Conquer Club

Midkemdil [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby jako on Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:52 pm

this maybe just be me but the small map is barely legible. the attack routes are better than before, but is it at all possible to make them clearer? adn the font is still hard to see especially on the small map.

Time to retire this much loved sig of mine with a new clan.
Lieutenant jako

Postby Gnome on Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:53 pm

jako wrote:this maybe just be me but the small map is barely legible. the attack routes are better than before, but is it at all possible to make them clearer? adn the font is still hard to see especially on the small map.

ya your right...but still I think it isn't asked that much to play on the large map...The large map is always better than the small one...I can't make the font bigger on the small map otherwise you just have a map with only text...

And on the big map I'm going to change the dark blue names becous it's indeed hard to read...And the legibility of the legend is taken care of

I'm sorry for the small map but I can't do anything about it...I don't see any problems realy...I can even sit back in my chair and still read it...(And yes the blue will taken care of :wink: )

I just played this map on the table and I'm going to adjust the road between Sethanon, Krondor, Malac's cross and The free Cities becous my brother always wanted to attack The free cities from Malac's cross :)
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby Gnome on Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:18 pm

version 4.3

-Fixed some attack routes
-Made the blue names more legible
-Legend is easier to read
(-cleaned the attack routes that went in the army circles when shrinked to little map)

big map:

*Eastern Kingdom and Middle Kingdom text in the legend, they are very fuzzy and not as clear as the others
* some of the terr names under the blue, red and pink are not as legible as the other.

better like this?
And I can't do anything about red...some colours are just easier to read as others...
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby Gnome on Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:16 am

is there still any interest in this map or should I stop working on it :wink:

by playing this game on the table I noticed edheldar was to difficult to held so I added a new territory 'Deathpass' and I also reduced the bonus to 4 because now it only has 4 borders...

My map count 45 territories with 1 neutral in the beginning so that make it 44...
Should I leave it like that...or should I make it 48 (can be divided by 6,4,3 and 2) but than I have to add 4 territories...

version 5.0

-Fixed some routes (zun <->The free Citys and Harlech <-> Sar-Sarqeth)
-Added 'Deathpass'
-Changed legend

big map:

small map:
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:06 pm

I do like the style of this map, though it is a little in your face, it is refreshingly new.

Hm, perhaps if you played around with the intensity of the grass and mountains, it would make the map a little easier to take in.

Also, I think the map could benefit from having the territory division lines being more prominent...either by color or thickness...but I think color would be easier and look better.

As for the small map, the names are somewhat difficult to read. Perhaps you should consider getting rid of some of the large mountains to the south...cutting the map down a little, so you can increase the size of the rest of the map...if that makes sense. :)

I haven't looked at game play too much, but I'll check that out later.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby oaktown on Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:33 pm

maybe it's my color-blind eyes, but I have trouble working out the attack routes, especially through/over the mountains. I actually like the idea of using roads as attack routes, but they have to be very clearly marked or game play would be extremely frustrating.

Also: the small map definitely suffers from readability... perhaps you could lose some of the unused space around the outside and make everything a bit larger?
Captain oaktown

Postby bonobo`s son on Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:58 pm

great map one important thing for me is that the isle queg is hard to find on the map cause the name isn`t in the legend that is what definetly needs a solution and maybe a sin under in the map with you casn only attack with pads
ImageImage
Major bonobo`s son

Postby Gnome on Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:22 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
Also, I think the map could benefit from having the territory division lines being more prominent...either by color or thickness...but I think color would be easier and look better.

I think you missed a thing :wink: , there are no territory divisions, the brown lines is the attack path

oaktown wrote:
maybe it's my color-blind eyes, but I have trouble working out the attack routes, especially through/over the mountains. I actually like the idea of using roads as attack routes, but they have to be very clearly marked or game play would be extremely frustrating.

I've been looking for some options but I think the routes have to fit in the map so black bolded arrows and so are no option...
And I asked a lot of people and they have no problem with it (this is for the big map)
and the routes through the mountain are maybe a bit difficult to see but when you see a route that guide into a mountain and comes out at the other side you can expect the route continues :wink:

oaktown wrote:
Also: the small map definitely suffers from readability... perhaps you could lose some of the unused space around the outside and make everything a bit larger?

good idea...I'll see what I can do about that, I know the small map needs some work...

bonobo's son wrote:
great map one important thing for me is that the isle queg is hard to find on the map cause the name isn`t in the legend that is what definitely needs a solution and maybe a sin under in the map with you can only attack with pads

I'll add the name "Queg" to the legend and I was also playing
with the idea of an indication that you only can attack with pads

What about the 44 territories, stay like this or try to add 4 new to make it equal divided?
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:31 pm

I'd definitely make the roads than more prominent...and add a gameplay note...as I think they will easily be confused for division lines.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby The1exile on Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:36 pm

Maybe it's just me ()and sorry if this has already been mentioned) but could you modify what I assume to be the desert?

The top edges look a tad pixelly to me and it gives me the impression of pancake mix rather than actual desert. :?

If it's meant to be pancake mix, forgive me :D
Lieutenant The1exile

Postby Gnome on Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:01 am

The1exile wrote:Maybe it's just me ()and sorry if this has already been mentioned) but could you modify what I assume to be the desert?

The top edges look a tad pixelly to me and it gives me the impression of pancake mix rather than actual desert. :?

If it's meant to be pancake mix, forgive me :D

Well I choose to make the dessert the same colour as the beaches because otherwise there will be to much colours...Some already complains it's to "in your face" so I'll see what I can do about the pixelly thing but I tried to change the colour and it doesn't look any better...
besides you assumed it was a desert....you were right:wink:

To andy: I was planning to make a gameplay note but thanks for the advise, I'm working on this map so long that I think its logic but I forget that it's never done and some people won't see it...

Any ideas what to write as gameplay note?
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby Gnome on Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:39 am

First I'd like to say, Thank you for the comments and suggestions, they are always welcome :wink:

Update:
Version 6.0

Large map:
-adjusted the brightness of the attack routes, I think they are very clear now even in the mountains
-'The free cities' is changed into 'Port Natal' (took to much space in the small map)
-Queg is added to the legend
-added a gameplay note (any suggestions?)
-removed some useless attack routes
-pixelly look of the desert is changed

Small map:
-Font is made as big as in the large map
-enlarged the land by cutting of the map borders and some mountains
-same changes as in the large map

large map:

Small map:

Suggestions still welcome about everything
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Good

Postby snefsky on Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:13 am

... but the Kingdom would and could never let Rillanon fall into the hands of Roldem. :)

I like the maps, keep it up. It also ignited the urge to go re-read the series. Goddamn Feist and him never finishing the Crawler saga.
Cook snefsky

Postby Gnome on Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:05 am

if there are no comments left to give, final forge time :wink:

The top edges look a tad pixelly to me and it gives me the impression of pancake mix rather than actual desert.

so I changed it, I think this looks more like a desert :wink:

Here again everything
Big map

Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby Gnome on Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:21 am

Here is everything...If there are no further comments on this map...
(Final forge?)

Big map

Big map [test]

Small map

Small map [test]

Xml file

and like always :wink:
COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS ARE STILL WELCOME :!:
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Awsome work

Postby 2sac on Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:37 am

Wow awsome work. I like how it is mostly the kingdom and only a little Kesh. Novidus would not work on the map so I like that you didn't put it in. when thinking about it I thought it would be to crowded, but you spaced it nicely.
Private 2sac

Postby oaktown on Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:12 am

the trouble with both the desert and the water is that they are flat while everything else has some texture... thus the desert looks like the aforementioned "pancake mix" (clever).

The light army circles get lost on the lighter background of the desert... they don't look transparent as they do elsewhere.

The blues seem too blue, especially the sea... i wish they were a calmer color.

And does anybody else not like the typewriter font?
Captain oaktown

Postby Spockers on Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:36 am

The typewrite font it atrocious. Try finding something that fits the theme. The colour around the labels does them no justice

As much as I want to play a Midkemia map, I think this needs truckloads of work before a final forge.

Graphics, specifically mountains, grass, forests, desers, and general jaggies need a makeover.

Far too many sea routes, please use these sparingly.

And it's far too busy in general.
Private 1st Class Spockers

Postby Rebirth on Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:09 pm

A good idea, though I think there should also be a Greater Kesh/Tsuani Map.
Cadet Rebirth

Postby oaktown on Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:58 am

The army circles really pop out, and army circles are so passé anyway... i don't know the background of this map, but I assume the territories are villages, yes? How about putting the army counts over little 'army villages?'

This map has been bumped to the top of this forum by the PGD, a mapmakers advocacy group.
Captain oaktown

Postby unriggable on Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:58 pm

The mountains are incredibly confusing. Are the passable?
Cook unriggable

Postby Wisse on Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:54 pm

ok i didn't look much to this thread couse i didn't like the map style, but i think its going the good way now, i've got some things for you :)

the arrows are not in the style of the map, i should choose some other arrows if i where you
everything has a texture exept the sea, why?
the north of the brown field has no texture it looks strange to me

the text midkemia is nearly impossible to read, i shouldn't put it in italic if i where you
the text "attack routes, no ....." is pixely and not easy to read, maybe it would be all fixed if the background isn't transparant?
the letter N (from north) and created by Gnome is a bit to much blurry i think
the colours in the legend are a bit to flashy, maybe tone down them but not to much so you can see wich bonus area they present?
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Copy right problems

Postby Kelwynmikel on Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:55 am

There might be some problems with the copyrights
Cook Kelwynmikel

Postby Gnome on Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:21 am

Ok new update

version 7.0

not realy big changes...

Graphics, specifically mountains, grass, forests, desers, and general jaggies need a makeover.

sorry that this map isn't graphically your taste but I was searching for something else and I'm not going to make it look like other maps...I can change some things but I'm not going to do a makeover for all my graphics...

And it's far too busy in general.

I lowered the inpact of the landscape, it all looks a bit darker now...

The mountains are incredibly confusing. Are the passable?

I think you don't get the gameplay in this map...is my gameplay note to difficult?

The army circles really pop out, and army circles are so passé anyway

I'm looking for a replacement :wink:

The blues seem too blue, especially the sea... i wish they were a calmer color.

I made it all darker, better like this?

And does anybody else not like the typewriter font?

better :?:

Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby Wisse on Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:32 am

you didn't see my post??

Wisse wrote:ok i didn't look much to this thread couse i didn't like the map style, but i think its going the good way now, i've got some things for you :)

the arrows are not in the style of the map, i should choose some other arrows if i where you
everything has a texture exept the sea, why?
the north of the brown field has no texture it looks strange to me

the text midkemia is nearly impossible to read, i shouldn't put it in italic if i where you
the text "attack routes, no ....." is pixely and not easy to read, maybe it would be all fixed if the background isn't transparant?
the letter N (from north) and created by Gnome is a bit to much blurry i think
the colours in the legend are a bit to flashy, maybe tone down them but not to much so you can see wich bonus area they present?
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas