Conquer Club

Poker Club [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Which version is easier to see the army numbers on?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:09 am

Version 12
22%
Version 13
78%

Total votes : 9

Re: Poker Club [Quenched]

Postby utmbrad1 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:51 pm

I am currently playing in a match. One of the problems I am having is seeing where the ownership of the card is. Could it be possible to darken the circle?
Private utmbrad1

Postby G_M on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:14 am

Great idea and really fun as well.

My one problem I find however is that the games are really one sided. If someone grabs an early bonus if a straight or flush (very likely with a good drop) he is virtually unbeatable.
The player without a bonus has to fight through 2/3 neutral fields each with 3 troops before he can break the bonus. This will take 2-3 turns, during which the player with the bonus can just deploy and wait.

Maybe one must stick to 8 player games.

A suggestion is to start all fields off with 2 troops instead of 3.
Click image to enlarge.
Major G_M

Postby pamoa on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:29 am

G_M wrote:Great idea and really fun as well.

My one problem I find however is that the games are really one sided. If someone grabs an early bonus if a straight or flush (very likely with a good drop) he is virtually unbeatable.
The player without a bonus has to fight through 2/3 neutral fields each with 3 troops before he can break the bonus. This will take 2-3 turns, during which the player with the bonus can just deploy and wait.

I agrre there is a balance problem.
Either you lowerneutral to 2 or even 1.
Or you lower the bonus scale, lets say divide by 2.
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby yeti_c on Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:35 am

pamoa wrote:
G_M wrote:Great idea and really fun as well.

I agrre there is a balance problem.
Either you lowerneutral to 2 or even 1.
Or you lower the bonus scale, lets say divide by 2.

Bonus scale shouldn't be touched - as you're missing the other side of this -even if you own the whole map the most bonus you can get is 15.

I might be tempted to lower the neutrals to 2 - but I'd be a bit worried that 1st turn takeouts would be more likely then.

Remember - you can only drop with 2 pair at best - so if player 1 gets a straight - then you've gotta get yourself something better - I can't legislate for that. It's upto you to get the hands.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby G_M on Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:54 am

yeti_c wrote:Remember - you can only drop with 2 pair at best - so if player 1 gets a straight - then you've gotta get yourself something better - I can't legislate for that. It's upto you to get the hands.

C.

Well if someone drops 2 pair, he could theoretically have a full house in 1 turn. The opponent might have 2 neutral cards to go through before breaking th bonus. Basically impossible.
Click image to enlarge.
Major G_M

Postby yeti_c on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:25 am

G_M wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Remember - you can only drop with 2 pair at best - so if player 1 gets a straight - then you've gotta get yourself something better - I can't legislate for that. It's upto you to get the hands.

C.

Well if someone drops 2 pair, he could theoretically have a full house in 1 turn. The opponent might have 2 neutral cards to go through before breaking th bonus. Basically impossible.

Remember - if they have 2 pair - you're more likely to have two pair.

There is NO way to stop any one dropping a bonus - short of only assigning 4 starting cards and limiting the map to 4 players...

That is part of the limitations of the 2 player game. - Many maps here at CC allow dropping of bonuses on the start - a lot of maps here really suck for 2 player - as the 1st player to go strips the other player of many bonuses before they even start.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby gdeangel on Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:14 pm

I have an "aesthetic" comment on this map. This is probably the only map where the territories are colored white, which looks great, but with the number of neutrals, trying to use map inspect with BOB really doesn't work at all. Just want to point this out. An easy way to fix would be to use bigger troop circles that were black or something like that, so that the BOB highlights would show up on them. Maybe someone else has other ideas?
Sergeant gdeangel

Postby Knight2254 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:21 pm

gdeangel wrote:I have an "aesthetic" comment on this map. This is probably the only map where the territories are colored white, which looks great, but with the number of neutrals, trying to use map inspect with BOB really doesn't work at all. Just want to point this out. An easy way to fix would be to use bigger troop circles that were black or something like that, so that the BOB highlights would show up on them. Maybe someone else has other ideas?

I agree with GD.

Also, I think it is far too easy to get a royal flush from clubs. The Ace, Jack, and King are all connected and the other cards are not hard to get. Especially because you pretty much have to get a flush on the way to getting the royal flush based on the the way the cards are setup.
Brigadier Knight2254

Postby yeti_c on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:33 am

RE: BOB - I'm gonna code in a "neutral toggle" so that you can have the neutral hovers in black or white - Notice that CC City Mogul is also affected by this - albeit not as much.

RE: Club Royal Flush - Yeah this one has been pointed out I'm in 2 minds.
a) Leave it there as there have to be *some* ways of getting these bonuses.
b) Swap the Queen over to the right with another queen (possibly hearts). (I need to check the viability of that first though)

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Snowman on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:51 am

Don't know if anyone has pointed this out but on the legend, a Full House is shown as being worth 9 armies but in the gameplay it seems to only give 8.
Sergeant 1st Class Snowman

Postby yeti_c on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:02 am

Snowman wrote:Don't know if anyone has pointed this out but on the legend, a Full House is shown as being worth 9 armies but in the gameplay it seems to only give 8.

All of the bonuses are 1 out - due to limitations of the XML forcing me to award 1 army for territories held.

So - the +1 for territories +8 for the continent = 9.

If this limitation is removed I will recode the XML.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Snowman on Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:05 am

Ah OK, gotcha. Thanks for letting me know
Sergeant 1st Class Snowman

Postby BBoz on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:25 pm

yeti_c wrote:RE: Club Royal Flush - Yeah this one has been pointed out I'm in 2 minds.
a) Leave it there as there have to be *some* ways of getting these bonuses.
b) Swap the Queen over to the right with another queen (possibly hearts). (I need to check the viability of that first though)

I agree, I think the Royal Club Flush seems to be a little easy. Rather than swapping the Queen, I think swapping the jack may be better. Jc with Jh. Considered the diamond, but you bunch up the straight flush over there pretty tight.
Sergeant 1st Class BBoz

Postby danfrank on Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:23 pm

I assume this map is in beta because you want people to criticize it so to say.. I thought i read a post that commented on the top half being difficult to read.i agree. The perspective on this map should be from a top view and not from one that appears like your sitting at a table .. By making the perspective from a top view all territories(cards) will be of equal size and reading the map while playing will be easier.
Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby yeti_c on Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:50 am

danfrank wrote:I assume this map is in beta because you want people to criticize it so to say.. I thought i read a post that commented on the top half being difficult to read.i agree. The perspective on this map should be from a top view and not from one that appears like your sitting at a table .. By making the perspective from a top view all territories(cards) will be of equal size and reading the map while playing will be easier.

Disagree - completely - in fact the territories at the top are easy to read as they have a shadow on them thus making the number show up easier.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Opera Man FL on Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:19 pm

Ok. Just played this for the first time and I like it. However, the member who won had a royal flush and only received 14 troops for it. The board shows 15 should have been awarded. Just some information so an error may be fixed.
Opera Man FL

"Therefore, having been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." (Rom. 5:1 NIV)
"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!" (J.K. Rowling)
Lieutenant Opera Man FL

Postby Opera Man FL on Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:21 pm

OK. Just read the explanation from someone who had a full house. You guessed; I didn't read the previous posts first.
:oops:
Opera Man FL

"Therefore, having been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." (Rom. 5:1 NIV)
"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!" (J.K. Rowling)
Lieutenant Opera Man FL

Postby yeti_c on Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:53 am

No worries - it is a shade confusing - but sadly the only way we can do it (at the moment!)

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby BBoz on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:02 pm

Yeti,

Any progress on some tweaks to the graphics to make things easier to read? It's really hard to find all your armies on this map and keep track of them.
Sergeant 1st Class BBoz

Postby cazmart on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:08 pm

Yeti,

I love this map. I have one suggestion and if has already been brought up then I am sorry for repeating.

Have you given any thought to using a 4-color card deck. If you play much online poker it is an option. I even own 4-color decks for my home poker games.

Hearts - red
Spades - black
Clubs - green
Diamonds - blue

I just think this would make the board easier to read by giving it better color separation....all that red just seems hard on my eyes. Anyway just a thought. Keep up the good work.
Sergeant 1st Class cazmart

Postby HoosierMama on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:48 pm

I'm currently in a game and we're "stuck". One player has free run of the board while 3 of us are trapped next to each other. I think we need more access to other sides of the map. Game #3256716
Lieutenant HoosierMama

Postby yeti_c on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 am

BBoz wrote:Yeti,

Any progress on some tweaks to the graphics to make things easier to read? It's really hard to find all your armies on this map and keep track of them.

I need to catch Widowmakers sometime to discuss this - but we seem to be like two ships passing in the night at the moment.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:03 am

Here I am. Let me talk to yeti and see what we can do.
Major WidowMakers

Postby yeti_c on Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:08 am

OK We've done a new version of Poker Club with a tweaked background to allow for easier visuals...

V12
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

V13
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

And here's a comparison image (V13 on left = V12 on Right)

Vote please.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby pamoa on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:08 am

Sorry to say this but v13 doesn't seems to solve the readability problem.
I think the first step is to put in white all cards that do start as neutral, because it's part of the problem.
It's when you start a game and half of the map is white or worse 80% if it's with "fog" that you have problem in finding all your troops.
For me the problem is not the card bg color but the red and black figures, red above all.
They are graphically too similar with armies numbers and as you can not change the numbers you maybe can act on figure, but I don't know how for the moment.
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas