Conquer Club

Circus Maximus [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Jota on Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:53 am

I know this is wrong of me. But the parts of my brain driven by narrative causality and what I've been trained to perceive as dramatic are insisting that the crashed chariot ought to be engulfed in a large fireball.

Possibly with a single flaming chariot-wheel rolling out of it.

I apologize for this.

[Edit: I like the legend better without the blurring.]
Last edited by Jota on Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby rocksolid on Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:03 pm

A worthy 400th post, Jota.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:14 pm

Well it's nice to see the map coming along!

---I finally like what you have done with the crowd. To me it feels more like a roaring crowd cheering for blood rather than a soft pillowy carpet cheering for cleaning sprays.

---I'd have to agree that the wreck looks a little weird. Perhaps if you make it slightly more identifiable, (I.E. maybe a chariot wheel spinning off, etc). But the racers are coming along in a rather unique fashion, though I notice it looks like you flip flopped the top chariots with the bottom ones. Maybe instead of just inversing them, is it possible to change the order so it feels like completely different racers rather than a mirror image of them?

---The names are as good as they are going to get I think, though the coin still seems like a pasted image. Perhaps adding more depth to the ridge and rim of it would be something to look into.

---As for the marble, I rather like the blurred effect, though previous entry before it is also fine. Perhaps just my eye's personal preference.

---I'd push again for more distinct areas in the sand/dirt, but you already commented on that so I won't pursue it any more (though it would be nice... ;))

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby haha on Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:37 pm

there no way u can get more then 3 men a turn maby each arow should be a contrie
Brigadier haha

Postby fluffybunnykins on Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:28 pm

I like it, when do we get to try it?
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Postby barbu1977 on Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:50 am

rocksolid wrote:Yes, the racers were all in the inside lanes, which is of course where they would try to be in a race. Unfortunately, because of the confusion that was tied to my attempt at staggering the lane lengths to make it tactically more advantageous to take the inner lane on the map, it's hard to mirror this in gameplay without bonuses, which I'd like to avoid. So I've tried to embrace the fiction that racers would actually go to the outside and moved a few of them out. That's also part of why I wanted the wreck in there - to justify pushing some racers outside who need to go around it - kind of like you avoiding an opponent's large army buildup sitting still on the inside track.

How about this to force the players to take the inside lane:
From Cailgula to Diocletian and from Honorius to Imperius, you canot move diagonaly towards the inner lanes?
Lieutenant barbu1977

Postby spiesr on Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:00 am

barbu1977 wrote:
rocksolid wrote:Yes, the racers were all in the inside lanes, which is of course where they would try to be in a race. Unfortunately, because of the confusion that was tied to my attempt at staggering the lane lengths to make it tactically more advantageous to take the inner lane on the map, it's hard to mirror this in gameplay without bonuses, which I'd like to avoid. So I've tried to embrace the fiction that racers would actually go to the outside and moved a few of them out. That's also part of why I wanted the wreck in there - to justify pushing some racers outside who need to go around it - kind of like you avoiding an opponent's large army buildup sitting still on the inside track.

How about this to force the players to take the inside lane:
From Cailgula to Diocletian and from Honorius to Imperius, you canot move diagonaly towards the inner lanes?

How about not...
Captain spiesr

Postby rocksolid on Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:04 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, barbu...I think I'll keep it simple, as I think in real gameplay the dodging between lanes will happen naturally, as there won't be any strategic value to staying in the same lane.

Another iteration...wreck changed a bit (that's supposed to be a wheel lying there behind), coin image tinkered a little.

Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:12 pm

Final Forge

---The Circus Maximus Map has reached the ā€˜Final Forgeā€™ Stage. I've revived this thread from the pits of the Foundry furnace and have examined the contents. Nearly every major concern has been addressed. If there are any other current concerns, please make your voice heard. There will be two days for you to post any objections; if no one hasposted any protest after two days the map will be deemed finished with the 'Foundry Brand' of approval and will be submitted for live play. If after two days there is still discussion going on it may continue until said discussion has reached the conclusion that the map has reached its final and polished version.

Post questions and concerns if any.

--Andy

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:17 pm

And to start things off...

---Anyone else notice some purple splotches on some of the chartioteers? And the botton ones look a little odd for some reason. And still not too fond of the wreck in its current state.

---Also the coin is looking better, though maybe soften the edges of it.

---Lastly, the rim around the outer track, seperating the race field and the audience, looks like it could be worked on. Really only a minor thing.

--Andy

Postby Marvaddin on Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:47 pm

I agree with all Andy said. And I think you should avoid chariots over the borders...

But Im worried about no cards games. Will anything warn this map is not designed to them? Or should the option be blocked when you click the map (and if you choose another map, click no cards, then change to it, maybe he should change for escalating by default...)?
Major Marvaddin

Postby rocksolid on Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:38 am

I was wondering about this...haven't heard from Lack on it, but I doubt he'll want to go further than a warning, if that, as he probably won't want to forcibly restrict what players can do. For example, I think a no-cards triples games might actually be quite good, though a no-cards singles game would be very boring; and even if you don't agree, I'm sure there would be players who would want to play triples-no-cards on this map. But I think a warning would be a good idea (e.g. under the map name in 8-pt on the start a game page: Standard-no cards games not recommended for this map) if Lack isn't concerned it would break the aesthetic of the start a game page.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby Jota on Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:09 pm

Enh, I figure anyone who's played a game or two on the map will have a good enough idea of whether or not they want to try a cardless match. No need for an explicit warning. To be honest, if a warning were needed anywhere, I'd put it on the Join page, since it'd be easier to accidentally jump into one without noticing the parameters.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:15 pm

rocksolid wrote: I was wondering about this...haven't heard from Lack on it, but I doubt he'll want to go further than a warning, if that, as he probably won't want to forcibly restrict what players can do.

I've spoken with Lack about it...
lackattack wrote: Limiting game options would be work that could go on the to-do list if it would make a terrific map work properly. Otherwise it's not happening.

So there is your answer regarding that...

--Andy

Postby rocksolid on Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:16 pm

Yeah, though a lot of people join games without knowing the map - some do it without even checking what map it is - that would be the best place for a caution.

Andy - I didn't think he'd be into limiting game options, but did he say anything about a warning? I'm all for full steam ahead in any case, but am curious to know.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby qeee1 on Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:18 pm

A no cards game would NEVER end. Good work on the map up 'till now, looks nice.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby rocksolid on Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:36 pm

Okay:

Coin tinkered, palisade (fence between crowd and race) tinkered, wreck heavily altered, charioteers messed with. I tried to avoid charioteers on the borders, but some of them are overlapping images (not layers) that wanted to stay together and spanned the borders - I'm not that concerned about it because since all the territories are standardized, I don't think any confusion will result.

Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby fluffybunnykins on Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:42 pm

s'all good
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:59 pm

---I'm not sure, but I think I see purple splotches on the Asclepivs charioteers.

---And is that dust around the wreck, the white blotchiness?

--Andy

Postby rocksolid on Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:31 pm

Meant to be dust, yeah - in lieu of Jota's requested ball of flame. And due to enjoying special imperial approval, the Asclepius charioteers are indeed riding purple chariots.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:35 pm

---Hehe, imperial? Mmhm, yeah....Looks plain weird. ;)

---And the dust looks more like someone spilt milk on your map... **Cry :cry: **
(hehehe)

--Andy

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:20 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:---Hehe, imperial? Mmhm, yeah....Looks plain weird. ;)

---And the dust looks more like someone spilt milk on your map... **Cry :cry: **
(hehehe)

--Andy
I am going to have to agree about the milk on the map thing. Although i like the idea of dust.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby spiesr on Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:59 pm

reverend_kyle wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:---Hehe, imperial? Mmhm, yeah....Looks plain weird. ;)

(hehehe)

--Andy
I am going to have to agree about the milk on the map thing. Although i like the idea of dust.

mmm...milk
Dust???
Captain spiesr

Postby qeee1 on Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:04 pm

Yeah, t does look like somthing was spilled. Milk wasn't the first thing that popped into my head, but either way should be changed I think...
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby rocksolid on Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:24 pm

Saw it on another monitor and it looked much worse than it does here at home. I'll change it. And the purple looked splotchy, too. On my screen it looks fine...maybe I should get another screen.
Lieutenant rocksolid

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas