Conquer Club

[Official] Canada REVAMP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby jako on Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:20 pm

congratz on a very good revamp even if some dont agree WM.

Time to retire this much loved sig of mine with a new clan.
Lieutenant jako

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:06 pm

jako wrote:congratz on a very good revamp even if some dont agree WM.
Thanks.
Major WidowMakers

Postby Gilligan on Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:24 pm

Congrats again!
Captain Gilligan

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:28 am

congrats wm even though i would have wanted the white north. :D
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby rebelman on Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:41 am

im a small bit confused this map is quenched but its still the old canada not this one in play, can someone clarify why this is so :?
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby newline on Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:42 am

it take a few minuets for lack to update the server
Sergeant 1st Class newline

Postby Wisse on Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:37 am

gratz
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Coleman on Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:09 am

klupar wrote:it take a few days for lack to update the server
Corrected.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Wisse on Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:47 pm

Coleman wrote:
klupar wrote:it take a few years for lack to update the server
Corroctad.

coorectod
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby cairnswk on Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:50 am

Congrats WM! :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby pepperonibread on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:28 am

Wisse wrote:
Coleman wrote:
Corroctad.

coorectod

Corrected?
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby unriggable on Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:11 am

pepperonibread wrote:
Wisse wrote:
Coleman wrote:
Corroctad.

coorectod

Corrected?

Kurrektad, pepperoni.
Cook unriggable

Postby Night Strike on Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:22 am

I found a difference between the XML and map text. "Gaspes" on the right side of the map is listed as "Gaspe" in the XML. (Game 1121217)
Major Night Strike

Postby rebelman on Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:48 am

WM did a great job but I do believe cc has lost one of its best maps and repaced it with arguably its best (looks wise) and worst (playability). I played the old canada map a lot in 1 v 1 which it was ideally suited to - i realise this is the same layout but it is far tougher on the eye and in my opinion not half as good as the one it replaced purely because its so difficult to see. This map looks good (much more snazzy than old Canada) but this is a games site and in terms of playability this is a vastly inferior map to v.1 and I'm speaking as someone who has 5 active v.2 games going at the moment. This map needs radical corrections to make it playable and even then it still will not match up to the one it replaced.

Had anyone tried to play a game on this before it was released into the public !! I have commented in the past about flaws in maps leaving final forge but this one takes the biscuit. Outside of the fact it fixed something that was not broken - its almost a visually impossible map to play. It does not matter how well a map looks if its as unplayable as this one it should never be quenched.
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby rebelman on Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:13 am

Last edited by rebelman on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Private rebelman

Postby DiM on Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:20 am

i have already suggested in this thread that all revamps should be presented as optional.

simply put 2 more links in the upper right like this:

original map
[refresh] [small] [large]

revamp
[refresh] [small] [large]

i think this would solve all the problems with people complaining.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby rebelman on Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:31 am

DiM wrote:i think this would solve all the problems with people complaining.

nope it wont stop me :evil:

i miss the old map yes, but I believe this new one is flawed in a very significant way, until that has been resolved I will continue complaining, no map should have ever been quenched that discriminates so much against those of us with bad eyesight - as I said on the thread in general discussion until this fundemental flaw is fixed thip map should remain her and not go live.

PS I refuse to turn on the colorblind setting just for this map as this would set a precedence in here that i don't want to set ie maps can be rolled out with no more concern for those of us with bad eyesight.
Private rebelman

Postby rebelman on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:25 pm

and between these 5 threads and this one there has been no reponse thus far from WM. I hope this pattern changes soon
Private rebelman

Postby Optimus Prime on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:34 pm

rebelman wrote:
DiM wrote:i think this would solve all the problems with people complaining.

nope it wont stop me :evil:

i miss the old map yes, but I believe this new one is flawed in a very significant way, until that has been resolved I will continue complaining, no map should have ever been quenched that discriminates so much against those of us with bad eyesight - as I said on the thread in general discussion until this fundemental flaw is fixed thip map should remain her and not go live.

PS I refuse to turn on the colorblind setting just for this map as this would set a precedence in here that i don't want to set ie maps can be rolled out with no more concern for those of us with bad eyesight.

rebelman, I am having a hard time believing that you are pitching such a fit about this in so many different places around the forum. If you can't see the armies because of the colors use the BoB Script (that has now been fixed to work perfectly fine with AJAX) and fade the map by 10-20%. You aren't going to convince anyone to delete the new map.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby Aerial Attack on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:43 pm

OPie,

Unfortunately there are two/three problems with your reply (which I very much agree with - no reason to be stubborn when there is potentially a ready solution to the problem).

1. Not everyone can/will download AJAX BOB. Either they are unaware of it, don't use the proper browser for it, their security system doesn't allow scripts/add-ons, or they just don't trust downloads.

1a. I just downloaded the newest version of AJAX BOB - it's very very nice. Alas in all it's incarnations (2.0 to the new 2.4) and fixes, so far - it has been downloaded fewer than 1000 times [and I know I account for 5 or 6 of those]. My guess is that fewer than 500 people actually have it.

2. Map fade is nice, but you still have to worry about fading the names as well as the areas. Not so much of a problem, but potentially.
Last edited by Aerial Attack on Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Conquer Club Scripts | Bests: 2133, #205
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby rebelman on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:59 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:rebelman, I am having a hard time believing that you are pitching such a fit about this in so many different places around the forum. If you can't see the armies because of the colors use the BoB Script (that has now been fixed to work perfectly fine with AJAX) and fade the map by 10-20%. You aren't going to convince anyone to delete the new map.

optimus you know me from your tournies, i enjoy cc and love telling a yarn but this is something that has me bothered in a significant way - I (successfully) camaigned to have the red numbers changed in D Day as there was what I percieved to be a problem there however this in comparison is far more serious as its much more widespread problem.

I have ajax bob and i do use it (well done yeti) but as was the case in d day when i post i think of those that are in a similar boat but dont visit the forums and post.

I have commented on threads started by others, I only created 2 - one in tournies as until this is fixed I want to avoid this map so I am appealling to organisers not to use it in their tournies (something which the new tournies general discussion fourum is well suited to IMHO) and I also opened a bug report because this color clash is a gigantic bug.

I never said I wanted this map deleted it is visually stunning but the territory colors need to be changed urgently to correct this obvious fundemental playability flaw, that's what I am asking for.

Those of us with poorer eyesight here on on cc should not be discriminated against - that is something I believe whole heartedly in and having played many of the near 60 maps we have here - this is the only one that I would describe as unplayable to me.
Private rebelman

Postby cairnswk on Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:05 pm

Rebelman....can you advise on the specifics of what is the problem here.
What exactly can or can't you see that affects you with this map?
Private cairnswk

Postby Aerial Attack on Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:34 pm

I think the problem is that those with poor eyesight have difficulty differentiating primary colors when overlaid on a variant of that color. This is one of the few maps that does not use the darker/lighter shade army circles around the army numbers. Therefore, the seamless integration into the map makes it more difficult to determine who might be where. I guess for visually impaired persons, the foundry might need to implement a requirement for army circles on any terrs that too closely resemble the colors used for the army numbers themselves.
My Conquer Club Scripts | Bests: 2133, #205
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby cairnswk on Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:43 pm

Aerial Attack wrote:I think the problem is that those with poor eyesight have difficulty differentiating primary colors when overlaid on a variant of that color. This is one of the few maps that does not use the darker/lighter shade army circles around the army numbers. Therefore, the seamless integration into the map makes it more difficult to determine who might be where. I guess for visually impaired persons, the foundry might need to implement a requirement for army circles on any terrs that too closely resemble the colors used for the army numbers themselves.

Understood...thanks aerial attack. Is this simply a case of getting WM to replace the army circles then?
Private cairnswk

Postby TheKidsTrumpet on Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:58 pm

That's what it seems like after reading all the many posts. The army circles seem to be a huge help.
Personal Best: 2344
Winner of: Championship Series: Arms Race
Redemption Pt. 1
Doubles Champion Initech XXV: Olympic Games w/Gilligan
Lieutenant TheKidsTrumpet

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas