Conquer Club

Age of Realms: Age of Might [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

what bonus scheme do you want?

leave it as it is
47%
version A
7%
version B
9%
version C
37%

Total votes : 68

Postby Coleman on Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:31 am

Both Andy and I also feel this change should take place... Except in 1v1 tournaments and the other tournament I've signed up for I'm never going to play the map again the way it is now.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby DiM on Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:57 am

Coleman wrote:Both Andy and I also feel this change should take place... Except in 1v1 tournaments and the other tournament I've signed up for I'm never going to play the map again the way it is now.

yes i know you both want it changed you've said it before. :roll:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:08 am

mibi wrote:this map has 58 pages of finished games, but if you take out the 1v1 games, there are only 15 pages. If you take out the speed games as well you are down to 10 pages.

DiM, if you intended to create a quick and easy map for 1v1 then you succeeded, and it is very popular for people looking to use the map in that sense. But somehow, I think you intended the game play to be a bit more epic, and last beyond 10 rounds. Perhaps not, thought. Either way, don't mistake this maps popularity for success, unless that is your only criteria.

Of course I don't expect you to listen to the people clamoring for change anyways, so I will stay out of this thread.

I agree with Mibi...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby DiM on Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:22 am

actually i don't agree at all.

let's see

we have 67 total pages.

if we check 3,4,5,6 p games casual and speed we have 22 pages

so you see it's not just about 1v1 games there are 22 pages of 3-6player games which and if we check these results with the other recently quenched maps we'll see that madness solar and western front with all their games 1v1 or 6p speed or casual got only 23 pages together.

so 22 pages for aor:might without the 1v1 is still more than the other maps achieved and almost the same as they achieved together.

so yes the map is very popular in 1v1 but it is also very popular in the other forms.

sorry mibi but bringing numbers in the discussion is wrong, no matter how you twist and turn them the map is still popular, regardless of number of players game type speed or casual.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby MOBAJOBG on Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:30 am

Well, I've made a distinct discovery that Age of Realms: Might is actually the Wheel of Fortune in disguise after having played 19 games and lost 9 of them.
Major MOBAJOBG

Postby DiM on Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:36 am

MOBAJOBG wrote:Well, I've made a distinct discovery that Age of Realms: Might is actually the Wheel of Fortune in disguise after having played 19 games and lost 9 of them.

:D
Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:43 am

DiM wrote:
Coleman wrote:Both Andy and I also feel this change should take place... Except in 1v1 tournaments and the other tournament I've signed up for I'm never going to play the map again the way it is now.

When will you listen then?

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby DiM on Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:51 am

yeti_c wrote:
DiM wrote:

When will you listen then?

C.

in chapter 2 :wink:
Major DiM

Postby wicked on Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:08 am

For once I agree with Dim. The map is wildly popular and I don't think it matters how people are playing it. I have to say most everyone I play on it now has figured out the 1v1 strategy, so people are changing it up a bit and games are lasting longer. And we'll continue to change strategy on it as the map ages. Just wanted to throw that out there since some of you may have lost on it once in a 1v1 (or have never even played it in a 1v1) and haven't played it since.

In terms of marketing, you don't yank a popular product just because people came up with another way to use it and are happy about it. No, you're just happy it's selling so well and that the majority of the people are happy with it.
Major wicked

Postby DiM on Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:16 am

wicked wrote:For once I agree with Dim. The map is wildly popular and I don't think it matters how people are playing it. I have to say most everyone I play on it now has figured out the 1v1 strategy, so people are changing it up a bit and games are lasting longer. And we'll continue to change strategy on it as the map ages. Just wanted to throw that out there since some of you may have lost on it once in a 1v1 (or have never even played it in a 1v1) and haven't played it since.

In terms of marketing, you don't yank a popular product just because people came up with another way to use it and are happy about it. No, you're just happy it's selling so well and that the majority of the people are happy with it.

thanks wicked.

also 1v1 against a skilled player can take much more than 4 turns and can go either way. i played 20+ rounds against benjikat in 1v1. :D
Major DiM

Postby benjikat on Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:11 am

DiM wrote:also 1v1 against a skilled player can take much more than 4 turns and can go either way. i played 20+ rounds against benjikat in 1v1. :D

I really don't like this example being used as we were both using the theoretically strongest tactics of deploying and sitting, thereby letting the other player take the pain from the neutrals. I should actually have been more patient and let the game last about 150 turns at which point the dice favour the attacker enough to overcome the neutrals in between to all the other 4 castles.

That doesn't sound like much "fun" does it?

I too was hoping for epic gameplay, but it does feel like Wheel of Fortune in disguise. I find myself now refusing to play the map that I had been looking forward to most :?
Sergeant 1st Class benjikat

Postby Coleman on Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:14 am

I'll be satisfied if whatever Chapter 2 may be meets the kind of gameplay I (and apparently many others) were expecting out of this.

I'll still play this, but only for 1v1 and 6p fog assassin. Everything else doesn't seem to play very well for me.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby DiM on Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:17 am

benjikat wrote:
DiM wrote:also 1v1 against a skilled player can take much more than 4 turns and can go either way. i played 20+ rounds against benjikat in 1v1. :D

I really don't like this example being used as we were both using the theoretically strongest tactics of deploying and sitting, thereby letting the other player take the pain from the neutrals. I should actually have been more patient and let the game last about 150 turns at which point the dice favour the attacker enough to overcome the neutrals in between to all the other 4 castles.

That doesn't sound like much "fun" does it?

I too was hoping for epic gameplay, but it does feel like Wheel of Fortune in disguise. I find myself now refusing to play the map that I had been looking forward to most :?

actually it wouldn't have lasted 150 turns because i would have attacked you sooner or later. and i do think it can be used as an example because the game had strategy in the way i split troops waited for you to take my first castle and then come with the rest and kill you. if i had simply deployed without strategy it would have been your game for sure.

and no it doesn't feel like wheel of fortune. it is full of strategy even in 1v1, if it weren't full of strategy i wouldn't have a 75% win on 1v1 :wink:

edit// to all those that complain:

everybody is free to play it or not play it or simple do what coleman does and play it only with certain settings.
i'm not forcing anybody to play the map and i WILL NOT change it.

sorry if that makes you feel disappointed but i'm not going to change the map because a few people want it changed. i didn't do it with AoM i won't do it with AoR and i will never do it. like it then play it, don't like it then you have 50 other maps to choose from.

end of discussion.
Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:23 am

Coleman wrote:I'll be satisfied if whatever Chapter 2 may be meets the kind of gameplay I (and apparently many others) were expecting out of this.

I'll still play this, but only for 1v1 and 6p fog assassin. Everything else doesn't seem to play very well for me.

Concur.

benjikat wrote:I too was hoping for epic gameplay, but it does feel like Wheel of Fortune in disguise. I find myself now refusing to play the map that I had been looking forward to most

Concur.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby rebelman on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:07 pm

im very hopeful for chapter 2, on the map as is DiM you are right to stick to your guns - the cc "great unwashed" love this map and as I am discovering in general they are getting better at it :cry: - i will continue to join and create games on this map of all shapes and sizes and those of you that think all 1 v 1 games are the same should study an array of my games - im actually amazed at how many diffenrent strategies I have seen opponents use on this map - I am paying close attention to these especially the winning ones as like the Borg I am attempting to assimilate these tactics and strategys.

PS great post wiki (never thought you and DiM would be in agreement on anything - it must be those new living arrangements on the madness map having an effect)
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby gimil on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:17 pm

rebelman wrote:PS great post wiki (never thought you and DiM would be in agreement on anything - it must be those new living arrangements on the madness map having an effect)

lol :lol:
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby edbeard on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:49 pm

There's quite a few things that I'm not fond of about this map. A couple that I haven't seen anyone mention

1. Sanctuary. In how many games have people actually gone after this?

2. So many useless territories. East of the Iron Mine, North of the Blacksmith and North of the Fishery. there are so many territories that I doubt get used in many games. Taking over 3 to get a bonus of 1. I'm not sure how often that happens.

I don't know how I think these should be changed especially because I think the whole thing is quite flawed. But, I'm just wondering what others think about these things.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby cairnswk on Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:03 pm

gimil wrote:
rebelman wrote:PS great post wiki (never thought you and DiM would be in agreement on anything - it must be those new living arrangements on the madness map having an effect)

i knew madness would create some harmony somewhere...LOL
*** cairnswk runs around gleefully waving the kerchief in the air gloating and sneaking peaks in his narcissus mirror length glass in the hallway: glee...glee....glee...."Ummmm, i'm just so much a God" *** :twisted:
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:25 pm

cairnswk wrote:
gimil wrote:

*** cairnswk runs around gleefully waving the kerchief in the air gloating and sneaking peaks in his narcissus mirror length glass in the hallway: glee...glee....glee...."Ummmm, i'm just so much a God" *** :twisted:

I think cairns is back with the sherbert . . .
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:37 pm

gimil wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
gimil wrote:

I think cairns is back with the sherbert . . .

Ah...the Spices of Life... :D
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Bad Speler on Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:12 pm

edbeard wrote:1. Sanctuary. In how many games have people actually gone after this?

I do when I can, extra 2 armies, and its useful for a surprise attack in fog of war
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Postby Rumondo on Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:33 pm

1-1 sequential is a coinflip to whoever goes first unless you have awful rolls or do something stupid you should easily win going first, FoW or not.

1-1 freestyle I have grown to like and play it a lot now. It takes out the coinflip and position will basically be equal (Aoria shouldn't touch Rhit) I've had a lot of success in 1-1 freestyle, but I doubt anyone can honestly get to a 75% winning percentage with sequential.

Most of my games take less than 5 rounds and it is really more timing than strategy. (This is with FoW)
Private 1st Class Rumondo

Postby DiM on Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:02 pm

Rumondo wrote:1-1 sequential is a coinflip to whoever goes first unless you have awful rolls or do something stupid you should easily win going first, FoW or not.

1-1 freestyle I have grown to like and play it a lot now. It takes out the coinflip and position will basically be equal (Aoria shouldn't touch Rhit) I've had a lot of success in 1-1 freestyle, but I doubt anyone can honestly get to a 75% winning percentage with sequential.

Most of my games take less than 5 rounds and it is really more timing than strategy. (This is with FoW)

look at my games in 1v1, they're all sequential and look at my win%
also i might add there are other people with better records than me. it's not a coinflip it's strategy :wink:

edit// just counted my games i don't have 75% i have 73% from exactly 100 1v1 sequential no cards chained fog games.

also if you look at the ranks i played you'll see a lot of high rankers so you can't say i took advantage of unsuspecting noobs.
Last edited by DiM on Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Major DiM

Postby 0ojakeo0 on Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:03 pm

ya sometimes i prefer to go 2nd its definatley a coinflup
Corporal 1st Class 0ojakeo0

Postby Rumondo on Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:23 pm

When I have more time I'll take a look at some games and I'd like to play you in sequential to see how you combat going 2nd. In my head no strategy works going second.
Private 1st Class Rumondo

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas