This is the most recent version of the map. Basic info is below. Please check the latest posts for updates, to-do lists, concerns, reflections, hopes, dreams, etc.
4 territories begin neutral: those holding the airfields and the artillery.
Wall is unpassable except where indicated between checkpoint territories.
River is unpassable except where indicated by bridges.
Large map size: 750 x 580.
Small map size: 600 x 464 (see page 13 for small map).
Army shadow sizes: 24 pixels L, 20 pixels S (coordinates on page 15)
Bonuses awarded for:
• holding airfields (direct territorial bonus)
• holding all western checkpoints
• holding all russian checkpoints
• holding a MAJORITY of territories within a Sector
The russian tank gun can bombard but not occupy western checkpoints.
You're wondering, what's behind the idea of giving a bonus for holding the majority of a sector rather than the entire thing?
1. it allows me to stay with the four historically accurate sectors,
2. it will make for more open play, as players can be creative about putting their own "continent" together
3. it encourages players to actively fight over one sector, as just one territory can mean the difference between a bonus or nothing,
4. it would make for interesting doubles play, as partners could work together to secure a sector and still receive a bonus for the player with the majority of zones, and
5. it's never been done.
The idea behind the graphics is to make it look like a map that could've been printed in 1961.