Conquer Club

CCU [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Haydena on Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:17 am

It looks mighty cluttered to the north of the map... Maybe consider moving the positions of some of them on the map so it doesnt look so cluttered...
Sergeant 1st Class Haydena

Postby Marvaddin on Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:59 am

gavin_sidhu wrote:I think the sorority house and the fraternity house should be squares. People dont build buildings in those shapes. I like your change to the shape of the Library though.

I agree. And I still dislike it... Few buildings... Is there a University with one building to "Science"? Not even one to exacts and other to biological? It would have more appeal than that housing thing...
Major Marvaddin

Postby Mr. K on Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:45 pm

it seems like a good idea because no matter where i am at least 75% of the people i run into go to, or went to pennstate. (the other 25% wish they did).

Uhh... No, not the case, I promise.

One suggestion I have about the text. Instead of wrapping it with the color of the buildings, I suggest wrapping them all with a black border. The effect you have now makes it look unproffessional somehow.

Also, maybe give the educational buildings more personality. Like name them after famous people (as many colleges do). For example, our science building at Villanova is the called "Mendel Hall", named after the famous Biologist Gregor Mendel. Maybe if you renamed the Biology wing "Mendel" or the Chemistry wing could be "Faraday" or "Bohr" or something along these lines.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby Jota on Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:49 pm

I'm getting the impression that this map is gathering a lot less interest than most maps, and it's making me wonder something: should I keep working on CCU right now, or should I put it on the back burner for a while to work on some of my other map ideas? I'm not sure if it's logical to put a lot of effort into something that doesn't have as much appeal when I could be putting it into something else.

(If it makes a difference to your answer: my next map idea is one that's likely to have a polarizing effect. Like the Crossword, some of you will hate it, but some of you might love it.)

[Edit: And don't you dare say "Try posting the other map, and then we'll decide."]
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby Ronaldinho on Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:52 pm

i know this this dosent have much apeal to many of you 'expert' players but if you have just started then a simple map like this one is very apealing b'cuz it gets you used to the game and might help noobs get better faster????
Sergeant Ronaldinho

Postby kronas on Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:16 pm

man, it looks awsome. must make it, i will play it first!!!
Cook kronas

Postby rocksolid on Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:22 pm

Hmm, Jota, maybe the lukewarmity is because there's no real new bells and whistles on it like you did with the Apocalypse mutant territories. Maybe try the idea that was thrown around many moons ago - supracontinents - you could give a compound bonus for someone holding the Jock supracontinent, i.e. the Athletics complex, the frat house and the sorority house, or a compound bonus for the Revenge of the Nerds supracontinent, i.e. for anyone holding all the academic buildings. Or you could make the quad a territory that doesn't give any bonus on its own, but if you hold it in addition to any other continent, it gives a plus 2 bonus - like the embassies in Tamriel, but universal to all continents. That would be something that's not on any other map, and could give the concept its own cachet.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby Mr. K on Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:36 pm

If it means anything, I feel like my map has been recieved with a good amount of neutrality also. Perhaps the summer's ability to create a wonderful apathy is being reflected in the Map Foundry forummers. Or perhaps both our maps are just not as exciting as we hoped? :P

Either way, I like the way this map is looking. Personally I encourage its completion.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:25 am

If you want I'll surely be harsh on all maps, and be a ruthless ruler of the Foundry. And then of course employ pedronicus to evaluate all new naps (since he loves them), and have marv to critique them only (since he can be a master of brutality). ;)

---As for the map, I don't think it's just yours that is seemingly receiving lack luster enthusiasm. I think that we've nearly reached the point, that new areas of location simply aren't enough for maps. Sure a few unique locations (like I thought this one would be) can carry a map, but it seems as rock said they need to be flashier and catchier. In the how to make a map I addressed the uniqueness quality..and I think all maps need to be inherently unique, which is becoming harder and harder to do in the Foundry. I still think there is hope and room for CCU, along with a few other building style ideas that were tossed around. I particularly like the feel of going from room to room and taking it over. Perhaps you need a gimmick like I think Mr. K noted about his response to marv's post about the need for imagination. Perhaps people can't be left to imagine things on their own. (Take your last map for example, the gimmick works wonderful for the rehashing of an already done location). I'm not saying this map should have a gimmick, but if the masses can't imagine on their own, some guidance must be given.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Marvaddin on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:40 am

AndyDufresne wrote:and have marv to critique them only (since he can be a master of brutality). ;)

Thanks for the sweet words, master :wink: Oh, and I loved be called part of the masses :? In fact, the real problem is that it doesnt look like a college to me.
Major Marvaddin

Postby Jota on Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:51 am

For those who feel that the map doesn't look enough like a real campus, would it look better if I split the colleges of Liberal Arts and Science each into two smaller buildings, rather than a single large one? Or if I just split Science and left Liberal Arts alone? (This wouldn't change the number of continents: Science and Liberal Arts would still be one continent each. They'd just be laid out differently.)
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby spiesr on Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:05 am

This map needs something new or it is worthless.
Captain spiesr

Postby rocksolid on Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:59 am

The topics grouped under the Liberal Arts didn't seem to be the Liberal Arts to me, but I figured it was a difference of nomenclature. Here, things like Sociology would be Social Sciences, while Liberal Arts would just be like Philosophy, Logic etc. So maybe they could do with some building-splitting.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby Marvaddin on Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:40 pm

Are History, Language, etc, really arts?
I believe more structures could add some appeal, and the most the better, but in fact maybe could help more:
- a new feature (although I think one good feature should be kept for another more interesting map).
- use a real college, preferently Harvard, or other known in the whole world (would it be legal?).
Major Marvaddin

Postby fluffybunnykins on Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:37 pm

what the heck's a sorority house, anyway?
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Postby rocksolid on Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:29 pm

Ah fbkins, so many movies you have to see...
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby haha on Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:58 pm

dont have the words outlined with the coler of the contrie
Colonel haha

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:03 pm

---Or perhaps with a darker shade of the continent's color, so it stands out and doesn't blend in so much.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Jota on Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:35 pm

I tried adjusting the shade in the last version, but I guess it wasn't really enough to be visible. I made some darker and some lighter, depending on which seemed to look better.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby Jota on Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:00 pm

OK, hopefully this'll be the last version that involves rearranging continent layouts, and I can focus on more superficial elements from now on:

Notice that I have several (OK, many) different caption styles going here. Feel free to tell me which one(s) you like best.

P.S. Ignore the weird coloring in the chalkboard. It's a GIF compression artifact that I didn't notice until too late and will fix in the next version.

[Edit: And there's supposed to be a link between Non-Fiction and the Parking Lot that I forgot to re-draw after re-arranging things.]
Last edited by Jota on Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

cant wait

Postby nyg5680 on Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:13 pm

when this gonna be ready to play i cant wait pm me if you know
Sergeant 1st Class nyg5680

Postby spiesr on Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:21 pm

Can't read purple names!!!
Captain spiesr

Postby fluffybunnykins on Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:32 pm

rocksolid wrote:Ah fbkins, so many movies you have to see...

yeah? but what is it?!

Postby fluffybunnykins on Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:34 pm

on the label styles: I like the grey outlines, easiest for /me/ to read, anyway

Postby Jota on Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:42 pm

Sororities and fraternities are sort of like long-standing clubs that exist at many universities. They're always named after Greek letters, they usually require require new members to go through some kind of initiation ritual or hazing in order to join, and they often provide their own housing for members outside of the official school residence halls.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas