Conquer Club

Doodle Earth [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:46 pm

Actually, a thought just occurs. Unless there are duplicates, any fewer than 25 territories and there wouldn't be enough cards to go around for a higher-number-player game.
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Spockers on Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:26 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I honestly see no point in this map. :)

--Andy
Private 1st Class Spockers

Postby AndrewLC on Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:42 am

I like the idea, may as well try it before we say it won't work.
Sexy party

Free Norse!
Free Norse!
Free Norse!
Cook AndrewLC

Postby Captain Crash on Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:14 am

Spockers wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:I honestly see no point in this map. :)

--Andy

How about for quick games with only 3 or 4 players?

Not everything has to be about large maps with hundreds of countries (KoM, Chinese Checkers and soon to be Senate!)
How about for balance? For variety?

8)

Private Captain Crash

Postby fluffybunnykins on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:42 am

I like the idea of combining crayon with satire & Bush-wacking...
how about drawing it as if bush drew it in crayon? some suggestions:-
~ a bit of finger painting?
~ america in the middle of the map?
~ more pics: camels, terrorists, commies, etc?
~ mark the big bit at the bottom-right West New Zealand: it's smaller geographically, but bigger intellectually & culturally :twisted:
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Postby cheeseweasel on Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:00 am

fluffybunnykins wrote:I like the idea of combining crayon with satire & Bush-wacking...
~ mark the big bit at the bottom-right West New Zealand: it's smaller geographically, but bigger intellectually & culturally :twisted:

We'll get on that just as soon as the all-German map of the UK is finished. It'll be called "1946 if the Americans hadn't intervened."
Sergeant cheeseweasel

Postby fluffybunnykins on Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:45 am

cheeseweasel wrote:
fluffybunnykins wrote:I like the idea of combining crayon with satire & Bush-wacking...

We'll get on that just as soon as the all-German map of the UK is finished. It'll be called "1946 if the Americans hadn't intervened."

better late than never, I suppose... :roll: :wink:
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Postby cheeseweasel on Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:49 am

fluffybunnykins wrote:
cheeseweasel wrote:

better late than never, I suppose... :roll: :wink:

:lol: nice!
Sergeant cheeseweasel

Postby joeyjordison on Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:08 pm

i like the idea but its not playable. that few continents would mean u could just take people out immediately. imagine a terminator game on that map. just wouldn't work. and it could be easily abused. u just set up a freestyle terminator and u automatically get at least 1 kill if u r on regularly enough. and doubles or even triples?!?!?! 2 ters each...
Major joeyjordison

Postby Jedimika on Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:14 pm

I Think 30 would be the min number of territories that could be a playable map.
Cadet Jedimika

Postby Spritzking on Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:38 pm

its just the fact that if you dont like a map you should not play it...
Major Spritzking

Postby Kupo666 on Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:49 pm

Who cares if this map won't work with triples or larger amounts of people? It's a small map, it's not supposed to be played like that. With three people, each one gets six, which means that it will be nigh impossible to eliminate someone on the first turn.
By the way- I love the map. If you need any help creating crayon effects digitally, I know Fireworks has some crayon brush strokes.
Sergeant Kupo666

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:59 pm

Yeah, it wouldn't work with all settings (note that the bare minimum for full playability card-wise is four per players plus one; if any player gets five, their number is immediately reduced to two) but I do think there's potential for some nice quick games where a full one would be too long.

I'll try to do the crayon effect in PSP, but if it ends up consistently looking worse than it does when it's scanned, then I might seek some outside help.
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Qwert on Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:47 pm

I think mimimum for 3 and 4 player is 34 teritory.
3 players- 33-1 neutral
4 players-34-0 neutral
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:06 pm

Andy has already said he sees no point in making this map so let it die guys.

There are tons of better ideas out there, even if you want to make a small map. Just change the theme.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Captain Crash on Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:52 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:note that the bare minimum for full playability card-wise is four per players plus one; if any player gets five, their number is immediately reduced to two)
Not quite:
4 per player plus n.
Where n= number of players.

You get the 5th at the end of your turn, you don't need to cash these cards in until the start of your next turn, meanwhile all the other players may have accumulated 5 cards.

Ruben Cassar wrote:Andy has already said he sees no point in making this map so let it die guys.
Andy always says that, early on in map development! :roll:

8)

Private Captain Crash

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:55 pm

Captain Crash wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:Andy has already said he sees no point in making this map so let it die guys.

8)

Is that so? I don't think he does actually...
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Captain Crash on Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:59 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
Captain Crash wrote:

8)

Is that so? I don't think he does actually...

And what's wrong with a little hyperbole now and then? :)

Private Captain Crash

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:00 pm

Captain's correct. I often say such things early in development. Sometimes it takes time for everything to win me over :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:34 pm

Captain Crash wrote:
Evil DIMwit wrote:note that the bare minimum for full playability card-wise is four per players plus one; if any player gets five, their number is immediately reduced to two)
Not quite:
4 per player plus n.
Where n= number of players.

You get the 5th at the end of your turn, you don't need to cash these cards in until the start of your next turn, meanwhile all the other players may have accumulated 5 cards.

This is also true. Now, don't I feel like a fool twice. But I'm not entirely convinced there is no mechanism that makes possible maps with fewer than thirty territories; a closer examination of the program's procedure would be required.
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby fireedud on Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:43 pm

evil dimwit, to get on with your map, you have to put either bigger teritories or smaller names, so the army circles can fit.

And take away the penguins at the top of the page, either put them at the bottom or put polar bears there because penguins live in anatartica and polarbears live in the artic.
Cook fireedud

Postby Captain Crash on Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:44 am

But back to the map...

So we have determined we need 15 Territories minimum for 3 players and 20 for 4 players.

So 2 Questions:
1) Can we limit a map to a max number of players?
and then
2) Can you had two territories (One could be the pair of small islands off of the east coast of Australia...New something or other...lots of sheep) to take it up to 20 and then make it only for 3 or 4 players? (Hence allowing for the odd doubles game if people were so inclined)
Another option may be to shrink Turkmenistan and split India from China to give the second extra territory.
You could possibly separate Australia from Asia and create a 5th 'continent' and give it a small bonus (+1?).

also fireedud wrote:take away the penguins at the top of the page, either put them at the bottom or put polar bears there because penguins live in anatartica and polarbears live in the artic
Agreed

8)

Private Captain Crash

Postby Evil DIMwit on Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:23 am

So, first of all, it looks like the crayon beats the satire; the latter might then be a later project (though the region involved may change). Perhaps I'll post it in the ideas thread if the spirit strikes me so.
Incidentally, whom d'ya have to see around here to get a poll changed?

Secondly, adding two or three territories sounds like a solid plan, but there are several ways to go about that that I can think of off the top of my head:
1. I could add some territories to existing continents, leaving the number of continents intact and thus keeping the board on the simple side.
2. I could add some territories to America, Asia, and what would become Oceanea, and split the world into six continents again (which is somewhat against the simplifying spirit of the map)
3. If I'm putting in some New island nation off Australia, I might as well put in Japan, and the Caribbeans, and Madagascar, and then I might as well just give some complicated bonuses for holding more than one island territory to make up for the fact that it's so difficult to gain more than 11 territories for 3 territorial armies a turn.
4. Something else. I'm sure there are other great possibilities.
Incidentally, whom d'ya have to see around here to get a poll changed?

Thirdwise,
Captain Crash wrote:
also fireedud wrote:take away the penguins at the top of the page, either put them at the bottom or put polar bears there because penguins live in anatartica and polarbears live in the artic
Agreed

8)

Well, I'm glad to tell you that I'm quite aware of usual Penguin habitation practices; the joke was meant that the hypothetical child who is drawing the world is not.

That, or they're auks. I like auks.
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Enigma on Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:35 am

add territories to continents- i dont think they deserve the bonuses they have at the moment anyway. dont add more continents, like you said, unsimplifies it.

and i dont know if this was addressed or not, but both your pics have been scanned or photographs of a drawing. are you planning on making a digital picture? cuz i think its necessary.
Do you need an excuse to have a war? I mean, who for? Can't you just say "You got lots of cash and land, but I've got a big sword, so divy up right now, chop chop."
Terry Pratchet
Lieutenant Enigma

Postby Evil DIMwit on Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:49 am

It's been taking a while; I guess I do get carried away with aesthetics. I'll fix up something quick later today (or tomorrow if I have too much work today) and worry about prettifying it up later.
Captain Evil DIMwit

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas