Conquer Club

King's Court 2 [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: King's Court 2

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:55 am

Kabanellas wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:Sorry if this has been brought up already, but for the king it says -4 for each castle. Is this right? It seems like if you hold the king and a castle you should get something not lose.

In terms of gameplay making 2 vital parts of the game collide with each other (giving negative bonus) is the best way to spice things :)

(a bit like in Conquer Rome, you get negative bonus if you hold the emperor and a barbarian tribe - those are 2 key elements on map)

Ah, okay, I didn't know if you had inadvertently hit the - instead of the +. This is looking good gameplay wise, I'll see what the other CA's think. But in the meantime I think this one can get stickied!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Re: King's Court 2

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:01 am

isaiah40 wrote:
Kabanellas wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:Sorry if this has been brought up already, but for the king it says -4 for each castle. Is this right? It seems like if you hold the king and a castle you should get something not lose.

In terms of gameplay making 2 vital parts of the game collide with each other (giving negative bonus) is the best way to spice things :)

(a bit like in Conquer Rome, you get negative bonus if you hold the emperor and a barbarian tribe - those are 2 key elements on map)

Ah, okay, I didn't know if you had inadvertently hit the - instead of the +. This is looking good gameplay wise, I'll see what the other CA's think.!!

This will be stamped in a couple of days if there are not any other gameplay issues!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Re: King's Court 2 (V13 pg4)

Postby Kabanellas on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:16 am

thank you :)
Major Kabanellas

Postby wolfpack0530 on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:24 am

kab, it looks really really good. sexy even.

i now need to buy a new keyboard...... :o
Captain wolfpack0530

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:35 am

:oops: I missed this one. My two days turned into 1 week. Sorry about that Kab.

By the King's order, I now declare this map stamped!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Kabanellas on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:41 pm

thank you !! :) I'll start working on the small map now
Major Kabanellas

Postby gimil on Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi mate,

Can you post the most recent version of your map so I can get in a review?

Cheers,
gimil
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Kabanellas on Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:03 pm

Hi Gimil,

it's this one as it stands on the first page:

Click image to enlarge.
Major Kabanellas

Postby gimil on Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:48 pm

Alright mate,

Looking pretty good. I only have onemajor concern at the moment. Your impassables are currently crisp, beveled shaped. Which does not fit the light grungy map look you have. I think you need to develop new impassables that fit better with the rest of your map.

Right now there is nothing wrong with your impassables. The style just doesn't fit that of the rest of the map.

Cheers,
gimil

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Kabanellas on Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:43 am

I think I know what you mean... though I must say that those differences of styles are part of this map graphical/artistic concept.

I don't want to make another 'Dawn of Ages' map where mountains and forest do fit the style of an ancient hand drawn map - all equally

In King's Court 2 I'm taking the King's Court graphical concept (of beveled impassables) and twist it a bit to result in something like this.

And I do love the outcome of it
. ...And honestly I can't figure it working in any other way. Of course that artistic results are not objective and are always debatable - but this was the path I chose to thread.
Last edited by Kabanellas on Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major Kabanellas

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:29 am

I think the graphics and thematic elements you have going are all working well together. I've mostly avoided playing on Kings Court 1, but watching this map develop, makes me want to take a stab at 1, and give 2 a shot if it comes out.

Best of luck,

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Kabanellas on Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:10 am

Thank you Andy.
Major Kabanellas

Postby gimil on Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:01 pm

Kabanellas wrote:I think I know what you mean... though I must say that those differences of styles are part of this map graphical/artistic concept.

I don't want to make another 'Dawn of Ages' map where mountains and forest do fit the style of an ancient hand drawn map - all equally

In King's Court 2 I'm taking the King's Court graphical concept (of beveled impassables) and twist it a bit to result in something like this.

And I do love the outcome of it
. ...And honestly I can't figure it working in any other way. Of course that artistic results are not objective and are always debatable - but this was the path I chose to thread.

I see exactly what you mean. and on Kings Court 1 it works. I think here they will work but currently the mountains feel just a tad to bubbly and clean. I would encourage you to tweek them a bit, if that is alright? The trees on the other hand, look far to much like rabbit shit to me. I really don't feel them and think that trees could be much better represented in the style you are after. Maybe making the dots smaller and having a variety of colours, maybe three different shades of green would work.

What do you think?

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby natty dread on Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Agree about the trees, they don't work
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Kabanellas on Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:31 am

gimil wrote:I see exactly what you mean. and on Kings Court 1 it works. I think here they will work but currently the mountains feel just a tad to bubbly and clean. I would encourage you to tweek them a bit, if that is alright? The trees on the other hand, look far to much like rabbit shit to me. I really don't feel them and think that trees could be much better represented in the style you are after. Maybe making the dots smaller and having a variety of colours, maybe three different shades of green would work.

What do you think?

Ok. Making those trees colors variate could make sense, and might work just fine. I'll try it. And I'll also try to work a bit on the mountains, though I like the way they look... But I'll test some stuff there 8-)
Major Kabanellas

Postby bernooch on Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:20 am

wow.....just wow
Cook bernooch

Postby Kabanellas on Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:33 pm

Some testing on the trees (upper left side)

Click image to enlarge.

actual version:

Click image to enlarge.
Major Kabanellas

Postby DiM on Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:48 pm

Kabanellas wrote:Some testing on the trees (upper left side)

it's upper right actually :P

anyway, imho it's not an improvement over the old trees. what you should do is get a round brush (since you said you like trees to look like that), then set a light yellowish green as a foreground colour and a dark brownish green as the background. then adjust the brush settings to vary between those colours, to vary in size and make the brush scatter. you can also toy around with the hue. then paint your forest and apply a small bevel.

for a more natural looking forest you'll actually need to use a different brush (not hard round) and also adjust the orientation to jitter.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:13 pm

Why do you want the trees to look like small plastic nubs? And why is each "tree" larger than a building in a village?

I actually think you should reduce the bevel on the forests, and reduce the size of the trees, the colour variation isn't so important...

Oh, and rather than having an individual bevel for each tree, you should first draw the trees and then apply the bevel on them, if that makes sense...

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:48 am

natty_dread wrote:Why do you want the trees to look like small plastic nubs? And why is each "tree" larger than a building in a village?

Agree about not having them that look like plastic, but disagree about size, in fact Medieval Art and proportions doesn't match exactly :P So I think they fit the map under some aspects, but certainly they need another look.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby gimil on Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:54 pm

Plastic? I still think they look like rabbit poo. Substantially reduce there size (as natty suggested) is deffo a good starting point.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:01 pm

Just to throw this out there, the colors make the trees look worse in my eyes, it makes the circles look more artificial than they already are.

I think I'd just prefer them to be the same color, with varying sizes.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:22 pm

gimil wrote:I still think they look like rabbit poo.

lol
Yeah, maybe less round it's better
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Kabanellas on Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:35 am

It's hard for me to find a way out of it because I really like the way they look. But I'll try to come up with something...
Major Kabanellas

Postby natty dread on Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:07 am

Kabanellas wrote:It's hard for me to find a way out of it because I really like the way they look. But I'll try to come up with something...

The trees aren't bad per se... they might look great on some other map, but on this map they look bad, you know? They don't seem to fit the general style of the map.

Why not make them more similar to the mountains... you know, how a forest from far above looks like just a mass of green, you can't see the individual trees... just make them a vaguely similar shape to the mountains, but a bit more flat, and less conical, maybe with a bit less smooth outline... know what I'm saying? Then give them the foresty look by the way of texture and shading.

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas