Conquer Club

Battle of Actium [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

V4 Update Tents and Buildings Change

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:37 am

I wasn't happy with blocks and columns, so i made greek buildings and army tents.

* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:57 am

cairnswk wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:"Octavius also learned formally of his inheritance and adoption by the terms of Caesar's will, which had been broadcast by Marc Antony. By law, the adopted son of Caesar, Gaius Octavius, would now legally be known as Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus."

Source: http://web.mac.com/heraklia/Augustus/Oc ... index.html

This happened before the battle of Actium so at that time he was known as Octavianus. Later he was known as Augustus. Octavian is the Anglicised name given to him like Mark Anotny for Marcus Antonius and thus not his proper Latin name.

Don't always believe what wikipedia says, anyone can write anything in it.

Would you be offended if i stuck with Octavius? Afterall that was his birth name. :)

I am slowly trying to accept it. :) It's hard but I will succeed eventually...hopefully...
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:11 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:"Octavius also learned formally of his inheritance and adoption by the terms of Caesar's will, which had been broadcast by Marc Antony. By law, the adopted son of Caesar, Gaius Octavius, would now legally be known as Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus."

Source: http://web.mac.com/heraklia/Augustus/Oc ... index.html

This happened before the battle of Actium so at that time he was known as Octavianus. Later he was known as Augustus. Octavian is the Anglicised name given to him like Mark Anotny for Marcus Antonius and thus not his proper Latin name.

Don't always believe what wikipedia says, anyone can write anything in it.

Would you be offended if i stuck with Octavius? Afterall that was his birth name. :)

I am slowly trying to accept it. :) It's hard but I will succeed eventually...hopefully...

Ruben...you're a jolly good sport! :)
Private cairnswk

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:57 pm

Looks pretty impressive cairns, but geez... you like to create some pretty intense maps. Give me some time to figure it all out and have a detailed look over it and I'll get back to you. :wink:
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby unriggable on Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:19 pm

I think you should find a way to make those giant boats not bordeer so many countries, they're like the oceans in alexander's empire.
Cook unriggable

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:33 pm

KEYOGI wrote:Looks pretty impressive cairns, but geez... you like to create some pretty intense maps. Give me some time to figure it all out and have a detailed look over it and I'll get back to you. :wink:

Thanks Keyogi
Intense? That's what war is, is it not? At least there is not attack lines running all over the place in this one....LOL
Also Keyogi...as you know I like to try things a lilttle different for variety....it's the spicce of life!

Below is the small version simply upsized to the large version so the army shadows are also bigger than they will be.

Last edited by cairnswk on Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:38 pm

unriggable wrote:I think you should find a way to make those giant boats not bordeer so many countries, they're like the oceans in alexander's empire.

Thanks unriggable...why is this a challenge....is there a prob with them bordering so many terts....the max I can count is 6 terts around Arruntius and M Antonius....let me know? Does this affect overall strategy or make it harder for them to be captured?
Private cairnswk

Postby unriggable on Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:40 pm

cairnswk wrote:
unriggable wrote:I think you should find a way to make those giant boats not bordeer so many countries, they're like the oceans in alexander's empire.

Thanks unriggable...why is this a challenge....is there a prob with them bordering so many terts....the max I can count is 6 terts around Arruntius and M Antonius....let me know? Does this affect overall strategy or make it harder for them to be captured?

Well the person who captures them has a huge advantage, since they have so much fewer bordering countries. Try to make them take up fewer hexagons by making the ship smaller. I think that you're workning on the small version anyways so it should matter too much.
Cook unriggable

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:51 pm

unriggable wrote:Well the person who captures them has a huge advantage, since they have so much fewer bordering countries. Try to make them take up fewer hexagons by making the ship smaller. I think that you're workning on the small version anyways so it should matter too much.

I'm sorry...please explain what "since they have so much fewer bordering countries" means.
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:09 pm

unriggable wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Well the person who captures them has a huge advantage, since they have so much fewer bordering countries. Try to make them take up fewer hexagons by making the ship smaller. I think that you're workning on the small version anyways so it should matter too much.

not really ;)

let's see all the ships.

if L takes Sosius there's no advantage. same # of borders to protect
if S takes lurius there's no advantage. same # of borders to protect
if I takes Octavius not only there's no advantage but he has one more border to protect
if O takes Insteius there's no advantage. same # of borders to protect
if M takes Arruntius not only there's no advantage but he has one more border to protect
if A takes Antonius he has 2 less borders to protect.

so my guess is that the big ships are fine like this.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Gozar on Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:50 pm

Like how it is coming, cairnswk!

It is great how all your maps are unique, and have interesting gameplay aspects.

You keep making them and I'll keep playing them. Love Battle for Austalia, by the way! :D

Cheers

Gozar
Lieutenant Gozar

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:02 pm

Gozar wrote:Like how it is coming, cairnswk!
It is great how all your maps are unique, and have interesting gameplay aspects.
You keep making them and I'll keep playing them. Love Battle for Austalia, by the way! :D
Cheers
Gozar

Hey Gozar!
Thanks...glad to hear you're enjoying them. Yes I try to make something a little different each time.
Private cairnswk

Postby Gwalchmai on Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:05 pm

What sources are you using for the names? You're missing Agrippa, who was probably the guy responsible for Octavian's victory.

As a little extra to the Octavius/Octavian question, Wikipedia is indeed correct on that one. Appian tells us that, although his name should have become C. Julius Caesar Octavianus after his adoption, he dropped the Octavianus part altogether and went by the name of C. Julius Caesar. So instead of Octavian, son of Octavius, he referred to himself as Caesar, son of Caesar. Most of the rest of the ancient world referred to him in the same way (except his enemies) and he is usually called Caesar in the sources. Octavian came into use much later by historians in order to make it easier to distinguish between him and the man we know as Julius Caesar. I remember reading somewhere that he hated the name Octavianus himself, so it's kind of funny that it's how we know him now. Or as Augustus after 27 B.C., which he also probably didn't use himself either.

Incidentally, if you're sticking with Octavius, the G. should be a C. for Gaius.
Corporal 1st Class Gwalchmai

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:21 pm

Thanks for the post Gwalchmai...

Gwalchmai wrote:What sources are you using for the names? You're missing Agrippa, who was probably the guy responsible for Octavian's victory.
various maps available in google. wasn't Agrippa and Octavius on the same ship?
Incidentally, if you're sticking with Octavius, the G. should be a C. for Gaius.
this last bit i don't understand. how could a C represent Gaius which starts with a G? If this is something to do with latin, then pleae let's stick with the G.
Private cairnswk

Postby Gwalchmai on Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:12 pm

No, various sources have him doing different things. If I were in a particularly cynical mood, I might even go so far as to suggest he was hanging around at the back somewhere just in case things went wrong.

Plutarch probably gives the most complete sketch, although by no means the defiitive since other variations are possible for some of the postings.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/pt ... oc=Ant.+65

The battle layout is in the first four lines. His Caelius/Coelius might be a mistake for Sosius, and Arruntius turns up in the next section as being in charge of Octavian's centre.

The C. is to do with the Latin but it is also standard usage in English texts. You won't find G. anywhere (at least, I've never seen it), for all the fact that it is the first letter of Gaius so its not just a case of using C. making it agree with the Latin of the time.

Postby Balsiefen on Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:20 pm

Definatly dont like the hexagons. I dont want another map with thousands of territories called Lj and Ol. Make it so its regions of sea with ships in it
Sergeant 1st Class Balsiefen

Location: The Ford of the Aldar in the East of the Kingdom of Lindissi

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:17 pm

Gwalchmai wrote:No, various sources have him doing different things. If I were in a particularly cynical mood, I might even go so far as to suggest he was hanging around at the back somewhere just in case things went wrong.

Plutarch probably gives the most complete sketch, although by no means the defiitive since other variations are possible for some of the postings.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/pt ... oc=Ant.+65

The battle layout is in the first four lines. His Caelius/Coelius might be a mistake for Sosius, and Arruntius turns up in the next section as being in charge of Octavian's centre.

The C. is to do with the Latin but it is also standard usage in English texts. You won't find G. anywhere (at least, I've never seen it), for all the fact that it is the first letter of Gaius so its not just a case of using C. making it agree with the Latin of the time.

This is the map that I have modelled this map on.

As to G vs C issue, i'd like to stick with G. standing for Gaius. the same as I have M. standing for Marcus.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:22 pm

Balsiefen wrote:Definatly dont like the hexagons. I dont want another map with thousands of territories called Lj and Ol. Make it so its regions of sea with ships in it

Thanks for your comments Balsiefen. Please read the thread to understand why this ships are called so. Everyone had 1 month to vote for options for this map and i don't think you indicated your preference at that time.
Private cairnswk

Postby Gwalchmai on Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:39 am

cairnswk wrote:As to G vs C issue, i'd like to stick with G. standing for Gaius. the same as I have M. standing for Marcus.

M. is the standard abbreviation of Marcus though. If you're going with G. then fair enough (I did vote A for the section on names after all), I just thought I'd mention it because it looked odd seeing something other than the usual C. there.

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:19 pm

Gwalchmai wrote:
cairnswk wrote:As to G vs C issue, i'd like to stick with G. standing for Gaius. the same as I have M. standing for Marcus.

M. is the standard abbreviation of Marcus though. If you're going with G. then fair enough (I did vote A for the section on names after all), I just thought I'd mention it because it looked odd seeing something other than the usual C. there.

Thanks Gwalchmai....I think I would prefer consistency in the use of abbreviations. While i recognise that C. might be the original abbreaviation for Gaius, I think you have to draw the line somewhere in the sand so-to-speak and bring these things into the modern world. Using M. for Marcus and G. for Gaius seems an appropriate abbreviation in modern terms.
Also do recognise that if there were room in the legend for the full names to be used with good clarity and without dropping always to the next line, then I would use full names, so this issue would not arise....but space is a limiting factor. Above all it must be consistent and totally legible. :)

Private cairnswk

Postby Gwalchmai on Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:30 pm

I had meant that it is the abbreviation used in the modern day too, not just back then, but never mind. :)

Postby unriggable on Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:45 am

I meant that if the guy holdiong arrentius for example captures antonius' ship, he has two borders fewer. Then blue has two more borders to put up. Also does CMb border any foreign territories?
Cook unriggable

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:37 pm

unriggable wrote:I meant that if the guy holdiong arrentius for example captures antonius' ship, he has two borders fewer. Then blue has two more borders to put up.

I'll re-examine this and see if i can change anything there.

Also does CMb border any foreign territories?
No. Surely that is clear?
Private cairnswk

Postby Coleman on Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:48 pm

cairnswk wrote:
unriggable wrote:Also does CMb border any foreign territories?
No. Surely that is clear?
It is clear, but it could be made more clear probably. Maybe just reducing the similar color between Dc and CMb.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:56 pm

Coleman wrote:It is clear, but it could be made more clear probably. Maybe just reducing the similar color between Dc and CMb.

I'll alter the background colour Coleman...thanks for your post! :)
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas