Conquer Club

Extreme Global Warming [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby wrightfan123 on Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:21 pm

pepperonibread wrote:How do I post the map with the XML? Do I just show a screenshot with the numbers? And yes, the XML is now done.

yea! yea! yea! yea! huzzah! whoop it up! (just getting ready for Andrew's post :))
Corporal wrightfan123

Location: Looking over every baseball team's schedule to try to determine who will win the World Series.

Postby pepperonibread on Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:54 pm

New update:

Large:

Large with XML:

Small:

Small with XML:

This update has just the XML, changes to the submerged areas will come soon.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby Night Strike on Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:47 pm

I'm glad this has moved to the final forge........I want to play it at least once. Sorry, I don't really have anything productive to say.
Major Night Strike

Postby wrightfan123 on Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:45 pm

Night Strike wrote:I'm glad this has moved to the final forge........I want to play it at least once. Sorry, I don't really have anything productive to say.

no one does anymore. it's just a bunch of us waiting around for Andrew to come so we can yell at him. ;)
Corporal wrightfan123

Location: Looking over every baseball team's schedule to try to determine who will win the World Series.

Postby unriggable on Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:53 pm

Clarify the chile - argentina border
Cook unriggable

Postby Unit_2 on Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:05 pm

looks good, but are the islands above norway and ural norway and ural?
Sergeant Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby pepperonibread on Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:29 pm

Unit_2 wrote:looks good, but are the islands above norway and ural norway and ural?

They're not really there for a reason, sort of like the islands next to Greenland.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby Unit_2 on Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:44 pm

ooo.. ok if you make them a territory and name them green land island 1 and island 2 that would add more bonuses to europe or something
Sergeant Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby Lupo on Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:23 am

I'm wondering why the uninhabited zone is along the equator: I would prefer to have, instead, 2 different uninhabited zones, southern and northern from the equator.

in fact these are the zone where there are the biggest deserts nowadays.

I would like to indroduce a zunami in the pacific area, earthque zones* in Middle east (for istance Iran), hurricane zones in southern USA and similar staff...

in this way it will be possible to add both positive both negative territories bonuses...

* also if this may not be linked with climate changes

Last edited by Lupo on Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Nature is a temple in which living pillars
Sometimes emit confused words;
Man crosses it through forests of symbols
That observe him with familiar glances."
Sergeant 1st Class Lupo

Postby pepperonibread on Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:47 am

Lupo wrote:I'm wondering why the uninhabited zone is along the equator: I would prefer to have, instead, 2 different uninhabited zones, southern and northern from the equator.

I would like to indroce a zunami in the pacific area, earthque zones* in Middle east (for istance Iran), hurricane zonesin southern USA and similar staff...

in this way it will be possible to add both positive both negative territories bonuses...

All this stuff sounds interesting, but the thing is, the map is already crowded as it is, and stuff like this would just make it worse.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby wrightfan123 on Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:36 pm

pepperonibread wrote:
Lupo wrote:I'm wondering why the uninhabited zone is along the equator: I would prefer to have, instead, 2 different uninhabited zones, southern and northern from the equator.

I would like to indroce a zunami in the pacific area, earthque zones* in Middle east (for istance Iran), hurricane zonesin southern USA and similar staff...

All this stuff sounds interesting, but the thing is, the map is already crowded as it is, and stuff like this would just make it worse.

save it for World Apocalypse
Corporal wrightfan123

Postby KEYOGI on Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:05 pm

I wonder if perhaps the continent names in the legend could be cleared up a bit. I'm not sure what it is, perhaps an issue with contrast or an effect on the text maybe... but I find some of the names a bit hard on the eye. The rest of the map looks superb though, keep up the good work.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Night Strike on Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:56 am

Lupo, why are you expressing a wholesale game-play changing change to this map while it's in Final Forge???? That's supposed to be done in the Main Foundry. The Final Forge is for minor tweaks and clean-ups, not changing the map's game-play (as far as I understand).
Major Night Strike

Postby wrightfan123 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:31 am

Night Strike wrote:Lupo, why are you expressing a wholesale game-play changing change to this map while it's in Final Forge???? That's supposed to be done in the Main Foundry. The Final Forge is for minor tweaks and clean-ups, not changing the map's game-play (as far as I understand).

yea, dude. Wade, for the people who don't understand, make the "[Final Forge]" in the title REALLY BIG AND PURPLE! JUST LIKE THISso they can't miss it :)
Corporal wrightfan123

Postby hecter on Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:27 am

wrightfan123 wrote:
Night Strike wrote:Lupo, why are you expressing a wholesale game-play changing change to this map while it's in Final Forge???? That's supposed to be done in the Main Foundry. The Final Forge is for minor tweaks and clean-ups, not changing the map's game-play (as far as I understand).

yea, dude. Wade, for the people who don't understand, make the "[Final Forge]" in the title REALLY BIG AND PURPLE! JUST LIKE THISso they can't miss it :)

BBCode doesn't work in the title.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby wrightfan123 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:46 pm

hecter wrote:
wrightfan123 wrote:

BBCode doesn't work in the title.

I know, but I like purple :)

man, my smiley wasn't purple :(
Corporal wrightfan123

Postby pepperonibread on Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:55 am

Not to sound too much like I'm trying to get out of doing it, but I don't think the new submerged areas are going to work. I can't seem to recreate the effect I have now. When I started this map, I was still learning Photoshop, so some things may be hard to change. However, if you guys really want me to, I could keep working on them until I get it right.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby wrightfan123 on Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:18 pm

im pretty sure no one's even POSTED here n two days, much less new ideas. im gettng Andy. (but not now, the AllStar game s on:))
Corporal wrightfan123

Postby edbeard on Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:38 pm

well the XML file hasn't even been posted so things can't really move forward until then wright. also, keyogi asked about clearing up the continent text in the legend and that hasn't been addressed or commented on yet.

don't take this the wrong way, but all of the bumps with no content don't help at all. it just clutters up the thread making it harder to find posts with actual content.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby wrightfan123 on Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:34 am

hey, im not the only one doing it.
Corporal wrightfan123

Postby pepperonibread on Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:47 am

edbeard wrote:well the XML file hasn't even been posted so things can't really move forward until then wright. also, keyogi asked about clearing up the continent text in the legend and that hasn't been addressed or commented on yet.

don't take this the wrong way, but all of the bumps with no content don't help at all. it just clutters up the thread making it harder to find posts with actual content.

How do I post the XML? Do I just post a link to the file on the uploading site? Or do I just do this:
Code: Select all
<xml here>

P.S.: In my update on pg. 28, I put a little outline on all of the continent text. I can make it more noticeable if people are still having trouble reading it.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby maxdetjens on Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:50 am

I would recommend simply putting a link. A whole XML file makes for a very long post. the code thing is really only for snippets
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby pepperonibread on Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:45 pm

maxdetjens wrote:I would recommend simply putting a link. A whole XML file makes for a very long post. the code thing is really only for snippets

Thanks.

P.S.: Your signature is sweet.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby pepperonibread on Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:59 pm

Well, here it is:

Extreme Global Warming XML
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby edbeard on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:08 pm

I went through your XML. I did not find any problems. I do suggest you go through it yourself a few times just to be sure. One thing I did not do was enter the XML into the tester which would help you make sure you spelled the name of a territory the same way throughout the XML. You've probably already done it, but if not you need to do it.

A few graphics suggestions:

One thing that I found a problem with graphics-wise are a few borders, or non-borders. From Western US to New England if you glance quickly you'll think there is a border there. Maybe you can increase the gap a bit.

I'd say the same is true in Japan, but it's definitely more pronounced in the west us and New england area.

Also, maybe increase the size of the border between Praries and Quebec. the border is quite small and any confusion will be averted with a larger border. you probably could just increase the lower left area of Quebec to make this more clear.

Oh almost forgot, the lake or whatever it is in Siberia, just under the army circle. It looks like you were drawing borders in and the brush strayed off there.
Lieutenant edbeard

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas