Conquer Club

Extreme Global Warming [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby wrightfan123 on Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:37 pm

pepperonibread wrote:
wrightfan123 wrote:
pepperonibread wrote:Image

you mean right here?


While you guys debate where the polar ice caps are going to map, ill be ranting about the Antartica bonus: rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant,


?


I'm just saying it's too high...
User avatar
Private wrightfan123
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:58 pm
Location: Looking over every baseball team's schedule to try to determine who will win the World Series.
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby vakEirn79 on Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:32 pm

The Uninhabitable Zone is pretty distracting to me as well, but I'm not sure if simply toning down the redness is a good idea. It would probably be worse if it ends up looking pink or purple.

I think the borders on the Uninhabitable Zone should be changed. It seems unlikely that the Zone would have such clearly defined and perfectly straight borders. I haven't read all of the early posts though, so maybe there's a reason for that which I don't know about.

I don't mind the current underwater effect, because I know what it's trying to show. However, it really does look like the submerged parts of each continent are above sea level. The impression I get is that the continents are all hovering above the oceans, but certain parts have been flooded and now form giant lakes/basins.
Maybe a more realistic effect would be to have everything look sea level, but have the submerged parts darker/lighter than the rest of the water? Not sure if that would look any good though.

A lot of the territory names are difficult to read, but I assume you just haven't reached the point where that's a priority yet.

Are you missing some borders? I can't tell where the borders for Chile/Argentina/Brazil are. In particular, I don't know which one of Chile and Argentina can attack Brazil. I also don't see any separation between African Peninsula and Ghana, although it's much easier to guess where that one should be.

Having the Ghana and Chile army circles touching the Uninhabitable Zone ruins the effect a bit. Chile's circle can be moved down a few pixels easily, but Ghana's might require the text to be shifted a bit as well.
Corporal vakEirn79
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:52 pm

Postby wrightfan123 on Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:22 pm

Yea, Wade. Your next update should change some of the colors; primarily Asia and South America.
User avatar
Private wrightfan123
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:58 pm
Location: Looking over every baseball team's schedule to try to determine who will win the World Series.
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby pepperonibread on Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:33 pm

vakEirn79 wrote:The Uninhabitable Zone is pretty distracting to me as well, but I'm not sure if simply toning down the redness is a good idea. It would probably be worse if it ends up looking pink or purple.

I think the borders on the Uninhabitable Zone should be changed. It seems unlikely that the Zone would have such clearly defined and perfectly straight borders. I haven't read all of the early posts though, so maybe there's a reason for that which I don't know about.

I don't mind the current underwater effect, because I know what it's trying to show. However, it really does look like the submerged parts of each continent are above sea level. The impression I get is that the continents are all hovering above the oceans, but certain parts have been flooded and now form giant lakes/basins.
Maybe a more realistic effect would be to have everything look sea level, but have the submerged parts darker/lighter than the rest of the water? Not sure if that would look any good though.

A lot of the territory names are difficult to read, but I assume you just haven't reached the point where that's a priority yet.

Are you missing some borders? I can't tell where the borders for Chile/Argentina/Brazil are. In particular, I don't know which one of Chile and Argentina can attack Brazil. I also don't see any separation between African Peninsula and Ghana, although it's much easier to guess where that one should be.

Having the Ghana and Chile army circles touching the Uninhabitable Zone ruins the effect a bit. Chile's circle can be moved down a few pixels easily, but Ghana's might require the text to be shifted a bit as well.


First of all, thanks for all the feedback.
Uninhabitable Zone: I could take off the borders and leave a gradient, but I would have to make it pretty solid colored so people would know that it's supposed to be a unpassable border.
Submerged Land: I'll experiment with this, but I might just end up trashing it altogether. To me, it seems like it could just clutter up the map.
Territory Names: I should be able to make those bigger. And the legend, which is even harder to read, I'm just planning on making a section below the map to put that in.
Borders: Those borders are there, but the continent colors are too dark for you to see them well. So, I think I'll opt for the obvious solution: Make them lighter.
Ghana: Ghana is a little island with an ocean route going to Central Africa, but you can barely see it because of the army circle. I think I'll just end up making it not a country but leave it their for effect.
Image
User avatar
Corporal pepperonibread
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: The Former Confederacy
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Postby wrightfan123 on Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:13 pm

pepperonibread wrote:
vakEirn79 wrote:The Uninhabitable Zone is pretty distracting to me as well, but I'm not sure if simply toning down the redness is a good idea. It would probably be worse if it ends up looking pink or purple.

I think the borders on the Uninhabitable Zone should be changed. It seems unlikely that the Zone would have such clearly defined and perfectly straight borders. I haven't read all of the early posts though, so maybe there's a reason for that which I don't know about.

I don't mind the current underwater effect, because I know what it's trying to show. However, it really does look like the submerged parts of each continent are above sea level. The impression I get is that the continents are all hovering above the oceans, but certain parts have been flooded and now form giant lakes/basins.
Maybe a more realistic effect would be to have everything look sea level, but have the submerged parts darker/lighter than the rest of the water? Not sure if that would look any good though.

A lot of the territory names are difficult to read, but I assume you just haven't reached the point where that's a priority yet.

Are you missing some borders? I can't tell where the borders for Chile/Argentina/Brazil are. In particular, I don't know which one of Chile and Argentina can attack Brazil. I also don't see any separation between African Peninsula and Ghana, although it's much easier to guess where that one should be.

Having the Ghana and Chile army circles touching the Uninhabitable Zone ruins the effect a bit. Chile's circle can be moved down a few pixels easily, but Ghana's might require the text to be shifted a bit as well.


First of all, thanks for all the feedback.
Uninhabitable Zone: I could take off the borders and leave a gradient, but I would have to make it pretty solid colored so people would know that it's supposed to be a unpassable border.
Submerged Land: I'll experiment with this, but I might just end up trashing it altogether. To me, it seems like it could just clutter up the map.
Territory Names: I should be able to make those bigger. And the legend, which is even harder to read, I'm just planning on making a section below the map to put that in.
Borders: Those borders are there, but the continent colors are too dark for you to see them well. So, I think I'll opt for the obvious solution: Make them lighter.
Ghana: Ghana is a little island with an ocean route going to Central Africa, but you can barely see it because of the army circle. I think I'll just end up making it not a country but leave it their for effect.


Good Wade.
User avatar
Private wrightfan123
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:58 pm
Location: Looking over every baseball team's schedule to try to determine who will win the World Series.
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby pepperonibread on Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:43 am

Question... How do I start a new poll?
Image
User avatar
Corporal pepperonibread
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: The Former Confederacy
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Postby DiM on Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:34 am

pepperonibread wrote:Question... How do I start a new poll?


ask a mod to remove the old one and then edit first post to insert new poll.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Image
User avatar
Major DiM
 
Posts: 10412
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm
Location: making maps for scooby snacks
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby Anarchist on Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:27 am

Looks good

Like the "Map of the future" on page 2 a bit more though

can always make human built Atols aswell
just a thought
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Anarchist
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:25 am
Location: A little island in the Pacific

Postby haoala on Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:12 am

actually, i would prefer it without you showing how the continents sank, they are i little confusing when looking at the continents
Gain the upper hand
User avatar
Lieutenant haoala
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:58 am
Location: Directly opposite the South of Napo
Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby darkmagus on Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:29 am

If you keep the lost continental borders then I think you should make them even more subtle.
They look good but at the same time they are also slightly annoying.. (insert bad joke about girls here)
Private darkmagus
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:18 pm
Medals: 1
Freestyle Achievement (1)

Postby pepperonibread on Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:41 pm

Anarchist wrote:Looks good

Like the "Map of the future" on page 2 a bit more though


Alright, but what's that map based on?

darkmagus wrote:If you keep the lost continental borders then I think you should make them even more subtle.
They look good but at the same time they are also slightly annoying.. (insert bad joke about girls here)


Yeah, I agree, there's going to be a poll on that soon.
Image
User avatar
Corporal pepperonibread
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: The Former Confederacy
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Postby Jafnhár on Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:51 pm

Looks good. However, in my opinion, the lands that have sunk could be a bit less obvious - but still clear to a careful eye.

btw, remember to add the latest update to the first page. ;)
User avatar
Sergeant Jafnhár
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:48 am
Location: Ísland

Postby 1st chair flute on Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:11 pm

Wade how bout a new version of the map so we can gripe about new changes=)
Cook 1st chair flute
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:31 pm
Location: Aiur

Postby pepperonibread on Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:44 pm

1st chair flute wrote:Wade how bout a new version of the map so we can gripe about new changes=)


It's coming.

P.S.: Learn how to use real smileys.
Image
User avatar
Corporal pepperonibread
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: The Former Confederacy
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Postby KEYOGI on Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:15 pm

Do you think I should keep going with this map?

Yes
65% [ 87 ]
No
34% [ 45 ]

Total Votes : 132
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI
 
Posts: 1632
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:09 am
Medals: 3
Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby Contrickster on Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:19 pm

I think it's a great map. Keep going. If nothing else because it's such a great parody of an aspect popular culture. A broad grin breaks out on my face every time I see the latest version.
Corporal 1st Class Contrickster
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:24 pm

Postby haoala on Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:01 am

i think the sunken lands should be much, much less obvious, perhaps make them the same colour as the sea but their bordersa are ok i guess
Gain the upper hand
User avatar
Lieutenant haoala
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:58 am
Location: Directly opposite the South of Napo
Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Anarchist on Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:33 am

i like being able to see the land that has sunk,it makes it look better and feel so real! :P

I think page 2 was based on elevations not sure, with ppls comments yours became less believable then the others(good map regardless)

dont mind the non-habitable zone at all!
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Anarchist
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:25 am
Location: A little island in the Pacific

Postby pepperonibread on Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:38 am

haoala wrote:i think the sunken lands should be much, much less obvious, perhaps make them the same colour as the sea but their bordersa are ok i guess


Yeah, I'll probably just end up making them fainter.
Image
User avatar
Corporal pepperonibread
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: The Former Confederacy
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Postby wrightfan123 on Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:30 pm

As the first person to say that you should veto (hey, I used a speeling word!) the submerged stuff, I will speak for anyone else who votes for that. I think with them it looks to cluttered. Maybe if you tone it down a whole lot, but otherwise, trash them.
User avatar
Private wrightfan123
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:58 pm
Location: Looking over every baseball team's schedule to try to determine who will win the World Series.
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby pepperonibread on Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:47 pm

wrightfan123 wrote:As the first person to say that you should veto (hey, I used a speeling word!) the submerged stuff, I will speak for anyone else who votes for that. I think with them it looks to cluttered. Maybe if you tone it down a whole lot, but otherwise, trash them.


I'm not sure if I like them that much either, but didn't you say this earlier:

wrightfan123 wrote:to answer your question, they look pretty cool...


Flip-Flop!
Image
User avatar
Corporal pepperonibread
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: The Former Confederacy
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Postby wrightfan123 on Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:45 pm

pepperonibread wrote:
wrightfan123 wrote:As the first person to say that you should veto (hey, I used a speeling word!) the submerged stuff, I will speak for anyone else who votes for that. I think with them it looks to cluttered. Maybe if you tone it down a whole lot, but otherwise, trash them.


I'm not sure if I like them that much either, but didn't you say this earlier:

wrightfan123 wrote:to answer your question, they look pretty cool...


Flip-Flop!


Yes, I'm a hypocrit, get used to it.
User avatar
Private wrightfan123
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:58 pm
Location: Looking over every baseball team's schedule to try to determine who will win the World Series.
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby wrightfan123 on Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:28 pm

bump!
User avatar
Private wrightfan123
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:58 pm
Location: Looking over every baseball team's schedule to try to determine who will win the World Series.
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby mibi on Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:58 pm

what happened to the DEATH ZONE!??!
User avatar
Captain mibi
 
Posts: 3350
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: The Great State of Vermont
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby pepperonibread on Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:40 pm

It... died.
Image
User avatar
Corporal pepperonibread
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: The Former Confederacy
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users