Conquer Club

Map Foundry Gallery

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Map Foundry Gallery

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:51 am

cairnswk wrote:tnb80, do you have access to chipv's database portal?
I know i have completed many more descriptions etc in there than are completed in your Gallery. Das ScloB, Rail Europe, Jamaica and Forbidden City are a couple i am certain were completed, and i know other mapmakers had completed their's also. Perhaps yopu are still in the process of migrating this over - yes?

No, it was the first thing i tried to do when i started this thing.
Unfortunately I have no way to see it nor to contact chipv...i think that the portal is dead and all the data we put in to it lost. :(

cairnswk wrote:although i think i had trouble getting one of the complexity ratings to work on Canada, British Isles)

Fixed, thanks for spotting them! ;)

cairnswk wrote:1. i think the images are too big, especially since you can click on them and get the larger version anyways
2. I won't go to the Rating's index again...it takes forever to download all those images - i really think this needs to be re-worked into something more manageable for download bytage and easier access.

As said, it's not done for small monitors. I wanted to implement medium size images because it gives you a real preview of the map, more than a small thumbnail or a dropdown list.
About the gallery Index, you don't need to visit it....I added the button on the gallery map pages exactly for that reason. But I don't understand why take so long to load the images, maybe your connetion is really slow. I've also added a javascript to load the images only when displayed exactly to not slow too much the page.

greenoaks wrote:i think the concept of this is good but have no interest in helping with it as that discourages lack from implementing it

I think that instead this could push lack for the opposite, lately there's too much pessimism around on this site..... Anyway thanks, I'm happy you think it's a good thing.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Flapcake on Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:11 am

really good job done thenobodies80 =D> this would be nice see integrated in the frontpage of CC, maby in the menu of "Interaction" ?
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:14 am

thenobodies80 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:tnb80, do you have access to chipv's database portal?
I know i have completed many more descriptions etc in there than are completed in your Gallery. Das ScloB, Rail Europe, Jamaica and Forbidden City are a couple i am certain were completed, and i know other mapmakers had completed their's also. Perhaps yopu are still in the process of migrating this over - yes?

No, it was the first thing i tried to do when i started this thing.
Unfortunately I have no way to see it nor to contact chipv...i think that the portal is dead and all the data we put in to it lost. :(

OK i'll get onto them all
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby CJ Lues on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:39 am

Excellent Job guys!!!! =D> =D> =D> Bravo!

One minor mistake i saw, in the Rating page, New York City's name is "WWII "Gazala"... but sure it can be easily fixed.

Well done again!

-CJ-
Sergeant CJ Lues

Location: I love a good plan, and i just love it when a plan comes together!

Postby Ffraid on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:24 am

Wow, nice work nobodies! I used chipv's map database whenever I wanted to play a new map and have really missed it. This looks great.
Colonel Ffraid

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:40 am

Lack is watching the Gallery closely, and has already communicated some improvements to thenobodies80 I believe that could be done so we could investigate more about integrating something like this into the website.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Gillipig on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:19 pm

You sneaky lizard nobodies :P! I like it a lot :)! Especially if it'll be linked in the game finder menu. It could turn into a very useful tool if it also helped categorize maps after complexity (as voted by the players).
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby DiM on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:36 pm

Gillipig wrote:if it also helped categorize maps after complexity (as voted by the players).

too bad some people don't vote on complexity like they should. i've seen simple straightforward maps rated 5 stars.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Sniper08 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:49 pm

DiM wrote:
Gillipig wrote:if it also helped categorize maps after complexity (as voted by the players).

too bad some people don't vote on complexity like they should. i've seen simple straightforward maps rated 5 stars.

people always think 5 stars is better, they like a map they rate everything 5 stars which is stupid.

its a shame this wasnt done as a feature of the site, there is far too many add-ons around lack should seriously start converting some of them to on the site.
Colonel Sniper08
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Gillipig on Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:05 pm

DiM wrote:

I voted on almost all maps myself and didn't notice many ratings that were way off. And when it was it was because only 1 or 2 had voted on it. I think when we get more players to vote this won't be an issue.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby army of nobunaga on Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:34 pm

Nice work and thank you for all the time this took.

I would suggest (though I know it is too late) that complexity be defined or refined.

Some maps are incredibly deep in game play because they are wide open with a few well placed bombardments and high neutrals (for example), and then some maps read like darn heiroglyphics.

So Complexity can be both a positive and a negative. I myself am not even sure what you are looking for in that catagory.

One other thing I would do (not too late for this) Make a 'view' that is non-graphical. For many of us, we know the maps WELL, we do not need the graphics, laying it out on a line by line basis would save a lot of time.

Ok one last thing, I would talk lack into making this tied to a medal or achievement... Everyone gets a gen contribution award if they rank every map they are cross-mapped in.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:24 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Lack is watching the Gallery closely, and has already communicated some improvements to thenobodies80 I believe that could be done so we could investigate more about integrating something like this into the website.

--Andy

NIce, now that's entirely positive :)
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:31 pm

cairnswk wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Lack is watching the Gallery closely, and has already communicated some improvements to thenobodies80 I believe that could be done so we could investigate more about integrating something like this into the website.

--Andy

NIce, now that's entirely positive :)

positive? what's positive about that?

new xml features were promised to be implemented "within a few months" and yet years have passed and those promises haven't been honoured.

so saying "we could investigate more about integrating something like this into the website" is just a polite way of saying "we'll never have such a thing on CC"
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:00 pm

^^^ Oh yea of little faith!
Of course its positive now by making that statement, it only becomes negative if nothing gets done. ;)
Last edited by cairnswk on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby army of nobunaga on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:22 pm

Well DiM.. while I agree with you, I see a bunch of guys that worked their asses off here to do something positive with little reward. I cannot get negative in this thread. Until lack sees loss of revenues that are substantial I believe that it will be the community that does stuff like this. IT is what it is.

But I do agree with you.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby ender516 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:00 am

I have found limited access to a snapshot of chipv's Map Database via the Wayback Machine. Go to http://web.archive.org , enter http://chipv.freehostia.com/ in the search field and press the Take Me Back button. The snapshot does not give you everything, but there is some information that can be recovered.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby cairnswk on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:42 am

ender516 wrote:I have found limited access to a snapshot of chipv's Map Database via the Wayback Machine. Go to http://web.archive.org , enter http://chipv.freehostia.com/ in the search field and press the Take Me Back button. The snapshot does not give you everything, but there is some information that can be recovered.

You are my new knight in shining armour ender516. o/\o
=D> =D>
I found all the stuff about features that i was wanting right up to before Stalingrad - only have to re-do descriptions for some of them. Yeehah!!
Private cairnswk

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:57 am

ender516 wrote:I have found limited access to a snapshot of chipv's Map Database via the Wayback Machine. Go to http://web.archive.org , enter http://chipv.freehostia.com/ in the search field and press the Take Me Back button. The snapshot does not give you everything, but there is some information that can be recovered.

Wow! Great. Thank you very much. :D

Postby ender516 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:44 am

Happy to help. It would be a shame for all that information to have been lost.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby cairnswk on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:49 am

ender516 wrote:Happy to help. It would be a shame for all that information to have been lost.

Exactly, that why i am now making my own copy in spreadsheet of my stuff.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:00 pm

tnb80, here are my additions and adjustments in the attached text file.
Attachments
description adjustments submitted 20 Apr 2012.txt
(5.17 KiB) Downloaded 1062 times
Last edited by cairnswk on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby bedub1 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:11 pm

I posted this as a suggestion years ago. Glad to see somebody did it, even though CC didn't. It's good work, but not nearly where it could be if it was integrated into the site properly. Just goes to show that the best part of CC isn't CC, it's the add-ons. Without the add-ons, CC is a waste of time. Well, okay, it's a waste of time anyway.
Colonel bedub1

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:36 am

cairnswk wrote:tnb80, here are my additions and adjustments in the attached text file.

Thanks, going to update the data. :)

If someone else find something wrong or soemthing that can be updated, please post here.
I consider the current version like a Beta version, so all contributes to refine/improve it are really welcome! :)

Postby x-raider on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:26 am

Thanks a heap for making this.
Nice background btw.
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe

Postby bedub1 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:38 pm

Your pages should be linked to here:
And should also be linked here:
And should replace this:
Click image to enlarge.

It should be the most prominent part of CC when new visitors come to the site. The maps make the game. The gameplay styles determine how you play the game on the maps. I can't believe this information is buried so far down.

You should include links to the forums where the maps where developed.
You should include basic strategy on the maps so n00bs don't get farmed.
I think it would be cool if there was a page like the current "browse maps" page that shows all the maps at once.
Colonel bedub1

Next

Return to The Atlas