Conquer Club

Poker Club [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Which version is easier to see the army numbers on?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:09 am

Version 12
22%
Version 13
78%

Total votes : 9

Postby Tieryn on Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:01 pm

If we go for connections defined by words, rather than position, it would make sense to have the cards spread out in a way that is aesthetically pleasing and easy to get army circles into. Something like this might be an idea, but each suit would need to be spread out further than currently shown, and perhaps separated into 4 "fan" piles on the green felt surface, with chips stacked up around the place.
Sergeant 1st Class Tieryn

Re: Poker Map

Postby yeti_c on Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:03 am

Just a cheeky bump to mention that I'm bringing this map out of vacation/abandonment...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby jiminski on Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:08 am

Excellent Idea!
Captain jiminski

Postby yeti_c on Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:40 am

And here is my first draft of a layout and rules...

Click image to enlarge.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Re: Poker Map (Page 1 & 4)

Postby TaCktiX on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:03 am

I like the rules, and I think the bonuses are fairly in-line with the difficulty of getting hands. But a few questions:

- What about the possibility of a lucky drop in a smaller player game, causing a guy to have 3 of a kind at the start? Will there be neutrals, or will that just come with the "territory"? (pun unintended)

- Graphics I know will improve, it being a first draft, but what sort of randomness are you planning for the map proper? Exactly as shown, or will cards move around on the layout as more possibilities are explored?

- Why am I not surprised that the XML guru of CC is going to code an XML nightmare?
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby gimil on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:11 am

Good to see this one back yeti. For the time being im going to watch this from afar.

For the XML an I correct in saying you had something that could generate a large part of teh XML for you?
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:18 am

my biggest problem with this map is that in 1v1 it has the potential to be a total screwup.
in my opinion chances are that the first player to go might even get the highest bonus.
i mean, in 1v1 each player gets 17 terits. for sure he will have a bonus of at least +4 and in some cases maybe even the royal flush
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby jiminski on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:26 am

DiM wrote:my biggest problem with this map is that in 1v1 it has the potential to be a total screwup.
in my opinion chances are that the first player to go might even get the highest bonus.
i mean, in 1v1 each player gets 17 terits. for sure he will have a bonus of at least +4 and in some cases maybe even the royal flush

why only 17 terits per person in a 1 v1 ? i am missing something won;t it be 26? ... or do you add 18 neutrals?
Captain jiminski

Postby yeti_c on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:27 am

DiM wrote:my biggest problem with this map is that in 1v1 it has the potential to be a total screwup.

A valid point this is... I guess that could be tweaked with neutrals - but should we?

Remember of course - that yes he probably will start with a +4 - but every other map starts with +3 remember.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:28 am

gimil wrote:For the XML an I correct in saying you had something that could generate a large part of teh XML for you?

Nope.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:33 am

TaCktiX wrote:I like the rules, and I think the bonuses are fairly in-line with the difficulty of getting hands. But a few questions:

- What about the possibility of a lucky drop in a smaller player game, causing a guy to have 3 of a kind at the start? Will there be neutrals, or will that just come with the "territory"? (pun unintended)

- Graphics I know will improve, it being a first draft, but what sort of randomness are you planning for the map proper? Exactly as shown, or will cards move around on the layout as more possibilities are explored?

- Why am I not surprised that the XML guru of CC is going to code an XML nightmare?

a) see response to DiM...

b) Yeah - WM said he'd do the GFX for it - this is my first stab at making the board random across the deck - if anyone can see anything glaringly obvious that could be tweaked then say...
I wanted to get the "face cards" away from each other... and no pairs together... and then spread from top left to bottom right increasingly - so as to make a few combinations possible...

c) Not an XML nightmare - an XML masterpiece!!!!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:42 am

yeti_c wrote:

A valid point this is... I guess that could be tweaked with neutrals - but should we?

Remember of course - that yes he probably will start with a +4 - but every other map starts with +3 remember.

C.

Alternatively - I could create a shit load of starting territories that try to stop Good bonuses... and give everyone starts of 4 or 5 on each terit?

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby gimil on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:46 am

How about giving peach player 4 starting terrs and make the rest nutral? And work the layout around that.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby yeti_c on Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:01 am

gimil wrote:How about giving peach player 4 starting terrs and make the rest nutral? And work the layout around that.

Hmmm - that could work...

Actually - 5 would be better - as that's a hand...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby DiM on Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:04 am

yeti_c wrote:

C.

true but on every other map BOTH players start with +3 so for example in classic you have +3 and kill 1-2 terits from me and then i still have a +3 and a chance to come back.
here if you start with +4 or even more i might begin my turn with just +1. huge difference = game over for me.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:06 am

DiM wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

C.

true but on every other map BOTH players start with +3 so for example in classic you have +3 and kill 1-2 terits from me and then i still have a +3 and a chance to come back.
here if you start with +4 or even more i might begin my turn with just +1. huge difference = game over for me.

Also a valid point - what do you think to Gimils 5 card start idea?

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby conquerAce on Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:16 am

I love this idea but a couple of thoughts:

How about making it more fair and have players start with only two terts. Thus the biggest bonus that is possible is for a pair which is not that big of an advantage. Maybe even have higher number of neutrals on cards of higher rank.

Why is there an extra bonus for a royal flush? It is just a higher straight right?

Would you ever consider a Joker? The joker acts as an Ace unless it completes a straight or a flush. Thus making the strongest hand five aces. I'm not sure what it does to the XML but just a thought.
Major conquerAce

Postby yeti_c on Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:23 am

conquerAce wrote:I love this idea but a couple of thoughts:

How about making it more fair and have players start with only two terts. Thus the biggest bonus that is possible is for a pair which is not that big of an advantage. Maybe even have higher number of neutrals on cards of higher rank.

Why is there an extra bonus for a royal flush? It is just a higher straight right?

Would you ever consider a Joker? The joker acts as an Ace unless it completes a straight or a flush. Thus making the strongest hand five aces. I'm not sure what it does to the XML but just a thought.

Royal Flush is the highest hand you can have in Poker.

Joker makes the XML so much harder.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby conquerAce on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:12 am

yeti_c wrote:

I realize that the royal fuslh is the highest ranked hand but I don't understand the bonus of three extra armies.

a 6-7-8-9-10 straight is beaten by a 10-J-Q-K-A straight but there isn't an additional bonus for having the ace high straight.

Conversely, a 6-7-8-9-10 straight flush s beaten by a 10-J-Q-K-A straight flush so why have the additional 3 army bonus. Odds are the higher value cards will be highly contested terts as you can use them for gaining a bonus with other types of hands but isn't the ace high straight flush just another straight flush? Just looks pretty :D

yeti_c wrote:
Joker makes the XML so much harder.

I kinda figured it would be more complicated.... Just thought if the limitation of the play of the joker could make it a little easier. Like you couldn't use it in a full house of threes over twos just aces over threes.
Major conquerAce

Postby badlouie on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:01 pm

I love the general concept at work here. Anyone willing to work on a project that combines my addiction to Conquer Club and my addiction to poker is to be commended.

As for the 'Royal Flush' bonus, it's a necessity. Yes, it is simply a 'higher straight flush', but in real poker it's incredibly rare. Granted, it should be more difficult to attain than an ordinary straight flush, but it's appropriate to be awarded more points than a run-of-the-mill straight flush.
Private 1st Class badlouie

Postby yeti_c on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:21 pm

conquerAce wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

I realize that the royal fuslh is the highest ranked hand but I don't understand the bonus of three extra armies.

a 6-7-8-9-10 straight is beaten by a 10-J-Q-K-A straight but there isn't an additional bonus for having the ace high straight.

Conversely, a 6-7-8-9-10 straight flush s beaten by a 10-J-Q-K-A straight flush so why have the additional 3 army bonus. Odds are the higher value cards will be highly contested terts as you can use them for gaining a bonus with other types of hands but isn't the ace high straight flush just another straight flush? Just looks pretty :D

If you notice though - the Royal flush is harder in 2 ways...

A) I've spaced the face cards around quite a lot.
B) A straight flush has 2 ends - thus it's easier to maintain cos you can extend it easier... a Royal flush starts at 10 ends at A... it's therefore a lot harder to get and hold.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby conquerAce on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:38 pm

Okay i wasn't sure that that was the final map layout...

But then by point b is any straight that consists of an ace of higher value? It is just as hard to get a straight with A-2-3-4-5...

Only reason I bring it up is that there is a perception that a Royal Flush is a special hand... it's just like other straight flush, just the highest one.... i mean you don't get extra money when you win with it in a poker game why should there be an extra bonus above and beyond the straight flush bonus?

That's all I'm saying.
Major conquerAce

Postby yeti_c on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:44 pm

conquerAce wrote:Okay i wasn't sure that that was the final map layout...

But then by point b is any straight that consists of an ace of higher value? It is just as hard to get a straight with A-2-3-4-5...

Only reason I bring it up is that there is a perception that a Royal Flush is a special hand... it's just like other straight flush, just the highest one.... i mean you don't get extra money when you win with it in a poker game why should there be an extra bonus above and beyond the straight flush bonus?

That's all I'm saying.

Can you get a straight from A-5? Are Aces High & Low or just High? (But then again the point then moves to 2-6 otherwise - except that I've put the A's as far apart as possible!)

But yes - Royal Flush is technically just the best Straight flush... but that's the rules of the poker... and technically you *could* get more money - cos you can bet with complete conviction that you're gonna win - if played correctly then it should make you more money...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby conquerAce on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:59 pm

Yes a straight A-2-3-4-5 is possible and in some games is considered the second best straight-straight flush because it contains the ace which makes it harder to complete.

I was looking at the layout and i can see the royal flush very possible giving someone the opportunity for a lucky drop...

Simply spreading out the face cards won't make it more difficult to get an ace high straight flush... with the layout of the cards now it's very conceivable to make an ace high club straight flush...

Either way I'll ply the map first chance i can...

As for the money thing... i've won more with three sixes than a royal flush. People are just too smart to pay when a royal flush is out there... but that's another thread for a different forum. :D
Major conquerAce

Postby yeti_c on Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:04 pm

conquerAce wrote:I was looking at the layout and i can see the royal flush very possible giving someone the opportunity for a lucky drop...

Simply spreading out the face cards won't make it more difficult to get an ace high straight flush... with the layout of the cards now it's very conceivable to make an ace high club straight flush...

Can you suggest a way to change this?

Note that we may be limiting people to 5 cards at the start anyway - thus ensuring a "good drop" isn't possible.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas