Conquer Club

Eurasia [Map Pack]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Eurasia [Map Pack]

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:57 am

Beta - Quenching

---The Final Forge period has concluded for the Eurasia Map Pack. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand these maps with the Foundry Beta Brand. Let it be known that these maps are now ready for BETA Play. After an extended period of time in BETA and once all quirks and issues have been resolved, the maps will be put into Full Play (barring any Lack vetoes).

Conquer Club, enjoy!

While the maps are in BETA Play, there are a couple of administrative tasks that are required of the mapmaker(s) in addition to the initial gameplay testing:
    1. Please ensure that the first post of the thread contains all the necessary information to help future visitors to the development thread; it's particularly important to ensure the most recent images are there, along with any helpful guides (such as gameplay quirks/nuances or the location/size of any starting neutrals etc.)
    2. Finally, it is the responsibility of the mapmaker(s) to ensure that they respond to further feedback in a timely and constructive manner.

thenobodies80
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Pirlo on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:07 am

when is that? I wanna play!
Captain Pirlo

Postby Gilligan on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:08 am

Awwww yeah!! =D> =D> =D>
Captain Gilligan

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:38 am

Look forward to these!

Great work on 'em.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby The Bison King on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:50 am

preemptive IN
Sergeant 1st Class The Bison King

Postby chapcrap on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:17 am

Dibs on the first game. :)
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Baron Von PWN on Wed May 02, 2012 5:05 am

I would also like an invite to the first game!
Sergeant 1st Class Baron Von PWN

Postby Gilligan on Wed May 02, 2012 6:03 pm

Eurasia has got to be THE most beautiful map on the site.

Congrats natty, this was a job extremely well done. =D> =D>
Captain Gilligan

Postby grifftron on Thu May 03, 2012 2:25 am

2 more great maps racked up on nattys wall. good job natty, and thanks for the all the fun maps and making this site enjoyable.
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Pirlo on Thu May 03, 2012 3:43 am

Thank you Natty.. you are my sweetheart <3
Captain Pirlo

Postby natty dread on Thu May 03, 2012 6:33 am

I'm too lazy to send invites or remember who all wanted to get in a game, so here's an 8-player game, first come first served.

Password eurasia

Game 11045339

If necessary I'll create another one.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Baron Von PWN on Thu May 03, 2012 8:17 am

Central Europe bonus isn't being awarded.

Postby natty dread on Thu May 03, 2012 8:23 am

Are you holding Italy?

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu May 03, 2012 8:46 am

Nice to see these up for BETA, I've got a Mini game going.

--Andy

Postby Uncle Death on Thu May 03, 2012 2:35 pm

Don't play the big map with trench and 2 players. First player to go will win. It's a great map and I'll be playing many more without trench.
Captain Uncle Death

Postby natty dread on Thu May 03, 2012 2:42 pm

Uncle Death wrote:Don't play the big map with trench and 2 players. First player to go will win.

Why is that? Are you sure you didn't just have bad luck (or good luck, if it was you who won)? Not that I don't believe you or anything, I'm just curious about why that would be.

On a side note, this is exactly why I think it'd be better for lackattack to concentrate more on new XML features rather than new game options - every new game option brings more things for mapmakers to take in consideration, and soon it's going to be pretty much impossible to make an interesting and original map that is also balanced on all game types. So I for one am going to just ignore these novelty game modes like nuclear and trench, if my map works on them good, if not, I won't lose sleep over it.

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu May 03, 2012 2:48 pm

I'll try a game on the Big Eurasia soon, but I will say from the public support and enthusiasm, Trench doesn't seem to be a novelty! :) However, XML updates can definitely enhance game experiences in ways that a site-wide feature cannot.

--Andy

Postby Pirlo on Thu May 03, 2012 2:51 pm

natty dread wrote:
Uncle Death wrote:Don't play the big map with trench and 2 players. First player to go will win.

Why is that? Are you sure you didn't just have bad luck (or good luck, if it was you who won)? Not that I don't believe you or anything, I'm just curious about why that would be.

On a side note, this is exactly why I think it'd be better for lackattack to concentrate more on new XML features rather than new game options - every new game option brings more things for mapmakers to take in consideration, and soon it's going to be pretty much impossible to make an interesting and original map that is also balanced on all game types. So I for one am going to just ignore these novelty game modes like nuclear and trench, if my map works on them good, if not, I won't lose sleep over it.

Can you briefly explain what XML exactly mean? Just asking, and pardon my ignorance!

Thanks
Captain Pirlo

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu May 03, 2012 2:55 pm

Pirlo wrote:
Can you briefly explain what XML exactly mean? Just asking, and pardon my ignorance!

Thanks

This guide for writing XML might be helpful to peruse: viewtopic.php?f=649&t=23382

XML is made up of tags. Tags let the game engine know which information means what. Tags are surrounded with <angled brackets> and come in pairs – one for <opening> and one for </closing>...

XML allows for specifying bonus zones, or bombardments, or decay regions or killer neutrals, all those types of map elements!

--Andy

Postby Pirlo on Thu May 03, 2012 3:00 pm

Thanks
Captain Pirlo

Postby Baron Von PWN on Thu May 03, 2012 3:05 pm

natty dread wrote:Are you holding Italy?

Nope!, I'm a big derp.

Postby Uncle Death on Thu May 03, 2012 3:58 pm

natty dread wrote:

It seemed that with trench it was too hard to overcome the bonus the first player received, however, because the map is so big I've actually made a comeback by concentrating on getting my own bonuses rather than disrupting the enemies.
Captain Uncle Death

Postby Pirlo on Thu May 03, 2012 4:03 pm

Uncle Death wrote:It seemed that with trench it was too hard to overcome the bonus the first player received, however, because the map is so big I've actually made a comeback by concentrating on getting my own bonuses rather than disrupting the enemies.

This is my key and first theory with which I came up after playing a trench game! :mrgreen:

P.S. Map size doesn't matter much btw. just don't bother to break an unbreakable thing and work on having your own. opponent's big deployment is not very effective with his attacks being restricted as well!
Captain Pirlo

Postby DiM on Thu May 03, 2012 4:09 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I'll try a game on the Big Eurasia soon, but I will say from the public support and enthusiasm, Trench doesn't seem to be a novelty! :) However, XML updates can definitely enhance game experiences in ways that a site-wide feature cannot.

--Andy

of all the possible gameplay updates that have been suggested trench is probably the least popular. there are some xml suggestions that would revolutionize mapmaking. trench is a niche thing that affects maybe a few dozen people. the rest will probably try it a few times than give up.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri May 04, 2012 9:38 am

DiM wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:I'll try a game on the Big Eurasia soon, but I will say from the public support and enthusiasm, Trench doesn't seem to be a novelty! :) However, XML updates can definitely enhance game experiences in ways that a site-wide feature cannot.

--Andy

of all the possible gameplay updates that have been suggested trench is probably the least popular. there are some xml suggestions that would revolutionize mapmaking. trench is a niche thing that affects maybe a few dozen people. the rest will probably try it a few times than give up.

We can agree to disagree, DiM, since I know you won't ever be won over. ;)

Let's move the discussion to a different topic, and not clog up Natty Dread's map topic.

--Andy

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas