Page 9 of 12

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:21 pm
by jigger1986
Just want to say koodos on some great maps. Played several games on Vertex, only a couple on Austrum, but I think they are both great!

I would really like to see a third added to the set, and perhaps a supersize maps where they are all linked somehow?

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:09 pm
by koontz1973
perchorin wrote: I do have to say though that I find the font you've used for the legend (while quite attractive) is terribly difficult to read.

As I said to ManB a few pages back as well, the font fits the map. If it is a choice of another font that is easier to read and lose some of the style, I will choose the font used. It may be hard, but not imposable.
jigger1986 wrote:I would really like to see a third added to the set, and perhaps a supersize maps where they are all linked somehow?

My plan has always been to do the next 2/3 maps running around the equator. I have started on the first one but wanted to see how these a liked first.
betiko wrote:Haven t tried austrum yet but I m playing a few vertex and I like it with its original bonus.

Great to hear. I am getting the same in games.

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:24 pm
by perchorin
koontz1973 wrote:
perchorin wrote: I do have to say though that I find the font you've used for the legend (while quite attractive) is terribly difficult to read.

As I said to ManB a few pages back as well, the font fits the map. If it is a choice of another font that is easier to read and lose some of the style, I will choose the font used. It may be hard, but not imposable.

I have to disagree. I asked my wife to have a look. She's Korean but her English ability is quite high and it was impossible for her to read the legend. I realize it's likely a small percentage of CC players who's native language uses a a non-Roman alphabet but it seems to me quite unfair to write a legend on a map that isn't decipherable to all players. How is that particular font so integral to the map anyway?

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:30 pm
by koontz1973
perchorin wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:
perchorin wrote: I do have to say though that I find the font you've used for the legend (while quite attractive) is terribly difficult to read.

As I said to ManB a few pages back as well, the font fits the map. If it is a choice of another font that is easier to read and lose some of the style, I will choose the font used. It may be hard, but not imposable.

I have to disagree. I asked my wife to have a look. She's Korean but her English ability is quite high and it was impossible for her to read the legend. I realize it's likely a small percentage of CC players who's native language uses a a non-Roman alphabet but it seems to me quite unfair to write a legend on a map that isn't decipherable to all players. How is that particular font so integral to the map anyway?

Can your wife read the legend on the large map?

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:32 am
by perchorin
koontz1973 wrote:
perchorin wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:
perchorin wrote: I do have to say though that I find the font you've used for the legend (while quite attractive) is terribly difficult to read.

As I said to ManB a few pages back as well, the font fits the map. If it is a choice of another font that is easier to read and lose some of the style, I will choose the font used. It may be hard, but not imposable.

I have to disagree. I asked my wife to have a look. She's Korean but her English ability is quite high and it was impossible for her to read the legend. I realize it's likely a small percentage of CC players who's native language uses a a non-Roman alphabet but it seems to me quite unfair to write a legend on a map that isn't decipherable to all players. How is that particular font so integral to the map anyway?

Can your wife read the legend on the large map?

Not well enough to understand what it says. She can make out a few words but not enough of them to put it all together. When I told her the first word in the upper right was "Hold" she thought I was pulling her leg.

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:41 am
by koontz1973
perchorin wrote:Not well enough to understand what it says. She can make out a few words but not enough of them to put it all together. When I told her the first word in the upper right was "Hold" she thought I was pulling her leg.

:lol:

Will have a look for you then.

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:44 am
by perchorin
koontz1973 wrote:
perchorin wrote:Not well enough to understand what it says. She can make out a few words but not enough of them to put it all together. When I told her the first word in the upper right was "Hold" she thought I was pulling her leg.

:lol:

Will have a look for you then.

I appreciate it!

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:11 am
by Gilligan
perchorin wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:
perchorin wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:
perchorin wrote: I do have to say though that I find the font you've used for the legend (while quite attractive) is terribly difficult to read.

As I said to ManB a few pages back as well, the font fits the map. If it is a choice of another font that is easier to read and lose some of the style, I will choose the font used. It may be hard, but not imposable.

I have to disagree. I asked my wife to have a look. She's Korean but her English ability is quite high and it was impossible for her to read the legend. I realize it's likely a small percentage of CC players who's native language uses a a non-Roman alphabet but it seems to me quite unfair to write a legend on a map that isn't decipherable to all players. How is that particular font so integral to the map anyway?

Can your wife read the legend on the large map?

Not well enough to understand what it says. She can make out a few words but not enough of them to put it all together. When I told her the first word in the upper right was "Hold" she thought I was pulling her leg.


Were you actually? :shock:

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:50 pm
by whakamole
issue observed in Austrum Game 12647565... pretty sure i meet conditions for a bonus holding andros-sarnia-thasos-melite but the +1 does not show up? code problem or am i not interpreting the map correctly?

thx.

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:35 pm
by nolefan5311
whakamole wrote:issue observed in Austrum Game 12647565... pretty sure i meet conditions for a bonus holding andros-sarnia-thasos-melite but the +1 does not show up? code problem or am i not interpreting the map correctly?

thx.


It looks like this will need to fixed in the XML

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:01 pm
by SimplyObsessed
I'm enjoying this map a lot

Thanks to all who put the effort into it! =D>

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:22 am
by puppydog85
Is there any chance that a +3 start bonus could be fixed? Game 12664636, bit of an unfair start advantage.

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:52 am
by isaiah40
puppydog85 wrote:Is there any chance that a +3 start bonus could be fixed? Game 12664636, bit of an unfair start advantage.

I believe the xml is being worked on.

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:53 am
by koontz1973
Will post it in a hour or two.

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:53 am
by Swifte
Issue with bonus on vertex... I believe I am due one for the lower right connection of 4 but am not receiving one. Receiving 4 for 13 regions, no bonus.

Click image to enlarge.
image

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:56 am
by koontz1973
fixing now.

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:33 am
by SirSebstar
formal suggestion
remove the connecting territ bonus and make it a territory bonus.
reason: its difficult to reach area's and totally to break it. larger continents give a reasonable bonus dispite being unchallangeable in the first few rounds(where it matters)
make a continent bonus will slightly reduce this and redress the situation.
for continent bonusses you can thing of somewhere in the range of +2 to +4. I would suggest setteling on +2 (or 3) for every continent, the smaller continents are more difficult to hold, the bigger continents are... bigger and therefor harder to achieve...

other idea's
:to make the noth and south connect via the compas thingie(south territ needs to be elongated slightly to fit) and also the east and west connect.
this makes reaching around slightly easyer because right now if someone gets an early hold somewhere, its hard to challange it.

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:03 am
by koontz1973
whakamole wrote:issue observed in Austrum Game 12647565... pretty sure i meet conditions for a bonus holding andros-sarnia-thasos-melite but the +1 does not show up? code problem or am i not interpreting the map correctly?

thx.

Fixed.
Swifte wrote:Issue with bonus on vertex... I believe I am due one for the lower right connection of 4 but am not receiving one. Receiving 4 for 13 regions, no bonus.

fixed.
puppydog85 wrote:Is there any chance that a +3 start bonus could be fixed? Game 12664636, bit of an unfair start advantage.

I have no idea how this happened. Random drop and all that. But to get a drop of 6 regions out of 14 in one bonus area and all connected. The odds must be ludicrous. Not done anything to fix this issue.
Maps coming. I am having trouble finding a font I like.
V3.xml
(22.93 KiB) Downloaded 159 times

AU3.xml
(22.63 KiB) Downloaded 180 times

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:05 am
by koontz1973
SirSebstar wrote:formal suggestion
remove the connecting territ bonus and make it a territory bonus.
reason: its difficult to reach area's and totally to break it. larger continents give a reasonable bonus dispite being unchallangeable in the first few rounds(where it matters)
make a continent bonus will slightly reduce this and redress the situation.
for continent bonusses you can thing of somewhere in the range of +2 to +4. I would suggest setteling on +2 (or 3) for every continent, the smaller continents are more difficult to hold, the bigger continents are... bigger and therefor harder to achieve...

other idea's
:to make the noth and south connect via the compas thingie(south territ needs to be elongated slightly to fit) and also the east and west connect.
this makes reaching around slightly easyer because right now if someone gets an early hold somewhere, its hard to challange it.

That is a huge overhaul of the map. Too early to see if what SirSebstar point is valid. Not going to reject it but will wait for at least a month till I look at it more carefully.

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta new xml file pg15

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:37 pm
by SirSebstar
understandable

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta new xml file pg15

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:37 pm
by koontz1973
SirSebstar wrote:understandable

Thanks for understanding. People seem to like the new bonus structure, I am just trying to find out why now. If it is easier to get and hold, that is fine, but if members are abusing it in a way I did not see, that is not.

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta new xml file pg15

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:45 pm
by isaiah40
Files sent. :)

Vertex Suggestion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:18 am
by tallcraigcs
Hey playing the vertex map now... love it... real fun... can you change the scripts in the corners tho... make them a little easier to read... thanks for the great map

Re: Vertex Suggestion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:45 am
by koontz1973
tallcraigcs wrote:Hey playing the vertex map now... love it... real fun... can you change the scripts in the corners tho... make them a little easier to read... thanks for the great map

I am in the process of doing that. I just cannot find a font I like. As soon as I do, I will post new maps.

Re: Vertex/Austrum [1/12] [24/3] Beta new xml file pg15

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:11 pm
by EBConquer
Hey Koontz,

Quick question cause not sure if i'm not reading the board correctly but figured i'd bring it up and also not sure if it's been addressed.

I had Dominica, Antikythera, Carlt. then in the SW; Syros, Cauda, Delos, Anticosti but only dropped 3. Should i have dropped 4?

anyway, thought i'd bring it to your attention. Great job on that map btw... looks like it's going to be a fun one!

Game 12650871


Edit: also, now that i got Spetemtriones and Dode... looks like the bonuses added up. err, i think.