Conquer Club

Supermax: Prison Riot! [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby hulmey on Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:46 pm

No, there are loopholes and im not a lawyer...But lack said that if you as k permission to get copyright and you dont receive an answer then its no problem....

Also look at it from prison breaks or any films point of you view, more advertisement!!!

I have seen Star wars remakes on youtube with tiny budgets like $10,000. Think people make this copyright issue alot bigger than it actually is. A copyright is there to protect the interests of the company, i dont really think a map on a free games site is gonna bother them or any1
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby edbeard on Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:59 pm

the map isn't really about a prison break, it's a riot. Also, if you're going to make a "Prison Break" map then you'd need to include characters and all that. I doubt mibi wants to take this map in that direction
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby hulmey on Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:04 pm

Only mibi knows what mibi wants to do. Im just putting up a suggestion and if he dont like it he wont take it on board i imagine!!!

Also theres no need to go into characters or even make it look like the actual fox river prison at all.
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby dominationnation on Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:01 pm

Ive been thinking about a map like this for a while so I have a few susgestions to add. First off Im guessing that the guards will be neutral right? I think that if you are going with the gang theme everything except the cells should be neutral. I think that you could add in guard towers so with ranged attacks. If they ever make he motion sensers than you could have the door in the yard inmpassable unless you have either the territorys with keys or enough territorys in front of the door. I think that you could add in some obbjectives. If you have the "keys" the "door" and any 10 territorys outside the fence then you win.
Cook dominationnation

Postby icemonkey on Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:40 pm

I think different security levels is a really cool idea, as well as guards start neutral, this map sounds like a ton of fun
Corporal icemonkey

Postby mibi on Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:32 pm

dominationnation wrote:Ive been thinking about a map like this for a while so I have a few susgestions to add. First off Im guessing that the guards will be neutral right? I think that if you are going with the gang theme everything except the cells should be neutral. I think that you could add in guard towers so with ranged attacks. If they ever make he motion sensers than you could have the door in the yard inmpassable unless you have either the territorys with keys or enough territorys in front of the door. I think that you could add in some obbjectives. If you have the "keys" the "door" and any 10 territorys outside the fence then you win.

yeah the guards will be neutral, at least the guards in the cell blocks. maybe 5 neutrals for each cell block guard and 1 or 2 for each guard in the guard area, i dunno. there are two guard towers which can attack one way into the yard. they have the arrows. im not so sure about the keys and such, its not even possible and a bit complicated. we'll see, good suggestions tho.
Captain mibi

Postby mibi on Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:59 am

Changes:
1. added neutral army numbers to the "on-duty" guards so all prisoners start 'locked' in their cells.
2. added one 'off-duty' guard in the guard quaters, removed a blank space.
3. added two weapons in the guard area
4. increased bonus numbers
5. added 1 neutral army to the blank spaces.
6. weapons now have 4 neutrals except for the 2 in the guard area which have 3

115 territories now.

i didnt want to put neutrals on all the guards so some players could start and try to take control of the guards in the beginning, to try and restore order.

Captain mibi

Cool...

Postby Keredrex on Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:22 am

Do the Guards Get A -1 for being in the hole?.... Which kinda doesn't make sense to me.. or does the -1 apply to just the cells in the hole?

I still think you need Differing symbols for each ( shields for the guards, etc. ).... staring at the map those circles of color start to become very smiliar....
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Postby gimil on Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:39 am

I think all guards should start nutral and an extra gang added. make the guards give negative bonuses. Lets the guards act as a deterent.

Also are u goingto change the layout of the map. I dont see it as important just change the size of diffirent blocks and have it less symetrical if u know what i mean.
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: Cool...

Postby mibi on Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:23 pm

Keredrex wrote:Do the Guards Get A -1 for being in the hole?.... Which kinda doesn't make sense to me.. or does the -1 apply to just the cells in the hole?

I still think you need Differing symbols for each ( shields for the guards, etc. ).... staring at the map those circles of color start to become very smiliar....

the -1 is just for the 5 cells, and i will put in a different circle for the guards once i do a graphic update
Captain mibi

Postby mibi on Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:27 pm

gimil wrote:I think all guards should start nutral and an extra gang added. make the guards give negative bonuses. Lets the guards act as a deterent.

Also are u goingto change the layout of the map. I dont see it as important just change the size of diffirent blocks and have it less symmetrical if u know what i mean.

i dont like this idea. I want a player to be able to play as the guards if they choose. and the map is very symmetrical. just the cell blocks are the same, it is a prison after all..
Captain mibi

Postby The Random One on Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:31 am

mibi wrote:
gimil wrote:I think all guards should start nutral and an extra gang added. make the guards give negative bonuses. Lets the guards act as a deterent.

Also are u goingto change the layout of the map. I dont see it as important just change the size of diffirent blocks and have it less symmetrical if u know what i mean.

i dont like this idea. I want a player to be able to play as the guards if they choose. and the map is very symmetrical. just the cell blocks are the same, it is a prison after all..

The problem is that, since a player's team (I believe) is chosen by the order s/he joins the game, then people won't really play as guards if they "want", they'll just end up being a guard. Oh well, maybe being pickier about your color is one of the things that the new XML features will bring about.

(Or maybe you could make it so the red player is the guards; then, if you want to play as them, you just have to start the game yourself.)

Oh, and I think you should change La Nuestra's name, it's too similar to Cosa Nostra and doesn't have the slightest Latino gangbanger feel IMO. Name it Los Carniceros or something else more vicious.
Cadet The Random One

Postby mibi on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:43 am

why the f*ck is this is the map ideas sub forum? this is clearly a map in development.

this is retarded.
Captain mibi

Postby DiM on Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:50 am

mibi wrote:why the f*ck is this is the map ideas sub forum? this is clearly a map in development.

this is retarded.

welcome to the club. i worked many hours creating my prison map and i'm also in the ideas thread. :wink: i guess our maps are no different from the 1 post threads about human body moon brain starwars and any other idea that's been posted a million times.

:lol:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby dominationnation on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Its not a big deal but the list of gangs are crooked.
Cook dominationnation

Postby DiM on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:17 pm

dominationnation wrote:Its not a big deal but the list of gangs are crooked.

it's a verry verry rough draft. :wink:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby dominationnation on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:21 pm

DiM wrote:
dominationnation wrote:Its not a big deal but the list of gangs are crooked.

it's a verry verry rough draft. :wink:

oh okay. well no gameplay comments yet.
Cook dominationnation

Postby KEYOGI on Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:02 pm

mibi wrote:why the f*ck is this is the map ideas sub forum? this is clearly a map in development.

DiM wrote:it's a verry verry rough draft. :wink:

AndyDufresne wrote:...the Map Ideas Sub-Forum will be where maps get the start on development. To move into general Foundry Discussion, there needs be some sort of plan, and a working image (other than MS Paint or pencil/paper). Once we see those, we'll move it into 'production', essentially.

The point of moving some threads was to try and set an example. I'm trying to encourage people to actually post their initial drafts in the appropriate forum.

Mibi and DiM, I guess you two think you're above the new process. Just because you two have maps on the site/in development doesn't mean you get to skip the first step.

I realise that this map will be developed, but if anybody else had of posted those draft images there would've been no complaints about the thread being in the ideas forum. Get off your high-horse and set an example for other cartographers to follow. :wink:
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby DiM on Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:07 pm

KEYOGI wrote:

AndyDufresne wrote:...the Map Ideas Sub-Forum will be where maps get the start on development. To move into general Foundry Discussion, there needs be some sort of plan, and a working image (other than MS Paint or pencil/paper). Once we see those, we'll move it into 'production', essentially.

The point of moving some threads was to try and set an example. I'm trying to encourage people to actually post their initial drafts in the appropriate forum.

Mibi and DiM, I guess you two think you're above the new process. Just because you two have maps on the site/in development doesn't mean you get to skip the first step.

I realise that this map will be developed, but if anybody else had of posted those draft images there would've been no complaints about the thread being in the ideas forum. Get off your high-horse and set an example for other cartographers to follow. :wink:

no keyogi we're not above the system but look at the bolded part of what andy said.

tell me i don't have a working image. i've spent hours creating my 3d image. isn't that enough?
Major DiM

Postby mibi on Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:46 am

DiM wrote:
KEYOGI wrote:

no keyogi we're not above the system but look at the bolded part of what andy said.

tell me i don't have a working image. i've spent hours creating my 3d image. isn't that enough?

yes exactly. we both have spent hours on our maps. i have spent hours going over the gmaeplay and having om discussions with coleman, samus and others about this map. the only thing that isnt flushed out is the graphics. its ridiculous that my map is in the ideas forum, since it is OBVIOUSLY a map in development.

the only one on their high horse is you, keyogi, who feels the needs to superfluously exercise your mod powers.

what is this new process you speak of? when will this thread be moved to the regularly foundry? where are the guide lines? when does something go from an idea to a real map? it seems the answer to that is "whenever the mods feel like it" which is a joke, as are these sub forums.

whos bright idea was this anyways.
Captain mibi

Postby DiM on Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:05 am

mibi wrote:
DiM wrote:
KEYOGI wrote:

yes exactly. we both have spent hours on our maps. i have spent hours going over the gmaeplay and having om discussions with coleman, samus and others about this map. the only thing that isnt flushed out is the graphics. its ridiculous that my map is in the ideas forum, since it is OBVIOUSLY a map in development.

the only one on their high horse is you, keyogi, who feels the needs to superfluously exercise your mod powers.

what is this new process you speak of? when will this thread be moved to the regularly foundry? where are the guide lines? when does something go from an idea to a real map? it seems the answer to that is "whenever the mods feel like it" which is a joke, as are these sub forums.

whos bright idea was this anyways.

they just posted an announcement for the foundry process. it says you need 2 graphic updates to prove you're in development.
i posted something like 10 updates but still nothing. now i was requested severat angles. i posted 9 angles. let's see what happens.
Major DiM

Postby Wisse on Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:15 am

you 2 need to calm down a bit...
i don't think you saw the new sticky

keyogi isn't overpowering his mod power:
first of all in the new stickey they posted the guidelines

andy wrote:The Map Ideas forum will be place where all new map ideas, new maps, and REVAMPS start. A map will start in this ‘Heating’ phase. When map production starts we will be looking for a few things:
    a. the map, first and for most, must have some sort of clear plan of how production will go. Most of the time, this is pretty self-explanatory for basic maps, but as we are stepping into realms all the time in the Foundry with more and more complicated maps, it’s best to find a plan and make it work early, rather than trying to find one mid-way through production.

b. the map must have a working image (either of the small or large map). This working image must be beyond the ‘rough draft’ state. I.E. the working image can’t be a pencil/paper drawing or an MS paint image. We’d like to see at least two graphical updates while the map spends it’s time in this early stage of the Map Ideas forum. And from the ‘How to Make a Map Thread’ the image must follow these guidelines:

Include a working legend with speculative bonuses, tentative border divisions, names, barriers, colors and textures, aesthetic images (I.E. compasses, picture designs, etc), and background image (I.E. ocean or something to discriminate the playing field).

A map should be ‘inherently unique either in game play, location, or style’ . Maps that aren't just the same tried and true formula from the Classic Map disguised will be more successful.

Every effort should be made to acquire express written consent for a map based on Copyrighted works. In the event that no response is given by the Copyright holders, the map can still be made, but must consist of completely original artwork.

Host the image using Photobucket.com or something similar. The type of image file must be PNG, GIF, or JPEG. You must design two versions (eventually) of the map: a small (up to 600 px wide), and a large (up to 800 px wide). Height is flexible, but it is recommended that you do not exceed 350 px on small maps and 600 px on large maps so that users will not need to scroll down to attack.

c. the map (or the post) must also include a few basic things for easy reference such as: number of countries currently on the map, the number of continents, descriptions of any unique features or areas, and the title of the map must indicate the page with the latest development of production (I.E. ‘Update – Pg 3, and please, no use of [brackets]: use (parentheses), --dashes--, or “quotes”).

d. the map must have some honest and interested discussion. If no one seems to support your idea or it lacks much appeal, it most likely won’t make it to the next stage.
Once a map has met these early guidelines it will be moved out of ‘Heating’ stage into the next and main stage of development into the Foundry.

secondly yours is just a raw draft isn't it mibi?
and dim's map doesn't even have countries yet,
so i don't think they are ready to go to the normal foundry yet
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby mibi on Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:24 am

Wisse wrote:you 2 need to calm down a bit...
i don't think you saw the new sticky

keyogi isn't overpowering his mod power:
first of all in the new stickey they posted the guidelines

andy wrote:The Map Ideas forum will be place where all new map ideas, new maps, and REVAMPS start. A map will start in this ‘Heating’ phase. When map production starts we will be looking for a few things:
    a. the map, first and for most, must have some sort of clear plan of how production will go. Most of the time, this is pretty self-explanatory for basic maps, but as we are stepping into realms all the time in the Foundry with more and more complicated maps, it’s best to find a plan and make it work early, rather than trying to find one mid-way through production.

b. the map must have a working image (either of the small or large map). This working image must be beyond the ‘rough draft’ state. I.E. the working image can’t be a pencil/paper drawing or an MS paint image. We’d like to see at least two graphical updates while the map spends it’s time in this early stage of the Map Ideas forum. And from the ‘How to Make a Map Thread’ the image must follow these guidelines:

Include a working legend with speculative bonuses, tentative border divisions, names, barriers, colors and textures, aesthetic images (I.E. compasses, picture designs, etc), and background image (I.E. ocean or something to discriminate the playing field).

A map should be ‘inherently unique either in game play, location, or style’ . Maps that aren't just the same tried and true formula from the Classic Map disguised will be more successful.

Every effort should be made to acquire express written consent for a map based on Copyrighted works. In the event that no response is given by the Copyright holders, the map can still be made, but must consist of completely original artwork.

Host the image using Photobucket.com or something similar. The type of image file must be PNG, GIF, or JPEG. You must design two versions (eventually) of the map: a small (up to 600 px wide), and a large (up to 800 px wide). Height is flexible, but it is recommended that you do not exceed 350 px on small maps and 600 px on large maps so that users will not need to scroll down to attack.

c. the map (or the post) must also include a few basic things for easy reference such as: number of countries currently on the map, the number of continents, descriptions of any unique features or areas, and the title of the map must indicate the page with the latest development of production (I.E. ‘Update – Pg 3, and please, no use of [brackets]: use (parentheses), --dashes--, or “quotes”).

d. the map must have some honest and interested discussion. If no one seems to support your idea or it lacks much appeal, it most likely won’t make it to the next stage.
Once a map has met these early guidelines it will be moved out of ‘Heating’ stage into the next and main stage of development into the Foundry.

secondly yours is just a raw draft isn't it mibi?
and dim's map doesn't even have countries yet,
so i don't think they are ready to go to the normal foundry yet

yeah i didn't read the sticky. but i still think its lame. was there some problem with the foundry that i was unaware of? now it just seems that the maps in the ideas thread just get less views and feedback than before. I guess it will be a while before supermax makes into the 'development' stage, since i have a few more game play updates to do before i even attempt to put some final graphics on it. and i guess i have to do 2 graphic updates for some reason so yeah, this map will be 80% done before it's considered 'in development'.
Captain mibi

Postby Wisse on Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:28 am

if it will be 80% ready before it goes to the next stage, then it will be ff in no time, so don't worry
but i think that if you are out of your draft form it isn't 80% done, and that this will be moved to the main foundry
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby DiM on Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:52 am

Wisse wrote:if it will be 80% ready before it goes to the next stage, then it will be ff in no time, so don't worry
but i think that if you are out of your draft form it isn't 80% done, and that this will be moved to the main foundry

the main part of a map is the gameplay. right now mibi is working on that. after the gameplay is 100% done he will tackle the graphics. and as we saw he has great skill and his first gfx image is usually very close to the final stage. it's not like other map makers where they do dozens of graphic updates. he nails it from the first few tries. so basically the map will have a 100% set gameplay and 99% gfx and then it will be moved to development. it might seem ok, but actually it's not because the ideas sub-forum is rarely visited because it's full of crappy threads and junk. so this means the map will get very few comments. after it goes to the main forum with a 100% set gameplay and 99% gfx, lots of people will notice the map and other feedback will start coming, feedback that might request total gameplay and/or gfx changes. this is crappy because the map maker would either refuse the suggestions because the requests are about already discussed issues and hence the map will be of a lower quality, or if the map maker decides to listen to the new suggestions he'll then work a lot more because he has to redo a lot of things. as a result tension and frustration will appear.

if i wouldn't have my prison thread here i wouldn't even bother to enter this subforum and i bet a lot of people don't bother either. as a result the maps get less views and less feedback.
Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas