how i go...may have to vacation this along with NZ if i don't get an up-date done in time. :)
Private cairnswk

Re: Classic Cities :Pot Mosbi [31.3.12] V12-P13 - GFX?

Postby cairnswk on Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:56 am

V12...

1. Mountains changed and trimmed down
2. colours grew legs and swapped themselves around...i'm a bot happier with this design
3. borders cleaned up
4. i think font is decided.

Still to do...tribe images.

And these are the CB tests
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... 11Scbp.png
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... 11Scbd.png
Last edited by cairnswk on Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby Gillipig on Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:31 am

Did most people really prefer the bold font?? It's almost impossible to read. Example, "Et Mail Not" is clearly readable without bold. With bold it looks like "Et Mall Not"!
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby RedBaron0 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:34 am

Let's hear a few more opinion, I like the font and I can read it and can tell the "I" and "L" apart.... but then again I grew up with English.

Is it me or is the glow around SJGS brighter than any of the other territory names?
he black border next to the river between Mid Wes (incidentally is that supposed to be "Wes" or "West?") and "Mails" and why is that in quotes?
Do all the "NapaNapa" territories need "NapaNapa" in the their names? Seems kinda redundant... especially for the huge territory name for the Oil refinery. Can say for the "Mails."
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby cairnswk on Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:45 am

Gillipig wrote:...
Did most people really prefer the bold font?? It's almost impossible to read. Example, "Et Mail Not" is clearly readable without bold. With bold it looks like "Et Mall Not"!

RedBaron0 wrote:Let's hear a few more opinion, I like the font and I can read it and can tell the "I" and "L" apart.... but then again I grew up with English.

Guys, a pologise for this, but the bottom image that is showing on Gillpig's above post is out of size for some reason, I have tried to delete and reload on photoboucket but for me it keeps coming back the same size.
The normal size should be 892x800 but this image
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... V11Scd.png
insists on displaying at 838x750.
If this is happening for you...please let me know.

Gillipig, can you place that bottom image with this one please
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... V12Scd.png

I am not sure that this might not be contronuting to the difficulty that gillpig is having with legibility of the Quillscript bold font :?:

Is it me or is the glow around SJGS brighter than any of the other territory names?

Not you RB0...it is indeed a different glow and i have amended it, fixed for next version. i was mucking around with glows.

he black border next to the river between Mid Wes (incidentally is that supposed to be "Wes" or "West?") and "Mails" and why is that in quotes?

Wes is toki pisin for west...
Mails was in quote because i thought it deserved quotes, but no biggy, i cxan remove them if you feel not necessary :)
...and what about the black border...you never got there :idea:

Do all the "NapaNapa" territories need "NapaNapa" in the their names? Seems kinda redundant... especially for the huge territory name for the Oil refinery. Can say for the "Mails."

well, that is the name of the road that leads out to the Napa Napa Oil Refinery. I've simply divided it into sections...check google if you like ;) . i understand what you are saying, but i don't think it is redundant when that is the name of a feature of the map.
Sorry but i don't understand the last section.... Can say for the "Mails."...what are u trying to say here? :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Gillipig on Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:47 am

RedBaron0 wrote:Let's hear a few more opinion, I like the font and I can read it and can tell the "I" and "L" apart.... but then again I grew up with English.

We have "i" and "l" in Sweden too :? . It's hard to tell the difference between them because the letters are too thick. Maybe you have a better screen or resolution than me or something!? I have to squint and/or zoom in to see the difference.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby RedBaron0 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:01 am

Ugh in the morning I just forget words...

RedBaron0 wrote:he black border next to the river between Mid Wes (incidentally is that supposed to be "Wes" or "West?") and "Mails" why is is there? It should be deleted. And why is that in quotes?
Do all the "NapaNapa" territories need "NapaNapa" in the their names? Seems kinda redundant... especially for the huge territory name for the Oil refinery. Can say the for the "Mails."
The word "mails" seems to show up in all the territories in the region, same as Napa Napa.

I understand what you are saying about the Napanapa road and all, but remember these names are going into the drop down menu and (I'll have to check on this) There may be a limit to the size of a territory name in the box... And for sanity and space sake, despite the naming irl, I really think you can drop all the Napanapa's and "Mails."
ImageImage

Postby cairnswk on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:00 am

RedBaron0 wrote:Ugh in the morning I just forget words...

RedBaron0 wrote:he black border next to the river between Mid Wes (incidentally is that supposed to be "Wes" or "West?") and "Mails" why is is there? It should be deleted. And why is that in quotes?
Do all the "NapaNapa" territories need "NapaNapa" in the their names? Seems kinda redundant... especially for the huge territory name for the Oil refinery. Can say the for the "Mails."
The word "mails" seems to show up in all the territories in the region, same as Napa Napa.

I understand what you are saying about the Napanapa road and all, but remember these names are going into the drop down menu and (I'll have to check on this) There may be a limit to the size of a territory name in the box... And for sanity and space sake, despite the naming irl, I really think you can drop all the Napanapa's and "Mails."

RB0, i can understand your reluctance to include these on the map.
For the Mails....This is a road district that is measured for it's distance from the city as it were.
Several of these names are clearly marked in the suburb listing for Port Morseby.
And i have even spoken at some length with natives of the city who attend my university here in Cairns indeed in my class and discussed with them the appropriate naming of the outer suburbs which in the case of Et Mail do not have official names in the suburbs listing but they have indicated my naming for that areas as being appropriate.
I feel to change this would denegrate the flavour of Port Morseby and make it into something it is not.
Therefore i am very much inclined to retain these names and the region.

For the Napa Napa Road...This of course is again a road name that is part fo the flavour of Port Moresby.
I would be reluctant again to change that, however, having nothing to do in my opinion with sanity sake, but perhaps more to be influenced by space consideration in the xml drop list, i would be prepared to adjust to the following:
In the top legend for inclusion...N.N. = Napa Napa
On the territory names for both map and xml, N.N. Rot Wan, N.N. Rot Tu. etc. and also N.N. Oil Refinery.

I think to alter these altogether is like asking someone to rename the Ben Franklin Bridge from your Philadelphia map.
You see, i think in making these maps we owe it to culture to stick to the names given on map as much as possible, even if there is a small creative license involved. :)
Private cairnswk

Re: Classic Cities :Pot Mosbi [4.4.12] V13-P13 - GFX?

Postby cairnswk on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:57 pm

Version 13.

1. Bridges replaced
2. some territories around Boroko enlarged to give some extra space down there
3. font size increased from 3.3 to 3.4 and most territory names have 75% interline spacing
4. Westim Ples and Gogodilla Viles increased in size.
5. N.N.=Napa Napa added to legend and adjustments map to the map
6. font colour reduced from pure black to 80% black - it takes that jaring and strong contrast look from the map.

I feel things are overall improving... :)

Private cairnswk

Postby Nola_Lifer on Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:17 pm

The black lines that outline the different borders, are the necessary? Can you get away without having them or tone them down a bit? They seem a bit forced. Also, can you move Poreporena over a little so the a isn't clashing with the blue. Sorry just little stuff. Map is nice. I'd hang it on my wall.
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby RedBaron0 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:02 am

I'm more coherent now XD so the border here: Image doesn't need to be so bold right next to the river.
ImageImage

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:13 pm

Nola_Lifer wrote:The black lines that outline the different borders, are the necessary? Can you get away without having them or tone them down a bit? They seem a bit forced.

Hi Nola_Lifer,
I wouldn't want to do away with them because they help define the continents better, given that there was an issue with some other borders. I have toned them down from #000000 to #444444 in next version.

Also, can you move Poreporena over a little so the a isn't clashing with the blue. Sorry just little stuff. Map is nice. I'd hang it on my wall.

...move Poreporena over...yes.
Now that's a really nice wall comment :lol:

RedBaron0 wrote:I'm more coherent now XD so the border here: Image doesn't need to be so bold right next to the river.

Oh, what was it that lead to your being incoherent? Pleased to hear that you are recovered now though.
Actually, i quite like that border there, it also helps define Erima continent better, although you might see a difference when it is toned down.

Please refresh F5 the map above to see these changes.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:26 am

This is the neutrals and starts maps that i hadn't posted to front page, but is now there.
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas