Conquer Club

Solar System ERROR FIX v1.0.2 (w/ PSD files) [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby maxdetjens on Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:06 pm

I might have to eat my words. It occurs to me that the classic map has near black army circles. I will have to seriously consider that possibility.
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby maxdetjens on Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:57 pm

61 Territories, 7 regions, 5 sub regions, Alternating Jump Gate Bonus

Changes:
- Removed double stroke on letters and change their colors to match region
- Darkened and reduced detail in army circles
- Darkened Routes
- Reduced size of JG graphic
- Reduced Saturn’s glow
- Changed name on map to contentious “Jump Gates” to highlight that feature.
- Moved Titan
- Changed the Color of Kuiper Belt to Green (the orange was too close to Jupiter and Asteroid Belt)

What remains:
- Make a symbol Key
- Jump Gate Text should explain that all gates are connected. (obvious but but probably helpful to a few drunks)
- Final proof for spelling.

Open Questions:
- Jump Gate Bonus Structure
- Region Connections and Choke Point (elimination/addition)
Last edited by maxdetjens on Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby Pious on Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:30 pm

With the jump gates neutral, 61-7 would be 54. That means:

9 territories each for 6 player
10 territories each for 5 player, with 4 neutral
13 territories each for 4 player, with 2 neutral
18 territories each for 3 player
18 territories each for 2 player, with 18 neutral

I think that sounds like a reasonable amount of territories.
Lieutenant Pious

Postby Bean_ on Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:04 pm

I think the minuses on the jump gates are too big. If someone goes through the effort of amassing all 7, any opponent can knock him down 7 armies (to -3 even!) by taking any one of the gates. Under those circumstances, I don't think the gates will be collected, only held lightly for travel.

Maybe something like -1,0,-1,-1,-2,-1,0 works better as they are already quite valuable for travel and forting.
Major Bean_

Location: Secret undisclosed location in a former Bugger base between Mars and Jupiter

Postby Bad Speler on Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:20 pm

The area around Jupiter looks way to crowded
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Postby Night Strike on Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:57 pm

This latest version is much improved. Much easier on the eyes. I don't know if I like how all of Saturn can be protected from just 2 access points (high and low orbits) even without the jump gate. Plus how the high orbit is the access to the rest of the map, without using the jump gates. I also think you should remove the one-way paths.
Major Night Strike

Postby snufkin on Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:22 pm

not too fond of being the spelling police but it´s got to be done sooner or later anyway: central saturn and central neptune
The comet cometh!
Sergeant 1st Class snufkin

Postby Night Strike on Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:41 pm

Equatorial Zone. (Jupiter)
Major Night Strike

Postby maxdetjens on Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:04 am

Asteriod Belt ( in the legend ) . Man I'm an Idiot.

Thanks for your eyes NightStrike and snufkin!
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby KEYOGI on Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:12 am

maxdetjens wrote:it's 800x600 now. I was under the impression that that was the maximum recommended size. Am I mistaken?

You are not mistaken. A lot of cartographers are pushing the limits of map size due to the amount of territories, but there is absolutely no need for this map to be made any bigger.

The main area of confusion for me is in the legend, perhaps see if you can structure it a bit differently. I'd also consider some different options for your signature. Maybe a different font and a little less obvious so it doesn't look like part of the map.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Night Strike on Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:22 am

I just noticed the new title.........I don't think it fits. I know it's the contentious part of the map, but the focus is the solar system, not the gates.
Major Night Strike

Postby maxdetjens on Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:32 am

Night Strike wrote:I also think you should remove the one-way paths.

What is your concern about them?

The one way paths are meant to represent the heavy cost acting against planetary gravity. I.e., A ship launched needs to refuel on a moon before leaving. I also makes the bonus areas somewhat less bunker-like (though in the current version holding a high orbit solves that problem.)
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby Night Strike on Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:50 am

maxdetjens wrote:
Night Strike wrote:I also think you should remove the one-way paths.

What is your concern about them?

The one way paths are meant to represent the heavy cost acting against planetary gravity. I.e., A ship launched needs to refuel on a moon before leaving. I also makes the bonus areas somewhat less bunker-like (though in the current version holding a high orbit solves that problem.)

I suppose that reasoning makes sense. Connecting the high orbits of Neptune & Saturn and then Uranus & Jupiter may help army flow.

You need to make the attack lines darker connecting the space territories to planetary territories: you can't see them presently.
Major Night Strike

Postby maxdetjens on Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:18 am

Night Strike wrote:I suppose that reasoning makes sense.

GAAAH! you were supposed to refute my logic so that i could justify throwing them out and save that room on the map! Now i probably will need to add some more. :)

Connecting the high orbits of Neptune & Saturn and then Uranus & Jupiter may help army flow.

Agreed and I have just the way to do it. The Kuiper Belt Objects are really more Trans Neptunian objects so should at least connect partially to Uranus.
I was thinking of also throwing in one or two centaurs which would could act a s a hub of high orbits for all the gas giants.
Also I can make better use of the greek and trojan camps.

You need to make the attack lines darker connecting the space territories to planetary territories: you can't see them presently.

Agreed. They currently have a fade on them that i will toss out in the next version

THANK YOU ALL! The input I'm getting from all contributers to this thread is invaluable. (valuable?)
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby maxdetjens on Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:56 am

Night Strike wrote:I just noticed the new title.........I don't think it fits. I know it's the contentious part of the map, but the focus is the solar system, not the gates.

Word!
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby Night Strike on Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:54 am

I would remove the connection between the High Orbit of Jupiter and Eunoma Family: both territories already have way too many connections. Amalthea is far enough away that you should knock out it's connection to Jupiter's lower orbit.

You can control the Kuiper Belt and all of Neptune for a +7 bonus from only 3 entry points......there needs to be another.

Removing the one way between the High Orbit of Saturn and it's Rings would at least make the map consistent. I would remove it all together (no two-way path).
Major Night Strike

Postby maxdetjens on Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:35 pm

62 Territories, 7 regions, 5 sub-regions, Alternating Jump Gate Bonus

Changes
- Kuiper Belt renamed Trans Neptunian Objects (because only some of them are kuiper belt objects)
- The TNOs were moved so that they mingle with the outer giants a lot more (reality)
- The two cis-Neptunian centaur asteroids Chiron and Chariklo were added because they orbit between Saturn and Uranus and can be used for connections (reality)
- The connections with the Trojan asteroids (Greek camp and Trojan camp) were changed to add some routes in the Jupiter, Saturn asteroid belt orbits.
- The jump gates were each attached to a nearby moon making them more useful for attacking and more urgent for defense. (forcing you into that hard choice regarding their alternating bonuses)
- A moon of Jupiter was dropped (1 dollar says you probably cant think of the name of it without checking) Which is fine. The remaining four are the familiar Galilean moons. Jupiter has 60 or so moons and a set of rings, and a few dozen storms, bands and zones, and a gigantic magnetosphere and as much as I’d like to add them all I just don’t have the space (Jupiter only map anyone?)
- The title was changed back.
- Spelling fixed (but probably not all of it)

What remains:
- Make a small version (wish me the best)
- For you to throw me a parade.
Last edited by maxdetjens on Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby Kaplowitz on Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:40 pm

\:D/ =D> :mrgreen: :twisted: 8) :D PARADE
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Pain Killer on Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:55 pm

the jump gates are not that well put out, i had to look 5 min on the map to find them all, could you try to make them more visible, possibly try another picture than the 4 points.
second the legend still looks like it ocupies much of the map, but i guess nothing can be really done about it.

in rest the map looks absolutly superb. =D> great job.
Lieutenant Pain Killer

Postby maxdetjens on Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:06 pm

Pain Killer wrote:the jump gates are not that well put out, i had to look 5 min on the map to find them all, could you try to make them more visible, possibly try another picture than the 4 points.

What if i put a glowing white rim on the army circle?
second the legend still looks like it ocupies much of the map, but i guess nothing can be really done about it.

I hate that too. Any ideas are appreciated. I would actually like to give 2 one point sub-region bonuses for the TNOs but haven't because I'm out of room on the legend.
in rest the map looks absolutly superb. =D> great job.

your a gentleman and a scholar.
Cadet maxdetjens

I like BUT

Postby Keredrex on Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:51 pm

it looks REALLY CROWDED.... I see what you are trying to do and there is definitely potential but you need to clean it up a bit......especially if you make the small version...
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Postby Pain Killer on Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:26 pm

maxdetjens wrote:

I hate that too. Any ideas are appreciated. I would actually like to give 2 one point sub-region bonuses for the TNOs but haven't because I'm out of room on the legend.

try putting the legend in somekind of frame, at least not to be confused with the other names on the map.
and an idea for the jump gate bonuses, instead of putting them vertical try arranging them also horrizontal (sp.) like in USApocalypse, just a thought you could save up a bit space there.
Lieutenant Pain Killer

Postby maxdetjens on Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:13 pm

62 Territories, 7 regions, 5 sub-regions, Alternating Jump Gate Bonus

Changes:

- Intensified the glow of the Jump Gate army circles to make them stand out a bit more
- Change up the key and put it in a box.
Cadet maxdetjens

Postby Bad Speler on Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:42 pm

Jump gate problem seems solved for me. Im not sure about the box around the legend though, it looks odd when it crosses Saturns rings

Also, one of the main reason your map looks crowded is that there are too many attack lines
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Postby gimil on Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:34 am

\:D/

looks much better now :wink:

i do have concerns at the moment:

-your army circles are ppixalated.
-I also think the bonuses are off.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas