Conquer Club

WWII Pearl Harbor - [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 20, 2007 3:51 pm

Steel Panzer wrote:the update looks fantastic.
Thanks Steel Panzer...glad you like it. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 20, 2007 3:53 pm

qwert wrote:well i must say that these map is far better then yours first map of pacific. :wink:

Qwert...you're here...thanks for dropping in....and your kind comments...of course Qwert they are two different maps in two different styles
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 20, 2007 3:55 pm

benjikat wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
benjikat wrote:Another small thing - the Hangers should be Hangars

thanks benjikat...you're correct....well in all these years i never spelt it that way. Go figure! :)

You've still missed the fourth one though....

Bugger...Sink me!....if I were a battleship i'd forget to drag the stern along. Thanks benjikat....fixed below.

Private cairnswk

Postby benjikat on Sun May 20, 2007 4:03 pm

except it's not... lol ...

BTW like the way this map is developing.
Sergeant 1st Class benjikat

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 20, 2007 4:06 pm

benjikat wrote:except it's not... lol ...

BTW like the way this map is developing.
kewl...thanks! :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Wisse on Sun May 20, 2007 4:10 pm

i like your style of map making :)
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 20, 2007 4:12 pm

Wisse wrote:i like your style of map making :)

Thanks Wisse...that a very welcome comment. :D
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Sun May 20, 2007 9:01 pm

i understood the red bottom part is suposed to represent flames and battle and stuff. i tried ignoring it but it did not work. i tried accepting it as it is and that failed too. the darn thing looks like a train in the sunset and it bugs the heck out of me. i can't possibly think how could a train in the sunset be representative for pearl harbour :roll:

also one more issue. in the pearl harbour battle we had 2 sides japan vs US. well this 2 sides thing is not clearly visible on the map. for example in d-day r eastern front the 2 sides are very clearly depicted. can something be done? it's not a big issue. i guess it's just a psichological matter
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Mon May 21, 2007 3:37 am

Didn't that yanks have any planes at PH?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cairnswk on Mon May 21, 2007 4:19 am

yeti_c wrote:Didn't that yanks have any planes at PH?
C.
well yes...but during the intial stages of the attack most of their planes got slaughtered on the ford island airfield, and their other airfields away from pearl harbor couldn't get their planes off the ground until it was too late. that's why there are no us planes in this scenario. the ones on the ford island runway are repesented by the stars in the background, as these are the ones that got destroyed very quickly.
Private cairnswk

Postby yeti_c on Mon May 21, 2007 4:29 am

cairnswk wrote:
C.
well yes...but during the intial stages of the attack most of their planes got slaughtered on the ford island airfield, and their other airfields away from pearl harbor couldn't get their planes off the ground until it was too late. that's why there are no us planes in this scenario. the ones on the ford island runway are repesented by the stars in the background, as these are the ones that got destroyed very quickly.

OK... sounds good to me...

What about subs from either side?

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cairnswk on Mon May 21, 2007 4:47 am

yeti_c wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
C.

OK... sounds good to me...
What about subs from either side?
C.

Yes again C. ...
see timeline here: http://plasma.nationalgeographic.com/pearlharbor/
the first attack or should I say raise of the alarm occured at the harbor entrance some several hours before the attack. Submarine persiscope was sighted. There were 4 submaries in harbor near where the word Honolulu is, and i deliberately didn't put these in as I don't think they suffered too much damage, and it would be cramped there for space.
There was one JN sub attacked in the harbor, but i chose again to deliberately leave this out.
Private cairnswk

Postby yeti_c on Mon May 21, 2007 5:07 am

OK... I was unsure on some stuff - glad to hear you've researched it fully.

Interesting NG presentation.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

V5 Update

Postby cairnswk on Mon May 21, 2007 5:10 am

DiM wrote:i understood the red bottom part is suposed to represent flames and battle and stuff. i tried ignoring it but it did not work. i tried accepting it as it is and that failed too. the darn thing looks like a train in the sunset and it bugs the heck out of me. i can't possibly think how could a train in the sunset be representative for pearl harbour :roll:

no not a train DiM - you know that is another map....but i have changed the image and hope this one has more appeal, also change the colours to make them less outstanding.

also one more issue. in the pearl harbour battle we had 2 sides japan vs US. well this 2 sides thing is not clearly visible on the map. for example in d-day r eastern front the 2 sides are very clearly depicted. can something be done? it's not a big issue. i guess it's just a psichological matter

DiM...i don't really think this should be an issue. There is the US represented very well by the flag, and the stars on the runway if that isn't clear enough i'll be a monkies....
And since the japanes were involved, i thought the presentation of the Krates and Zeroes in colour would be enough of a represnetation, however, you have doubts...so i have added the rising sun in the top right corner faded in the background to indicate that this is NOT japanese soil. while it is i OK for someone else to represent two sides, don't think for an instance that I am going to follow the exmaples of Eastern Front, and there should be no reason why both sides have to be represented in such a manner. :lol:

Last edited by cairnswk on Mon May 21, 2007 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon May 21, 2007 5:16 am

yeti_c wrote:OK... I was unsure on some stuff - glad to hear you've researched it fully.

C.

Oh Yeti....i'm attemtping one of the most important maps in US and indeed war history here...I think I wouldn't be doing everyone out there justice if I didn't research it properly...even though for gameplay issues I have taken a llittle artistic license.
Yes it was an interesting presentation, very succinct.
Private cairnswk

Postby yeti_c on Mon May 21, 2007 5:58 am

cairnswk wrote:
yeti_c wrote:OK... I was unsure on some stuff - glad to hear you've researched it fully.

C.

Oh Yeti....i'm attemtping one of the most important maps in US and indeed war history here...I think I wouldn't be doing everyone out there justice if I didn't research it properly...even though for gameplay issues I have taken a llittle artistic license.

That's cool - I'm done with suggestions for the time being...

Altho perhaps this one - but might make it confusing... the planes and boats are attacking each other... perhaps make it so only boats can attack planes and vice versa?!

I'm not sure whether that would work or not though...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cairnswk on Mon May 21, 2007 6:20 am

yeti_c wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

C.

Altho perhaps this one - but might make it confusing... the planes and boats are attacking each other... perhaps make it so only boats can attack planes and vice versa?!

C.

I had thought of that...but in reality the guns on the boats were able to return fire on the planes, even though it kinda did them no good. I'll see if anyone else calls for that, and perhaps we can go there then. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby yeti_c on Mon May 21, 2007 6:54 am

cairnswk wrote:
yeti_c wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

C.

C.

I had thought of that...but in reality the guns on the boats were able to return fire on the planes, even though it kinda did them no good. I'll see if anyone else calls for that, and perhaps we can go there then. :)

No no - I think you mis understand...

At present you have planes attacking planes & ships attacking ships...

In reality Planes attacked Ships and the Ships (like you say) returned fire...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cairnswk on Mon May 21, 2007 7:02 am

yeti_c wrote:No no - I think you mis understand...
C.

Mmmmm. ok I understand what you say there, but how does one get around the whole map...the attack lines are surely a link between the different continents...don't you think?
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Private cairnswk

Re: V5 Update

Postby DiM on Mon May 21, 2007 7:08 am

cairnswk wrote:
DiM wrote:i understood the red bottom part is suposed to represent flames and battle and stuff. i tried ignoring it but it did not work. i tried accepting it as it is and that failed too. the darn thing looks like a train in the sunset and it bugs the heck out of me. i can't possibly think how could a train in the sunset be representative for pearl harbour :roll:

no not a train DiM - you know that is another map....but i have changed the image and hope this one has more appeal, also change the colours to make them less outstanding.

this one's much better. i can see the ships the ships on fire. it's great. but at least tell me what the other one was. i know it wasn;t a train but it sure looked like one. i think it was a subliminal message :P

cairnswk wrote:
DiM wrote:also one more issue. in the pearl harbour battle we had 2 sides japan vs US. well this 2 sides thing is not clearly visible on the map. for example in d-day r eastern front the 2 sides are very clearly depicted. can something be done? it's not a big issue. i guess it's just a psichological matter

DiM...i don't really think this should be an issue. There is the US represented very well by the flag, and the stars on the runway if that isn't clear enough i'll be a monkies....
And since the japanes were involved, i thought the presentation of the Krates and Zeroes in colour would be enough of a represnetation, however, you have doubts...so i have added the rising sun in the top right corner faded in the background to indicate that this is NOT japanese soil. while it is i OK for someone else to represent two sides, don't think for an instance that I am going to follow the exmaples of Eastern Front, and there should be no reason why both sides have to be represented in such a manner. :lol:

i love the japanese flag. i'm not saying you should copy the other maps each is unique but since this is a historical battle between 2 sides normally i expect to clearly see those sides.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Mon May 21, 2007 7:15 am

cairnswk wrote:
yeti_c wrote:No no - I think you mis understand...
C.

Mmmmm. ok I understand what you say there, but how does one get around the whole map...the attack lines are surely a link between the different continents...don't you think?
Any suggestions would be welcome.

Yeah that's the problem... that's why I wasn't sure it would work?!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cairnswk on Mon May 21, 2007 7:22 am

DiM wrote:this one's much better. i can see the ships the ships on fire. it's great. but at least tell me what the other one was. i know it wasn;t a train but it sure looked like one. i think it was a subliminal message :P

it was the bottom of this one....i wanted to use this whole image as a frame but it would make things so cramped....it just didn't work,,,and clearly if you weren't ab;e to recognise what it might be, then it didn't work anyways.

i love the japanese flag. i'm not saying you should copy the other maps each is unique but since this is a historical battle between 2 sides normally i expect to clearly see those sides.
fair enough. everyone has their own expectations.

I'm pleased that the changes have pleased you...you have no idea how that pleasing that is. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Mon May 21, 2007 8:18 am

cairnswk wrote:
DiM wrote:this one's much better. i can see the ships the ships on fire. it's great. but at least tell me what the other one was. i know it wasn;t a train but it sure looked like one. i think it was a subliminal message :P

it was the bottom of this one....i wanted to use this whole image as a frame but it would make things so cramped....it just didn't work,,,and clearly if you weren't ab;e to recognise what it might be, then it didn't work anyways.

fair enough. everyone has their own expectations.

I'm pleased that the changes have pleased you...you have no idea how that pleasing that is. :)

that bottom part sure looks like a train :lol:

i'm pleased that you're pleased that i'm pleased and the fact you are pleased pleases me.

](*,) :lol:
Major DiM

Postby hulmey on Mon May 21, 2007 9:41 am

I think you could alot better than this without all the confusing lines that go with the map. Maybe you could try something along the lines of mibi's D-day so that you can cut out all the confusing lines going all over the place.

Im not sure why it is but your maps all look like diagrams as well. Take note bottom right hand corner!!! The buildings there are i suppose meant to be 3-D but fail and look lopsided.
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby cairnswk on Mon May 21, 2007 3:10 pm

DiM wrote:that bottom part sure looks like a train :lol:

You're joking right?! :o
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas