Conquer Club

Rail Europe [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby onbekende on Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:01 am

review time!!

I will work via the bonusses

Brabant Express:
4 terr, 3 def, 9 cont => Bonus of 4, make it 4, more then enough for a 4 terr continent with 3 to defend stations. (1.0)
change name to "Benelux Express" (1.1)

Baltic Express:
3 terr, 3 def, 5 cont => Bonus of 3, thus good
Station "SPG", its name in't bolded as everyone elses. (2.0)

Nord Express:
5 terr, 4 def, 10 cont => Bonus of 5, thus good
Station "KLG", its top with clock is different from the other 1 station, 1 line stations, as in you keep the arc in gray and here not (3.0)

Vilnius Express:
3 terr, 2 def, 4 cont => Bonus of 3, but I like your 2, more appropiate, thus fine
Station "VIL" has the same as adressed in 3.0, look at "MIN" next to it how I mean I like it (4.0)

British Rail:
4 terr, 1 def, 2 cont => Bonus of 2, thus good
I can't but wonder that "GLW" station is wider in size then "EDB" or is it my eyes?

Trentitalia:
5 terr, 3 def, 2 cont => Bonus of 3, but I agree with 2, thus fine
station "CBA" and "BSI" don't have that nifty color in there top as the rest of the 1 station, 1 line stations (5.0)
the name of "FLN" is slighty off to the left (5.1)

Orient Exp 1919:
7 terr, 6 def, 8 cont => Bonus of 7, I say 7 is more then fine for that railway (6.0)

Sim Orient Exp 1921:
9 terr, 9 def, 10 cont => Bonus of 10, I say atleast a bonus of 9 (7.0)

Ven-Sim Orient Exp:
6 terr, 6 def, 8 cont => Bonus of 7, I agree, this will be a fought over railway

Train Grande Vitesse:
4 terr, 4 def, 9 cont => Bonus of 5 but I say make it a bonus of 3! yes 3, explaination is at the bottom of post (8.0)

Rail Iberia:
7 terr, 2 def, 1 cont => Bonus of 3, seems failrly nice

EuroCity 174-175:
terr 4, def 4, cont 5 => Bonus of 4, thus good
"PRG" station, you switch colors between the color behind the name and on the sides. (9.0)

Scandanavian Rail:
7 terr, 2 def, 3 cont => Bonus of 3, but I agree on the 2
"HAM" station doesn't has the color of Scandanavian Rail behinds its name (10.0)

Trans Europe Exp:
7 terr, 6 def, 10 cont => Bonus of 7, thus good

Ukraine Express:
6 terr, 4 def, 5 cont => Bonus of 5, thus good

Iceberg Express:
5 terr, 5 def, 8 cont => Bonus of 6, thus good
Why on earth is it called "Iceberg Express"? it links London (LON) - Brussels (BRU) - Keulen (KLN) - Luzern? (LUS) - Paris (PAR), thus why not calling it the Thalys or if a more wider term, HST as in "High Speed Trains" which run between those city's

(8.0): if you hold the TGV's Paris station and NCE station, you have both TGV + Rail Iberia, thus don't overgo on the bonus of those 2, hends I wish TGV = 3
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

V6 Large

Postby cairnswk on Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:59 am

onbekende wrote:review time!!

onbekende...because i change the Ukraine Rail, and also the EuroCity Express, can you please alter your review above to reflect these changes.

The new V6 is below

V6 Large

* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:02 am

That looks better :)

is there any plans for the rail routes them self?

Im not a fan on the 1px line :wink:

EDIT: Also i think taking out the land that over laps the legends is a must do :)

ANOTHER EDIT: alternatively you could take out the blank section of the legends and work the land round that.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby onbekende on Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:09 am

shall overlook the bonusses later but I can tell ou this:

"HSL" naùme isn't centralized, neither is all the Scandanavian ones, "HAM" still misses the 3rd color, "KEV" station has some problems of name centralisations and falling clockwork. "VIE" - "BUD" - "BGD" - "BUC" - "SOF" also suffer from what I know think a layer shifting (correct?)

than again, I note a couple of tings I said not changed/commented/or even argued, so meh
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby cairnswk on Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:19 am

gimil wrote:That looks better :)

EDIT: Also i think taking out the land that over laps the legends is a must do :)

ANOTHER EDIT: alternatively you could take out the blank section of the legends and work the land round that.

GIMIL...I apologise before I say this :wink: but

DON'T YOU GUYS & GALS READ ANY OF THE POSTS THAT I PUT ON HERE OR DO I JUST DO OT FOR THE FUN OF IT TO WASTE MY TIME AND NOT PROVIDE INFORMATION ON WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH THE MAP...FOR ABOUT THE THIRD OR FOURTH TIME

WM IS DOING SOME LINES LATER WHEN EVERYTHING IS IN PLACE.

Now, back to other business. i think the land over the bonus is a nice design feature, so i will probably leave it there. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:23 am

onbekende wrote:shall overlook the bonusses later but I can tell ou this:

"HSL" naùme isn't centralized, neither is all the Scandanavian ones, "HAM" still misses the 3rd color, "KEV" station has some problems of name centralisations and falling clockwork. "VIE" - "BUD" - "BGD" - "BUC" - "SOF" also suffer from what I know think a layer shifting (correct?)

than again, I note a couple of tings I said not changed/commented/or even argued, so meh

onbekende...please refresh your browser, as these irritations have been amended in V6 Large above.

I will attend to all your issues in your review when you re-examine the bonuses and do an edit on the latest version. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:27 am

cairns you didn't have to shout :cry:

I tried my best to keep up with your map :(
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Kaplowitz on Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:31 am

cairnswk wrote:
gimil wrote:That looks better :)

GIMIL...I apologise before I say this :wink: but

DON'T YOU GUYS & GALS READ ANY OF THE POSTS THAT I PUT ON HERE OR DO I JUST DO OT FOR THE FUN OF IT TO WASTE MY TIME AND NOT PROVIDE INFORMATION ON WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH THE MAP...FOR ABOUT THE THIRD OR FOURTH TIME

WM IS DOING SOME LINES LATER WHEN EVERYTHING IS IN PLACE.

Now, back to other business. i think the land over the bonus is a nice design feature, so i will probably leave it there. :)

lol, reading! :roll: who the hell does that?!
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby unriggable on Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:42 am

Why does turkey overlap the legend when there are no stations there?
Cook unriggable

Postby onbekende on Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:02 pm

I changed the stuff about the bonusses where it needed to be changed

onbekende wrote:Brabant Express:
4 terr, 3 def, 9 cont => Bonus of 4, make it 4, more then enough for a 4 terr continent with 3 to defend stations. (1.0)

Baltic Express:

Nord Express:
Station "KLG", its top with clock is different from the other 1 station, 1 line stations, as in you keep the arc in gray and here not (3.0)

Vilnius Express:
3 terr, 2 def, 4 cont => Bonus of 3, but I like your 2, more appropiate, thus fine
Station "VIL" has the same as adressed in 3.0, look at "MIN" next to it how I mean I like it (4.0)

British Rail:
I can't but wonder that "GLW" station is wider in size then "EDB" or is it my eyes?

Trentitalia:
station "CBA" and "BSI" don't have that nifty color in there top as the rest of the 1 station, 1 line stations (5.0)

Orient Exp 1919:
7 terr, 6 def, 8 cont => Bonus of 7, I say 7 is more then fine for that railway (6.0)

Sim Orient Exp 1921:
9 terr, 9 def, 13 cont => Bonus of 10, I say atleast a bonus of 9 (7.0)

Ven-Sim Orient Exp:
6 terr, 6 def, 8 cont => Bonus of 7, I agree, this will be a fought over railway

Train Grande Vitesse:
4 terr, 4 def, 9 cont => Bonus of 5 but I say make it a bonus of 3! yes 3, explaination is at the bottom of post (8.0)

Rail Iberia:

EuroCity 174-175:
terr 7, def 6, cont 7 => Bonus of 7, I say a bonus of 6 shall be sufficient for it (9.0)
"PRG" station, you switch colors between the color behind the name and on the sides. (9.1)

Scandanavian Rail:
"HAM" station doesn't has the color of Scandanavian Rail behinds its name (10.0)

Trans Europe Exp:

Ukraine Express:
6 terr, 3 def, 5 cont => Bonus of 4, make it 4, seeing you only need to defend 3 stations anyway. (11.0)

Iceberg Express:
Why on earth is it called "Iceberg Express"? it links London (LON) - Brussels (BRU) - Keulen (KLN) - Luzern? (LUS) - Paris (PAR), thus why not calling it the Thalys or if a more wider term, HST as in "High Speed Trains" which run between those city's

(8.0): if you hold the TGV's Paris station and NCE station, you have both TGV + Rail Iberia, thus don't overgo on the bonus of those 2, hends I wish TGV = 3
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby cairnswk on Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:06 pm

gimil wrote:cairns you didn't have to shout :cry:

I tried my best to keep up with your map :(

gimil...i know you tried your best...but i also expect you to go back a little ways and read some of what is being written to keep up, and a couple of times this question was ask, and you proceeded to ask it again. One does lose some patience you know! :cry:

However, onwards and upwards.! :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:08 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:
lol, reading! :roll: who the hell does that?!

my point exactly kaplowitz!
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:14 pm

onbekende wrote:I changed the stuff about the bonusses where it needed to be changed

Thanks for doing that.

Brabant Express:

Done

Baltic Express:
Done

Nord Express:

Done

Vilnius Express:

Done

British Rail:

GLW is same width as EDB...done.

Trentitalia:

Done

Orient Exp 1919:

Done

Sim Orient Exp 1921:
9 terr, 9 def, 13 cont => Bonus of 10, I say atleast a bonus of 9 (7.0)

Done

Ven-Sim Orient Exp:

6 terr, 6 def, 8 cont => Bonus of 7, I agree, this will be a fought over railway[/quote]
Done

Train Grande Vitesse:
I'll meet you halfway and make it bonus of four.

Rail Iberia:
Done

EuroCity 174-175:
terr 7, def 6, cont 7 => Bonus of 7, I say a bonus of 6 shall be sufficient for it (9.0)
"PRG" station, you switch colors between the color behind the name and on the sides. (9.1)

Done

Scandanavian Rail:

Done

Trans Europe Exp:
Good

Ukraine Express:
6 terr, 3 def, 5 cont => Bonus of 4, make it 4, seeing you only need to defend 3 stations anyway. (11.0)
Good

Iceberg Express:

I got it out one of the schedules, but can't find it again now. It also goes up to the Alps but there is not enough room to put that alps terr in for Switzerland. LUS is Lausanne in France. WE can look at that one again later.

I'd still like to stick with 4 for TGV, as Nice is part of the TGV. And i think you will have a hard time keepoing those continents if you manage to get them.

Thanks for the preview and all the fixes. :) Fixes made in the version 6 below

Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:17 pm

unriggable wrote:Why does turkey overlap the legend when there are no stations there?

Having no stations there is irrelevant unriggable.
This is simply a art-design feature that i have included for this map, and provides a good placeholder for my sig, :)
Private cairnswk

Postby onbekende on Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:51 pm

now a more stupid idea but heck, why not

you got those nifty clocks there now, why not use them?

LIS-LON-BMH-EDB-GLW set to 3 o clock (already)
rest to 4 o clock
HSL-KLG-VIL-MIN-LVV-KEV-ODS-BUC-SOF-ISL-ATH set to 5 o clock
SPG-MOW set to 6 o clock

althout this may be relevant, you can make the biggest bunch 3 o clock (unchainging) and adjust accordingly
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby casper on Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:28 am

Personally I think there are too many clocks. Kind of distracting. Maybe put clocks on only major stations just like you did with the USA Rail map (which needs to be quenched!). Again, another great map shaping up here.
Major casper

Postby cairnswk on Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:40 am

onbekende wrote:now a more stupid idea but heck, why not

you got those nifty clocks there now, why not use them?

LIS-LON-BMH-EDB-GLW set to 3 o clock (already)
rest to 4 o clock
HSL-KLG-VIL-MIN-LVV-KEV-ODS-BUC-SOF-ISL-ATH set to 5 o clock
SPG-MOW set to 6 o clock

althout this may be relevant, you can make the biggest bunch 3 o clock (unchainging) and adjust accordingly

Thanks for the suggestion onbekende.
I am going to see if i can put the timetables up on the clocks to some degree.....later
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:42 am

casper wrote:Personally I think there are too many clocks. Kind of distracting. Maybe put clocks on only major stations just like you did with the USA Rail map (which needs to be quenched!). Again, another great map shaping up here.

Thanks for the great maps comment casper.

Do you think that also...i looked at that this morning and thought there was a lot of clocks.

I'd prefer this map to have some differences from the USA RAIL....what do others think....are there too many clocks, and if so, should they only go on terminals with more that one station?
Private cairnswk

Postby Gnome on Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:49 am

the clocks don't really bother me...maybe you can make them a little transparent...But for me you don't have to take them away, and I like the idea of the timetable...Some will never notice this detail but others will tell you that your a great mapper with an eye for detail :wink:
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby cairnswk on Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:02 am

Gnome wrote:the clocks don't really bother me...maybe you can make them a little transparent...But for me you don't have to take them away, and I like the idea of the timetable...Some will never notice this detail but others will tell you that your a great mapper with an eye for detail :wink:
OK...i'll see what happens....thanks gnome
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:53 pm

Moving on...the terts around Brussels, Luasanne and Köln are very cramped.

I want to place another two stations on the Glacier Express (stupid me...i've got the Iceberg Express) for probably Chur and St Moritz, and I think these are really important both in terms of the inclusion of Switzerland, and stations in the Alps.

In order to achieve this, the three big stations might have to be moved to the left side of the map, and token icons place on the main map.
Paris will have to move slightly up or down, and the text about gaemplay will probably have to move down to the Med Sea above the legend.

Does anyone have any objection to this occuring?
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:56 pm

Gnome wrote:the clocks don't really bother me...maybe you can make them a little transparent...But for me you don't have to take them away, and I like the idea of the timetable...Some will never notice this detail but others will tell you that your a great mapper with an eye for detail :wink:

Gnome....your signature is oversize....qwert might see that LOL...size restrictions apply also here 150h x 600w.
Sorry, but just getting in before you get trounced on...
Private cairnswk

Postby Gnome on Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:32 pm

cairnswk wrote:

Gnome....your signature is oversize....qwert might see that LOL...size restrictions apply also here 150h x 600w.
Sorry, but just getting in before you get trounced on...

lol thx didn't know that :wink:

oh and besides, I got my inspiration from you, hope you don't mind :wink:
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Re: RAIL EUROPE V6 - Station/Map Design? P5

Postby unriggable on Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:05 pm

cairnswk wrote:Current Version

Let's see...

Bolden the lines to make it easier to see (especially in the small version)
Fix Athens and IRN (wtf) to resemble the stacked look of other multistations.
Fix the tip so that it doesn't say "four way stations" but instead intersecting stations so it doesn't rule out places like paris.
Cook unriggable

Postby edbeard on Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:15 pm

There are 6 terminals with 2 stations that are stacked and 4 that are side by side. For the most part I think they're setup for spacing reasons and occasionally it seems to help the eye separate where the territories are. Though I suppose if it's easy to stack them all maybe it would be better?

One thing you should do is add the yellow line from ATH to SOF

As cairns has said quite a few times, the lines are being replaced by rail once the setup is finalized so widow only has to do it once.

The Paris note is above the Paris station
Lieutenant edbeard

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas