Conquer Club

United States of Apocalypse [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Jota on Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:57 pm

Finally, an update!

[url=http://grunk.org/risk/usa10-large.jpg]Image
(Click for larger version.)[/url]

The rivers, they tell me to do things. I try to talk back, but who am I to refuse a river? The rivers insisted that Sanders be a part of the Voodoo Bayou. And in the long run, I think they were right. This means that those of you who are good at looking at bonuses should probably look at them again -- although I think there's a chance they might not actually have to change, since the effects sorta even out a bit.

I think that, unless people hate this ocean, I'm going to keep that as it is. But on the subject of aesthetic flourishes, is the rocket any clearer? How about in the large version? I'm considering reverting to the skull in the small map while keeping the rocket in the large one. Oh, and how about them quick-and-dirty bridges? I have this suspicion that they will be universally loathed. But if you don't loathe them, please, let me know!

(And of course, any other constructive comments are welcome.)
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby Mr. K on Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:15 am

I don't loathe them, though they do look like band-aids. They do the trick just fine.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby max is gr8 on Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:43 am

qeee1 wrote:I'm not sure, what if you start with two of them... you're basically crippled the first few turns.

Just to check my stats the bonuses would be:

Number owned / Bonus
1 / -1
2 / -2
3 / -2
4 / 0
5 / 5
6 / 14

I know I'm going back a bit here but
if you owned 2 you'ld get the penalty for 1 aswell as the penalty for 2 so I say this:

1/-1
2/-1
3/0
4/+2 which evens up as 0
5/+5 which evens up to 5 as 4 makes it 0
6/+9 which makes 14 as 5 makes 5 and 4 makes 0
ā€¹max is gr8ā€ŗ so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
ā€¹New_rulesā€ŗ Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby Marvaddin on Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:37 am

I dislike the bridges, they are almost unvisible in that yellow continent. I also think the white sign was better in the previous location, and you shouldnt move Sanders to the other continent... Corn country has now 7 borders, its too much. And we now need revise the bonuses...
Major Marvaddin

Postby SMITH197 on Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:33 am

kinda hard to see some of the lines between Indiana and Illinois...but i love the map overall, it should be great to play!

"Did you fortify New Guinea or are you just happy to see me?"
Corporal 1st Class SMITH197

Postby rocksolid on Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:31 am

Yeah, I didn't even realize there were bridges in the yellow continent until Marv mentioned them. They look a little like Uncle Ben's rice, too.

If I crank the brightness on my monitor, I can tell the difference in colour between Overmind and Canada, but otherwise it's still real dark. Louisiana's looking great. I agree Sanders has to be in the Bayou, even if you have to make up natural boundaries or something to make it happen (not that you need to, but if you're looking for ideas, you could put a gigantic dam in there somewhere [the Fanning dam on Dakota's western border?], or block a border between states by creating an impassable landmass called The Forbidden Zone, with a tiny graphic of the hand of the statue of Liberty...) though if the only concern is reducing the number of borders for Corn, you could eliminate the Indiana-Sanders and Illinois-Sanders bridges and put one in from Ohio - Sanders; that way Corn has fewer borders but Voodoo's borders aren't reduced below 3.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby Jota on Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:02 pm

The idea of CC now having too many borders is interesting to me. I say that because the player who owns CC can still choose to take Sanders in addition to it, reducing his/her borders back down to almost exactly what they were before... can removing the obligation to own an additional country really make a continent more difficult to hold?

I had kinda been imagining that having the strategic choice of either A) taking Sanders and having more countries to defend or B) not taking it and having more borders to defend was a nice element. Hmm.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby Mr. K on Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:53 pm

Jota wrote:The idea of CC now having too many borders is interesting to me. I say that because the player who owns CC can still choose to take Sanders in addition to it, reducing his/her borders back down to almost exactly what they were before... can removing the obligation to own an additional country really make a continent more difficult to hold?

I had kinda been imagining that having the strategic choice of either A) taking Sanders and having more countries to defend or B) not taking it and having more borders to defend was a nice element. Hmm.

I agree with this sentiment. I always like when maps have that kind of thing going.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby reverend_kyle on Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:44 pm

Jota wrote:Finally, an update!

[url=http://grunk.org/risk/usa10-large.jpg]Image
(Click for larger version.)[/url]

The rivers, they tell me to do things. I try to talk back, but who am I to refuse a river? The rivers insisted that Sanders be a part of the Voodoo Bayou. And in the long run, I think they were right. This means that those of you who are good at looking at bonuses should probably look at them again -- although I think there's a chance they might not actually have to change, since the effects sorta even out a bit.

I think that, unless people hate this ocean, I'm going to keep that as it is. But on the subject of aesthetic flourishes, is the rocket any clearer? How about in the large version? I'm considering reverting to the skull in the small map while keeping the rocket in the large one. Oh, and how about them quick-and-dirty bridges? I have this suspicion that they will be universally loathed. But if you don't loathe them, please, let me know!

(And of course, any other constructive comments are welcome.)
I think the rocket is lame, i thought the skull was much better. I like the quick and dirty bridges, though i think sanders needs one less. I agree on the rivers thing sanders is in it's place.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby haha on Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:13 pm

u make the us look like a dump with the toxic sines and i dont like the alaxa
Brigadier haha

Postby SMITH197 on Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:20 pm

lets try something constructive eh haha?

"Did you fortify New Guinea or are you just happy to see me?"
Corporal 1st Class SMITH197

Postby Fieryo on Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:02 pm

haha wrote:u make the us look like a dump with the toxic sines and i dont like the alaxa

a) i think thats the point
b) what is "alaxa"?
...where I'm from, we believe all sorts of things that aren't true. We call it -- "history"
Major Fieryo

Postby Haydena on Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:10 pm

haha wrote:u make the us look like a dump

You mean it's not? ;)

I love the rocket, it's a great touch, makes it feel like it's something that's gone wrong in the future... You really can't fault anything can you Jota?

The bridges look fine as they are I think, it just looks amazing...
Sergeant 1st Class Haydena

Postby Jota on Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:28 pm

[url=http://grunk.org/risk/usa11-large.jpg]Image
(Click for large version.)[/url]

These bridges are in basically the same style, but are hopefully more visible. Opinions were mixed over how many borders there should be, so I decided to just cast the deciding vote myself and keep them as they were. I also decided to make the penalties and bonuses for radiation more explicit; that should reduce the potential confusion.

I feel like this is approaching the final version, so if there are any major issues that I've failed to address, this is the time to mention them. Marvaddin, you mentioned that you were displeased with the bonuses now that Sanders was moved, but you didn't say what you thought needed to be done with them. Is there anyone else who dislikes how they are right now?
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby haha on Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:35 pm

Haydena wrote:
haha wrote:u make the us look like a dump

You mean it's not? ;)

I love the rocket, it's a great touch, makes it feel like it's something that's gone wrong in the future... You really can't fault anything can you Jota?

The bridges look fine as they are I think, it just looks amazing...

no its not were richer then any other contrie in the world more jobs and we r the best
Brigadier haha

Postby rocksolid on Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:39 pm

I'd suggest Aquaria 2 and maybe Ye Olde Newland 2, Texas 5 and Voodoo Bayou 4. I think whatever you choose, Texas should probably have the same bonus as Silicon Overmind, as they're very similar.

Except for Aquaria, the other three could probably stay as they are if you decide you want generally high bonuses for the map, but then I think you should boost Overmind to 6 to make it the same as Texas. Even Aquaria isn't that crazy as a 3 if you decide you want them high.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby Jota on Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:50 pm

haha wrote:no its not were richer then any other contrie in the world more jobs and we r the best

And our standards for literacy are top-notch!
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby haha on Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:57 pm

well thats only some people but there r people who clean up after the eligal imgrants
Brigadier haha

Postby Jota on Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:57 pm

rocksolid wrote:I'd suggest Aquaria 2 and maybe Ye Olde Newland 2, Texas 5 and Voodoo Bayou 4.

Note that the bonus for each continent is intentionally one higher than it normally would be, to compensate for the fact that each continent contains one irradiated country: Aquaria gives you +3 armies for the continent and -1 army for SoCal.

Texas should probably have the same bonus as Silicon Overmind, as they're very similar.

Mmm. It's currently one higher because it has one more country and borders one more foreign continent. Anyone else want to give an opinion on whether they should be the same or different?
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby haha on Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:59 pm

i think the mexican r still mad that we beat them in the mexican war and took a lot of land from them
Brigadier haha

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:14 pm

Well lets see...

If only it didn't take so long to type, I would respond more!

---I'll just say, are you doing anything with white arrow connectors? Perhaps look into something more in tune to the map.

I like the way it is coming along! I look forward to being able to play on it!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby reverend_kyle on Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:09 pm

haha wrote:well thats only some people but there r people who clean up after the eligal imgrants
was that in response to his literacy statement? He was mocking you, you know that? Right
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Marvaddin on Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:12 pm

About the bonuses, I believe Texas should have the same of Voodoo and Silicon (probably 6). And Old New England and even Aquaria could have a bonus of 4 (3 with the penalty) Aquaria is not that easy to hold, and ONE has 6 countries, so...
Major Marvaddin

Postby reverend_kyle on Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:30 pm

Marvaddin wrote:About the bonuses, I believe Texas should have the same of Voodoo and Silicon (probably 6). And Old New England and even Aquaria could have a bonus of 4 (3 with the penalty) Aquaria is not that easy to hold, and ONE has 6 countries, so...
I would have to disagree with all of that. I like his current.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby gavin_sidhu on Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:49 am

maybe u should put negatives for owning 5 or more radiations. This would be a negative to a player who was dominating the game and give change to the weaker players.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas