Conquer Club

CCU [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby fluffybunnykins on Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:45 pm

uh-huh, so what is it? ;o)

(anyone ever watch Red Dwarf?)
Last edited by fluffybunnykins on Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Postby Jota on Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:55 pm

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. An academic institution sucks ignorance and stupidity out of the universe: a fraternity or sorority returns it.

(Possibly you're looking for the answer "shaped like the letters pi and lamda"?)
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby qeee1 on Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:37 pm

The font style is really hard to read particularly for the purple and brown buildings, I think that should be changed. Also have you experimented with colours other than grey and green... I don't like the grey, it looks kinda... off.

EDIT: You should go with the font style that you have for the top yellow building for all... if it works.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby Marvaddin on Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:15 am

Hmmm, I think it really doesnt look like one real college... We only have some names for departments, like Chemistry, but we cant see classrooms or labs, that occupy a great space in a real college, Im sure... And even the departments are only a little bigger than the cafeteria.

Well, I now think that maybe the problem cant be solved. I dislike the idea and would prefer to know your next project, Jota, probably a more interesting one.
Major Marvaddin

Postby Jota on Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:19 pm

I've taken the text styles that folks seemed to like best and made several variations on those:

There are five different styles going on right now; your continued feedback is appreciated.

I've also started to fancy up the buildings a bit.

qeee1 wrote:Also have you experimented with colours other than grey and green...

What did you have in mind?

Marvaddin wrote:We only have some names for departments, like Chemistry, but we cant see classrooms or labs, that occupy a great space in a real college, Im sure...

Yeah, that's one of the things I've had to stylize to make it work out as a Risk map.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:07 pm

Jota wrote:I've taken the text styles that folks seemed to like best and made several variations on those:

There are five different styles going on right now; your continued feedback is appreciated.

I've also started to fancy up the buildings a bit.

qeee1 wrote:Also have you experimented with colours other than grey and green...

What did you have in mind?

Marvaddin wrote:We only have some names for departments, like Chemistry, but we cant see classrooms or labs, that occupy a great space in a real college, Im sure...

Yeah, that's one of the things I've had to stylize to make it work out as a Risk map.
is this going to turn out really cool like the space map.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby fluffybunnykins on Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:32 pm

I find the black on light grey easiest to read; purple on black & green on light grey hardest.
nice details!
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Postby spiesr on Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:59 pm

Letters should not be the same color as the stuff behind them...
Captain spiesr

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:02 pm

---The science letters are the easiest to read, but to ones left of that aren't too bad.

---One thing I notice now that the map almost seems 'too bright'. Almost hurts my eyes to look at the brightness. Perhaps some experimentation with the shades of the continents, or at least the background.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Banana Stomper on Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:04 pm

whats up with the commons building showing cleavage?
Corporal 1st Class Banana Stomper

Postby rocksolid on Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:45 pm

Don't even get started about the admin building...baby got back
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby Banana Stomper on Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:48 pm

DAYYUMMMMMMMMMMM
Corporal 1st Class Banana Stomper

Postby Jota on Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:05 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:-Almost hurts my eyes to look at the brightness.

Is the grey background too bright as well, or just the continents? I can try desaturating them, perhaps. I'd still like them to be light (as opposed to dark), but perhaps I can find a way for them to be light without being bright. Although perhaps even just turning the white neutrals back to match the grey background again might help.

And I am carefully ignoring all of you whose minds are firmly in the gutter. Harrumph, says I. Harrumph.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:56 pm

I think it's the background. Look into the options you noted. But if none of them look alright, it isn't so bright. Just personally couldn't look at it for too long.

--Andy

Postby Jota on Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:36 pm

Here's one alternative color set:

If that doesn't work, I can try others. I'm a little tempted to make the background transparent, but that could cause problems depending on how the paths end up looking.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:39 pm

I think it might have been the quad and the parking lot, that seems alright as it is. What do you (and others) think of it? Feels better on my eyes.

Though the name at the top looks a bit weird, the black at least.

Also what have you considered to spruce up the legend? Add anything else or do you like it as is? I wouldn't mind seeing some books...or perhaps a backpack. Things to experiment.

--Andy

Postby Jota on Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:49 pm

The actual legend itself, I'm probably going to keep as it is. But I'm planning to make the title more interesting and to add some extra little graphics in the blank spaces.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby rocksolid on Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:38 pm

I love the legend. Though maybe a piece of chalk and an eraser at the bottom would be appropriate.

As for colours, I'm a saturation freak, as the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:48 pm

I am inclined to agree with rock's idea about the chalk and eraser...and perhaps a little depth to the tray for it (if it could be easily done).

--Andy

Postby Marvaddin on Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:31 pm

Jota wrote:Yeah, that's one of the things I've had to stylize to make it work out as a Risk map.

I still dislike it. Is that housing thing really important in USA universities? And is administration thaaaaaat significant? And is a football field really needed? Im not sure, maybe our concepts of college are totally different due to cultural differences, but i really believe you would need one building only to the types of engineering... One more to medicine, and related courses (I dont know the names in English), one hospital maybe, one to biology, odontology, physioterapy, etc (maybe the names are not correctly written). Where is the lawyering department, too?

If this is your college, I hope I will never study in it... :lol:
Major Marvaddin

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:33 pm

I really dislike this map for one reason. What is the point of taking over little squares. Like I know its supposed to be a college but it really doesnt come off that way to me how it is.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Marvaddin on Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:37 pm

The worst thing to me is that it isnt even look like a college... although I agree this can be seen as a crossword map more angled.
Major Marvaddin

Postby reverend_kyle on Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:12 am

Marvaddin wrote:The worst thing to me is that it isnt even look like a college... although I agree this can be seen as a crossword map more angled.
Sadly, this is how alot of colleges(at least in idaho) look from the maps of them. Being a high school debater you do alot of debating in colleges and from what I've seen of Idaho State University(Pocatello, ID) and Carroll College(Helena, MT) This is very college looking. It just doesnt seem that EXCITING. It is sort of like the space map. At first everyone was concerned that we would just be conquering little colored circles(like battledome) I just pray jota has something in mind to spice it up like he did the space map.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby qeee1 on Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:47 pm

I disagree about the blockiness. I think it represents something enough to take away from the I'm conquering squares aspect.

Doesn't look like my college, or any I can think of, but then I've only really been to big colleges that would have far more buildings than that, so I can't really comment.

Em... as for the background... Maybe a darker (near black) grey, or black for that matter, and you could change the title or something.

Or... what was wrong with green? If you could get something to look like grass, that'd be nice.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby Phobia on Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:19 pm

theres too much text on it, espicially at the top
Sergeant 1st Class Phobia

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas